Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gooby on rails posted:

Myst stuff

At one point you have to replay a piece of music from memory (or paper) and some people are just innately bad at that. There's an enormous maze which is navigated in the first person with no guidance other than subtle abstract audio cues and any map you might care to draw yourself.

More Myst stuff

The hilarious thing about this is that the tones wouldn't play on a not insignificant number of computers when it was released. After hours of loving around with that drat puzzle, and not making any headway as to what we were even supposed to be doing, the friend I was playing it with and I decided that the game was bullshit and quit playing it for good. Ruined the Myst series for me for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Good lord the N64 port of Resident Evil 2, just remembering that train wreck brings back nightmares.

The Gamecube had the same problem with ports as the N64 if at a slightly lesser degree. I remember some games like SSX had content just straight up cut out of Gamecube port because those weird proprietary disks couldn't hold the data that other versions required.
Ahh, Resident Evil 64. One of those Things That Should Be Impossible like SNES Doom. I believe the guys who made that went on to do Red Dead Redemption!

And yeah, the Gamecube had like, 1.8gb of space on its weird little discs.

Mak0rz posted:

Very few N64 games actually streamed music because it takes up a huge amount of space on the cartridge. Often the tracks had to be lowered in quality. Here's where the PSX has the major advantage over the N64 (and you saw that in the Quake II video up there). Still, some streaming tracks turned out pretty good despite the limitations.

Gloom Keep (Quake 64)

Though, often not without sounding like a low bitrate mp3 downloaded from Napster:
Doom 64 theme (original)
Heh, the Gloom Keep and Doom 64 theme you linked are also sequenced/MIDI! Audrey Hodges did a lot of clever stuff with MIDI in Midway's Id ports. Things like very short samples (or game sound effects) played at very low bitrates to create forboding ambient effects.

Red_Mage posted:

On a non-myst note has anyone tried Generations Arena?

It seems to be a Q3A mod that is basically Samsara but for Quake. You pick a class (Doomguy, Quake Ranger, Quake 2 Ranger Wolfenstein Soldier, or Quake 3 Gladiator) and deathmatch it out with that class's weakneses and strengths.
I remember trying this out years ago. I vaguely recall most servers being Ranger-only because Quake 1 deathmatch.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Zaphod42 posted:

I will give you that there got to be some arbitrary puzzles in the sequels, one of the last puzzles in Riven is pretty stupid hard and almost requires you to look it up on gamefaqs or buy the guide.

It's just a map! It makes perfect sense if you pay any attention at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, Riven's puzzles were basically perfect, it's still one of my favorite games ever released (and I disliked Myst).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Ahh, Resident Evil 64. One of those Things That Should Be Impossible like SNES Doom. I believe the guys who made that went on to do Red Dead Redemption!

More classic-FPS-on-a-console facts: SNES doom wasn't even running on the Doom engine!

The Kins posted:

Heh, the Gloom Keep and Doom 64 theme you linked are also sequenced/MIDI! Audrey Hodges did a lot of clever stuff with MIDI in Midway's Id ports. Things like very short samples (or game sound effects) played at very low bitrates to create forboding ambient effects.

That's interesting! Quake 64's soundtrack is really something and knowing that it's sequenced just makes it more impressive. Though, I have difficulty believing that the Doom 64 theme isn't just a looping low-bit sample of the PSX theme. Where did you get that info?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 27, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

That's interesting! Quake 64's soundtrack is really something and knowing that it's sequenced just makes it more impressive. Though, I have difficulty believing that the Doom 64 theme isn't just a looping low-bit sample of the PSX theme. Where did you get that info?
The sampling tricks were explained by Hodges himself in an interview. As for the theme, it uses the same sound engine as the rest of the game and is shorter and less complex. Here's the N64 and PS1 versions as a comparison:

Doom 64
Doom PSX

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That's not the version of the theme I'm referring to. Check the links in my post :)

EDIT: Looks like he posted a high-quality version on his Bandcamp page.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

That's not the version of the theme I'm referring to. Check the links in my post :)

EDIT: Looks like he posted a high-quality version on his Bandcamp page.
Oh, doy. It uses the same samples as the one I originally linked. There's only 1mb or so of music samples in the N64 version, so I'd guess it basically uses chopped up stems from the PS1 version as "instruments". I might poke around the ROM data and see how close to the mark I am, cause I'm curious now...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

The data in the ROM is basically MIDI data in a different format. If you're comfortable reading code, you can look here (in Sound.c and Sound.h) how they get converted back into actual Standard MIDI File format for use in the Doom64 port. Also SndFont.c and SndFont.h contain the code for turning the samples into an SF2 soundfont.

