Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Guesticles posted:

In the event of a wipe, why not give the entire party the option of rerolling or being turned into vampires and banished from Strahd's realm?

I wouldn't say death is not the end is the absolute answer, its as close as you're going to get to one. Unless any of players did something really, really stupid, I'm not going to kill their characters beyond resurrection if they want to keep playing that character.

I guess another question is what sort game are you playing? If I was going to be playing a game in a harsh Gygaxian world, I'd let the players know that is how its going to be before the first session started. If I'm not, and ressurection is possible, it will seem like something personal when you don't let their character be resurrected.

Thanks for the advice Guesticles.

I am playing a very Philip K. Dickian version of Planescape, but it is mostly is set, through levels 1-11 in a very corrupt big city in Faerun. So yeah, gritty urban environment meets reality bending magic. It's kind like we're playing a 1,600's version of Shadowrun really. Combat doesn't happen constantly, but when it does, it's memorable and difficult to the point where the characters are pushed into states akin to McClane in the last 30 minutes of Die Hard.

Yeah, if they die in Ravenloft they'll just be resurrected after the mission is over. Only now they thirst for blood. Unless they want to re-roll a character. And I know a few of them would be open to that. But still dramatically changing and co-opting and shanghaiing someone else's character, is possibly worse than killing them in my opinion.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Player death is also very situational to me too. If its some random encounter I'd fudge it or he'd be "near death" or some other random penalty would be applied partially because dying to a spike trap is lame for everyone and partially because its really irritating introducing a new character into the adventure.

That said, if the character dies because the player is doing something utterly retarded, I let them die. A while time back in a game I was playing in one of the other guys had a monk and he charged a pack of three frost giants getting there at least two rounds faster than anyone else could possibly assist him, and he got utterly gibbed from focus fire. He was super pissed that he got killed "in a random encounter" but really- not killing him would almost have been worse because if you won't kill someone in that situation, when would you? Removing the risk from the game isn't much fun either.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Yeah, I killed the ranger's familiar last game because they had it run ahead of the group in a forest full of worgs. The panther then proceeded to get down to -2 health. The party did not engage the worg that was killing their pet. The pet died next round via coup de grace. They argued for a chance to save the pet after it died. I told them they had a chance and didn't bother to take it. The worgs eat tonight.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

homullus posted:

There was a D&D article that had vehicle rules for the new (4e) Gamma World. Use those. It had at-wills for slamming into other vehicles, riding on just two wheels (out of four), defensive weaving, et cetera too.

Absolutely perfect thank you. I've made about 6-7 sections of drawn and scanned "mountain road" tiles to use, so I'll just recycle those until the encounter ends.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm running 4e's Slaying Stone adventure on Saturday to kick off a new campaign. One of my players is a seasoned vet, one has not played 4e before, and three are totally new to D&D. You've probably heard about my woes with running games IRL and online so I'd like this one to last and be special.

-I made this thing to introduce the different classes to my players, and I have the Essentials books (Fallen Lands, Forgotten Kingdoms, Rules Compendium) in physical format. Anything else that will help get the newbies up to speed?
-What should I change about Slaying Stone? I'm already planning to replace the bullshit first encounter (wolves in difficult terrain) but what with?
-Can we do the whole adventure in 5 or so hours?
-Are there any essential iPad apps (paid or free) I should use?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

-Can we do the whole adventure in 5 or so hours?

It's 12 or so encounters, isn't it? With four new players, three of them new to D&D as a whole, you're looking at closer to 3–4 sessions.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Right, it's one encounter an hour huh. Well that's a good start at least--keeps them coming back for more! :)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Walker posted:

-What should I change about Slaying Stone? I'm already planning to replace the bullshit first encounter (wolves in difficult terrain) but what with?

Just cut it. It's mechanically and narratively boring, and unimportant to the story at large.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

cbirdsong posted:

Just cut it. It's mechanically and narratively boring, and unimportant to the story at large.

