Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't talk to him that often, he's one of my dad's friends - I think it was either one or two bars already gone.

That is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What is one or two bars out of? 10?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What is one or two bars out of? 10?

12 total, 10 white, 2 red.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

davebo posted:

So you keep her Fit and sell yours? If your main concern is fuel economy and price I'm guessing the driving experience of a manual Fit over and auto is something you could compromise on? Or do you track it or something?

That's a possibility, and one that we're discussing.
My commute to my new job is under 2 miles, I'm gonna bike/walk a lot now.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

As of apparently a week ago, these little badges have been added to the rear bumper to visually differentiate the Model S subtypes:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Keeping a Leaf at full charge in hot temperatures is death to the battery. All the turned in leaf rental cars from hot states are in terrible shape. If you use the timer right or can live with 80% charge you can keep the battery healthy a longer time. That said a 2012 SL for 19K after federal tax credit is a smoking cheap EV. It even has the useless QC port and grocery totes. I regret nothing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

That said a 2012 SL for 19K after federal tax credit is a smoking cheap EV.
More info, please. If its farther back in the thread, I apologize.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I leased but if I bought this was the deal we reached:
MSRP 38,000 ish
Negotiated sales price, 35,000
Dealer incentive cash (8,500)
Tax Credit (7,500) You have to pay this up front and it reduces your income tax liability.
Price after credit $19,000. Sales tax not included.

I leased for 36 months because I was afraid of the battery life, but I really considered buying. Lease is going to cost me $10,126 for 3 years of ownership including the disposition fee. (This includes $1440 worth of sales tax screw you Indiana) Pretty expensive but no gas costs. My state has no incentives for EVs not built in Indiana. I was going to buy a dodge challenger but the gas cost was going to make me cry. You going from a Fit though isn't going to see much cost savings. People on the myleaf forums though are getting zero down leases for $150 a month in tax credit states.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

I leased but if I bought this was the deal we reached:
MSRP 38,000 ish
Negotiated sales price, 35,000
Dealer incentive cash (8,500)
Tax Credit (7,500) You have to pay this up front and it reduces your income tax liability.
Price after credit $19,000. Sales tax not included.

I leased for 36 months because I was afraid of the battery life, but I really considered buying. Lease is going to cost me $10,126 for 3 years of ownership including the disposition fee. (This includes $1440 worth of sales tax screw you Indiana) Pretty expensive but no gas costs. My state has no incentives for EVs not built in Indiana. I was going to buy a dodge challenger but the gas cost was going to make me cry. You going from a Fit though isn't going to see much cost savings. People on the myleaf forums though are getting zero down leases for $150 a month in tax credit states.

Ah. Thanks for the info. There's got to be credits available here in Tax-achusetts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What kind of mileage limits are allowed in the lease? Are there any stipulations on battery condition when the car is returned?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is a 12K per year lease, but the 15K lease is not much more. I never put 12K a year on any car I own, let alone one with limited range. You have to take the battery in once a year for a check, but it is a covered maintenance item, and derogation is also covered under warranty for the term of the lease (and longer not that I care). Lease includes gap coverage so you don't get stuck even though the car is underwater between lease payoff and fair market value the entire term of the lease. I am nerdy so I love the car but I could see how you could hate it. I would say a 20 mile each way or less commute this works for. I wouldn't do more then that but other people do. I do not have chargers at work. I also have several other cars available for non office days. This as a solo car is impossible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't talk to him that often, he's one of my dad's friends - I think it was either one or two bars already gone.

If it's the guy I believe you are talking about, and I think it is, he reported a 15% drop. He's a test engineer, so he kept amazing records of everything about that car.

He also used the charge system suggested for the climate by the Nissan engineers - the 80% referred to by Elephanthead.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 28, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I think you might know him, last I heard he was autocrossing a NC Miata.

