Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Doomhammer posted:

I think it changes to whatever you have the most levels in, though I don't know if it gets locked in at any point. My first dude started as 'wise' but changed to brave really quickly 'cos i did a lot of brave skirmishes early.

So when you look at your character info, it says main type: brave, instead of wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Dramicus posted:

So when you look at your character info, it says main type: brave, instead of wise?

Yep.

Replacing regular officers with created ones is becoming addicting. I've done Lu Su, Chen Gong, Yuan Shu, Wen Chou, Yan Liang and Man Chong so far. Yuan Shu is a short, fat dude in Imperial robes and Xu Zhu's Roly Poly Musou. Also he has a really high voice. I like to think this is historically accurate.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Is anyone having trouble with DW7 Empires freezing? I've locked up a few times before battle after waiting an age for the bar to load (it's usually pretty fast) and scrolling through officers seems to bug out too, it'll stop showing me what they look like (gets stuck on now loading) and once I choose one the next screen doesn't arrive. :(

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

It freezes in battle pretty often for me, but I haven't had it freeze in any other situation.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

No freezes at all here.

How is the damage your troops receive after a battle calculated? I always lose most of mine even though I decimate the enemies.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My only issue was at one point entering a packed main camp and someone using Volley, which caused the graphics to spaz out.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jimbot posted:

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?
Theoretically you could just let someone conquer all but one territory and then fight them for their home territory and win the whole thing. I got 3 territories by doing that to Meng huo earlier today. It seems to be fairly random whether beating the ruler earns you all their turf or if they just relocate to another place they own, though.

Also, i found a pretty good Chie on there and made a Yukiko to match it :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The Doomhammer posted:

Yep.

Replacing regular officers with created ones is becoming addicting. I've done Lu Su, Chen Gong, Yuan Shu, Wen Chou, Yan Liang and Man Chong so far. Yuan Shu is a short, fat dude in Imperial robes and Xu Zhu's Roly Poly Musou. Also he has a really high voice. I like to think this is historically accurate.

I did like a dozen of these last night, focusing on the recommended warriors for Yellow Turban Rebellion then going and doing all of the generic officer leaders in YTR. I started trying to put a lot of thought into basing their appearance, move set, and personality on historical information and their roles in Rot3K but this started to get tedious and so many of the people are just "This is a dude who controlled some territory once." Now I just kind of wing it.

That being said, I'm actually kind of bummed out about the character creation. I feel like there's only a handful more clothing options than we had last time around and I really would have liked either more color options or some color sliders. If you don't want your officer to look like he's associated with one of the kingdoms you're options are black, yellow, or purple.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...Wait, I forget-what's the Bodyguard/NPC system this time? I don't think it was mentioned.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jibo posted:

If you don't want your officer to look like he's associated with one of the kingdoms you're options are black, yellow, or purple.
:eng101: yellow is technically the color for the Other category (it's used in Next's conquest mode, for example).

And yes, they need to add more colors.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

U.T. Raptor posted:

:eng101: yellow is technically the color for the Other category (it's used in Next's conquest mode, for example).

And yes, they need to add more colors.

Ha, I know. I thought about mentioning that. Yellow makes you look like you're in the YTR or you're chilling with Yuan Shao and purple makes you're with Wei.

Although, I forgot to mention that the thing that's more shameful than the lack of colors is the fact that there are only like four or five facial hair options and most aren't that great.

Koei, give me a beard pack.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

One thing I've found that slightly annoys me is that changes you make to your characters' attire in a campaign don't automatically apply to how they appear in edit mode. You have to go back into there and manually change stuff if you've unlocked new clothes for example.

Not a big deal overall, just something I've noticed.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

Ha, I know. I thought about mentioning that. Yellow makes you look like you're in the YTR or you're chilling with Yuan Shao and purple makes you're with Wei.

Although, I forgot to mention that the thing that's more shameful than the lack of colors is the fact that there are only like four or five facial hair options and most aren't that great.