How do the PCs meet Treona, then?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also note that The Slaying Stone is another one that a lucky or insightful party can short-circuit, and finish in a handful of encounters if they just happen to go to the right places.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

homullus posted:

Also note that The Slaying Stone is another one that a lucky or insightful party can short-circuit, and finish in a handful of encounters if they just happen to go to the right places.

True, I'll have to plan out every fight in advance. Thank god the monster math is at least up to snuff.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Walker posted:

How do the PCs meet Treona, then?

Hopefully there's something in the PC backstories you can use, but otherwise you can just have them start there? The plot as written is a lady hearing about some sweet adventurers, and then waiting until she can save them from wolves to give them a job. Just cut that out and have her summon them mysteriously.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Or just have them fight the wolves. It's not a hard fight and you might be overthinking this.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

homullus posted:

Or just have them fight the wolves. It's not a hard fight and you might be overthinking this.

Probably, though I must say that as a player an entire map of difficult terrain is not my idea of a good time.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Captain Walker posted:

Probably, though I must say that as a player an entire map of difficult terrain is not my idea of a good time.

I haven't done this exact encounter, but I've done "everything is difficult terrain." It sucks way less than you'd think. Unless you are playing Killstealin' Bob, the Chargin' Barbarian. Bob also dislikes stairs.

e: I would add, there's not much sense in making/using a large map for that kind of fight; basically all the melees will engage ASAP and not move apart until their opponent drops.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

P.d0t posted:

e: I would add, there's not much sense in making/using a large map for that kind of fight; basically all the melees will engage ASAP and not move apart until their opponent drops.

To add to this, if you're playing out a scenario like that, it really helps to put a little more into the fight than simple run at ya tactics. Maybe the wolves are acclimated to the terrain and can launch hit and run strikes using pack behavior, or something. Just having everything be difficult terrain with no point delays the inevitable and adds one more layer of conditional poo poo that will become irrelevant fast.

Granted, most ranged attackers aren't going to care either way, but that's basic tactics for you.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

01011001 posted:

To add to this, if you're playing out a scenario like that, it really helps to put a little more into the fight than simple run at ya tactics. Maybe the wolves are acclimated to the terrain and can launch hit and run strikes using pack behavior, or something. Just having everything be difficult terrain with no point delays the inevitable and adds one more layer of conditional poo poo that will become irrelevant fast.

Granted, most ranged attackers aren't going to care either way, but that's basic tactics for you.

On the other hand it is literally the very first fight in a level 1 adventure module. Only one of the players has done D&D and the others are new -- I really don't see the problem with the first fight not having as much movement or whatever. It is their first fight and they'll be learning everything else.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

You might want to open with a railroading tutorial fight with players brawling. Maybe it's a fight they can win. Maybe it's not. Maybe it's a bar brawl. Maybe it's soldier training. Maybe it's a rival adventuring party. Maybe it's a prison yard fight. Who knows? You can use it to set up exposition of the story, or the players placement within the setting.

The trick is, both the players and the enemies are doing non-lethal damage. So you'll have to remove the players from their weapons, or just not give them to the players right off the bat. Maybe they've got PVC versions of their weapons? If the players are new to the game, it'll probably help them get the hang of it before you send them into potentially deadly fights.

I used this at the beginning of my current campaign with the players fighting a crooked town guard while getting jumped at the gate of the opening city. It wasn't a fight the players could win. They would get arrested at the end of the fight, no matter what. But to kick it up, I gave the players reputation points with the different underground elements of the city based on how many cops they knocked out or incapacitated before falling. Worked out pretty well.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 2, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
For ranged characters in a brawl type situation (that aren't magic based, at least) why not give them something they can throw like darts (from a literal dart board)? Handwave it to do whatever non-lethal damage you need it to do and still be able to contribute to the fight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VanSandman posted:

For ranged characters in a brawl type situation (that aren't magic based, at least) why not give them something they can throw like darts (from a literal dart board)? Handwave it to do whatever non-lethal damage you need it to do and still be able to contribute to the fight.
Also, for that fight only, allow everyone to cast Grease, provided they run into the kitchen to grab some first.

