Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

goferchan posted:

Whoa and a King Cashing sequel, huh. I remember the original got some love in this thread back in the day.

Within the first 5 minutes the purchase was worth it, this is a far better game than the first.

Raveyyy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The Ascension Online Kickstarter is ending soon - I only mention this because I had no idea it existed before I got an email because I backed Solforge. So anyone who likes Ascension should probably take a look, I suppose.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

The Royal Scrub posted:

I'm looking for a game somewhere in between Knights of Pen and Paper and stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics. I love KoP&P's pace and that there's not much filler, but I wish there was more customization and strategy. FFT is really excellent. It has the depth, but battles can take way too long just to whack 4 monsters 3 times each, and then plus the story it just feels really slow to me. I'll probably knock FFT out in big chunks when I end up travelling or something, but is there anything else out there? It doesn't have to be grid-based.

Basically, is there a turn-based analog to Battleheart?

edit: I need to check out West Legends too. I love Battleheart :downs:

LostStar Tactics was pretty fun and definitely fits in the gap between FFT and KoP&P.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

whydirt posted:

LostStar Tactics was pretty fun and definitely fits in the gap between FFT and KoP&P.

Tactical Warrior, too. The games look gutter as gently caress, but they've got some great gameplay beneath the graphics.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/tactical-warrior-lite
http://www.appshopper.com/games/tactical-warrior

http://www.appshopper.com/games/loststar-tactics-lite
http://www.appshopper.com/games/loststar-tactics

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
http://www.appshopper.com/games/towelfight-2-the-monocle-of-destiny

:siren: ALERT: ACTUALLY WORTH GETTING :siren:

It's pretty blatantly inspired by Binding of Isaac, with three annoyances:

1. I wish it was drag-anywhere to move/shoot rather than virtual D-pads.

2. Instead of being randomly generated with permadeath, it's just one really big (and a little bland) map. Closer to the original Zelda really. But I mean, if you're going to crib from Binding of Isaac, seems like it's kind of missing the point to not have things be randomized/replayable.

3. So much cutesy poo poo on screen that it's really impossible to see anything. You can work through this, but still annoying and really unnecessary.

Also memes *and* videogame references out the rear end. But all pretty forgivable. It's 99 cents and they obviously put some effort into it. Meaty game, lots of messing around with unlocks that change how you attack. They did a pretty good job of revamping the BoI stuff into a game where you can't die and eventually get every bit of equipment.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've never played Zen Pinball, but the first few Star Wars tables came out and I'm having fun. :shobon:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

I would never have bought this game unless I liked your games so hopefully it is a good game or else I will maybe not buy your games as much later? I hope it is a good game! to play

Edit: This is immediately much better than it looks in screenshots

Double edit: it is weird that the I<3TF2 shirt mentions joey jojo jr... I'm sure that was someone other that my old TF2 name... O_O must be but still weird! (my old name had an additional shabadoo in it) good game though

Mozi fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 28, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kepa posted:

http://www.appshopper.com/games/towelfight-2-the-monocle-of-destiny

:siren: ALERT: ACTUALLY WORTH GETTING :siren:

It's pretty blatantly inspired by Binding of Isaac, with three annoyances:

1. I wish it was drag-anywhere to move/shoot rather than virtual D-pads.

2. Instead of being randomly generated with permadeath, it's just one really big (and a little bland) map. Closer to the original Zelda really. But I mean, if you're going to crib from Binding of Isaac, seems like it's kind of missing the point to not have things be randomized/replayable.

3. So much cutesy poo poo on screen that it's really impossible to see anything. You can work through this, but still annoying and really unnecessary.

Also memes *and* videogame references out the rear end. But all pretty forgivable. It's 99 cents and they obviously put some effort into it. Meaty game, lots of messing around with unlocks that change how you attack. They did a pretty good job of revamping the BoI stuff into a game where you can't die and eventually get every bit of equipment.

Is it something with my iPhone 5, or does this seriously only work in portrait?

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

Bummey posted:

Anyway. Hey Zagrod, it's kind of only a little tedious having to tap a screen full of exclamation points to collect all the bonus tools and resources.

Is there any way you can make that less so?

I can ask if we're going to do anything like that

The Hebug posted:

Seeing an update for Puzzlecraft made my morning. That said, I've built my museum behind my mill and I can only manage to hit the button to enter it and view collections if I first go into my castle and exit. Maybe I put it in a bad spot, but otherwise I'll only be able to click and see the timer for my mill.

Huh. Thanks for the report, I'll take a look at it.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So you have to draw lines through trees/grass just to make time pass too, eh?