Funny thing is that in Doom64 EX, as a result, the gunshots, monster shouts, and other sound effects are also MIDI as a result. Things sound kinda surprising if you use General MIDI mapping to listen to them. You'll have to use the soundfont created by WadGen if you want to hear them how they are supposed to sound.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I can't listen to this anymore without expecting a "Ding!"

Speaking of, what's the theme song in Reelism, that is past the Doom 64 part?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mak0rz posted:

More classic-FPS-on-a-console facts: SNES doom wasn't even running on the Doom engine!

And a tie-in fact: Quake, Duke Nukem, and Powerslave all used the same engine on the Sega Saturn.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't listen to this anymore without expecting a "Ding!"

Speaking of, what's the theme song in Reelism, that is past the Doom 64 part?
The title screen from, of all things, Madden '98.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Everything you mentioned to me, as a flaw, seems to explain why modern games suck. No part of Myst was "use the cheesecloth on the chandelier", everything made sense. You had to learn, you had to take notes? That's awesome! Although as I said before, Riven kinda took it too far, so I could see that as being a bit much... Hah, I guess Myst counts as first person, but we're getting off topic, definitely not a shooter.
I think the real part of why games like this are dead is due to how ubiquitous game guides have become, to the point where pretty much every single game even has it's own wiki now. I think most game developers have kinda given up and pretty much just include the guide in the game now. While part of of me appreciates Skyrim telling me exactly where to find a certain guy or place, on the other hand searching for the Ashlander's camp for ages throughout a blasted wastland, and then just finally stumbling upon it through a huge ash-storm that obscured visibility to mere metres in Morrowind was simply incredible. You'll never get that feeling with quest markers (You could disable them in Skyrim of course, but considering that they don't actually give you any directions to the places or people you have to see makes it pointless)

Also the PSX Doom is great for the music and sound effects...I need to find a way to play PC Doom with them enabled.

In some relatively minor Duke Nukem HRP news, one of the modellers has left the scene but not before giving us an amazing new Duke Nukem and Cycloid Emperor model. I'm still not a fan of the HRP, but those models are amazing and way better than the old ones.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Myst and Riven were great because the puzzles were actually puzzles and not just gussied up menial tasks. Complaining that a game all about puzzles makes you write stuff down and think about how things operate and interact with each other is like complaining that a crossword doesn't just give you the words and tell you where to put them.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The notion that Myst is a difficult game is depressing to me.

I'd encourage anyone who likes quality games to play Myst 2-4 at least once. Beautiful, well designed games. Myst 1 is great too, but the graphics may throw you off.

Avoid Uru though. I wasn't a huge fan of 5, either.

Red_Mage posted:

Its not even like, difficult. Its arbitrary. It expects you to right down every dumb detail about every room and try applying each one to everything that can move in any other room. Its design team either really liked hintbooks or really liked those huge conspiracy theorist walls with the string and the random letter to number cyphers proving John Lennon is the antichrist.

This is seriously, without exaggeration, one of the wrongest posts I've ever read on this forum.

EDIT: Also, anyone with a hankering for a Myst like challenge should check out the Rhem series. Well designed games, with perhaps a little too much emphasis on information gathering. The other caveat is that the graphics are truly horrendous.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 27, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Good lord the N64 port of Resident Evil 2, just remembering that train wreck brings back nightmares.

The Gamecube had the same problem with ports as the N64 if at a slightly lesser degree. I remember some games like SSX had content just straight up cut out of Gamecube port because those weird proprietary disks couldn't hold the data that other versions required.

Are you kidding me?
Besides the lovely compression on FMV (and maybe audio?) almost everything else was fantastic.
Less delay between screen transitions, better looking textures on models, it even has a superior control scheme since it gives you the option to turn off tank-controls and act like a modern 3rd person game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

And a tie-in fact: Quake, Duke Nukem, and Powerslave all used the same engine on the Sega Saturn.

This also explains why Powerslave/Exhumed was such a good game on the Saturn. It felt kinda like a long-lost cousin to Metroid Prime.

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

Install Gentoo posted:

Noticeably, that means Quake III for the PS2 didn't support it while Quake III for Dreamcast did.
I believe the port of Quake III Arena on PS2 was handled by Bullfrog Productions, of all companies, before they became defunct.

