Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm getting a hankering to tool around in Rome: Total War again, even though I still have Shogun 2 to play through (kinda waiting on a better computer for it though). In the past I played it vanilla and then added in Darthmod (those loading screens :negative:), are there recommended mods for it now, especially if I am NOT interested in spergy historical accuracy that trumps gameplay/fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Panzeh posted:

Explain to me these small amazing studios who were making good diplomatic and strategic AI.

It's easier to list games so: MooII, the HoMM series, Civilization 2, Alpha Centauri, Age of Wonders, Paradox games, I'm sure there's others I can't think of at the moment. No the AI wasn't "amazing" in these games and in pretty much every case the computer would occasionally do something pretty stupid, but they were on average a lot better than the Total War AI. There's very basic stuff missing in the Total war strategic and diplomatic AI like "did I ally with the player/another computer last round" or "should I demand half the players kingdom in a peace deal when I'm a one city state with no military remaining". Like I said though they seem to have decently improved the AI for Shogun2 so it at least appears reasonable (which is all you can expect of AI).

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
If we are talking about pre Shogun 2 AI in the Total War series than I agree that it has historically been really bad (Although it was decent in Medieval 1).

One entertaining thing I note is that all of the games you listed are turn based with manageable grid sizes and raw data calcs, something computers are very good at. You will notice that their requirements and limitations have a lot in similar with Medieval 1 and Shogun 1, both of which had reasonable strategic AI (alright, not so much Shogun 1).

It's no coincidence that as game worlds have become more complicated (3D maps/open fields, soft counters instead of hard counters, expected transparency) that AI has become "worse".

Although to be honest, most of the old AI's cheat, usually with the ability to see the entire world at once so they make moderately intelligent decisions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I want to try Rome Total War again after getting on a History of Rome podcast kick, and I was wondering if there were any recommended mods for it?

I'm mostly looking for stuff that adds maybe better graphics, or adds stuff but isn't too complicated - I tried Europa Barbarorum before and just drowned in all the options.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I want to try Rome Total War again after getting on a History of Rome podcast kick, and I was wondering if there were any recommended mods for it?

I'm mostly looking for stuff that adds maybe better graphics, or adds stuff but isn't too complicated - I tried Europa Barbarorum before and just drowned in all the options.

Roma Surrectum or Terrae Expugnandae. I haven't tried the former so it may well be miles better than Terrae Expugnandae, but Terrae Expugnandae is still really good.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know why I can't install Medieval 2 total war on steam at work? All my other steam games including empire and shogun install ok, but when I try to installed Medieval 2 or Kingdoms it gives me an error saying "content servers unreachable" :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

concerned mom posted:

Does anyone know why I can't install Medieval 2 total war on steam at work? All my other steam games including empire and shogun install ok, but when I try to installed Medieval 2 or Kingdoms it gives me an error saying "content servers unreachable" :(

If this error comes up when you are trying to play, restart STEAM and try again. You need to do that with older games for some reason.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

If this error comes up when you are trying to play, restart STEAM and try again. You need to do that with older games for some reason.

Sadly it's not play but install in the first place. I tried ages ago to bring in all the downloaded files from home and put them in my steam folder and it still didn't work. I want to play at work! :(

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

concerned mom posted:

Sadly it's not play but install in the first place. I tried ages ago to bring in all the downloaded files from home and put them in my steam folder and it still didn't work. I want to play at work! :(

Not all games are on every steam server, so it may not be able to reach your local steam server with those older files. Try changing your region in the Steam settings so it tries a different content server and hopefully you will reach one that works. Your work may be dropping packets from the local specific steam server and that's causing the issue.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Let's bump this thread back to the front page with some delicous footage from the newest Rome II Total War trailer. The Battle of Teutoberg Forest. Check out dat spear throw, god drat I hope units can actually act like this in close combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fqb3cPPfuM

At this point though this trailer is not enough to satisfy me. I need to know who the last two factions are, unghh.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
That is a pretty neat trailer, I like how the Roman units have both Lorica Hamata and Segmentata.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Man they are loving the Teutenborgen forest thing aren't they. I kind of feel the same way about it I do about 1066. I have taken the side of the losing side despite having no real connection with them! Awesome video though it's looking amazing.

I think one of the factions HAS to be Egypt surely.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
"Jermaynia". Yeuch.

Otherwise, definitely loving the rolling fireballs. Wonder if their inclusion as a setpiece in that trailer means anything for the actual game (whether for the Historic Battle of Teutoburg Forest which I assume they'll be including or as a generic equipment piece/unit ability). Or it could just be in there to look sweet, I'm fine with that too.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the last two factions will be Egypt and Parthia.

As for the fireballs I imagine that you get to build them if you set your army to ambush mode.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

concerned mom posted:

Man they are loving the Teutenborgen forest thing aren't they. I kind of feel the same way about it I do about 1066. I have taken the side of the losing side despite having no real connection with them! Awesome video though it's looking amazing.

I think one of the factions HAS to be Egypt surely.

Gonna get historical :spergin: all up in here but Hastings should by all rights have been an English victory; the only reason it wasn't is because Harold was so demoralized/tired that he didn't lead a single charge. There were several opportunities where they could have utterly shattered the Normans.

