Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I get text artifacting like this on text occasionally on a number of different sites. Anyone know the cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

CMD+` has stopped cycling through Chrome windows on one of my Macs. It still cycles through windows in other apps (e.g. Safari) on that Mac. It works fine in Chrome on my other Macs. Chrome extensions etc. are synced across all of my computers and I haven't installed any new extensions recently. Running newest Chrome version. Anyone seen this behavior before and know what might be causing it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is kind of an off-beat question, but I was wondering how I could keep a tab open that would regularly refresh a website for news updates. I could probably do this for CNN.com, but why use a generalized page when I could have something personalized like the news feeds I follow on Twitter? Trouble is, I'm not much of a Twitter power user, so I don't know of websites or services that can do the auto-refreshing. And yes, hitting F5 on twitter.com when it says "X new tweets" defeats the whole purpose.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Josh Lyman posted:

This is kind of an off-beat question, but I was wondering how I could keep a tab open that would regularly refresh a website for news updates. I could probably do this for CNN.com, but why use a generalized page when I could have something personalized like the news feeds I follow on Twitter? Trouble is, I'm not much of a Twitter power user, so I don't know of websites or services that can do the auto-refreshing. And yes, hitting F5 on twitter.com when it says "X new tweets" defeats the whole purpose.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I use http://protopage.com as my home page with different RSS feeds, and it refreshes itself.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Chrome is messing up! Clicking to switch to a tab closes it, and I can't use the bookmarks bar or my other bookmarks.

Edit: a reboot fixed it.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 28, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Chrome on iOS seem really suddenly buggy to anyone else?

When I focus on a SA textbox to type a post or reply, I don't get the cursor so I have no idea where I'm inserting text. I don't think Chrome actually knows its inserting text, other than the fact that the keyboard is up.

If I go to my bookmarks and select a page, then hit the back button to go back to my bookmarks, the entire app crashes.

Just wondering if anyone's experienced this or if it's just one of those things that creep up every now and then.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

You can use igHome for feeds. http://www.ighome.com/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

flatluigi posted:

I get text artifacting like this on text occasionally on a number of different sites. Anyone know the cause?

I'm getting this poo poo now, like on the dropdowns here
http://www.fender.com/community/guitar-tuner/
So maybe it's a Flash issue?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Alright, so Chrome is broken for me and crashing whenever I access google search. This is infuriating because I use google search probably once every 10 minutes or so :v:

I've tried restarting and reinstalling, neither have resolved the issue. Is this a known bug and is there something I can do about it?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Open settings->Tools-> Extensions and turn them all off. If you stop crashing turn them back on one at a time until you crash again, you've found your problem.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yaos posted:

Open settings->Tools-> Extensions and turn them all off. If you stop crashing turn them back on one at a time until you crash again, you've found your problem.

Disabled all of them, still crashing. This only started yesterday, I'm not sure what's going on.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I have a chance to get a NIB Samsung Series 5 Chromebook for $100, give or take. I know it's old, but does that matter all that much with ChromeOS?

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

Version 25.0.1364.97 m

I've just switched to Chrome finally, and while I'm liking it so far, a few small problems are making me reconsider Firefox. I'm still working my way through this thread, but I've noticed a few missing items that I can't seem to locate in any options dialogue.

1)Where is the "Clear history on exit" option?

2)Tab titles are almost completely useless due to the character limit. Are there any options to move the tabs below the bookmark bar, thereby freeing the title bar for appropriate-length titles? Or any options whatsoever for expanded titles?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Subway Ninja posted:

Why not just boot into incognito with a shortcut switch?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Matlock posted:

My dad has this weird problem where every time Chrome updates itself the shortcut gets reset to start chrome in normal mode. Eventually I taught him how to edit it to add the incognito switch back on his own, but its just weird. I haven't seen it happen to anyone else.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

Matlock posted:

I was under the impression that incognito mode doesn't track downloaded files and deletes/prevents new cookies. I also remember reading something account Google accounts storing history, which can somehow be viewed by chrome, but I can't seem to find the original article I read.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Chrome had the little spanner icon indicating an update yesterday. I restarted it, and now I keep getting a notification at the top of pages saying Flash Player has been blocked because it's out of date. If I click the button to update it it takes me to Adobe's web site which says "If you are using the Google Chrome browser, Adobe® Flash® Player is built-in but has been disabled." There's some instructions about how to re-enable it but when I go to about:plugins, it's says it's enabled, although there's a link next to it saying "download critical security update", but that just takes me back to the same page.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, Chrome is repeatedly crashing now on PC. Seems to happen only on Youtube.

Edit: Not just Youtube. Seems to just be crashing every now and then with no warning.

Argas fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 1, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Matlock posted:

I have a chance to get a NIB Samsung Series 5 Chromebook for $100, give or take. I know it's old, but does that matter all that much with ChromeOS?

Don't think so. Any chance there's more than 1 available? Haha, been wanting a Chromebook for sometime now.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Argas posted:

Edit: Not just Youtube. Seems to just be crashing every now and then with no warning.

Oh, good, it's not just me then. Hopefully this means it's happening to a bunch of people and Google pushes an update soon (or something figures out what the hell is going on).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Subway Ninja posted:

Under "Content Settings" in the Privacy section.

Argas posted:

Emalde posted:

Oh, good, it's not just me then. Hopefully this means it's happening to a bunch of people and Google pushes an update soon (or something figures out what the hell is going on).

I have had success from disabling GPU options in chrome://flags or switching to a different version.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Crashes seem to have stopped without requiring me to do anything so I'm perplexed.

The machine spirits are a bunch of assholes.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Chrome and the Google Drive desktop app share the same notification tray icon now:

[e] hang on, that might be a result of me using the 'offline' feature of the Drive app

spincube fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 2, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

hifi posted:

Under "Content Settings" in the Privacy section.

I have had success from disabling GPU options in chrome://flags or switching to a different version.

Seems like switching to beta fixed it, thanks!

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Is there any way to add icons to left side like you can in FF? Something like this?

I tried googling everywhere and no results :(

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Is there a way to stop an extension from syncing without turning off sync for all extensions? SABconnect++ keeps getting it's API key overwritten with the API key for which ever device I logged in with last.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I've been having this weird issue with youtube recently. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, but sometimes after I watch a video, there will be this persistent grey rectangle that appears. It doesn't cover the video, but it covers everything else, and I haven't figured a way to get rid of it, save for closing the tab. Anyone else have this issue?

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

unpronounceable posted:

I've been having this weird issue with youtube recently. I haven't seen any rhyme or reason as to when it happens, but sometimes after I watch a video, there will be this persistent grey rectangle that appears. It doesn't cover the video, but it covers everything else, and I haven't figured a way to get rid of it, save for closing the tab. Anyone else have this issue?

I had that problem too until it went away suddenly one day. Now that I think about it, that was around the time I switched from Adblock Plus to AdBlock. Try whitelisting Youtube?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chrome seems to be giving me kernel panics on my MBP. I remember them having issues like this a year or two ago but now it's happening to me. Twice so far, across two Chrome updates. The post-reboot error log claims Chrome was the source of the crash, though I haven't been able to figure out what causes it exactly. The first time Chrome was idle and the second crash happened during normal browsing. Anyone else having similar problems? I'm using the latest stable release of Chrome, by the way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chrome has been randomly crashing on me on 3 different systems for a while now. I thought it was maybe due to imo.im running in a tab, but that's just normal AJAX AFAIK.

In any case, I updated to a new version of Chrome just now and we'll see if I don't fare better.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I've empirically narrowed those kinds of normal crashes to something up with the Nvidia drivers/card on my rMBP at least.

If you believe me, you can hope and wait for 10.8.3 to have fixes. There's also the option of disabling the hardware accelerated stuff layers in about://flags. Also, if your Macbook has an Intel card, I guess you can lock the card to that with gfxcardstatus. Intel was rock solid for me.