Also of note, Quake III ran at 60 fps on PS2 (with dips here and there) while the Dreamcast version ran at 30 fps. Also, while it results in a bit of extra noise, the lack of mipmaps on PS2 actually works better with the style of Q3A resulting in sharper textures at a distance. The DCs aggressive mipmaps turned everything into soup just a few feet from the camera.

quote:

This also explains why Powerslave/Exhumed was such a good game on the Saturn. It felt kinda like a long-lost cousin to Metroid Prime.
Powerslave PSX also appears to use roughly the same engine unlike the PC version which used the Build engine.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Question about Quake 2, is KMquake2 still considered the best source port?
If so, is the mouse scaling in KM2 off? I mean it feels like one of the axis is less sensitive than the other, can I fix that in console/autoexec?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The "Q2 starter" from tastyspleen.net uses Q2PRO, as does nQuake2, so I assume that's the multiplayer client of choice.

Dunno what the singleplayer pros and cons are of the various engines, I'd be interested in hearing about that myself.

If you want to independently fiddle with the mouse axes you can try changing m_pitch and/or m_yaw.

Edit: Judging from this thread discussing Q2PRO and R1Q2 http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/5941/nquake-for-quake-2 it seems that Q2PRO is still iffy on the singleplayer side.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 27, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jblade posted:

Also the PSX Doom is great for the music and sound effects...I need to find a way to play PC Doom with them enabled.

How about the whole package? Playstation Doom is a TC for Zdoom.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 27, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

How about the whole package? Playstation Doom is a TC for Zdoom.

I used to have a WAD called "Console Doom" that I thought was the Playstation TC. Not sure where I got it (doesn't seem to be on the idgames database) but I don't have it anymore. Are they the same, I wonder?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I used to have a WAD called "Console Doom" that I thought was the Playstation TC. Not sure where I got it (doesn't seem to be on the idgames database) but I don't have it anymore. Are they the same, I wonder?
Console Doom was a mixture of maps from all the console ports that the Doom 64 Ex guy did back in the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

horse mans posted:

If you're thinking of playing Myst for the first time, or again, I urge you to consider the port RealMyst. It's a fantastic, completely faithful remake in a nice 3D engine. It looks loving fantastic and will make you remember why you loved Myst in the first place.

Honestly I don't like realmyst. I find it to be lovely 3D graphics, it looks even more dated than Myst IMO. Yes, you can mouselook and walk around, but the rest of the game takes a penalty for it. The game wasn't designed to be viewed that way. If you freak out without smooth FPS controls, then play realmyst, but otherwise make yourself get the myst anniversary HD edition or whatever. It looks good and plays the way its supposed to.

Both are on Good old Games for cheap.

Also the rest of the Myst series is great, 2 and 3 are my favorites. 5 Lets you do full WASD FPS action like RealMyst, although 5 was my least favorite.

Listen to the guy who says to ignore Uru, it was godawful.

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

Zaphod42 posted:

No sir, I cannot get behind that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dark1x posted:

No sir, I cannot get behind that.
Really? perhaps I'll take another stab at it, I've beaten all the other Myst games and I do own Uru on GOG.

The controls... are just so bad though. So horrendously bad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I never played Myst because I assumed it was insanely hard. Maybe I should check it out.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I never played Myst because I assumed it was insanely hard. Maybe I should check it out.

I think it just requires you to pay attention. Buy a cheap notebook and write down anything that seems important.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's more tedious and trial and error rather than hard. Like in that speedrun I posted, if you find all the solutions the actual doing them takes 80 seconds or so.

dark1x
Sep 11, 2012

it's payback time

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? perhaps I'll take another stab at it, I've beaten all the other Myst games and I do own Uru on GOG.

I don't recall having any issues with the controls, to be honest. For me, I felt that Uru nailed atmosphere in a way that no other game in the series managed. I loved it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So re: Brutal Doom -- In the latest test version, the chaingun sprite got swapped out with one they had been working on for a while. Not sure how I feel about it, overall, although having the animated belt of ammunition is pretty cool. They also scaled back the really aggressive recoil that v18 added, which I strangely enjoyed.

The ironsights for the rifle got replaced (again) with some weird sprite that makes it look like you're putting the buttstock against your sternum. Am I the only person who liked the v18 ironsights? They took up a lot of screenspace but they felt loving great :zaeed:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

It's just a map! It makes perfect sense if you pay any attention at all.

I thought he was talking about the animal noises puzzle which is straight up undiluted bullshit, on account of the sound balls sounding nothing like the animals themselves, and half of the "animals" actually being rock formations and the like that only look like the animal if you already expect to see it. And half of the animal pictographs in the cave looking nothing at all like the real animals either!

What they were going for was kind of cool, but as implemented, gently caress that puzzle.

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I don't like realmyst. I find it to be lovely 3D graphics, it looks even more dated than Myst IMO. Yes, you can mouselook and walk around, but the rest of the game takes a penalty for it. The game wasn't designed to be viewed that way. If you freak out without smooth FPS controls, then play realmyst, but otherwise make yourself get the myst anniversary HD edition or whatever. It looks good and plays the way its supposed to.