Elephanthead: I did the math and lease price + expected electrical consumption (taking advantage of the cheap night-time charging rates) on a Leaf S is surprisingly close to fuel + maintenance on my goddamn Ranger, which has the cheapest parts I've ever seen on a car. It's a tempting proposition, aside from the fact that any degradation like many AZ Leaf owners have seen would mean I couldn't actually commute in it after 24 months.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I would do the 2013 SV for the upgraded charger and carwings. Remote heating is awesome and adds range if it is pluged in when you do it. If you leave the same time every day though it doesn't matter as you can set a timer. You also get navigation which is terrible but does show public charging stations. (Sometimes heh) If you are skirting range though I don't know. Are you assuming charging at work? Even just a regular plug with fill you up in 8 hours unless you drain it dry.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

duz posted:

That is pretty bad.

Depends on the metric, if its actually tied to a linear decrease in capacity (percentage per bar), and tons of other things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

Depends on the metric, if its actually tied to a linear decrease in capacity (percentage per bar), and tons of other things.

It is supposed to be linear, as far as I know.

Elephanthead: I was basing that on not being able to charge at work. If I could charge at work then range anxiety isn't remotely an issue either direction, even with serious degradation of the battery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bumping this because that $199/mo lease has me seriously looking at the Leaf - does anyone have any suggestions on how best to charge an electric car in a driveway? I'm not planning on garaging it if I get it, and I need to figure out if I either need to somehow get HOA / wife approval for a charging station on the outside of the house, or if I can just pass the charge cord under the garage door and close it with the charge station just inside the garage door.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

if I can just pass the charge cord under the garage door and close it with the charge station just inside the garage door.

That's what I do when I'm too lazy to pull it in the garage. The cord is rather long so it's fine. I'm using the included 110v charger.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bumping this because that $199/mo lease has me seriously looking at the Leaf - does anyone have any suggestions on how best to charge an electric car in a driveway? I'm not planning on garaging it if I get it, and I need to figure out if I either need to somehow get HOA / wife approval for a charging station on the outside of the house, or if I can just pass the charge cord under the garage door and close it with the charge station just inside the garage door.

My parents do pretty much what you said with their Volt.

The only thing they did to "class it up" was screw a cord caddy to the wall outside the garage door so the plug/cord aren't just laying on the ground when not plugged in.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

After seven days and a little over five hundred miles, I can say it really is everything advertised. My perspective is obviously skewed, I'll be the first to admit--I've never owned a really high-end car in my life, until now. It's nicer than my house. But drat, does it go when you press the pedal.

It's not without nuisances: there are a grand total of two undersized cupholders; aside from the glove compartment, there's no concealed storage without opening the trunks; the seats don't have adjustable headrests. Stuff like that. But these are all nitpicks, rookie mistakes from a young company, and things one would expect to get ironed out in subsequent model years.

...still don't have my plates.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thwomp posted:

My parents do pretty much what you said with their Volt.

The only thing they did to "class it up" was screw a cord caddy to the wall outside the garage door so the plug/cord aren't just laying on the ground when not plugged in.

duz posted:

That's what I do when I'm too lazy to pull it in the garage. The cord is rather long so it's fine. I'm using the included 110v charger.

Thanks guys; sounds like I'll be going for a Clipper Creek LCS-25 wired up just inside of my garage door, then, and just pop the garage door / pass the charge cable under it / close the garage door. Got a friend/coworker/electrician coming out later in the week to give me an estimate for how much it's going to actually cost to run the circuit.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I see you got the P85 badging! Looks sharp. Glad to hear you are enjoying driving it, I think they are a blast.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Madurai posted:

After seven days and a little over five hundred miles, I can say it really is everything advertised. My perspective is obviously skewed, I'll be the first to admit--I've never owned a really high-end car in my life, until now. It's nicer than my house. But drat, does it go when you press the pedal.

It's not without nuisances: there are a grand total of two undersized cupholders; aside from the glove compartment, there's no concealed storage without opening the trunks; the seats don't have adjustable headrests. Stuff like that. But these are all nitpicks, rookie mistakes from a young company, and things one would expect to get ironed out in subsequent model years.