Bingarosso
Feb 28, 2013

God Of Paradise posted:

You might want to open with a railroading tutorial fight with players brawling. Maybe it's a fight they can win. Maybe it's not. Maybe it's a bar brawl....

I did the bar brawl route with my players, who with the exception of one are brand new. None of them were aligned evil, so I basically said "No weapons, just fists, this is a bar fight, you're not trying to kill anyone." It was a huge hit. It got them used to the basics of combat, move, minor, standard, roll to hit, roll for damage and took out the complexity of "Choosing the Right Power." As soon as they demonstrated that they could get through two rounds of combat (some players I made stay 3), I had them "whisked away" to the back room to start receiving their exposition briefing/quest assignment. Flowed very nicely, got the blood flowing early.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bingarosso posted:

I did the bar brawl route with my players, who with the exception of one are brand new. None of them were aligned evil, so I basically said "No weapons, just fists, this is a bar fight, you're not trying to kill anyone." It was a huge hit. It got them used to the basics of combat, move, minor, standard, roll to hit, roll for damage and took out the complexity of "Choosing the Right Power." As soon as they demonstrated that they could get through two rounds of combat (some players I made stay 3), I had them "whisked away" to the back room to start receiving their exposition briefing/quest assignment. Flowed very nicely, got the blood flowing early.

Good execution!

Far too often people feel the need to have combat run until 'completion', which usually means 0 HP. Great thinking for an intro-fight, especially, but it carries over into pretty much any combat.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is the best way to go about designing towns and stuff? Right now I'm just sitting here making lots of different building designs with the idea that I could just randomly place them where I want to.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

SlayVus posted:

What is the best way to go about designing towns and stuff? Right now I'm just sitting here making lots of different building designs with the idea that I could just randomly place them where I want to.

That's more or less what I do if I'm not using an already designed town. I tend to break things down into districts and then place appropriate buildings.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 9, 2013

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

D&D4E question: Is it a bad thing to reward players with an occasional, specific feat for tasks handled or training undergone, ala perks from Fallout: New Vegas? It seems to overlap into alternative rewards, but it'd be interesting from a narrative perspective.

VV Loud and clear!

Huszsersvn fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 9, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

Huszsersvn posted:

D&D4E question: Is it a bad thing to reward players with an occasional, specific feat for tasks handled or training undergone, ala perks from Fallout: New Vegas? It seems to overlap into alternative rewards, but it'd be interesting from a narrative perspective.

Depends on how useful the feat is. I give my players silly bonus feats (usually after a notable session) pretty often, but I usually hand them out to the whole party, they don't really affect game play that much, or only in very specific circumstances.

For example, I gave the dwarf +2 to insight and nature to determine if a liquid is poisonous... but only after consuming it. Or the wizard gains Resist All 2 as long as he is at zero or fewer hitpoints. His Mage Hand can also lift 21 lbs.
These feats all have horrible puns for their names.

If you want to grant them useful bonuses, check out Boons in DMG2.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Is there a right way to deal with "I want a different character?" Or is it ok to say no?

There's four of us playing. Unless the one guy wants to run a "you have to do this" story that he has, I'm the DM. I really have no idea what I'm doing but no one else wants to do it. A few sessions ago the one guy says "I don't like my [whatever he was]. I rolled a new character by myself and he's a paladin." I didn't like not seeing his rolls and that's where I should have said something. But we were between stories and nothing major was going on so I let it go. He wasn't involved for 20-30 minutes until I had the original group run into him. I think I set a bad precedent.

Tonight we were continuing from the story from the past couple sessions and I thought it was pretty good. The group had commandeered a slaver ship and brought it into port at a completely different town from where I had planned for them to end 1-2 sessions ago. At port, the Paladin got arrested/taken in for questioning because the town watch showed up and found the former captain dead while under the Paladin's "protection". We ended there because I didn't know where I wanted to go with it at the time. Tonight I show up ready to continue from that point. And then one of the other characters says "Oh, I switched from a Cleric to a Wizard."

