Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

He could probably conquer much of the world with the goblin army at his back, but I don't think he has the organisational skill or inclination to hold it after he's wiped out the existing regimes.

Also the Goblin army works for Redcloak, not Xykon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

"I don't support Xykon as an endpoint. I support him as the terrible and unfortunately necessary evil needed to win control of the Gate, whose control would be taken over by the Dark One, who would slowly but surely (or quickly and creation-destroyingly) make the world into someplace that isn't horrible and reliant on constant slaughter of goblinoids." - Redcloak, to his brother, right before he murders and zombifies him.
That one hurt because it is accurate :(

Would it greatly surprise you that I'm also on Redcloak's side and think his flaw wasn't teaming up with Xykon, it was refusing to cut Xykon loose when it became clear either that the alliance wasn't actually that beneficial or when he started getting exactly what he wanted without having to control a Gate?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
:siren: Spell Check :siren:

Some cleric's duels are better than others.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CapnAndy posted:

:siren: Spell Check :siren:

Some cleric's duels are better than others.

Hell yes!

That last spell owns.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
According to Rich's twitter, we are (tentatively) in the middle of the 10-straight-days-with-a-comic portion of the kickstarter rewards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I know people say Durkon is boring but I always liked him. He's the stable one (aside from his rare moments of goofiness) and he has a lot of badass moments.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Buane posted:

According to Rich's twitter, we are (tentatively) in the middle of the 10-straight-days-with-a-comic portion of the kickstarter rewards.

Ah, well, that makes sense then.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Belkar gets a new saving throw every round, he could potentially become free any second.

Also, not sure how the art worked, did that dispel magic fail?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I am so happy to have a constant stream of Order of the Stick, especially for this fight. He might be a little bland, but I like Durkon, and it's nice to see him get a moment to shine before he probably dies.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

greatn posted:

Belkar gets a new saving throw every round, he could potentially become free any second.

Also, not sure how the art worked, did that dispel magic fail?

Malack acted like it failed, but the art suggests otherwise. I suspect he's taking a page from Tarquin's book and is faking Durkon out by pretending it failed so he can set him up for a finisher.

Possibly in the very next strip.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Malack acted like it failed, but the art suggests otherwise. I suspect he's taking a page from Tarquin's book and is faking Durkon out by pretending it failed so he can set him up for a finisher.

Possibly in the very next strip.

Oh I just thought it was unclear artwork. Good call.

Also, based on Malack dodging the hammer swings, I'd say that my guess about him not wearing armour because he has a massive dex score and doesn't need it is right on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pretty sure Durkon would be able to tell if his own spell was ended.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah, Malack certainly does not seem like he's entirely comfortable with this situation.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

greatn posted:

Pretty sure Durkon would be able to tell if his own spell was ended.

Maybe, maybe not. There isn't anything in the rules about getting a free notification when your spell wears off or is dispelled, so it depends on how generous your DM is. Could be Rich is a dick DM. Mind you that would go both ways, so if Durkon doesn't get told when his Mass Death Ward is gone, by the same logic, Malack wouldn't get a notification if, say, Belkar made his save against the Hold Person...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Interesting that the question of how many spells Durkon already cast today is coming up, because just a few hours ago I reread that part and I recall it was really quite a few.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

I know people say Durkon is boring but I always liked him. He's the stable one (aside from his rare moments of goofiness) and he has a lot of badass moments.
ControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeather
ControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeather
ControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherControlWeatherCONTROLWEATHER

greatn posted:

Mr Scruffy has been licking his face the whole time, it's painfully adorable.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 27, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I bet this fight ends with them trading blows for a while, the Hold wearing off, Malack dominating Belkar, and forcing him to help beat Durkon.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
In case anyone else needs the rules, Malack is almost definitely at 1 HP right now.

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed. Even if he's the most static character, he's always been one of my favorites. I wish he got more character focus, but he was arguably the main character of the first prequel book, even more so than Roy.

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
Is Malak's last comment in panel 4 yet another throwback?

Also, with the Mr. Scruffy's actions in the last few comments and also receiving a mention from Durkon this comic, I get the feeling that he's going to be very influential soon. I hope that nothing bad happens to him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's why Malack's first response to Nale back in the palace was so drat nasty.

Harm followed by a quickened Inflict Wounds spell will kill off anything without a boatload of hitpoints. Healing spells (Heal, Cure Wounds) act just like harm spells on the undead.

Of course, if Durkon doesn't have a quickened spell available, Malack can just cast Harm on himself to heal the entire damage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That could be only 75 damage, and given regeneration from previous round damage that's really not a definite. He certainly doesn't look like he made that save though, so he could be at one. Too bad Durkon doesn't have quickened cure light wounds.

Casting harm would of course provoke an attack of opportunity, and Scruffy could gently caress with his concentration check.

greatn fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 27, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

Maybe, maybe not. There isn't anything in the rules about getting a free notification when your spell wears off or is dispelled, so it depends on how generous your DM is. Could be Rich is a dick DM. Mind you that would go both ways, so if Durkon doesn't get told when his Mass Death Ward is gone, by the same logic, Malack wouldn't get a notification if, say, Belkar made his save against the Hold Person...
I can't quite see DM Rich ruling that Durkon doesn't know his Death Ward is still up, and that Malack knows that his G. Dispel Magic worked. Either, but not both.

