Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SuperMegaGodzilla is awesome and your assessment of him is way off. Hes almost single handedly saved certain threads in CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Newest episode of Black Mirror sounds interesting, but doesn't seem to be working on 4od - watching some of the first series instead. This is bloody excellent :stare:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You need to massively massively up the levels of preening arrogant condescension in your posts, and also make a lot less sense. And then you should be fired into the sun.

He's such a cliche of a film student he probably wears a loving beret.

I will fight to the death over this, he's the best fuckin' poster. Everyone else will be going "uh, this film sucked, and like, it didn't make any sense how the chick didn't just run out of the way of the spaceship, and what is black goo??" (the condescension is deserved) and then he'll just drop in and start firing Zizek quotes and mathemes and Hegelian mysticism at everyone in his path, and nobody ever seems to like or understand it. Yet he persists. Don't worry SMG, I like your posts :swoon:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Allan Assiduity posted:

Newest episode of Black Mirror sounds interesting, but doesn't seem to be working on 4od - watching some of the first series instead. This is bloody excellent :stare:

Good thing Channel 4 put all their content up on Youtube too!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Gosh, I miss Utopia on a Tuesday night :(. The prospect of Shameless Season Umpteen in its place isn't really floating my boat.

Anybody got any recommendations? I want something weird and black-hearted, plotty and quirky (and I've already watched Luther and The Shadow Line and Red Riding). I don't mind subtitles if you're got any mental foreign conspiracy dramas you want to share your opinions on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I will fight to the death over this, he's the best fuckin' poster. Everyone else will be going "uh, this film sucked, and like, it didn't make any sense how the chick didn't just run out of the way of the spaceship, and what is black goo??" (the condescension is deserved) and then he'll just drop in and start firing Zizek quotes and mathemes and Hegelian mysticism at everyone in his path, and nobody ever seems to like or understand it. Yet he persists. Don't worry SMG, I like your posts :swoon:
That, and while the rest of the CD crowd will obsess over continuity, super hero costumes, fictional universes and minor plot details, he'll just step in call them a bunch of wankers and give a proper reading. Its so loving awesome.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone watching The Railway? I'm afraid I did laugh out loud at Ronnie the stiff little dog. I did feel bad, but the poor little thing did look comical.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Irisi posted:

Anybody got any recommendations? I want something weird and black-hearted, plotty

Just watch Cracker again. Still the best ever drama series on British TV.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Watching Big Ask on Dave. Stephen Mangan revealed that he will be voicing Postman Pat in a new film by Dreamworks. Except Gary Barlow will supply his singing voice. I post this without comment.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Watching Big Ask on Dave. Stephen Mangan revealed that he will be voicing Postman Pat in a new film by Dreamworks. Except Gary Barlow will supply his singing voice. I post this without comment.

Danny Dyer's view on Postman Pat on last weeks 8 out of 10 Cats was pretty hilarious.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Did he call him a broadsheet cahnt?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Captain Mediocre posted:

I quite liked it, but mostly because the whole thing seems to have been shot in High Wycombe and seeing your town on TV is always weird as heck. Especially seeing it cast as a dystopian hellhole in the credit sequence. That bridge is actually quite nice.

I had a very weird moment when he picked up the pub board from outside The Falcon and threw it at Waldo. It makes everything far too real.

Sup fellow Wycombe goon. It was weird seeing Wycombe, especially as it was presumably chosen to represent an anonymous every-town, which I struggle to conceptualise as I grew up there and know it like the back of my hand. When the old Tory said that the system built those roads, he was on the dual carriage way by the fire station, which is just one of the local tidbits with which I was able to endlessly entertain my girlfriend.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Where is Jeremy Paxman he has dissapeared from Newsnight completely this year...

They had a 10 year Iraq war anniversary special tonight, if you were wondering Tony Blair is still a oval office.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metrication posted:

Where is Jeremy Paxman he has dissapeared from Newsnight completely this year...

They had a 10 year Iraq war anniversary special tonight, if you were wondering Tony Blair is still a oval office.

Whats new?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Rondette posted:

Anyone watching The Railway? I'm afraid I did laugh out loud at Ronnie the stiff little dog. I did feel bad, but the poor little thing did look comical.

Had to do the shop tonight so I missed it, and it's taking a long time to go up on the iPlayer.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Perfect Element posted:

Sup fellow Wycombe goon. It was weird seeing Wycombe, especially as it was presumably chosen to represent an anonymous every-town, which I struggle to conceptualise as I grew up there and know it like the back of my hand. When the old Tory said that the system built those roads, he was on the dual carriage way by the fire station, which is just one of the local tidbits with which I was able to endlessly entertain my girlfriend.

