Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Kluliss posted:

I have random bruises all over my left eye and a semi-circular bruise on my right - they're going away quite fast though, 3 days in and I'd say they're only half as prominent as on the day, so I suspect you should heal up in less than a month? (it is only bruising, you wouldn't necessarily expect to have a bruise a month after bashing your leg...would you?)

It's been a week and a couple days now, and it's still about 80% as strong as the day of surgery. At my one week checkup, they said it would take at least another 2 or so weeks. I guess it's just a stronger bruise or something.

Other than that, my eyes are great. Better than 20/20 vision and not really dry at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
2 weeks since the surgery and my eyesight is still better than 20/20, the itching and dryness is mostly gone, the bruises are almost cleared up and the only thing I have now is a pain at the front of my eye if I squeeze my eyes shut too tightly.

Cannot stress enough how amazing it is to be able to see after 25 years of glasses.

I do recommend telling the surgeon to re-do the numbing drops on whichever eye is second though especially if you take a minute between eyes (I needed a moment to come to terms with the fact that I'd just had a laser beam burning my eye away) - so my left eye was...not entirely numb all the way when it got lasered, and that was quite a painful 20 seconds of my life which if you can avoid, you really should.

Moral of the story: don't be afraid to tell your surgeon you want more pain relief.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 28, 2012

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Beep Street posted:

It could be that you were adrenalined up duing the first eye but as you took a minute to recover that calaser you down a bit so you felt it more the second time around.

Overuse of numbing drops can cause corneal damage so probably for the best they weren't pouring buckets of the stuff in your eyes.

Could very well be the case, not sure how much I calmed down though!

edit: has anyone else noticed a reduction in travel sickness after having laser eye surgery?

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 10, 2012

cefyr
Sep 10, 2012
I had PRK about a year and a half ago paid for by uncle Sam and would do it again in a heartbeat.
from bottle glass BCGs to 20/13 ( I think I got that backwards for some reason)
so a lot better than 20/20.

Surgery was painless but it does feel weird as for recovery; it feels like you have sand in your eye lids... not painful after a day or so ( you should be taking some pretty string stuff anyways) but still feels like grit that wont go away.

As for night sight, I personally had issues with my night sight for at least 2 months but it slowly got back.

With that said you should be very photo sensitive for at least a month, and should wear sunglasses whenever out for 4 months.

Another very big thing is the eye drops, make sure you use them A LOT. and don't miss your medicated ones. the more you put out the first month or so the better the healing goes and thus the better sight you will end up with.

If any of you have any questions with regards to PRK in the military I can tell you the way its done in the USMC and at tripler army medical, just send me a pm or something

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm thinking of getting laser eye surgery, though I've seen conflicting information on the internet about a few things. I think my pupils are quite large; my girlfriend has commented on it several times when we're in low light, and I find that on bright days I squint a fair bit as everything is too bright. Some websites say to avoid surgery as having large pupils can cause halos or starbursts. However on the londonvisionclinic website they say they can get around this by mapping the eye using wavefront technology.

Also, any recommendations for London (UK)-based places? Optical Express seem so much cheaper than the london vision clinic, which makes me a bit suspicious. I don't mind paying more if I'm guaranteed a better outcome.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm thinking of getting laser eye surgery, though I've seen conflicting information on the internet about a few things. I think my pupils are quite large; my girlfriend has commented on it several times when we're in low light, and I find that on bright days I squint a fair bit as everything is too bright. Some websites say to avoid surgery as having large pupils can cause halos or starbursts However on the londonvisionclinic website they say can get around this by mapping the eye using wavefront technology.

Also, any recommendations for London (UK)-based places? Optical Express seem so much cheaper than the london vision clinic, which makes me a bit suspicious. I don't mind paying more if I'm guaranteed a better outcome.

Wavefront is more expensive but gets really good results, I have fairly large pupils, had the surgery with wavefront and honestly, the halos aren't that bad, the months down the line. I used optical echoes up in Newcastle and I know their surgeons work all found the country.

Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~

Lady Gaza posted:

I'm thinking of getting laser eye surgery, though I've seen conflicting information on the internet about a few things. I think my pupils are quite large; my girlfriend has commented on it several times when we're in low light, and I find that on bright days I squint a fair bit as everything is too bright. Some websites say to avoid surgery as having large pupils can cause halos or starbursts. However on the londonvisionclinic website they say they can get around this by mapping the eye using wavefront technology.

I appreciate I'm replying a little over a month after you posted, but the most likely reason optical express seems so cheap was because they advertise the cost of bog-standard laser eye treatment, I think currently that's £395 per eye? Anyway, I'm getting wavefront treatment with optical express in two days, and the total cost of my treatment is going to be around £3,500 for both of my eyes, which is far from cheap as far as I know.

