Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
No, no, no, the whole point of using a butterknife is that I get to lick the extra peanut butter off afterwards!

Also, I got my first pair of glasses in like ten years yesterday, it's nice being able to see things at night without my eyes getting angry.

EDIT:

Uh, new glasses snype?

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Coconut milk, Mindphlux. Coconut milk will do the job. Don't bother with olive oil. For my needs, I like 1 1/2 kg of potato to about 400 ml of coconut milk.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mediaphage posted:

Uh, new glasses snype?

I got new glasses last month too!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bunnielab posted:

This is amazing. I just need to get a narrow one that will fit in the jam jars.

http://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-MINI-SPATULA-SPREADER-GREEN/dp/B002SBQLG6/

Your wish is my command. At home, I buy PB in enormous jars, so the Tovolo spatula fits right into there. Don't judge me.

@Halal: sweet gently caress please be joking. That stuff is hideous and disgusting. Just as much as I hate bugs? I hate having jam in my PB jar, or vice versa. When I heard that some people like to spread both PB AND jam on the SAME SIDE OF THE BREAD I about passed out from the vapours. It was too much for my delicate constitution to handle. The ziplock idea is so much :effort: though.

@MP: U R A QT.

@Chef: Lookin' good. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

dino. posted:

When I heard that some people like to spread both PB AND jam on the SAME SIDE OF THE BREAD I about passed out from the vapours.

People do this? Did you stop them?!

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Best thing I've found is to skip the jam and go with pickles. That way you only need to spread once and can put down the pickles by hand. Absolutely no chance of cross contamination!

Except I like seeing if I can get the pickle slices/chips/pieces out of the jar with my knife instead of taking five seconds to get a fork out. SO cross contamination happens sometimes anyway. :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

People do this? Did you stop them?!

Actually it's a smart move if you're packing a PB&J in a lunch - put PB on both pieces of bread, then jam in the middle; that way, the jam can't soak through the bread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Halal! Long time no see, man. All well?

I just got new glasses. My eyes are terrible so I had to get the glass with the highest possible refractive index, which cost me £300 EXCLUDING the bloody frames. Christ.

.dino, it's possible! My family (well, some of it) can't resist a good poo joke.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Halalelujah posted:

You can also put the peanut butter and jelly into separate ziploc bags with a corner cut off and use them like pastry bags to spread on the bread easily.

Or just:

If that stuff was made with higher quality stuff I would buy it. I almost never eat one whiteout the other and I eat an alarming about of PBJs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Actually it's a smart move if you're packing a PB&J in a lunch - put PB on both pieces of bread, then jam in the middle; that way, the jam can't soak through the bread.

I've just updated the Awful app and can't edit my post! Sorry for double-posting. Anyway, MP, that's ... That's brilliant. My school sandwiches would never have had honey-soaked bread if we'd had this advanced technology.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

http://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-MINI-SPATULA-SPREADER-GREEN/dp/B002SBQLG6/

Your wish is my command. At home, I buy PB in enormous jars, so the Tovolo spatula fits right into there. Don't judge me.

I bought this set a few weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it:
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-570-1121-3-Piece-Silicone-Spatula/dp/B000M8YMEU/

Wilton spoonula, spatula, and half spatula, eight bucks.

dino. posted:

@Halal: sweet gently caress please be joking. That stuff is hideous and disgusting. Just as much as I hate bugs? I hate having jam in my PB jar, or vice versa. When I heard that some people like to spread both PB AND jam on the SAME SIDE OF THE BREAD I about passed out from the vapours. It was too much for my delicate constitution to handle. The ziplock idea is so much :effort: though.

My girlfriend the veggie fiend eats a fair amount of PB&J, and her method might just kill you. She usually eats it with one slice of bread: first spreads the PB, and then the J on top, and then she sits there and runs her finger through it to mix it up. Actually, she might just do that just so she can lick her finger, I don't know.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mediaphage posted:

toast your bread for a PBJ, obviously. I love hot PBJs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

At home, I buy PB in enormous jars

What's your preferred brand? The woman is very strict about no-sugar-added. I had been buying CostCo's Kirkland brand (two huge jars for nine bucks), but as soon as I got her eating that they loving discontinued it!!! Her current favorite brand is made here in MA, Teddie Super Chunky.

http://www.amazon.com/Teddie-Natural-Peanut-Butter-26-Ounce/dp/B006045OH4/

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

What's your preferred brand? The woman is very strict about no-sugar-added. I had been buying CostCo's Kirkland brand (two huge jars for nine bucks), but as soon as I got her eating that they loving discontinued it!!! Her current favorite brand is made here in MA, Teddie Super Chunky.

http://www.amazon.com/Teddie-Natural-Peanut-Butter-26-Ounce/dp/B006045OH4/

I buy the giant vats from Aldi's for like $1 or 2. I can't be fussed about the "no stuff added" because everything else we eat is so painfully healthy. XD

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

My girlfriend the veggie fiend eats a fair amount of PB&J, and her method might just kill you. She usually eats it with one slice of bread: first spreads the PB, and then the J on top, and then she sits there and runs her finger through it to mix it up. Actually, she might just do that just so she can lick her finger, I don't know.
Does she do it sexy-like?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

therattle posted:

Halal! Long time no see, man. All well?