I have bits and pieces in my mind on what I want to do with the story, a Cleric or a Wizard doesn't change them really. My problem was that it was changed mid-story without any discussion with me. Would I have been wrong to say no? I tried to recover with 'Well I can use your Cleric. Your Wizard will meet the Paladin while he's in jail? Maybe the other one will break them both out?' No, instead of a new stat sheet he took the old stat sheet, erased the Cleric stats and put in the new Wizard stats which were rolled while I wasn't there. Then scaled them to the level of the other two players.

I know this isn't a win or lose game and it's just about having fun but that seemed like it was really lovely to not tell me before hand. Am I wrong? Is there a good way to handle the situation besides saying "no" or saying "you're weaker than them anyway?"

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

You're a player too, as a DM. Talk to your players and let them know whats up; if it isn't fun for you.

Splitting the party when it comes to experience/levels is nearly always a bad idea; and it's a rather in-game 'punishment' for something that can be solved outside of it. Try finding out why they're switching characters, and see if you can't just work from that angle.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Quid posted:

Is there a right way to deal with "I want a different character?" Or is it ok to say no?

There's four of us playing. Unless the one guy wants to run a "you have to do this" story that he has, I'm the DM. I really have no idea what I'm doing but no one else wants to do it. A few sessions ago the one guy says "I don't like my [whatever he was]. I rolled a new character by myself and he's a paladin." I didn't like not seeing his rolls and that's where I should have said something. But we were between stories and nothing major was going on so I let it go. He wasn't involved for 20-30 minutes until I had the original group run into him. I think I set a bad precedent.

a) why would you say no? It's a game, everyone should play what lets them have fun (as long as it doesn't hamper other people's fun).

b) why would you roll for stats? Use point buy. Point buy exists for a reason. The reason is that rolled stats are lovely and dumb.

Just because a player changes what their character is mechanically doesn't mean that character has to change narratively. It's pretty poor form of your players to retrain without telling you (unless you tell them they can), but just insist on them finding a way for their character to stay the same narratively when they do if it bugs you.

Quid posted:

No, instead of a new stat sheet he took the old stat sheet, erased the Cleric stats and put in the new Wizard stats which were rolled while I wasn't there. Then scaled them to the level of the other two players.

You're not actually making people who change characters come in at a different level from the rest of the party, are you?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I am that guy who gets bored with his characters and in most campaigns I've played I changed characters, sometimes two or three times. As that guy I'd say, yes, the DM should definitely allow that. But I also never in a million years would have dreamed of springing that on a guy without any sort of preparation or approval and expecting him to accept it.

A good way to handle the situation, therefore, is to say "sure you can switch, what do you have in mind, just some adjustments that would allow Sam the Priest to still be Sam the Priest, or full-on, character retires, party meets a new face?" If it's adjustments, go over them with the player and implement them without further ado, if it's complete switching or adjustments large enough to justify some big in-story event, ask them to give you a session or two and then get to work on facilitating that switch ASAP.

It's perfectly okay to say "no" but you'll fare better with "not yet, let me have a look and think of a transition first."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like rolled stats, honestly, and while I don't think it's innately unreasonable to want to see the rolls, I have to ask: do you have any reason to believe the guy was less than honest with his rolls? Like I assume you're not looking at a guy with a bank of solid 18s. If the numbers look all right, I kind of fail to see how the problem is solved by anything other than saying, "Hey, if you want to switch characters, let me know in advance in case I have to change any plans. I'd also prefer if you did your rolls with me around. Just keep that in mind for next time, okay?"

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Apologies in advance if this isn't the right thread to ask this.