The problem with Myst: Masterpiece Edition is that the graphics are slightly better ("slightly" as in "you won't notice unless you're specifically looking for the differences"), but they gutted most of the music to fit the "improved" graphics on a single CD.

Realmyst is seriously the best version of the game. All of the music is intact, the controls are fine, it looks as good as the original and the gameplay is all unchanged.

Install Gentoo posted:

It's more tedious and trial and error rather than hard. Like in that speedrun I posted, if you find all the solutions the actual doing them takes 80 seconds or so.

The puzzles in Myst are only tedious if you're using trial and error to solve them, and if you're using trial and error then you need to slow down and think about the clues you've found. And if you have no clues, you've probably found a puzzle before finding the clues that would let you solve it, and should make a note and come back later. Even the hateful puzzle in Riven mentioned above isn't meant to be a trial and error puzzle, it's just that the clues were way too subtle for me (or, it seems, most people) to notice.

The sole exception I can think of offhand is the maze in Selenitic in Myst; I'm pretty sure it's possible to go there before you visit Mechanical, and if you haven't done that first you won't have the clues to solve it in any way except pure brute force (at least at first - you might figure it out by the time you're halfway through, but that's still a lot more tedious than just racing straight to the exit). And you can't leave Selenitic without solving that, IIRC, so you can't just leave and come back later.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Played Painkiller on my lunch today because I had a hankering to bounce around like an idiot and surf off everything. I have a headache, and I'm twitchy.

I love Painkiller :allears:

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 27, 2013

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I know right? :iia:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Brutal Doom and Hell Revealed are actually insanely fun together on UV. The beefed-up chaingun is pretty much the only reason it's even remotely possible, but gently caress if it isn't an adrenaline rush.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I sort of wish Painkiller had more weapons, but there's no denying that you get a lot of mileage out of those in the game. I especially loved the third "fire mode" of the stake gun that involved firing an explosive, nailing it in mid-air with a stake, and turning the two projectiles into a poor man's rocket. Of course, there's still the whole issue of having to hit something with it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Both are on Good old Games for cheap.

Also the rest of the Myst series is great, 2 and 3 are my favorites. 5 Lets you do full WASD FPS action like RealMyst, although 5 was my least favorite.

The real time rendered Mysts don't work so well, mainly because of movement. Slideshow movement has the hidden advantage of speed. you can just click a few times and you're halfway across the island. With continuous movement in real time 3d, you need to turn around and actually walk there. In a game where you are continually experimenting with interconnected machines in different locations, that gets old fast.

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot of the puzzles are mind achingly tedious, and require precision movement using the awful, awful controls. The desert world in particular has 2 puzzles that are a total nightmare, and take ludicrous amounts of patience even after you have fully solved them in your head. I'm talking about the puzzle where you need to build a "bridge" over a river by pushing wooden platforms, and the puzzle where you need to carefully, gently, guide some glow flies through a cave

Also, the central puzzle is a boring scavenger hunt. Who really enjoys that? I spent an hour searching for a missed hand print once.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Amethyst posted:

The real time rendered Mysts don't work so well, mainly because of movement. Slideshow movement has the hidden advantage of speed. you can just click a few times and you're halfway across the island. With continuous movement in real time 3d, you need to turn around and actually walk there. In a game where you are continually experimenting with interconnected machines in different locations, that gets old fast.

A lot of the puzzles are mind achingly tedious, and require precision movement using the awful, awful controls. The desert world in particular has 2 puzzles that are a total nightmare, and take ludicrous amounts of patience even after you have fully solved them in your head.

Also, the central puzzle is a boring scavenger hunt. Who really enjoys that? I spent an hour searching for a missed hand print once.

Eh, I see your point, to an extent. I honestly think that's a form of creative constraint. If you have to haul your rear end all the way back wherever, you're probably more likely to double-check your surroundings and re-examine your knowledge and inventory. Myst deserves a patient approach.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Don't avoid Uru, play tons of it and give Cyan your money so they can afford to continue developing it. :argh:

Amethyst posted:

I'm talking about the puzzle where you need to build a "bridge" over a river by pushing wooden platforms, and the puzzle where you need to carefully, gently, guide some glow flies through a cave

Those are the same puzzle. Twitchy object physics aside, you don't need to be that gentle with the fireflies. Just don't run, get them wet or jump more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Don't avoid Uru, play tons of it and give Cyan your money so they can afford to continue developing it. :argh:

Uru is dead, son. Time to feed it some sugar cubes, take it out back and shoot it.