Amen brother. I bored everyone to death talking about how Waldo's van was superimposed over Dennis's kebab van. Eating there is definately going to be a weird experience now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

WastedJoker posted:

Danny Dyer's view on Postman Pat on last weeks 8 out of 10 Cats was pretty hilarious.

I didn't make it that far, even reminding myself of how hilariously badly his film is doing couldn't stop the pain of watching him.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Irisi posted:

Gosh, I miss Utopia on a Tuesday night :(. The prospect of Shameless Season Umpteen in its place isn't really floating my boat.

Anybody got any recommendations? I want something weird and black-hearted, plotty and quirky (and I've already watched Luther and The Shadow Line and Red Riding). I don't mind subtitles if you're got any mental foreign conspiracy dramas you want to share your opinions on.

State of Play hasn't got the weird darkness but it's a good conspiracy thriller if that's what you're after.

Rondette posted:

Because he was flat on one side I thought he'd been chopped clean in two initially, which regrettably somehow made it more funny. Can't help feeling the guy who made the call needs to brush up on his "breaking bad news" skills though...

And I couldn't help but be impressed by the stationmaster's facial hair.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did anybody else here watch Good Italy, Bad Italy: Girlfriend in a Coma on BBC4 just now? It was as mental as it title implies. A former editor of the economist and Lenin-impersonator wanders around Italy to continue his vendetta against Berlusconi. Very interesting, and with a startling collection of talking heads including Umberto Eco, Beppe Grillo, two separate people under Police protection from the Mafia, Mario Monti... They even got Benedict Cumberbatch to give readings from Dante. But who structures an essay after Goofus and Gallant? It spends 50 minutes kicking around the culture of corruption and 20 minutes praising the flecks of resistance who stand against it. Also casting Italy as his girlfriend (in a coma) is really creepy, especially when cartoons of her being assaulted by Punch abound.

Metrication posted:

His evidence to the Pollard review was, like, entirely redacted because of the sheer amount of bile directed against specific execs, so you get the sense he's not happy with the show.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flatscan posted:

Look at the way that scene was shot. We absolutely are meant to sympathise and agree with him. They may have cast the most sneering, chinless actor they could find but I rather think that was the point. He looks like an inbred upper-class tosser, but throughout the story he does absolutely nothing wrong. Waldo attacks him for being a public schoolboy with a superiority complex but at no point are we actually shown him being such. The other candidates he attacks are explicitly shown to be exactly what he accuses them of being, but not the Tory. Everything the Tory accuses Jamie of, just before Waldo breaks into his tirade, is absolutely true. As such, when Waldo does lay into him it comes across as being completely unfair, based on class prejudice and self-loathing rather than truth.

Seriously, go back and watch it again. Everything the Tory MP says throughout the story is presented as reasonable. There's no evidence of him being the snobby elitist Waldo accuses him of being beyond his face and accent, his actions just don't bear it out. Brooker is challenging the media narrative regarding the Tories, which in itself isn't a problem. It becomes a problem when instead of challenging the media narrative regarding other political stances, he actually reinforces it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/16/charlie-brooker-cameron-a-lizard
clearly an article written by a Tory voter.

For the record I thought that the Labour candidate was a far more sympathetic character. So she stood in a safe tory seat to further her career, don't hate the player, hate the game. She would have called BT man after the election if he could just keep his mouth shut.

The fact that you found the smarmy public school boy in the blue rosette more appealing may mean that you are a closet Tory.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
BBC2 late night keeps playing bits of shows out of context. I miss the old ceefax pages .

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ben Soosneb posted:

BBC2 late night keeps playing bits of shows out of context. I miss the old ceefax pages .

Fun fact: The music they played over the ceefax pages late at night was often by Aphex Twin :eng101:

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Flatscan posted:

Well it looks like Charlie Brooker votes Tory then.
gently caress you Brooker.

Charlie Brooker posted:

Naturally, I'm biased. I've instinctively hated the Tories since birth. If there was an election tomorrow, and the only two choices were the Nazis or the Tories, I'd vote Tory with an extremely heavy heart. In descending order of vehemence, my objections to the Tory species stem from a) everything they do, b) everything they say, c) everything they stand for, d) how they look, e) their stupid names and f) the noises I imagine they make in bed

Just thought I'd add to the proof that Charlie Brooker outright despises the Tories like any right thinking person does.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Metrication posted:

I don't want to hear another word from that oval office's whore mouth unless he's standing in a dock.