Kluliss posted:

Wavefront is more expensive but gets really good results, I have fairly large pupils, had the surgery with wavefront and honestly, the halos aren't that bad, the months down the line. I used optical echoes up in Newcastle and I know their surgeons work all found the country.

Hey sweet, another Newcastle goon.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 28, 2012

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Two Piece posted:

I appreciate I'm replying a little over a month after you posted, but the most likely reason optical express seems so cheap was because they advertise the cost of bog-standard laser eye treatment, I think currently that's £395 per eye? Anyway, I'm getting wavefront treatment with optical express in two days, and the total cost of my treatment is going to be around £3,500 for both of my eyes, which is far from cheap as far as I know.

Hello! That makes 3 of us that I officially know of :D

And Optical Express (which is what I *meant* to type) do the dirt cheap options but they're only applicable if you have like +/- 1 prescription, at which point is laser eye surgery really that necessary (especially if you want bladeless wavefront which would be expensive regardless?)

Mine was £2800 for wavefront fancy-pants surgery with a prescription of -2.25 and -2.75 left/right respectively. So if you have less to be done than that, it'll be cheaper, more, it'll be more. Honestly, I am happy enough with that cost given that for the rest of my life I am unlikely to need glasses for distance vision, and the reading side of it is settling down nicely after 4 months so I'm not using my reading glasses as much now.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Fellow PRK Goons, did any of you need touch-up surgery later on within the first year? My left eye was briefly at 20/20 and now is 20/25. My right eye was also 20/20 for a bit, but the vision became blurry after a couple of months. I don't know if the epithelium can grow back wrong and cause this issue or if it usually means another visit with the excimer laser.

I'm going in for my six-month check-up in January. Just wondering if this is common and what I can expect if the vision doesn't correct itself (guessing it won't at this stage).

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Kluliss posted:

Mine was £2800 for wavefront fancy-pants surgery with a prescription of -2.25 and -2.75 left/right respectively. So if you have less to be done than that, it'll be cheaper, more, it'll be more. Honestly, I am happy enough with that cost given that for the rest of my life I am unlikely to need glasses for distance vision, and the reading side of it is settling down nicely after 4 months so I'm not using my reading glasses as much now.
The cost isn't just judged by the sphere of your prescription it is also the cylinder (astigmatism). So one person could be -1 sphere and pay the starting price yet another person could be -1 with a massive astigmatism which only wavefront mapping can sort so they have to pay more. Also if you have thin corneas you'd need lasek (ouch) or Intralase (more costly).

ibntumart posted:

Fellow PRK Goons, did any of you need touch-up surgery later on within the first year? My left eye was briefly at 20/20 and now is 20/25. My right eye was also 20/20 for a bit, but the vision became blurry after a couple of months. I don't know if the epithelium can grow back wrong and cause this issue or if it usually means another visit with the excimer laser.
I'm going in for my six-month check-up in January. Just wondering if this is common and what I can expect if the vision doesn't correct itself (guessing it won't at this stage).
I've not had PRK aka Lasek but I work in the industry. It isn't possible for the epithelial to grow back wrong. What has probably happened is your eyes are developing a new prescription. This happens to a small percentage of people and is nothing to panic about. You will be advised at your check if they'll do it again shortly or you may need to wait for your eyes to stabilise before they'll touch it up for you.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Beep Street posted:

I've not had PRK aka Lasek but I work in the industry. It isn't possible for the epithelial to grow back wrong. What has probably happened is your eyes are developing a new prescription. This happens to a small percentage of people and is nothing to panic about. You will be advised at your check if they'll do it again shortly or you may need to wait for your eyes to stabilise before they'll touch it up for you.

Thanks, that has made me a bit more relieved!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My doctor said I was not eligible for LASIK or PRK because my left cornea was too thin and fragile or something. The right eye is OK, but when he tried to touch it with his probe I couldn't suppress my wince reflex, and he told me I couldn't be operated on.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

My doctor said I was not eligible for LASIK or PRK because my left cornea was too thin and fragile or something. The right eye is OK, but when he tried to touch it with his probe I couldn't suppress my wince reflex, and he told me I couldn't be operated on.
There is a small chance that another place could do it if they have more advanced lasers than the doctor you just went to. The place I work has shithot technology and we get to treat lots of patients that were deemed unsuitable by other companies.

Also you could possibly get phakic intraocular lens if you're under 40. It's a permanent lens placed in your eye so rather than tissue being removed from your very thin cornea a lens is simply placed on top.

