Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

The horny relaunches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

all you hear is haha funny comedian man running in Italy, and people are voting for him, what a wacky situation!
No kidding. I don't see how it's any more ludicrous than "haha funny Bullingdon men running Britain, Chancellor's only experience in the real world is folding towels in Selfridges. And people are voting for them, what a wacky situation!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zephro posted:

No kidding. I don't see how it's any more ludicrous than "haha funny Bullingdon men running Britain, Chancellor's only experience in the real world is folding towels in Selfridges. And people are voting for them, what a wacky situation!"

But the purpose of towel-folding isn't to make an audience laugh. Surely that contributes?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Todays If...

Fluo
May 25, 2007

You may contain traces of pit pony!! Loving this weeks If... :allears:

Guardian:

It's the 10th anniversary of the Iraq war.
Tony Blair says Iraq would be far worse today under Saddam Hussein.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

British Gas have announced huge profits but still the bills go up.

quote:

“It’s endlessly fascinating. From up here one can see the strained worried faces of mere mortals as they struggle to pay their gas bills.”

Daily Express:

Oldish article but just came across it. Never knew this about Monkey Dust
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/tvandradioblog/2008/sep/05/howimournformonkeydust

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVJ_48YgTg
"You can run but you can't hide," crowed a red-top last week when it cornered an obviously startled and terrified Gary Glitter, disguised as a charity-shop mannequin. Strictly speaking, it would appear that Glitter had been unable to do either, but I was touched by this hitherto unsuspected concern for the misfortunes of Vietnamese children. (Repugnant though he is, what other reason could there be to hunt down the broken and time-served Glitter as if he were a rabid dog?) My next thought was about how much I miss Monkey Dust. The Paedofinder General character would be in his element here.

Monkey Dust was the fledgling BBC Three's stopped-clock moment - a witless channel's saving grace. Created by Shaun Pye and the late Harry Thompson, it ran from 2003-2005, and its animated satirical vignettes of a grim, dystopian Britain have proved unnervingly prescient.But the show has vanished from the schedules, and looks unlikely to return any time soon.

The show's signature characters were probably the incompetent Islamist suicide bombers, Omar, Abdul and Shafiq. Omar is a malevolent would-be mastermind driven by his reverses at public school; Abdul and Shafiq, his congenial West Brom-supporting acolytes, whose martyrdoms he plots. All three are as unmistakably British as everything they ineptly scheme to destroy.

The trio predated the London atrocities of July 7 2005, and I have long suspected that neither they nor Monkey Dust will be seen again on the BBC until the "War on Terror" has subsided, or before the end of time - whichever comes first. I must add that this is merely a guess. A BBC spokeswoman is adamant it is "absolutely not" Monkey Dust's content that has prevented it being repeated. She tells me that the show followed a typical broadcast pattern, going out on BBC Three, then on BBC2, and then being shelved.

Fair enough. Although the same spokeswoman was also sure there had been only two series of Monkey Dust (there were three.) And it's curious that before its recent relaunch, back when it was clogged with interminable repeats of such televisual jewels as Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet of Crisps, BBC Three couldn't find room for one of its very few acclaimed and cherished productions.

Monkey Dust is allocated no listing on the BBC's online A-Z of comedy shows, nor on BBC Three's equivalent inventory of its own programmes. Only its first and least provocative series - no Omar, no Paedofinder, no Abu the illegal immigrant - has been issued on DVD. Granted, the difficulty of clearing the pop soundtrack might have a bearing on that. While I don't mean to suggest there has been any sinister resolve to actively suppress Monkey Dust, I have to wonder if the BBC has not found it expedient simply to forget about it. That would be a great pity. It was a wonderful programme - its second series being perhaps the best thing in Thompson's formidable CV - and there couldn't be a more fitting time to revisit it. At least, let's hope there couldn't.