YMMV.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

crazysim posted:

I've empirically narrowed those kinds of normal crashes to something up with the Nvidia drivers/card on my rMBP at least.

If you believe me, you can hope and wait for 10.8.3 to have fixes. There's also the option of disabling the hardware accelerated stuff layers in about ://flags. Also, if your Macbook has an Intel card, I guess you can lock the card to that with gfxcardstatus. Intel was rock solid for me.

YMMV.
My old laptop is a Dell Latitude D830 with a Quadro NVS 140M and my desktop has a 560 Ti, but my work laptop (also experiencing crashes) only has integrated Intel HD 3000. All three crash.

Annnd it seems the update to Chrome didn't help. Came into the office this morning to a "Google Chrome has stopped working". :ughh:

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
A new patched dropped today for HoverZoom to turn off 3rd party opt-ins. Hmmm... didn't realize Hover Zoom reported to 3rd parties. Googled around to see what Hover Zoom had been up to. Turns out quite a bit.

Long story short, the author inserted code a few version back to detect unused domain names for domain squatting purposes after quote: "a partnership has been established with a media consulting company. It detects unused domain names and posts the results to their site. The collected data is strictly anonymous." Some folks on github dug deeper and also discovered an Amazon affiliate (i.e. author makes money off your Amazon purchases). I don't mind extension authors making money, but it's looking pretty drat scummy since the affiliate portion of the script isn't under source control and not visible from the Google Code repo. It was only discovered after someone on Reddit downloaded the HoverZoom extension from hoverzoom.net and unpacked it.

I've disabled HoverZoom for the time being to see how this all blows over. It's been pulled from the Google store before for something similar. Getting kinda pissed.

tl;dr: If you use HoverZoom, go to options and turn off 3rd party notifications at the very least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, that is pretty shady. I love the functionality of HoverZoom too.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Is anyone else getting this bizarre loving issue of searching in Chrome's addy bar for google triplicating what they searched?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Computer won't sleep after the last major update. I have to run powercfg -requests a few times before I see the following pop up:

code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Uploading data.
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Uploading data.

AWAYMODE:
None.
I tried the following:
code:
powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe awaymode display system

powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS chrome.exe awaymode display system
Both havent fixed the issue, after that update. I can manually start -> sleep, but it'll never shut down itself. Getting real pissed off at this. I have backups kick off in the morning so I don't have to wait around for them but I expect the computer to sleep after, hasn't worked right for over a week. Anybody got any ideas?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone else on the beta channel (26.0.1410.19 beta-m) experiencing "Error 21 (net::ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED): A network change was detected" a lot?

Reloading the page tends to just, load the page as normal, but having to hit refresh 2-3 sometimes to get pages load is kind of annoying, may have to go to the stable channel until this is resolved.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Work is switching me from a windows 7 machine to a mac tomorrow and I want to copy my chrome user data/passwords and such. Ive done it on windows copying the appdata folder, can I do the same sort of thing on a mac? Where would that be located?

I am not familiar with macs in the slightest.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
So google chrome in windows 8 takes about 20% CPU to load flash-heavy pages, and completely locks up on them for almost 30 seconds. This only started a couple of weeks ago, and no matter which version I use (beta/non beta) it does the same thing. I've upgraded video drivers, etc.. flash.. whatever. I've disabled one or both of the two flash plugins.. Nothing does anything. This is version 26.0.1410.28 beta-m, but I have tried non-beta, and several versions of both, and same problem.

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Just had a problem start today with my extensions. If I left-click on an extension icon, rather than opening the extension's menu it opens a small blank window:

(I've clicked on LastPass, the red icon with a star in it, here)

This happens with every extension that has a left-click menu, on stable, beta, and dev channels. I haven't tried Canary. Reinstalling extensions doesn't help. Running Windows 8 x64. Any ideas?

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 7, 2013