That's beautiful. Congratulations my man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Test drove a 2013 Leaf SL tonight. It wasn't a great sign that the dealer didn't even know if any were charged, and seemed to not even know how to get the one out of the showroom moving initially. Only had 10 miles on it at the start of the test drive, even.

Really does drive nicely enough, but the only thing that was worrying was that when I kicked the A/C on and the estimated range cut from 83 miles to 63 miles in an instant. That's tight enough that if they don't install any charge station of any sort at work (there's not even a 120V plug on the outside right now) I might not be able to make the round trip between work and home, especially once the battery ages. Of course, I don't have any idea when / how they last charged it up so who knows.

Tempting but I still need to iron things out on that range concern.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

Tempting but I still need to iron things out on that range concern.

Got you covered.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Calculus,

You need a charger at work. You need that first. Your commute won't work without one. That said the 2013 is supposed to squeeze more range from the AC then the 2012 does. There is a ratty 110V charger on ebay for 300 bucks that you could just leave there if you can find a plug in the parking lot. Have you thought about tapping in to a light pole? Some are live and the light at the top switches the bulb on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is brought over from the new car thread, since it's tech and not a new model:

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The Borg Warner system looks like it's going to keep the motors inboard and use a pair of linked planetary gearsets to split the torque. I guess in the sense of multiple motors combining with planetary gearsets to actively split torque it's pretty close conceptually to how hybrid CVTs work. I guess that another alternative by extension would be to use the same principle to make an electric active center differential of some sort for a hybrid conventional AWD system. AAM has a few demonstration videos of their system actually doing active side-to-side torque splitting on an icy test track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Ytf5-qBm4
While that is clearly a very capable car driving out there, I have 2 points:
- the description claims that a minimum of steering input is needed. I don't really buy that. The steering inputs look normal, and administered by a good driver with familiarity with the track. That still says good things about how the system emulates existing drivetrain handling behavior.
- "Even with speeds in excess of 120kph on this narrow and icy road there is not a hint of drama." Oh, really? When he taps the left snowdrift and gets the front dug in and the rear rotating, he very rapidly saves by countersteering hard. Obviously we know nothing about how stability control and torque vectoring were set up. But clearly his reaction is correct for a normal car. The system is not magical yet with its reactive stability measures.

Here's a vid showing how that diff words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzSbTHbK8c

e: that mechanism, as far as I can tell, is the same as what was used on some toy CVT demonstrator system. There was a video discussed in AI somewhere where a little KNEX-looking rig used 2 electric motors to vary speed and torque output.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 23, 2013

oogs
Dec 6, 2011

Madurai posted:

Now that it's been a little longer, is it still everything you expected?

I want one. I just need to increase my income a little bit (2x?) so I can comfortably afford the drat thing...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Calculus,

You need a charger at work. You need that first. Your commute won't work without one. That said the 2013 is supposed to squeeze more range from the AC then the 2012 does. There is a ratty 110V charger on ebay for 300 bucks that you could just leave there if you can find a plug in the parking lot. Have you thought about tapping in to a light pole? Some are live and the light at the top switches the bulb on.

Missed this. Yeah, I'm not getting a Leaf until there's any ability to charge at work, and right now there's no outlets of any sort on the outside of the building (or if there are, they're in high traffic areas and I'd get written up for causing a tripping hazard). The lighting circuits are on a timer so the poles aren't live. I've been yakking with the guy in charge of actually operating the building and while it's not a trivial amount of work, it's something at least he's willing to do - if someone actually has a need. So we're at a chicken/egg scenario and the reason I haven't gone ahead and snagged a Leaf to push the issue is I know there's a significant chance someone higher up will get all stupid and decide to block it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I saw a sweet Tesla S charging up at the grocery store in Indiana. Didn't expect that. I wanted to brag to the owner about being able to quick charge but I had shopped and finished charging before they came back. People stop and look at the Tesla but ignore my electic versa. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Missed this. Yeah, I'm not getting a Leaf until there's any ability to charge at work, and right now there's no outlets of any sort on the outside of the building (or if there are, they're in high traffic areas and I'd get written up for causing a tripping hazard). The lighting circuits are on a timer so the poles aren't live. I've been yakking with the guy in charge of actually operating the building and while it's not a trivial amount of work, it's something at least he's willing to do - if someone actually has a need. So we're at a chicken/egg scenario and the reason I haven't gone ahead and snagged a Leaf to push the issue is I know there's a significant chance someone higher up will get all stupid and decide to block it.