And they're probably highlighting this and the Carthage battle because those are the only things they really have polished at this point.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Koramei posted:

Gonna get historical :spergin: all up in here but Hastings should by all rights have been an English victory; the only reason it wasn't is because Harold was so demoralized/tired that he didn't lead a single charge. There were several opportunities where they could have utterly shattered the Normans.

I dunno, William invaded when he did to take advantage of Harold being in York and tired from rushing up there to defeat Harald Hardrada. It wasn't all luck on William's part.

Plus as the Bayeux Tapestry clearly shows, Harold, of his own free will, swore upon two holy relics while shipwrecked in Normandy that William, Duke of Normandy, was the rightful King of England.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I dunno, William invaded when he did to take advantage of Harold being in York and tired from rushing up there to defeat Harald Hardrada. It wasn't all luck on William's part.

Plus as the Bayeux Tapestry clearly shows, Harold, of his own free will, swore upon two holy relics while shipwrecked in Normandy that William, Duke of Normandy, was the rightful King of England.

Huh I thought William setting sail at that point was much more down to chance; it was one of only a few opportunities he'd had for months, and for most of that time Harold's levies had been lining the entire southern coast of Britain. I haven't read about it in a while though so I could be wrong.

You're definitely right on the second point though, that's some serious proof right there. And let's not forget that God himself was behind William's ascent to the throne; after all, why else would he grant him a Papal standard.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Otherwise, definitely loving the rolling fireballs. Wonder if their inclusion as a setpiece in that trailer means anything for the actual game (whether for the Historic Battle of Teutoburg Forest which I assume they'll be including or as a generic equipment piece/unit ability). Or it could just be in there to look sweet, I'm fine with that too.

It's a reference to the film "Centurion". The actual battle didn't have them (they're only good for scaring people, and Romans wouldn't give a poo poo). It might be in the game though, since CA is pretty willing to get ahistorical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zba6lg1Z9Y

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012
I know I'm going to sound stupid but in Rome is there a button to put your soldiers into a turtle formation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tyack posted:

I know I'm going to sound stupid but in Rome is there a button to put your soldiers into a turtle formation.

It's called "form testudo" I think, in the same place as loose formation and fire arrows and so on, but it's only available for legionaries that you get post-Marian reforms.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of ahistorical, aren't Rome 2 and Shogun 2 built on the same engine? I'd kill for a silly Japan vs. Rome mod.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
There was an unbearded German in that video. Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

There was an unbearded German in that video. Immersion ruined. :colbert:

Not everyone has genes to grow a proper beard. :smith:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
And we call them "girls"

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I hope they bring back burning pigs and arcani.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Who says they didn't put pigs inside the fireballs?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Boot up Rome and do an all-pig vs. all-elephant battle. It's fuckin' hilarious.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

GruntyThrst posted:

WARDOGS! An army of nothing but those was hilarious. I trolled many a sperg with those in MP.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

shalcar posted:

Not all games are on every steam server, so it may not be able to reach your local steam server with those older files. Try changing your region in the Steam settings so it tries a different content server and hopefully you will reach one that works. Your work may be dropping packets from the local specific steam server and that's causing the issue.

I think this actually worked! Thanks man!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MadJackMcJack posted:

WARDOGS! An army of nothing but those was hilarious. I trolled many a sperg with those in MP.

Oh man, were these the ones where soldiers would attack and kill the handlers but not actually fight the dogs, who were free to just hurtle around the battlefield slowly killing the enemy soldiers who wouldn't strike back?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I loving loved wardog units. drat.
I need to reinstall...

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man, were these the ones where soldiers would attack and kill the handlers but not actually fight the dogs, who were free to just hurtle around the battlefield slowly killing the enemy soldiers who wouldn't strike back?

The enemy would strike back, and indeed elite troops would have little to fear from them. But they would murder the poo poo out of low-and-medium quality troops and in campaign any dogs killed would be replaced after the battle (not the handlers though), so they were perfect for clearing out the swarms of bandit armies that Rome had. Plus in sieges in low-level towns you could break open the gates, send in the dogs, and sit back and let them slaughter the defenders :black101:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
If I can't troll sperglords in multiplayer with armies composed entirely of wardogs, berserkers and screeching women I won't buy the game :colbert: .

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want it so that when war dog units get their armour or weapons upgraded, the dogs get the upgrades, not the handlers. Yes, I want dogs wearing chainmail and claw gauntlets.

And berserkers to become even more swole when they get armour upgrades.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

I want it so that when war dog units get their armour or weapons upgraded, the dogs get the upgrades, not the handlers. Yes, I want dogs wearing chainmail and claw gauntlets.

Or better yet, change the type of dog, with low-level dogs being Jack Russells and Terriers and high-level dogs being Bull Mastiffs and Pitbulls.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

The Berserkers should get more chest hair from armour upgrades.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just installed The Third Age. It's well sweet! Got ambushed on my 2nd turn by a 7-star bandit general so I think it's going to be pretty tough but a spergy game like that is never going to be easy is it?

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

One of the last battles in my most recent campaigns was a Brutii army consisting of like 15 wardog units.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Or better yet, change the type of dog, with low-level dogs being Jack Russells and Terriers and high-level dogs being Bull Mastiffs and Pitbulls.

First level should be pomeranians and instead of killing should be cuddle attacks.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 1, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Azran posted:

It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

You have to do this weird thing where you delete one of the kingdoms campaigns and replace it with Stainless Steel.