Yea... we've kinda dropped the ball on that. Hopefully we won't make that kind of mistake next game

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kaizoku posted:

It's an amazing game with the most ridiculous controls ever. Seriously, it's made for babies? Little baby fingers!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zagrod posted:

Yea... we've kinda dropped the ball on that. Hopefully we won't make that kind of mistake next game
Did you guys ever do anything for the people who lost their progression data? I was addicted to Puzzlecraft until that happened and pretty much used it as an opportunity to quit cold turkey.
(BTW I was appreciative of how overly broken the game got when you upgraded enough. I feel like more games need to become unbalanced in the player's favor after a certain amount of playtime.)

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Mozi posted:

The Ascension Online Kickstarter is ending soon - I only mention this because I had no idea it existed before I got an email because I backed Solforge. So anyone who likes Ascension should probably take a look, I suppose.

As this is an iOS thread, it should probably be noted here that this KS is only for Android and PC versions of the new platform. StoneBlade are currently still in negotiations with Playdek over the fate of the iOS version of Ascension, and there's still a chance that the new platform they're kickstarting will never be accessible to iOS devices. I'm personally not backing this campaign even though I will definitely buy into it later if they manage to bring the iOS app over to it.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski
As mentioned before, Loststar Tactics is a great game and arguably more challenging than FFT. The expansion is absolutely worth the money, too.

Even though King Cashing 2 is a little expensive, I've never purchased a game this fast, I loved the first one (got that for free though). Hopefully this is worth 2,69€!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've never played Zen Pinball, but the first few Star Wars tables came out and I'm having fun. :shobon:

I didn't need this money anyway.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I just checked out LostStar and TacticalWarrior. They're definitely what I was looking for so I'm glad I posted. The graphics aren't even that bad stretched out to 2x, especially considering they were made by one guy.

Thanks!

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

Kaizoku posted:

They mention in the app description that there is a bug for iPhone 5 that locks orientation to portrait mode. They already have a fix in place, waiting for approval by Apple.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Did you guys ever do anything for the people who lost their progression data? I was addicted to Puzzlecraft until that happened and pretty much used it as an opportunity to quit cold turkey.

(BTW I was appreciative of how overly broken the game got when you upgraded enough. I feel like more games need to become unbalanced in the player's favor after a certain amount of playtime.)

I lost my progress four times due to that bug and still kept coming back for more. I have a problem.

I kind of liked that too but it introduced too many problems, especially in the mine. I can't get more than one steel unit per run. A lot of resources just don't show up as often when you're deep into the upgrades. I don't know if I'll even be able to place another building without buying coins and getting all my steel through the market.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Doubt you'd need to buy coins, I'd do runs for easier resources, sell those, and buy whatever I actually needed through the market.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Downloaded Simpsons Tapout for my daughter after you guys gush about it regularly.

Now it's downloading update 1 of 74, and it's about 50 megs. If that's an average, I've got what, 3-4 Gigs of updating!?!?!

Screw it, she can play a different game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
It's 50 megs total, not per chunk, but it does download that much pretty regularly. I have no idea why the updates are that size.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Especially when the updates don't seem to do anything? At least not to me. Unless they're preloading content for the post-Valentine's day event, where it'll pop up tomorrow with no updating required.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Omigodomigodomigod Real Racing 3 is out!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Omigodomigodomigod Real Racing 3 is out!

Oh, you mean the totally shameless, egregious, cash grabbing sequel? Pass.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't that have timers?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

When did EA get the rights to Real Racing?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Yes it does. It's slow starting (although not as slow as when it soft launched with repairs and servicing three times longer than they are now!) and stays that way until you have at least three or so cars to be cracking on with.

I ended up deleting it yesterday, not just for the f2p stuff but the general gameplay mechanics annoyed me eventually. You always start at the back so every race is a crashem smashem charge to as close to the front as possible before you realise that unless you had bought the top car from the tier anyway the leader(s) are usually way too far ahead to be caught in your maxxed out Focus shitbox etc.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

King Cashing 2 is pretty great. I mean, if you didn't like the first you won't like this one either, but I'd say it improves on the first. You've got a bunch of different zombies, but they're more varied than the units from the first. Necromancer seems the best so far.

Story has a few funny bits. Everyone is pretty rude to the king. Hey! You either buy something or you go back to your stinky grave!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

empty baggie posted:

When did EA get the rights to Real Racing?

They bought FireMint back in 2011. They also made the new Need For Speed: Most Wanted iOS game which was pretty decent for a game I got for free :shobon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fazana posted:

Yes it does. It's slow starting (although not as slow as when it soft launched with repairs and servicing three times longer than they are now!) and stays that way until you have at least three or so cars to be cracking on with.

I ended up deleting it yesterday, not just for the f2p stuff but the general gameplay mechanics annoyed me eventually. You always start at the back so every race is a crashem smashem charge to as close to the front as possible before you realise that unless you had bought the top car from the tier anyway the leader(s) are usually way too far ahead to be caught in your maxxed out Focus shitbox etc.