I miss Monkey Dust. :smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 28, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

I miss Monkey Dust. :smith:

Oh god this. I think it's still my favourite clip show of all time. The political satire, the artistic range, the music, the incredibly dark humour... I didn't realise until quite recently that Harry Thompson had died of lung cancer at a very young age, bringing the series to a permanent close. It rather puts the Closure sketch into perspective. :smith:

Also, that Mac cartoon seemed oddly sympathetic to the proles. I guess even Mail readers are feeling the pinch, leading to an unusual moment of solidarity.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Oh god this. I think it's still my favourite clip show of all time. The political satire, the artistic range, the music, the incredibly dark humour... I didn't realise until quite recently that Harry Thompson had died of lung cancer at a very young age, bringing the series to a permanent close. It rather puts the Closure sketch into perspective. :smith:

Also, that Mac cartoon seemed oddly sympathetic to the proles. I guess even Mail readers are feeling the pinch, leading to an unusual moment of solidarity.

I so loved Monkey Dust, only ever got season1 on dvd, never been able to find season 2 and I think season 3 wasn't brought out on dvd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovRTt0hAPk

The Anne Frank one is blocked on youtube so can't link that one. :(

Anne Frank one; Jews are Irish, Nazis are British, Heroes are American. One of the best lines in it "this is for president Churchill!" and the American narration keep pronouncing stuff wrong like instead of Reich they say Re-e-sh.

Edit: Found it but had to get it outside youtube http://en.vidivodo.com/video/monkey-dust-ann-frank/166592

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fluo posted:

Anne Frank one; Jews are Irish, Nazis are British, Heroes are American. One of the best lines in it "this is for president Churchill!" and the American narration keep pronouncing stuff wrong like instead of Reich they say Re-e-sh.
I think the Crusades one is still my favourite of those. 'Dedicated to all the Americans who died during the Early Middle Ages.'

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

I think the Crusades one is still my favourite of those. 'Dedicated to all the Americans who died during the Early Middle Ages.'

Ahahaha yeah, also the 'New Truth' one was great. :yayclod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asFU5ReztXU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Let's not forget the true star of Monkey Dust :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Always loved this one, especially "by the powers invested in me by...."

Though that compilation doesn't have the best one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUkt59vY1Q&t=150s

I found it a bit disappointing that Chris Morris's film Four Lions was basically just a longer, but less funny and biting, version of the "Brummie Terrorists" sketches.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Oh gods, the Paedofinder General Song has disappeared from Youtube :( This is terrible.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I need to dig out my season 1 DVD when I get home.

Edit: this is not the UK megathread :sigh:

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 28, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

NightHunter posted:

I need to dig out my season 1 DVD when I get home.

Edit: this is the UK megathread :sigh:
The sad fact is that Monkey Dust is even more relevant to British politics and life in general now than when it was first made.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

British Gas have announced huge profits but still the bills go up.

quote:

“It’s endlessly fascinating. From up here one can see the strained worried faces of mere mortals as they struggle to pay their gas bills.”

Holy gently caress what is this. Is someone secretly filling in for Mac while he's on holiday or something?

(I'm not going to the website to find out if the quote is really "lucky profits are up, those hoodies are breaking into your car again")

Also that Telegraph one. CON LAB LIB DEM, CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

baka kaba posted:

This is presumably pegged to the morbid Aussie billionaire who's building Titanic 2? Idk.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Kegluneq posted:

baka kaba posted:

Holy gently caress what is this. Is someone secretly filling in for Mac while he's on holiday or something?

The Mail is a populist newspaper, not a newspaper for the "elites". The same populism motivates anger at executives of power companies and anger at people on benefits.

This cartoon isn't sympathetic to poor people. It's just angry about a group that are seen to be costing Daily Mail readers some money.

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 28, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah but it shows a smidgen of awareness and even class consciousness there, especially in how the caption is worded. It's like he almost gets it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I absolutely adored Monkey Dust when it was on the telly, and even today it comes across as almost preternaturally prescient about an awful lot of things (McDonalds selling degrees comes to his mind). But upon rewatch, there is some pretty iffy stuff in there as well. Joint greatest ever soundtrack, though (tied with Spaced).

Also, I'm constantly bewildered by just how completely inept, banal and unfunny those Express cartoons are. I'd post a link to Brant, Physical Cartoonist, but he's actually better.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I absolutely adored Monkey Dust when it was on the telly, and even today it comes across as almost preternaturally prescient about an awful lot of things (McDonalds selling degrees comes to his mind). But upon rewatch, there is some pretty iffy stuff in there as well.
Anything in particular?

baka kaba posted:

Especially lazy since the Titanic only had three operational funnels :eng101:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Anything in particular?