I need some help with worldbuilding. Specifically I'm writing a campaign set entirely in a sprawling fantasy city. Emphasis will mostly be on the PCs uncovering conspiracies and corruption; plots, intrigue, all that good stuff. I've never really focused on an urban setting before though. How do I make my city feel alive? Are there any good resources for citybuilding?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Quid posted:

In some games, they are bored with the concept, in others with the mechanical parts of their chosen character (especially in a game like D&D 4e). In the latter case, I try to retcon the character -- "you are playing the same persona, but this is what he was all along" -- to keep the story threads, and if that's not possible, the burden is on the player to explain why the new character would join the party, and why the party would allow this (with the other players providing their real input). If they're bored with the concept/persona, then the player gets the job of fitting it into the party as above.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I need some help with worldbuilding. Specifically I'm writing a campaign set entirely in a sprawling fantasy city. Emphasis will mostly be on the PCs uncovering conspiracies and corruption; plots, intrigue, all that good stuff. I've never really focused on an urban setting before though. How do I make my city feel alive? Are there any good resources for citybuilding?
Vornheim is a pretty great book for this sort of thing!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PlatinumJukebox posted:

S. John Ross wrote a little piece called "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" that provides a set of charts for how common goods and services would be per population. That can provide you with some numbers.

For giving things life, divide your city up into areas and factions. Don't worry about pinning them down too much to start with, but figure out how the city is run. Are the temples centralized or decentralized? Do workers form into guilds (or labor unions, or both, or even professional organizations) or not? Are politics solely the domain of the powerful or not? Are political factions formal or informal? Who officially runs the city, and who unofficially runs it? Is there a developed bureaucracy or not? Are there ethnic or racial tensions or divisions? (These can be as simple and lighthearted as a Dwarftown or Little Faerie, or you can have ethnic criminal and social organizations, or outright segregation and racism and anything in between if that's your bag.) What surrounds the city, immediately and a little ways off? How old is the city? Does it sprawl with lots of single and two-story buildings, or is it tightly-collected, with multistory tenements and apartment complexes? How do the people eat and drink, both in terms of where it comes from (a city dependent on foreign trade will run differently from one dependent on feudal peasants, and one with artesian wells will live and smell differently from one that uses rivers or lakes) and what is eaten and drunk? How do they get rid of their garbage and their poo poo? What do the buildings look like/are they made of?

Answer the ones that seem interesting, and then you'll have details to fill in the blanks. I did something like this fairly recently, and a potentially eight-way political struggle emerged, with a brewing crime war, tension between the established "civilized races" and recent orc and kobold migrants, a set of nifty dungeons, and two different conspiracies to play with.

Once you do this, start creating "faces" for the different factions and areas. You've got a conspiracy to unseat the current ruler? Come up with someone to represent them to the players. You may even want more than one someone- this can be especially useful for areas like the "bad part of town" or "good part of town"- you don't necessarily want the crime lord or the decadent hedonist to be the sole representation of their area, nor the struggling shopkeeper or passionate politician. Once you've got these things put together, you're probably ready to start writing descriptions and figuring out the nitty-gritty, but you can also start running things and come up with the finer details in the course of play, too.

While you're playing things out, throw in people doing everyday things in description. These can be as ordinary or extraordinary in either category as you think best befits the city. Have a lizardman fetching water, or a teenager summoning a flying bridge to get to a friend's house, or whatever depending on how weird things are supposed to be and in what direction you want that weirdness to go.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I've been sitting on a campaign idea I'm pretty excited about, but I need to pick a ruleset and the rules I'm familiar with don't really work with what I'm thinking of running. The general idea is that the PCs are employed by a PMC (think Blackwater) in the nearish future (3-5 years).

I'd like the game play to mostly be a planning section where the PCs use contacts or their skills to research a target and then a mission section where they execute whatever task they need to complete. The initial hooks would be provided by the fact that their employer has a contract with a multinational company to extract and protect high value employees from dangerous situations as the world wide political situation is getting more and more unstable. So the first 3-4 tasks would be like:
  • Extract an expat who refuses to leave his friends who are are taking part in a revolution (think the Arab Spring).
  • Rescue a kidnapping victim from an insurgent group in the deep jungle (who it turns out have a dozen victims, more than the PCs have equipment to easily extract).
  • With no notice, secure a well stocked office building in a riot zone while a rival company attempts to use the riot as cover to conduct industrial espionage.
  • Extract an employee who has a medical condition with many challenges (needs oxygen, electricity, has a bulky wheelchair/gurney) from the middle of a disaster area.
Depending on how these things go, I could keep running those sorts of adventures or start dropping hints that part of the global instability is somehow related to their missions. I'd prefer to not have a lot of rules complexity (Pathfinder for example is way too much for what I'd like) and I'd like the power curve to be pretty flat.