I did like that article that averaged out your earnings per race, timers, and estimated it would take you about 500 hours to 100% the game and that's not just for earning enough money to buy all the cars to finish all the races. Or you can drop about $500 to unlock everything.

Or you can buy a 360, grab the latest Forza, buy ALL the DLC and end up paying less than RR3.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's an amazing game with the most ridiculous controls ever. Seriously, it's made for babies? Little baby fingers!

Yeah I like the game but those controls are rough on my phone. Hope they change them around at some point.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Welp, I played it for about two hours. I really wanted to like it and not believe what you guys are saying about it, but I can't.

Real Racing 3 is just the worst. It is the antithesis of everything that made RR2 fun. The waiting and prices are outrageous. I feel insulted that they would even include an option to spend $100 (wtf?) of your real-life money on virtual currency.

I think I'll write a negative (but constructive) review and go back to RR2 multiplayer then delete this piece of poo poo.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

McDragon posted:

King Cashing 2 is pretty great. I mean, if you didn't like the first you won't like this one either, but I'd say it improves on the first. You've got a bunch of different zombies, but they're more varied than the units from the first. Necromancer seems the best so far.

Story has a few funny bits. Everyone is pretty rude to the king. Hey! You either buy something or you go back to your stinky grave!

I had a blast playing it, just like the prequel it's pretty short though and it took me about 3 hours to 100% the game. Maxed out Cyborgette with robot master helmet and some decent luck wrecked the last boss in a few turns on my first try, getting a gold medal on the last boss in the first game was actually hard iirc. Necro is really good also, didn't have enough skill points to do 3 characters so I abandoned the Tamer and focused on Luck, Cyborg & Necro which worked out alright.

What I dislike about KC2 off the top of my head: no hard extra bosses anymore, enemies drop shop items only which means much less item variety, farming enemies with +exp/gold/drop items has become worthless

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I actually don't mind the timers because I play a race or two at a time between work tasks and other things. But I could see how it could piss other people off.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat

heiden posted:

I had a blast playing it, just like the prequel it's pretty short though and it took me about 3 hours to 100% the game. Maxed out Cyborgette with robot master helmet and some decent luck wrecked the last boss in a few turns on my first try, getting a gold medal on the last boss in the first game was actually hard iirc. Necro is really good also, didn't have enough skill points to do 3 characters so I abandoned the Tamer and focused on Luck, Cyborg & Necro which worked out alright.

What I dislike about KC2 off the top of my head: no hard extra bosses anymore, enemies drop shop items only which means much less item variety, farming enemies with +exp/gold/drop items has become worthless

Did you beat the secret guy in chapter 3? Guy resists everything, has 700 life, kills off your zombies and you cant use cherries. Kinda BS.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

I actually don't mind the timers because I play a race or two at a time between work tasks and other things. But I could see how it could piss other people off.

I guess, but there are times when one might want to play the game and can't because the game's pay walls prevent them from playing. Say you're waiting in line for take away and want to do a race or two, but can't because your car still has six hours left on the repair because you played earlier that day?

It doesn't really matter, we're not the target audience for these games anyway. They don't have to cater to us because we don't matter. The 1% of people who dump real money into virtual currency are the only consumers they have to care about.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 28, 2013

radge
Jan 21, 2005

I don't think RR3 is that bad. I've got 100% on about 5 categories without spending a penny.

Considering someone bought me a Tiny Tower custom title for criticising NimbleBit games for releasing IAP ridden dross, it must be OK if I don't mind it.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Wait, you got that title for bitching about the IAP in NimbleBit games? I thought it was for calling them not games. The latter is certainly debatable, but the former is pretty fairly done. I've played all the NimbleBit games for 10 hours or more each without ever buying a single bux (sorry, Marsh dudes).

edit: Confirmed, I was not misremembering the situation.

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 28, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah that's not quite how it went down, but whatever you gotta tell yourself.

Me, I haven't even gotten to my free copy of NFS:MW for iOS so I expect to let Real Racing 3 sit on the back burner for approximately forever before I even think about giving it a shot. I expect by then the pro min/max strategies for making the most out of your time and/or IAP will be pretty concrete.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here
Zagrod, I dunno if its been mentioned yet (maybe it's just me) but after the new update the game crashes at the AtGames logo every time. This is on an iPad 2 running iOS 6.1.2.

My lines... nooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Beelzebozo posted:

Wait, you got that title for bitching about the IAP in NimbleBit games? I thought it was for calling them not games. The latter is certainly debatable, but the former is pretty fairly done. I've played all the NimbleBit games for 10 hours or more each without ever buying a single bux (sorry, Marsh dudes).

edit: Confirmed, I was not misremembering the situation.

Well, I guess by saying they weren't games I meant they were just a treadmill designed to get you to buy IAP. Real Racing is actually enjoyable to play and the IAP mechanic isn't even limiting once you have a few cars.

• Locked thread