DJ_Ferret
May 1, 2006

The living pipe cleaner
I went ~5 months ago to see whether I qualify or have anything I should look out for, and the only thing that has prevented me from getting the surgery is my goddamn job. I am a temp contractor at Amazon and don't make enough money to really pay outright. I am however interviewing for big kid jobs at Amazon which come along with a generous signing bonus, and that's going right into my credit card and into getting me laser eyes.

For the PRK goons, how long were you actually down? As in, if I got this procedure on a Friday afternoon, how far into the week would it be before could see well enough to send/receive emails and do general computer work?

I am planning on getting my procedure (Custom/Wavefront PRK) done at King Lasik in Renton WA, because the primary practitioner and the guy who does all the Custom PRK procedures is the official Lasik provider for the Vancouver Canucks, and if Canadians trust him with their hockey players I can trust him with my eyes.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I had mine done on a Friday and took the next week and a half off. I was able to function after that, but I had to turn on inverse coloring for my monitor screens and bump up the font size on most text for at least two or three weeks after that.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

My doctor said I was not eligible for LASIK or PRK because my left cornea was too thin and fragile or something.
Definitely visit another optometrist for a second opinion. One of my co-workers has a similar condition. All they had to do was a alternate type of procedure and his results and recovery time were exactly the same as a patient with "regular" corneas.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Two Piece posted:

Beep Street posted:

Firstly if you have massive pupils (industry standard is over 7mm) any provider would advise you would HAVE to get Wavefront, you would not be found suitable for bog standard Lasik/Lasek treatment. When you have massive pupils more light gets in hence more halos and glare but Wavefront totally deals with this. Every single provider in the UK has Wavefront technology in their clinics.
Basically the high street providers treat far more people than posho places hence their costs are less. All companies have to adhere to very strict medical standards.

The London Vision Clinic seem to play on peoples fears. If you want to pay double so you can get the surgeons direct mobile number go for it. Bear in mind all providers have a 24 hour phone line for patients that have just had surgery and the technology is doing most of the work rather than a surgeon. Becoming best pals with your surgeon for a ten minute op is totally pointless. Having your surgeons phone number is useless if they live out in some mansion in Surrey, they'd just arrange to see you the following morning anyhow.
You could pay five million pounds for it but at the end of the day it is a surgical procedure so nobody can guarantee anything. More than likely you'll get poo poo hot vision with zero complications but no surgeon would ever give a guarantee to you.

Great information, thanks :) Really thinking of getting it done now, might book a consultatation soon.

Dick Bass
Feb 22, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I had a heavy prescription and thin corneas and several surgeons told me that LASIK was out of the question and PRK was risky.
I had phakic intraocular lenses "installed" in my eyes instead.

I went from a -8.25 in each eye to better than 20/15 in each eye.
Recovery took about as long as drugs used to dilate my eyes during the surgery to wear off. My vision got better as everything settled in over the next few months.

The procedure itself took less than 5 minutes an eye. They pump valium straight into your veins during this procedure to keep you from freaking out as your eye is being cut into. The procedure is no more uncomfortable than getting a contact lens stuck under your eyelid.

If you can't get one of the laser surgeries, get implants. More expensive, but you can't put a loving price on being able to see without glasses or contacts.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
I have been looking into Lasik for quite a while.
Is anyone willing to share what the costs were for theirs? This is the only thing barring me right now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I have an exam with LasikPlus next week to see if I can have it done. What should I be aware of when they try to pitch their services?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

NorskHotDog posted:

Is anyone willing to share what the costs were for theirs? This is the only thing barring me right now.

I had PRK done for $3600ish total. I'm sure Lasik is comparable.

reni89
May 3, 2012

by angerbeet
Will it ever become more affordable?

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

reni89 posted:

Will it ever become more affordable?

I can't imagine a world where it won't. The lasers are so stupidly easy to use, technology continues to improve by leaps and bounds, and I'm pretty sure at some point optometrists will be offering the service as well. As for a time frame, I couldn't tell you.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
My wife and I are hoping to undergo LASIK. Our Optometrist recommended going to either the Bochner Eye Institute or TLC Laser Eye Centres. I asked her which one she'd recommend, and she said they're both fine places to go to.

Does anyone have experiences to share with either place? What should I be looking for when choosing one over the other? Help me not gently caress up my eyeballs.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Going in to get PRK on Monday morning. Pretty nervous about it, as I'm pretty skittish about things and my eyeballs. I've got a bunch of audiobooks to get me through the boring.