That was my e-mail to Points of View.

edit: Next week on Newsnight: Live Jimmy Savile seance! Kirsty Wark puts some tough questions to the late national treasure.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 27, 2013

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stalingrad posted:

Just thought I'd add to the proof that Charlie Brooker outright despises the Tories like any right thinking person does.

But no, you see all his numerous displays of outright hostility to the tory party are just a smokescreen. His real opinion is clearly displayed in his use of thematic imagery in an episode of a dystopian sci-fi drama.
:goonsay:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I thought it was really cool to have a tory character that wasn't some kind of comic book, Bond villain caricature. Some evil Thatcher parody would have been too easy and one dimensional.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

So did anyone else catch Sue Perkin's new comedy thing Heading Out?

First episode was pretty hilarious with the dead cat scenes, both at the end and at the world's most serious pet incinerators.

Spoiled just in case you want to see it on Iplayer.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Junior G-man posted:

So did anyone else catch Sue Perkin's new comedy thing Heading Out?

First episode was pretty hilarious with the dead cat scenes, both at the end and at the world's most serious pet incinerators.

Spoiled just in case you want to see it on Iplayer.

clocked this last night looking for something to watch, figured I'd wait for someone else to say that it was good. I'll try it out later!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Get in there, just got an astonishing three Pointless answers in the final of the show, would have won myself a tasty £18,000 jackpot if I'd actually been playing it for real.

Also, huge thanks to the goon who recommended State of Play for those suffering from Utopia withdrawals. I'm two episodes in and it is extremely good, John Simm is just pure, solid gold.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Irisi posted:

Get in there, just got an astonishing three Pointless answers in the final of the show, would have won myself a tasty £18,000 jackpot if I'd actually been playing it for real.

Also, huge thanks to the goon who recommended State of Play for those suffering from Utopia withdrawals. I'm two episodes in and it is extremely good, John Simm is just pure, solid gold.

It's ruddy brilliant, isn't it? The acting is superb all round and, yeah, John Simm is particularly awesome.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I've read a lot about the Taste in the Food Network thread, but I'm glad to see it's as shite as they've all been posting. Thanks Charlie!

I think the panel sections up to now have only been used to make this joke.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I never really liked this bit of the show .

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

onoflalks posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Best Weekly Wipe so far I think. Equating a food fair to a concentration camp with the words above the gates and everything was astounding.

moselle
Nov 18, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

I never really liked this bit of the show .
Best episode so far! We're talking about weekly wipe by the way.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There were some classic 'here is how the news / advertising media is completely and utterly poo poo' bits - but I'm surprised he jumped straight into a 'ha ha look at the Harlem Shake idiots' segment straight afterwards, without giving his point a second or so just to sink in.

Maybe there's just been a lot to be bitter about lately?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, film sections redeemed forever. It's like a cave painting you laugh at.

More television programmes need to end with the words "go away".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gorn Myson posted:

That, and while the rest of the CD crowd will obsess over continuity, super hero costumes, fictional universes and minor plot details, he'll just step in call them a bunch of wankers and give a proper reading. Its so loving awesome.

But in some threads, that's an interesting conversation. It's annoying that so many of the longer threads in CD are a few posts saying "This film was a film that happened to me and I watched it happening while it happened to me" then thirty pages of arguing minutae with SMG.
If anyone watched Room 237 SMG reminds me of the guy who thought the Shining was all about how the moon landing was faked, because while you can sort of support that it's just reaching much too far and too hard.

Anyway - Black Mirror.
I loved the first episode of this series. That one and the last one of series 1 are probably my favourites. They're a single idea followed through which relates to stuff in modern life, classic 60s style Sci-fi stuff.
Whereas although I see where he was going with episode 2 and 3 so much of it was taken setting the scene that the eventual denouement actually ended up being trite and boring - I'd imagined something better in my head than what it actually turned out to be. S1E3 and S2E1 start with the sci-fi idea and move on from there, but S2E2 and S2E3 more or less end on the idea being revealed and it's not as exciting.

That isn't to say any of them are bad, they were all good TV, but I expected more I think.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

onoflalks posted:

That was the highlight of the series :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, watched the episode of 8 Out of 10 Cats with Danny Dyer yesterday. They spent most of the show taking the piss out of him and making him seem like a nutter. He didn't help matters either. Although he had quite a sense of humour about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Whenever I've seen him on stuff he comes across as a lovable idiot, doesn't have a stick up his arse, knows people take the piss out of him, takes it well.

I like him, I think I'd like to have a beer with him.