Anyone have any suggestions for a rule set? I'll probably homebrew a lot of it, but having a good base to work off of would be helpful.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I've found the most important thing from a game perspective is to make sure there's lots of conflicts. Come up with a person who'd be interesting to the party, maybe the bar owner. Who are his enemies? Maybe some organized crime dudes. Who are the enemies of THOSE people? Local guard force, rival gangs, trade guilds. You can keep expanding from there, or seed a new web of conflict, maybe starting from the mayor this time. Throw some random connections in there. Why does the mayor hate the captain of the guard? These conflicts are where you're going to get your adventure hooks; someone will want something done, and they'll pay the PCs to do it.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Quid posted:

[...]

I know this isn't a win or lose game and it's just about having fun but that seemed like it was really lovely to not tell me before hand. Am I wrong? Is there a good way to handle the situation besides saying "no" or saying "you're weaker than them anyway?"

I usually let my players have 100% free ret-conned character rebuilds until level 3 (5 if any of the players are new), and class changes until 5. I figure by level 5 the party should have their combat dynamics figured out, and any changes after that are for reasons a bit deeper than "Bard sounded fun, but I realize I hate it".

I'm not had any of players want to change classes after this point, but I think that's because I usually have stories going on where the characters are central to the goings-ons from the beginning. (In my current game the characters have been affected by an evil curse, so there may also be a bit of "I don't want to fight the lvl 20 evil lich version of my current character later.").

If a player did want to change after level 5, I'd talk to them outside of the game and find out why they wanted to change. If they just want to test a build, or want to take a break from their current class, maybe run a one shot or make an excuse for their character to go away for a bit and give them control of an NPC to test it out (this is part of the reason I like to have henchman slot in the party). If they're tired of their current character, I'd probably try to find out why; not to say no, but to make sure changing its a problem with their character and not something else.

The only way to 'lose' when playing DnD is to not enjoy it. But that also includes you, the DM.

Effectronica posted:

S. John Ross wrote a little piece called "Medieval Demographics Made Easy" that provides a set of charts for how common goods and services would be per population. That can provide you with some numbers.

This is solid gold right here.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

TalonDemonKing posted:

You're a player too, as a DM. Talk to your players and let them know whats up; if it isn't fun for you.

Splitting the party when it comes to experience/levels is nearly always a bad idea; and it's a rather in-game 'punishment' for something that can be solved outside of it. Try finding out why they're switching characters, and see if you can't just work from that angle.
It's not that it wasn't fun, it was just unexpected. I'm used to them coming up with unique ideas but it rubbed me the wrong way that he told me as we were walking to the table to play and not when we talked earlier. I realize now that I was just basically having a mental hissy fit for no reason. They know I come to the table with little to no real idea on what I'm doing anyway so for them the change wasn't a big deal. It shouldn't have been for me. I definitely agree with the level/experience thing, I don't know why that was an issue with me. The explanation for the change was "I didn't want to be a cleric anymore, I want to be a wizard. I'm wishy-washy."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

a) why would you say no? It's a game, everyone should play what lets them have fun (as long as it doesn't hamper other people's fun).

b) why would you roll for stats? Use point buy. Point buy exists for a reason. The reason is that rolled stats are lovely and dumb.

Just because a player changes what their character is mechanically doesn't mean that character has to change narratively. It's pretty poor form of your players to retrain without telling you (unless you tell them they can), but just insist on them finding a way for their character to stay the same narratively when they do if it bugs you.

