Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
animes go "oh man time to download vlc and mpc and ccccp code pack and ffdshow and anime(mkv) splitter" and then they only ever use vlc which has all that built in and go "lol wmp doesn't even work!" cause they broke it with bad software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

lol people willingly use windows machines in their free time?

just download mplayerx from the app store

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes people use the best os at home, idk why you find that surprising. altho u are apparently a Linux user downloading xXMPlayerXx from the unbnuntu app store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

polpotpi posted:

just download mplayerx from the app store
i hate give shaggar this ammo, but don't get mplayerx from the app store. it's an old version. it's no longer being updated on there because the author disagrees with Apple's sandboxing policies.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people have to download a working media player for osx. lol. wmp is ftw and comes w/ windows by default. maybe y'all should upgrade your oses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quicktime player handles the bluray rips i make just fine, but apparently some people need mkv for their :filez:

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

quicktime player handles the bluray rips i make just fine, but apparently some people need mkv for their :filez:

Why don't :filez: just distribute HD rips in mp4? That would solve so many of these issues since they are already encoded as h264, is it because mp4 doesn't support their stupid subtitles or what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the autisms that rule ~*TeH sCeNE*~ stuck w/ mkv for hd when they switched from avi to mp4 (which took way longer than it should have).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hard NOP Life posted:

Why don't :filez: just distribute HD rips in mp4? That would solve so many of these issues since they are already encoded as h264, is it because mp4 doesn't support their stupid subtitles or what?
yeah I think it's mostly related to how subtitles and multiple audio tracks are handled that ended up with MKV as the container because it literally does not give a gently caress what you add as a track to a file. i think you can mux a binary as a track in MKV, it doesn't give a gently caress. a player wouldn't know what to do with it, but MKV is content to take whatever you shove down its gullet

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no need for subtitles if its English audio and if its not English audio it should have hard subs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hard subs are retarded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only when the audio is English. otherwise they are correct.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"let me just cover a 2.39:1 film's content with hard subs, when i could be using the black bar space below from my 16:9 HDTV to render the subs"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or do you like manually turning on subs and needing a special container for them?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hard subs should only be used when they are for an alien language or some poo poo aint no one actually speak otherwise its retarded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

hard subs should only be used when they are for an alien language or some poo poo aint no one actually speak otherwise its retarded

like I said, anything other than English.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
does any mp4-like container have support for chapters? mp4? m4v? m2ts? is that information even embedded in the file itself or does some meta file on a blu-ray contain that data.

because if it's a separate file then chapter support is a plus for mkv.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

my mp4 files support chapters and subtitles just fine

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

like I said, anything other than English.

french, italian, spanish, portuguese, etc.

Also why hardcode subs, ever? If the default subtitles/audio options are annoying to you then you can modify those defaults for an mkv easily. If you want them hardcoded well then reprocess the video to hardcode the subs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

chapter titles and even fancy thumbnails too

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow how bad is dxva decoding

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i just dont see why you would use mp4 over mkv ever

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

FamDav posted:

Because it's a standard and is close enough to mkv feature wise, so it's supported by almost every portable media player.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FamDav posted:

because it works on loving everything and not just on vlc and autism-boxes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"what do i need to install to play this mp4?" a question nobody has asked

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wheany posted:

"what do i need to install to play this mp4?" a question nobody has asked
well maybe on linux

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
nah, on linux the first time you double click on an mp4 it makes you pinky-swear that you have a license to play back mp4 and then when you click yes, it will automatically do a thing and then play the video.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Wheany posted:

nah, on linux the first time you double click on an mp4 it makes you pinky-swear that you have a license to play back mp4 and then when you click yes, it will automatically do a thing and then play the video.

sucks about the lack of audio though

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

is that seriously a thing that people still do?

wait, it's because of mkv, isn't it. they download an mkv and it doesn't open in wmp and they install a codec pack instead of vlc of mpc.

Yes. its annoying because the poo poo isn't tested.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sudo Echo posted:

pagancow how bad is dxva decoding

its p good on modern nvidia cards. Can't speak for ATI since I havn't used once since 2005.

It can choke on level 5.1 files at stupidly high bitrates or like 6+ bframes in a row, but I think it depends on what h.264 decoding ASIC is in your GPU.

it's cool that they dont tell you the limitations of hardare h.264 decoding at all when you buy a card, you just wonder "why is this file hosed up?" when you hit it.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 28, 2013

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Hard NOP Life posted:

because then normal people could play it.

lol.

no really the reason is becuase they want to be able to put in HD audio, so people who steal movies and probablly have a broken blown speaker can hear a 7.1 DTS-HD mix.

There are other subtitle issues but it's splitting hairs. (mkv will let you use any subtitle format while .mp4 requires one subtitle format)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what happens is that a user tries to play a .mkv they stole, then it doesn't work so they search "mkv codec pack" or something dumb. and then they get all this poo poo that fucks with their directshow decoder list.

If you want to demux a mkv in your current player, just get the matroska filter.

You will still need something to downmix a 7.1 dts-hd mix becuase it's superior to encoding it into something people could actually hear.

I had this crazy idea, you could also spend money on stuff you want to see so you dont have to sperg out.

dat poo poo cray

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

penta post post post

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pagancow posted:

I had this crazy idea, you could also spend money on stuff you want to see so you dont have to sperg out.
well i buy blurays and then i like to rip them

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, lemme just go and make this bluray into poo poo quality so i can store a hundred of them on my htpc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hard NOP Life posted:

Because AC3 audio isn't supported in MP4 containers. All the SD releases of TV shows use AAC audio and mp4 containers.

Shaggar posted:

the autisms that rule ~*TeH sCeNE*~ stuck w/ mkv for hd when they switched from avi to mp4 (which took way longer than it should have).
The scene standard is to use MP4 containers if the audio is AAC.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

yeah I think it's mostly related to how subtitles and multiple audio tracks are handled that ended up with MKV as the container because it literally does not give a gently caress what you add as a track to a file. i think you can mux a binary as a track in MKV, it doesn't give a gently caress. a player wouldn't know what to do with it, but MKV is content to take whatever you shove down its gullet
Nope, it's all about AC3 audio, which is standard in ATSC television broadcasts (because American standards are bad) and on BluRay discs.

Only the ~anime fansubberz~ and ~anime ripperz~ care about subtitles and and all that other crap, but they are not the scene, and they don't care about the scene standards.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 28, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shaggar posted:

animes go "oh man time to download vlc and mpc and ccccp code pack and ffdshow and anime(mkv) splitter" and then they only ever use vlc which has all that built in and go "lol wmp doesn't even work!" cause they broke it with bad software.

ffdshow in wmp owns and I think they've had the option to make it work in wmp for some time now

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

hard subs were good in night watch. in fact they were amazing in night watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i just wish there was a separate "compressor-enabled" audio 2 channel stereo audio track available on all movie discs (bluray or dvd) so that if you don't have a ballin home theatre you can still set the volume and let it be without constantly "turn up so we can hear this quiet part / gently caress gently caress turn back down its explosion time"

• Locked thread