All well, been super busy with many things...work has been kicking my rear end and been doing a lot of stuff for my movie etc. Have been eating a lot of burritos. Missed you guys!

And of course I'm bloody joking dino, though I think there's a niche for some brooklyn "food conquistador" or some poo poo to make artisan goober jars for 15 bucks a pop (I would get drunk and buy)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Also I've started keeping pepperoni and salami logs in my office that I snack on throughout the day by carving off chunks with a scary vietnamese war knife someone gave me. Scary salami eating is the best.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Halalelujah posted:

All well, been super busy with many things...work has been kicking my rear end and been doing a lot of stuff for my movie etc. Have been eating a lot of burritos. Missed you guys!

And of course I'm bloody joking dino, though I think there's a niche for some brooklyn "food conquistador" or some poo poo to make artisan goober jars for 15 bucks a pop (I would get drunk and buy)

Movie? Tell me more. That's my line of work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have never found a "natural" peanut butter that isn't nasty. The stuff needs sugar and salt, otherwise it doesn't taste like peanut butter.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
This just showed up in the Mother Jones Political Mojo blog:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hello from Jacksonville! I have survived almost a whole month without being shot. If I make it to Friday, I think I shall celebrate by telling a local that Nascar sucks.

We are settling into Jacksonville quite nicely. We found a small farmer's market within walking distance on our first Saturday here, so we have a ready supply of fresh vegetables. Meat is a slight issue, as we still aren't giving in to the American obsession with cars, so we have to use public transport, or, Heaven forfend, walk to get stuff. But it's alright! The walk to the nearest supermarket is along a very nice stretch of river.

America is weird in so many small ways that are hard to explain. The cheese section of the supermarket is so small, and the ready meal section is so big. And I've never been anywhere with a drive-through pharmacy before.

Drivers here seem to see cyclists as a personal insult, too. I don't think I'd ever been hooted at for using marked cycle-lanes until I came here.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I really don't understand some drivers' animosity toward cyclists and pedestrians, especially if they're in their designated place to drive (At least in my area). It's not an uncommon occurance here for a cyclist or two to be killed a year. I loving got honked at while crossing a flashing crosswalk the other day, by a guy who was stopped at the stoplights about a hundred yards away from me when I started crossing the road. :wtc:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Cyclists are treated with the same discourtesy as a car going 20mph that refuses to pull over and let traffic pass.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Why walk to the grocery? You can get panniers/throw a milk crate on your bike and haul stuff from the grocery. You can even rig it with bungee cords so you can take it off after grocery shopping.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Clavietika posted:

I really don't understand some drivers' animosity toward cyclists and pedestrians, especially if they're in their designated place to drive (At least in my area).

I don't understand either but for a while I biked half the time and realized I still hated bicyclists the half of the time I was driving. I don't honk at them though, that's retarded.

I did honk at a skateboarder in a black hoodie on an unlit 55mph road tonight, but only because he was out in my lane and not the bike lane. Probably should have just killed him though

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I biked all the time when I lived in the country, and had nowhere in biking distance, but biking in a city scares me. Maybe you're cycling on the wrong side of the street?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I think a lot of it is associated with social and cultural standing. People who are at a disadvantage tend to be territorial and defensive, and the road is one territory they will defend with particular effort: "This is my place, get out!". While work is horrible pay for lovely hours in a demeaning environment designed specifically to keep them on their toes, and while society as a whole seems to be something that concerns others, at least on the road there is Speed and Freedom. Enter the cyclists, with their health obsessions and fancy shakes and quinoa. Never mind the CEO who speeds past you in his Porsche Panamera, the cyclist is the easiest to unload on.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
more gws posters should post photos of themselves

it's interesting. :)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Sjurygg posted:

I think a lot of it is associated with social and cultural standing. People who are at a disadvantage tend to be territorial and defensive, and the road is one territory they will defend with particular effort: "This is my place, get out!". While work is horrible pay for lovely hours in a demeaning environment designed specifically to keep them on their toes, and while society as a whole seems to be something that concerns others, at least on the road there is Speed and Freedom. Enter the cyclists, with their health obsessions and fancy shakes and quinoa. Never mind the CEO who speeds past you in his Porsche Panamera, the cyclist is the easiest to unload on.

This is why I could never ever live in America. I mean, I'm not a cycling nut or anything, but over here in the Netherlands practically everybody has a bike, or more than one even, to the point where you're weird if you don't know how to ride a bicycle at age 10. It's just about second nature to everybody here. At any given time of day in any given city there's probably more people cycling than there are people driving cars.

drat Americans and their car obsessions! Bicycles are a valid mode of transportation and not just reserved for health nuts! :bahgawd:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mindphlux posted:

more gws posters should post photos of themselves

it's interesting. :)

I don't think that's a good idea.