I will pop in after my surgery with an update if possible.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

One of the best parts about PRK (aside from getting peripheral vision and not needing glasses) is getting to say this with some legitimacy.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

NorskHotDog posted:

I did Waveform scan LASIK a few weeks ago and it was $3898.

The Rat posted:

One of the best parts about PRK (aside from getting peripheral vision and not needing glasses) is getting to say this with some legitimacy.

I did ask for this. :frogc00l:

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Is the halo complication permanent? I got mine over a year ago and still have a bit of halos at night. Since it's been this long, it probably won't change, right?

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Checking back in. I got PRK on January 28th and things are pretty awesome! The only thing is sometimes when I'm looking at my computer screen the words will focus in and out like someone was trying to focus my eyesight like a camera. Other than that I'm loving it. I can see so much better now!

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008
I've been thinking about getting some eye surgery done. My classes are only -0.75 on one eye and -1.00 on the other. I mainly use them to watch tv, looking presentations in meetings from a projector or when driving a car (I could legally drive a car without but it's a pain in the rear end when you see all the sings so late), etc. Looking at the pages of the places that do eye surgery in my town I guess I'm most likely getting PRK done on me due to it being recommended when doing small corrections. But i guess once i get in touch with a doctor they will tell me more. You guys think it's a good idea to do this for such a small correction? (I'm most likely getting around half of it paid by my employer so it isn't that expensive for me)

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Maximusi posted:

Is the halo complication permanent? I got mine over a year ago and still have a bit of halos at night. Since it's been this long, it probably won't change, right?

You can find my surgery stories in the annals of this thread. 2009ish? Too lazy to check.

Anyway, I got LASEK, and noticeable haloing lasted for over a year after that, but by the 3 year mark they weren't even really noticeable anymore. I can make halos appear if I deliberately look into a bright light at night, but to be honest I'm not even sure that wasn't there before.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has any experienced having to get a surgery again a long time after the original one?

The place I had it done at would do any touch up work if you prove you had your eyes examined for general health and the eyesight. I did it for the first year, but I didn't go after that.

The original surgery was PRK. Now I'm in my early 30s

Now it's 5-6 years after the surgery and I am starting to find I am having more difficulties focusing on road signs. I could see for a long way after the surgery, but it's reduced now. Now, I am not all of the sudden blind but I swear I could read signs that far away a couple years back.

The doctor said that I would get the normal aging vision loss that would require the use of reading glasses, but said nothing about loss of farsight.

Going to a doc when I can find the time, but want to know if this is a "thing" for a refresh on the surgery.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Planning on having LASIK done later this month, I just can't decide on what "Vision Care" package to take, if one at all. They come in 1 year, 2 year, 5 year and lifetime increments for free touch-ups, but the lifetime they're contingent on going back every year for a checkup that costs $90 for each appointment after 5 years.

I'm contemplating just paying for the surgery and not getting any touch-up plan because I always think warranties are scams. Am I being an idiot?

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

the last signal... posted:

Planning on having LASIK done later this month, I just can't decide on what "Vision Care" package to take, if one at all. They come in 1 year, 2 year, 5 year and lifetime increments for free touch-ups, but the lifetime they're contingent on going back every year for a checkup that costs $90 for each appointment after 5 years.

I'm contemplating just paying for the surgery and not getting any touch-up plan because I always think warranties are scams. Am I being an idiot?

I would go for the lifetime warranty. I generally think warranties are a waste of money, but that's when talking about a TV or something. These are your eyes for gently caress's sake.

I also got the surgery done at 23, so I have a long time for my eyes to get worse. Maybe if you're older it's not worth it so much.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found
Getting PRK done today. God I hope I get to 20/20 within 2 months!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
So, I came into a windfall lately and decided to get my eyes fixed once and for all. I was looking up various procedures and doctors and so on and it seems like everyone's just trying to sell what they've got. PRK? PTK? Hell if I know.

I've got 20/80 in one eye and 20/100 in the other. I've got about $3,000 set aside to do this right, because my eyes are one thing I don't care to go budget on. Is that enough? Or maybe even too much? I just want a permanent solution so I don't have to wear glasses anymore, and I'm super squeamish about my eyes, so obviously the less invasive the better. As I understand it basically on one actually cuts your eye with a blade anymore, so that's good at least.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
PRK cuts your eyes with a blade. You probably want custom wavefront LASIK, it's more expensive than regular LASIK but it also produces better results. I don't know where you live, but in northern CA it cost about 4,000 and up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well, I can go up to 5K total, but I'd like to keep a bit of it...

And I'm in southern california, which probably isn't much better.

• Locked thread