Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

I moused-over that link and immediately started doing Shivvers' voice.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I haven't watched South Park in a long time and don't really like it anymore, but Todd has always been reminiscent of Tweek to me. Although more of 20's-30's than kid-pitched.

*edit* But I'm definitely one of those people who don't form exact voices, just kind of psychological tones and pacing that I couldn't really reproduce audibly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

The wired article did mention that there was a book coming out that had been in the works for "over a year," which I had assumed was probably the cookbook.

E: Also hey, I just found this video clip from a couple months ago that seems to be OFFICIAL TV SHOW BUSINESS. Ray's voive may have to grow on me a little, but Philippe sounds basically exactly how Philippe should sound.

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on how I always imagined Ray. Perfect.

This is the happiest thing.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It's not exactly how I pictured him in my head (mine is a bit higher pitched), but I feel like that voice could be so loving perfect for so many classic ray lines.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I always imagined Ray as sounding like Bubs from Homestar Runner, and this is close enough.

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
I always heard Ray as diedrich bader in office space.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Teodor sounds an awful lot like Ira Glass in my head.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I guess if this is what we're talking about, I always thought Ray sounded mostly like Cee Lo Green.

Also, the Philippe in the Christmas video seems to lack a certain childlike spontaneity to it; his voice seems just a touch forced.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I feel like the Ray voice in the Christmas video is how Ray wishes he sounded.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I've always head Ray as sounding like a kind of jazz man with a touch of wigger thrown in, if that makes any sense. Jazz man voice, wigger attitude.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Huh, given some of the names dropped in that Wired article, this show has an actual chance of happening. He found someone with experience as a show maker and secured some quality voice acting.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Can't believe this isn't in here yet.

http://achewoodbytherussians.tumblr.com/post/44130367921/achewood-five-stories-five-minutes-a-complete password therussians edit: doesn't work anymore

I really don't like Ray's voice. Beef's is fine and Philippe's is perfect.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 28, 2013

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

tehloki posted:

http://achewoodbytherussians.tumblr.com/post/44130367921/achewood-five-stories-five-minutes-a-complete password therussians

Ray's seemed off to me at first, but it grew on me quickly. Especially interacting with Beef.

I liked it!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Yah this works for me. This is a thing I can live with. I'm not gonna take it to bed and cuddle with it but at the same time I'm not gonna shove it in a corner and pile things on top of it until I forget about it entirely, only to find it years later all covered with dust and throw it out.

Nathander
Apr 23, 2008

Seluin posted:

Ray's seemed off to me at first, but it grew on me quickly. Especially interacting with Beef.

I liked it!

I like Ray's voice to be honest. It's not an exact match with how I imagined him sounding, but it works pretty well.

I'm torn on Beef. I know it's Onstad himself doing Beef, but I always kind of thought Beef's voice would've been a lot softer most of the time, or he'd have forced it to be softer than he's currently performing at. On the other hand, I think his voice works really well against Ray's voice.

I'm actually kind of torn on Philippe's voice. I don't hate it by any means, but it somehow seems ever so slightly off to me.

Edit: Alright, I really am growing a lot more appreciative of Onstad's Beef with the mood whisky skit and Philippe's voice with the scones one.

I kind of wish we'd gotten to see more of the characters/get a feel for what their voices will be, though I realize they don't have anyone tapped to play the others yet.

Nathander fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 28, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, I still don't really like Ray. Onstad as Beef works pretty well though.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ManiacClown posted:

I've always head Ray as sounding like a kind of jazz man with a touch of wigger thrown in, if that makes any sense. Jazz man voice, wigger attitude.

THANK YOU for articulating how I have always imagined Ray to sound. Having said that I love Toby Huss and I'm enjoying his take quite a bit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't know about you fellas but I was hella laughing during the entirety of that reel.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tehloki posted:

http://achewoodbytherussians.tumblr.com/post/44130367921/achewood-five-stories-five-minutes-a-complete password therussians

Onstad could be a little more subdued for Beef, but his works as a good contrast to Ray. Ray himself is... Well, a bit further off from what I imagined personally but not bad. Phillipe could stand to be a bit more kid-like but is good too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy gently caress it's perfect :stare:

This had better become A Thing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I dunno, I'd almost say that Ray's VA is almost overselling it?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
This is nitpicking, because I really like how this is shaping up but, for what it's worth, I think Ray is the weakest of the bunch. The voice is fine but he sounds a bit too much like he's reading lines. I kinda found it hard to follow him sometimes, like listening to an overly written & rehearsed best man's speech. Philippe could maybe sound a little more excited / excitable too.

Beef works best for me. He has a more natural, almost improvised sound (probably because Onstad isn't a pro), that I think works really well at making the lines not sound like, um, lines. A more conversational style of delivery overall would be awesome.

I still like how it moves / looks though. Think it suits the strip perfectly - the more surreal Cartilage Head type stuff'll look super creepy with that kinda motion capture feel.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, overselling it is a good way of putting it for Ray (although I guess, if anyone, Ray should be overselling it), it's a little too acted. This might not be the best example, but Juno managed to get away with people-don't-really-talk-like-that dialogue for the most part because it was delivered in a fairly realistic way. Onstad's style of writing may face the same problems.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 28, 2013

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think they're all good matches, but could be closer still. Philippe could stand to be more excitable yet a little less shrill, Ray sounds a bit too old and a bit too Southern, and Beef is... I dunno, a tad too normal-sounding? I always envisioned Ray and Beef having more or less the same accent.

Tenterhooks posted:

A more conversational style of delivery overall would be awesome.