I seem to recall it would sometimes have a go at the NHS in a very sort of Telegraph-y way, and was a bit dodgy when it came to LGBT issues (if I recall correctly, it mostly treated being gay as something slightly icky for laughs). It could also be pretty condescendingly classist at times. It just seemed that for a programme that was as smart as it usually was, it'd still occasionally go for really low-hanging fruit. It's been a few years since I've seen it all the way through, though.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Barry Foster posted:

I absolutely adored Monkey Dust when it was on the telly, and even today it comes across as almost preternaturally prescient about an awful lot of things (McDonalds selling degrees comes to his mind). But upon rewatch, there is some pretty iffy stuff in there as well. Joint greatest ever soundtrack, though (tied with Spaced).

The show was a collaboration between a pretty big variety of cartoon studios, hence the huge difference in quality of every sketch.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I seem to recall it would sometimes have a go at the NHS in a very sort of Telegraph-y way, and was a bit dodgy when it came to LGBT issues (if I recall correctly, it mostly treated being gay as something slightly icky for laughs). It could also be pretty condescendingly classist at times.
Hmm, perhaps. It has been a few years since I saw it all the way through too. I remember LGBT characters being presented in a more neutral or whimsical sense though, like the gay couple in the Paedofinder General compilation and the elderly couple's erotic dreams in a ketch I annoyingly can't find on Youtube... The NHS came under criticism but then so did every aspect of government and authority (as well as the BBC itself), it was just part of the bleak setting of the show.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Hmm, perhaps. It has been a few years since I saw it all the way through too. I remember LGBT characters being presented in a more neutral or whimsical sense though, like the gay couple in the Paedofinder General compilation and the elderly couple's erotic dreams in a ketch I annoyingly can't find on Youtube... The NHS came under criticism but then so did every aspect of government and authority (as well as the BBC itself), it was just part of the bleak setting of the show.

It's probably true that the 'NHS is overrun by MRSA, rats and useless staff' thing was just part of the overall nihilism, but with regard to the LGBT thing I'm thinking particularly of elements of the Wannabe Cottager sketches, and one where lesbians were portrayed as horrible shrieking harridans. Still, nothing's perfect. And we should probably stop derailing the Cartoons Mega Thread...

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

It's probably true that the 'NHS is overrun by MRSA, rats and useless staff' thing was just part of the overall nihilism, but with regard to the LGBT thing I'm thinking particularly of elements of the Wannabe Cottager sketches, and one where lesbians were portrayed as horrible shrieking harridans.
Aww, I thought the Wannabe Cottager was quite a sympathetic portrayal (albeit in an unsympathetic society). Don't remember the lesbians sketch, but I'd be surprised if it were openly hostile.

quote:

Still, nothing's perfect. And we should probably stop derailing the Cartoons Mega Thread...
Okay, fair point. I just wish we had this kind of show now :sigh:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

It's probably true that the 'NHS is overrun by MRSA, rats and useless staff' thing was just part of the overall nihilism, but with regard to the LGBT thing I'm thinking particularly of elements of the Wannabe Cottager sketches, and one where lesbians were portrayed as horrible shrieking harridans. Still, nothing's perfect. And we should probably stop derailing the Cartoons Mega Thread...

Monkey Dust is a cartoon! animated cartoon but a cartoon all the same. :3: Very political a lot of the time too! :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKSllUPbzCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4mK7BICFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU3AMfAUD4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKSGdByaUIA

Pretentious wanker parts was great too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTQ5mbZG3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPwn2Yit9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzCupLAsfo

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 28, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Oh god, the Ebola experiment... Think that was my favourite sketch at the time. So much callous evil (inspired by Porton Down presumably). The paedophile march sketch had an amazing soundtrack for a simple joke scene, but that was so often the case with Monkey Dust.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Oh god, the Ebola experiment... Think that was my favourite sketch at the time. So much callous evil (inspired by Porton Down presumably). The paedophile march sketch had an amazing soundtrack for a simple joke scene, but that was so often the case with Monkey Dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAzI8AN0Js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUi4OyO2Mw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-iAbYffmqU