You're not actually making people who change characters come in at a different level from the rest of the party, are you?
a) The extent of my reasoning was "Because I don't want him to." I couldn't articulate a better/good reason which is why I didn't say no at the time.

b) I just looked up point buying and holy poo poo, that's a brilliant idea. The guy who started us playing said stat rolling was how characters are made and I didn't know any different. Going forward that's just how I'm going to do it. That makes things a lot easier for when someone wants a character that needs certain stats.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A good way to handle the situation, therefore, is to say "sure you can switch, what do you have in mind, just some adjustments that would allow Sam the Priest to still be Sam the Priest, or full-on, character retires, party meets a new face?" If it's adjustments, go over them with the player and implement them without further ado, if it's complete switching or adjustments large enough to justify some big in-story event, ask them to give you a session or two and then get to work on facilitating that switch ASAP.

It's perfectly okay to say "no" but you'll fare better with "not yet, let me have a look and think of a transition first."

homullus posted:

In some games, they are bored with the concept, in others with the mechanical parts of their chosen character (especially in a game like D&D 4e). In the latter case, I try to retcon the character -- "you are playing the same persona, but this is what he was all along" -- to keep the story threads, and if that's not possible, the burden is on the player to explain why the new character would join the party, and why the party would allow this (with the other players providing their real input). If they're bored with the concept/persona, then the player gets the job of fitting it into the party as above.
Looking back I think I should have said "That's fine. But you're going to have to go through a trial" or some such for him to make the change and tied it into the bigger story on a whole. I have a good way of seeing perfect story ideas that I missed after the fact.

Guesticles posted:

If a player did want to change after level 5, I'd talk to them outside of the game and find out why they wanted to change. If they just want to test a build, or want to take a break from their current class, maybe run a one shot or make an excuse for their character to go away for a bit and give them control of an NPC to test it out (this is part of the reason I like to have henchman slot in the party). If they're tired of their current character, I'd probably try to find out why; not to say no, but to make sure changing its a problem with their character and not something else.
If he had made a new character I think I would have had more to work with. When I asked him further it was basically the cleric couldn't hit as hard as the fighter or have good enough spells to do more than heal and he didn't want to be the dedicated healer without better spells. I could have just thrown him a couple spells. When another guy wanted to be a Ranger so he could have a squirrel follow him I told him to just stay as his fighter but also now he has a squirrel following him. This time I ended up going with what was going to be a one shot while I thought of how I'd fit the wizard into the original story. But the one shot turned into a new idea I like that will stretch out for a good couple rounds so I'm just gonna go with it. When they're done I'll encourage them to head back to the original town with some local people hints unless things go elsewhere.

Overall, now I agree saying no would have been the wrong course of action. I'm still kind of learning (the guy who started us playing had to explain saving throws to me again thanks to the wizard) so I'm glad it sounds like I mostly handled it ok. I've been reading this thread for ideas and it's definitely been a help so thanks for the topic and the help on this question.

Bingarosso
Feb 28, 2013
This whole conversation brings up a really fundamental question for me. I've run my first full adventure with my characters, and used as a motivation "Here's some money, and a clear task in front of you...there's no time....go!"

It worked, but in the meantime, a new character has joined the group, the immediacy impetus is now somewhat relieved and I'm trying to anticipate and avoid the sort of scenario above where players don't feel like their characters are necessary elements of the story. Of course, this is done with character hooks..but how?

My question is what are the BEST techniques for character hooks? What have you done in your games to increase your understanding, as well as the player's understanding of the characters? I'm sure it is dependent on the players, but what types of motivations have you had most success with? What has not worked at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Let the players decide how their characters to relate to the world. Your task is to give them lots of opportunities to make such decisions. You do this by giving them lots of situations that ask them to make tradeoffs between different drives such as compassion, loyalty, greed, ambition, revenge, love, etc. As their characters begin to develop, introduce supporting characters that will act as focal points - a young child to protect, a liege to be loyal to, a rival to best, and they will likely run with a hook on their own. If, however, they just opt for the murder-hobo choice every time, then perhaps your players don't want meaningful character development and just want to play tactical-crap-shoot.