Also, you really hit the nail on the head here. This is The Problem, moreso than anything having to do with the voices themselves.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 28, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think it got better as it went along, although Ray's voice and delivery is... interesting. I don't hate it, but it's definitely not what I was expecting. That said, the Scones bit was the first new Achewood material in like eight months that's made me laugh, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I felt like their timing was better on their original material, the adapted strips all felt a little off.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

tehloki posted:

The password should have been 'entropy9'

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Tenterhooks posted:

This is nitpicking, because I really like how this is shaping up but, for what it's worth, I think Ray is the weakest of the bunch. The voice is fine but he sounds a bit too much like he's reading lines. I kinda found it hard to follow him sometimes, like listening to an overly written & rehearsed best man's speech. Philippe could maybe sound a little more excited / excitable too.

Beef works best for me. He has a more natural, almost improvised sound (probably because Onstad isn't a pro), that I think works really well at making the lines not sound like, um, lines. A more conversational style of delivery overall would be awesome.

I still like how it moves / looks though. Think it suits the strip perfectly - the more surreal Cartilage Head type stuff'll look super creepy with that kinda motion capture feel.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, overselling it is a good way of putting it for Ray (although I guess, if anyone, Ray should be overselling it), it's a little too acted. This might not be the best example, but Juno managed to get away with people-don't-really-talk-like-that dialogue for the most part because it was delivered in a fairly realistic way. Onstad's style of writing may face the same problems.

Hmm, yeah. Ray needs to sound confident, but not actually as in control and smooth as he wants to be. Like, pauses to collect his thoughts and changes in momentum and excitement. I've always read Ray as a guy who gets really enthused about his ideas. It's probably just the voice actor getting a handle on the character, and maybe the voice itself at first. I imagine they paid him to only record a tiny bit to start out.

Regardless, this is all pretty rockin', and I'm not gonna be harsh on a 5 minute test animation.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Toby Huss is perfect as Ray.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

tehloki posted:

Password doesn't work anymore. I hope this got mirrored somewhere.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Clitch posted:

Password doesn't work anymore. I hope this got mirrored somewhere.

I captured it raw with Fraps. Gonna compress it a bit in Vegas (because the capture file is 1.28gb) then upload it.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 28, 2013

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer

Satorr posted:

I captured it raw with Fraps. Gonna compress it a bit in Vegas (because the capture file is 1.28gb) then upload it.

Yeah, I need this more then I have ever needed anything in my life.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hawaiian_robot posted:

The password should have been 'entropy9'

Or failing that, 'ru5tybike5'. When I noticed therussians wasn't working anymore I tried both and was disappointed when they didn't work :( Come on Onstad, why you gotta do your fellow breast men like this?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
here's the 5-minute test footage

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w0xib1

password: yarddancer

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Locus posted:

Hmm, yeah. Ray needs to sound confident, but not actually as in control and smooth as he wants to be. Like, pauses to collect his thoughts and changes in momentum and excitement. I've always read Ray as a guy who gets really enthused about his ideas. It's probably just the voice actor getting a handle on the character, and maybe the voice itself at first. I imagine they paid him to only record a tiny bit to start out.

Regardless, this is all pretty rockin', and I'm not gonna be harsh on a 5 minute test animation.
This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Some of my favorite animated characters didn't really settle into their voice until after a few episodes (The Simpsons is what always comes to mind here,) and I could see a character as dynamic as Ray taking that adjustment period.

Hell, there's always the chance that some or all of the characters will get recast by the time it makes air. Happens all the time.

All that said, I don't know if I'll ever not think of Cotton Hill yelling "KISS MY rear end BITCH, I'LL BE AT DUANE'S" now. So far, I'm okay with this.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

God drat it, the password doesn't work anymore. Plus I got depression.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You wouldn't have depression if you read other people's posts! Check Satorr's link.

Onstad is voicing Beef. How appropriate.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Der Shovel posted:

'ru5tybike5'

*Ahem*, ru5tyb1ke5.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hawaiian_robot posted:

*Ahem*, ru5tyb1ke5.

No wonder it didn't work!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'll toss this in the ring for one of my favorite strips.

Edit: poo poo, wait, this one too.

Dammit Onstad, just let me buy every single strip a la The Calvin and Hobbs Complete Collection. Just put the alt text at the bottom of the page, you don't have to say anything.

In other news, today's strip written and directed by Ray.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tenterhooks posted:

I have a problem with Ray's delivery too. The voice is great, but it sounds a lot like line reading. It also might be because Ray is talking to himself through a lot of the test footage, which throws it off. He does it in the comic, but when you watch someone speak "Yawn, yawn, yawn" out loud it sounds forced.

Philippe sounds perfect! He has just the right level of excitement in his voice. I always thought that Philippe is excited, but also a little hesitant and unsure. Like he knows things aren't quite right with his situation and what the grown-ups are doing, but his level of naivety just tells him to roll with it. Ever have a little kid ask you a question, you give him a silly answer, and they do that little "Haha... oh... really?" thing?

Roast Beef's voice is the best out of all of them. I liked how Ray and Beef both had the same "feel" to their dialog, as best friends often do, except Beef had that unmistakable depression-level exhaustion in his voice. I actually hope Onstad plans to voice him when this thing actually goes on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I would pay hell of cash to get "RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS!" animated and voiced, right now. Philippe is perfect.

Beef in the Whiskey-a-la-Mood and Toilet Party is also perfect. Wasn't too hot on the Kermit Memory Challenge voice, but the "THIS IS SO WACKY" line should kind of sound different.

And yeah, I'm not ever going to not see Cotton Hill shouting "KISS MY rear end, BITCH, I'LL BE AT DUANE'S". Still awesome.

:eng101: Scones are from history.