:psyduck: Holy gently caress, how did I never know about this? :psyduck:

Porton Down is actually being used as a registered controlled substance research facility, where the biotechnology Company GW Pharmaceuticals is developing with the help of Hortapharm B.V. unknown medicinal strains and cannabis related patents. :psyduck:

Dstl Porton Down has also been involved in human testing.
A second inquest on Ronald Maddison commenced in May 2004, after many years of lobbying by his relatives and their supporters. It later found the death of Ronald Maddison to have been unlawful; this was challenged by the Ministry of Defence, but the verdict was upheld and the case settled.
In February 2006 three ex-servicemen were awarded compensation in an out-of-court settlement after claims they were given LSD without their consent during the 1950s. :psyduck:

Guardian:

Prime minister David Cameron has promised to fight a new cap on bankers' bonuses proposed by the European Union.

David Cameron really is so out of touch isn't he? :suicide:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

Despite losing millions of tax payer’s money the Royal Bank of Scotland continues to pay it’s bankers huge bonuses.

quote:

“Humans are so stupid… The country would be a lot healthier if they were to have a cull of Bankers.”

Daily Express:

:ughh:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 1, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Who'd have expected the Mail to be the first paper to openly call for class war? :getin:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Porton Down was all kinds of hosed up. I'm kind of surprised you linked that one without knowing the context though, or were you thinking of the even more notorious American experiments?

Mac continues to confuse. Implicitly criticising a Countryside Alliance-approved badger cull and calling on the death of the banking class? I hope the true Mac gets well soon so we can continue to wish him ill health again.

The Indy cartoon might be in reference to this painting, but I'm not much of an art historian so there's probably a far closer match. The arms look right though.

Giovanni Gaulli, The Apotheosis of St. Ignatius, 1685.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
What the hell, Fluo, I'd never heard of that at all.

The craziest part of that video is the town council member saying "we'll have to write to our MPs to check it doesn't happen again" rather than "HOLY poo poo"

I felt like a total conspiracy nut watching those videos. That's completely insane.

quote:

Along with other servicemen, Maddison was offered 15 shillings and a three-day leave pass for taking part in the experiments. He had planned to use the money to purchase an engagement ring for his girlfriend, Mary Pyle.
On the day he died, Ronald Maddison entered a gas chamber at 10:00 a.m. along with five other test subjects. They were each to have an identical experiment performed on them, which were part of a series of experiments to determine the lethal dose of sarin when delivered to bare or battle dress-covered skin

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

Ronald Maddison
Holy crap, I have to admit even I didn't realise that the experiments had been so immediately lethal. That Monkey Dust sketch is more a documentary than satire!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Porton Down was all kinds of hosed up. I'm kind of surprised you linked that one without knowing the context though, or were you thinking of the even more notorious American experiments?[/i]

I thought it was generally just what the future of Britain would be like, not what it was/is. :suicide:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Loving the reference here to this painting called "The Volga Barge-Haulers" who were employed basically as slaves because it was cheaper than upgrading to steam engines. Apparently it was one of Stalin's favorite paintings :goonsay:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I wonder what classic paintings the Express cartoons are based on?

Seriously this is what I see every time one's posted:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

vodkat posted:

Loving the reference here to this painting called "The Volga Barge-Haulers" who were employed basically as slaves because it was cheaper than upgrading to steam engines. Apparently it was one of Stalin's favorite paintings :goonsay:

This can't be posted without this also happening in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0WVL-HjE

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mfcrocker posted:

No, Mr. Hoppy was the real star of Monkey Dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jHvjOpRTZY

"I only said that I did as they promised back my fingernails if I did"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The release officer becoming increasingly annoyed as the series went on was the best.

"DNA evidence, didn't do it, wad of compensation, wacky 70's memorabilia, now gently caress off"

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vodkat posted:

Fuuuuuck I didn't even notice this. It was on display here in '02 and I saw it in Piter as well :swoon: Steve :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This can't be posted without this also happening in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0WVL-HjE

This video turned me into a Bolshevik.

• Locked thread