A probably more important consideration: why would Roy have allowed the party cleric to wander off on his own? Or in other words: did Roy let Durkon wander off alone, or are he and Haley about to barge into the fight?

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 27, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tertiary Stresses posted:

Is Malak's last comment in panel 4 yet another throwback?
Not the joke I got out of it, but that's a good catch!

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Has Rich ever mentioned if he's finished writing the story or given an estimated end date for OOTS?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Using Heal/Harm against a cleric is a pretty terrible idea, they will most likely save at which point you gave up a 150 point heal on yourself for 75 points of damage on the other guy, and that guy can just Heal/Harm himself up to full anyway. Unless off course Durkon included Malack in the death ward, and he failed the saving throw on that spell, then he's quite hosed...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I can't quite see DM Rich ruling that Durkon doesn't know his Death Ward is still up, and that Malack knows that his G. Dispel Magic worked. Either, but not both.

A probably more important consideration: why would Roy have allowed the party cleric to wander off on his own? Or in other words: did Roy let Durkon wander off alone, or are he and Haley about to barge into the fight?

I gave the matter a little more thought, and recalled this scene where it was obvious to both Sabine and Roy that Sabine's buff spells had gone south on her, so it appears that Rich ain't quite that dickish. Therefore, it would seem that Malack did indeed blow his Caster Level check to dispel the Mass Death Ward. Of course he is, as has been mentioned, only a Harm away from healing himself...unless Durkon was sneaky enough to include Malack in the spell as well.

However, I wouldn't expect the cavalry to be on the way. It seemed pretty clear from the disarming scene that Haley's stuck for the long term lest they get vaporized by many traps, Roy is therefore stuck as well, and unlike Durkon's Guidance spell that he can just walk away from, Elan needs to stay in the vicinity for his Inspire Competence to boost Haley's chances, so all three of them are likely out of the scene. I think it's more likely that we'll see V arrive than we will Roy, Haley, or Elan.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 27, 2013

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
From their discussion about Malak not adventuring enough, it seems likely Malak doesn't actually have more Cleric levels than Durkon- the +8 level adjustment makes it much more difficult to gain XP. Durkon actually has a decent shot at this fight.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Regarding Malack being included in the Mass Death Ward, as clever as that would be, most buff spells do allow a saving throw to ignore them. Rich typically doesn't circumvent D&D rules quite so blatantly, unless it's part of a gag. Defeating one of the more likable villains with it is almost certainly not going to happen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oh I know, it's a long shot. But Rich does love to be sneaky sometimes. Not a high probablility call here, but I'll enjoy it if it pays off.

Also, I would like to point out that, like his lost romance with Hilgya, and indeed, the way he was kicked out of the Dwarven Homelands, Durkon is just too drat lawful for his own good. If he ends up dying or getting vamped by Malack (which I guess includes dying), he'l have gone down tragically in the classic sense of the word. That is, he'll have fallen because of his great character flaw which defined him until the end.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Durkon will lose the duel but be saved by great team member Belkar.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

inthesto posted:

Regarding Malack being included in the Mass Death Ward, as clever as that would be, most buff spells do allow a saving throw to ignore them. Rich typically doesn't circumvent D&D rules quite so blatantly, unless it's part of a gag. Defeating one of the more likable villains with it is almost certainly not going to happen.

Death Ward has a will save, but that one is equally as likely to fail as Heal's save. Well, two harder because of the higher spell level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bouncyman posted:

Has Rich ever mentioned if he's finished writing the story or given an estimated end date for OOTS?

I think he's said there are two more books after this one - so the final gate, then... something else?

As to how long that could take - I'd spitball it as a couple of years? But, really, no idea.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

sebmojo posted:

I think he's said there are two more books after this one - so the final gate, then... something else?

As to how long that could take - I'd spitball it as a couple of years? But, really, no idea.

I'm glad it's a while off yet. OotS is amazing, and I would hate for it to end any time soon.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Cauldron Moose posted:

I'm glad it's a while off yet. OotS is amazing, and I would hate for it to end any time soon.

It's strange for me to realize that I've been reading OotS for almost eight years now, since this strip. It's weird to think that one of the constants in the past eight years of my life was this comic, and especially that there's probably another two or so years left to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It should be noted Malack won't die if Durkon beats him. He will turn into gas and fly back to his coffin. Vampire's are some of the hardest undead to kill beaten only by Liches.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Can he fly through sunlight in gas form? Would his protection from sunlight spell persist after turning to gas form if he can't?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The spell will last unless it's dispelled or it's duration runs out as for being allowed to into the sun in gas from the rules don't say so it could be house ruled ether way.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
He can also voluntarily go gaseous and hide until he regenerates.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted Malack won't die if Durkon beats him. He will turn into gas and fly back to his coffin. Vampire's are some of the hardest undead to kill beaten only by Liches.

He might not be able to reach it, considering there's at least one airtight seal in place now. The Draketooths being as paranoid as they were, they probably planned for intruders in gaseous form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Davethulhu posted:

He can also voluntarily go gaseous and hide until he regenerates.

Possibly involuntarily, depending on what he had for lunch.