Also what happened to foodchat on mediaphage.net?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Did it break? Lemme look.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bunnielab posted:

I have never found a "natural" peanut butter that isn't nasty. The stuff needs sugar and salt, otherwise it doesn't taste like peanut butter.

No it's not a health thing for her, she just grew up eating natural PB, and doesn't like all the sugar they put in Skippy.

Scientastic posted:

America is weird in so many small ways that are hard to explain. The cheese section of the supermarket is so small, and the ready meal section is so big. And I've
never been anywhere with a drive-through pharmacy before.

Well, for one thing, you are in Florida, not "America". :colbert:

That said, I like in an awful blue-collar suburb, and my local Stop&Shop doesn't carry goat cheese... ANY kind of goat cheese. So I feel your pain. :(
I rely pretty heavily on good ethnic markets, but since your are in Jacksonville, you'll need to find a Whole Foods. Good luck.

Scientastic posted:

Drivers here seem to see cyclists as a personal insult, too. I don't think I'd ever been hooted at for using marked cycle-lanes until I came here.

In some rural areas, there is actually ongoing bad blood between the cyclists and the car/truck/monster truck crowd. Like some kind of weird gang turf war or something.

My only point: try to avoid pissing off someone driving a pickup truck that has plastic testicles hanging from the tow hitch. You do remember how Easy Rider ended, right?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Balls-Bull-Nutz-Flesh/dp/B002A6LL2I/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Did it break? Lemme look.

Something happened with the host, should be back up shortly.

bunnielab posted:

I'm all for adding salt to peanut butter, but it absolutely does not need sugar, at all. Sugar's in too much poo poo as it is.

Squashy Nipples posted:

No it's not a health thing for her, she just grew up eating natural PB, and doesn't like all the sugar they put in Skippy.

It also tastes better.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I rely pretty heavily on good ethnic markets, but since your are in Jacksonville, you'll need to find a Whole Foods. Good luck.

Yesssssss! How far are you from here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/jacksonville

Honestly, J-ville's big enough to have plenty of ethnic markets; like most car-centric towns, though, you might have a hard time getting there. I'd seriously reconsider getting a used car of some sort, just for light use on the weekends. I don't use our car hardly at all during the week, since everything is so walkable, but it's too handy not to have sometimes.

Squashy Nipples posted:

In some rural areas, there is actually ongoing bad blood between the cyclists and the car/truck/monster truck crowd. Like some kind of weird gang turf war or something.

My only point: try to avoid pissing off someone driving a pickup truck that has plastic testicles hanging from the tow hitch. You do remember how Easy Rider ended, right?

That's because those liberal, bike-riding faggots think they got some right to the road, or something. Idjits.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Something happened with the host, should be back up shortly.

Taa it's the best way for me to procrastinate on there at work.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

E: wrong thread.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AisDxsvGKD.sDhrjowCO5l936xR.;_ylv=3?qid=20130228004141AAS59rG

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Wahad posted:

drat Americans and their car obsessions! Bicycles are a valid mode of transportation and not just reserved for health nuts! :bahgawd:

Sorry, we're size queens over here. Bigger is better, especially when it comes to geography and engines. The entirety of the Netherlands could easily be tucked into the uninhabited corners of most of the Western states. As in, all 10 million of you folks would just vanish into the deserts and not be noticed at all. What this means is that anywhere you go tends to be scattered out from everywhere else and requires long drives to get there. Bicycles are only practical in some urban areas that have made allowances for them and also in a few small towns that have decent centralized services.

Then again, a lot of folks over here drive like poo poo no matter what form of transport they use. They are rude idiots with a deathwish when they are on their flimsy little bicycles and they are horrible, unpredictable asshats when steering their land yachts around town. Add a little weather into the mix and it's a nightmare.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

Then again, a lot of folks over here drive like poo poo no matter what form of transport they use. They are rude idiots with a deathwish when they are on their flimsy little bicycles and they are horrible, unpredictable asshats when steering their land yachts around town. Add a little weather into the mix and it's a nightmare.

I think this pretty much covers it. I have no problem with people who ride bicycles for transportation or for pleasure/sport/exercise (in fact I'm considering purchasing one), however when you're in the middle of the car lane on a main road at a traffic-heavy time, that's where there's an problem.

I just finished school in a college town where most students used bikes for transportation and they used them correctly and weren't giant shitheads. On the other hand, where I live, I've been increasingly seeing more and more people riding sporty road bikes for, unassumingly, sport or exercise in the absolute worst places. I live in a somewhat rural area, so there's plenty of incredibly low-traffic roads around that would be great for riding, yet most people decide to ride in the middle of the lane (no designated bike lanes mind you) on a main road at peak traffic times.

CuddleChunks described it quite accurately.

edit: Non-bicycle chat:

Tocino con garbanzo at The Iberian Pig is the best food I have ever eaten. If you ever come to Atlanta, you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not eating this. Seriously, this poo poo is good.

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 28, 2013