So tell the guy you bought one but can't drive it to work until he installs an outlet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If he was someone I only talked to once in a rare while I'd think about that, but I worked for him for a few years and we've got a good enough relationship that he knows me better than that :)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

oogs posted:

Now that it's been a little longer, is it still everything you expected?

I want one. I just need to increase my income a little bit (2x?) so I can comfortably afford the drat thing...

It's closing in on a month and 2500 miles. I'm beginning to get a sense of what it must be like to be popular. Sometimes I can't change lanes because somebody is pacing me, scoping the car. Strangers will come up in the parking lot and ask questions.

Driving the car is still like being a motherfucking sorcerer. You know those little toy horse rides on springs you can see in parks? That's what every other car feels like now.

Life improved considerably once we got a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed, even if our crappy 1970s aluminum wiring means we can only effectively use 26 amps through the plug. I am not terribly impressed with Solar City's customer service thus far.

Am also standing by for bullshit old people lawsuits against Tesla: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/mar/29/woman-crashes-new-car-into-camarillo-restaurant/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

If he was someone I only talked to once in a rare while I'd think about that, but I worked for him for a few years and we've got a good enough relationship that he knows me better than that :)

So tell him that's what you told him. Then go buy your car after he's done.

You know he wants to. You're just giving him the excuse. Maybe there's even some Fed subsidy dollars he can get in exchange for the work.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Tesla has just revised their guidance to a profitable Q1. Also the 40kwh battery is now an awesome deal, they announced the demand was so low that they won't be building 40kwh battery packs. Instead, the 40 cars will get a 60 pack and have the state of charge software limited and upgradable in the future. If I were buying one that would now be my top choice.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Tyro posted:

Tesla has just revised their guidance to a profitable Q1.

On a cash basis. That is not real profit. That is saying, hey if we ignore depreciation and amortization on all we spent on this factory and designing the car we made money!

You can't order a new 40. Only people already on order can get a gimped 60. Why they don't just give them a 60 is dumb. They are in effect giving them a 60 anyway cost wise.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, it's April 1st. No, it's not a joke (unfortunately, it is only a prototype):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkCcWG4K93g

Only a fifty mile range, but it's only 5% heavier than standard, and that same battery life is supposedly good for 8hrs of playing in the mud. I really want the electric powertrain in a traditional-looking Series II now. :3:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Tesla is currently up 20% to $45~ today.

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

On a cash basis. That is not real profit. That is saying, hey if we ignore depreciation and amortization on all we spent on this factory and designing the car we made money!

You can't order a new 40. Only people already on order can get a gimped 60. Why they don't just give them a 60 is dumb. They are in effect giving them a 60 anyway cost wise.

Being cash basis profitable is pretty important, especially as a startup in an industry with an incredible amount of physical plant investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
So, what does everyone think of the Volt? Are there any Volt owners in this thread?

I would like to get a Leaf but unfortunately I travel long distances just enough to write that one off the list. The Volt seems to overcome that by having a decent enough electric only range that would cover my daily commute but also any occasional road trips I would have to take. It also appears that the dealerships are significantly cutting the price so that makes it even more worthwhile to me. I want to like the C-Max Energi but the range and general egg shape kind of bother me. There's also the comedy Prius option but the plug-in isn't sold in my state (Georgia) and the electric only range is kind of comical.

• Locked thread