Koei, give me a beard pack.

There are a handful of additional facial hairs as DLC that you can look forward to buying months from now as Koei trickles out the substantial amount of DLC this game has as slowly as possible. :negative:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

When I buy stuff from the clothier, does it unlock forever or is it tied to that save? Only have had a few hours so I haven't bought anything from that vendor yet.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Forever, at least when I went out of campaign and into edit mode to make a new buddy I still had all the stuff I unlocked.

I really like this game. I started to befriend a random officer since I wanted to try out all the commands, and then later when I did a Skirmish (where it was meant to be just me on the map, according to the mission text) he showed up with me and we kicked some rear end. So obviously, I made a custom character and now we are a team of non asians tackling China.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So are there no health pickups in Skirmishes? It seems like Skirmishes are harder than invasions or defends if that's the case. Actually the game as a whole seems harder than DW7 since you're not constantly getting your stats upgraded and the only people who can drop powerups are officers.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

So are there no health pickups in Skirmishes? It seems like Skirmishes are harder than invasions or defends if that's the case. Actually the game as a whole seems harder than DW7 since you're not constantly getting your stats upgraded and the only people who can drop powerups are officers.

Officers in skirmishes will drop health items as soon as they put out the 1.03 update. No idea why they didn't include it at release considering that it does a lot more than just fix bugs.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Officers in skirmishes will drop health items as soon as they put out the 1.03 update. No idea why they didn't include it at release considering that it does a lot more than just fix bugs.

Is there any notes for this anywhere/any ETA on it?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thievery posted:

Is there any notes for this anywhere/any ETA on it?

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_7:_Empires/DLC
Bottom of the page.

No ETA. For all I know they'll never put it out, but that would be weird considering that it's already made.

Pictures of all of the DLC clothing and stuff at that link too.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

tooooooo bad posted:

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_7:_Empires/DLC
Bottom of the page.

No ETA. For all I know they'll never put it out, but that would be weird considering that it's already made.

Pictures of all of the DLC clothing and stuff at that link too.

Patch 1.03 ups the amount of hair colors to 255. :stare: I know it's a lot more work but I wish they'd just give us another armor color or two rather than just unlocking shade controls for hair.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

tooooooo bad posted:

1.03 only just came out like a week ago in Japan is probably why.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I have tried several times over the years to get into this series, mostly because I loved Sengoku Basara and knew it was partly inspired by DW. It just never clicked though, I think because I didn't try very hard to understand the deeper strategy mechanics. With DW7:E, I've made an effort to do just that and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. After I started downloading the game and before I played it, I discovered that Orochi 3 was also in the PS store and began kicking myself for not choosing that instead. Now, I'm not sure if I would like it better or not. How would this thread recommend I proceed?

e: Too late. Sorry, wallet.

Portable Staplefrog fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 28, 2013

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So does spending 7K to unlock weapon carryover unlock it for all time, or is it simply impossible to play with weapon carryover for most of your games, since a win is worth less than 7K points?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The GIG posted:

1.03 only just came out like a week ago in Japan is probably why.

Oh that does explain it. Hope they get it out soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DW8 report so far: Lu Bu killed me. No one told me not to pursue him, how was I supposed to know he would kill me in three hits?

Anyway, now there's a paper rock scissors system to elemental weapon types, if you have the good type you have a chance to do a kind of mini-musou attack that doesn't consume anything, makes destroying enemy generals go really fast (the fact that you can only carry two weapons means that no matter what, you won't have the advantageous type for every enemy you encounter though). There's a counterattack against enemy charge attacks by hitting R1 but...the only time I ever get hit by those anyway is when I am caught unawares from an enemy off-screen, so I haven't had many chances to use that. Also you can mount horses while running by just holding down L2, that's nice. It's not much different than 7 other than that. I haven't messed with the non story mode thing yet though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2013

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
So far I'm enjoying 7 empires! However, screw every allied officer with the Lockout stratagem.

Quit locking me in newly captured bases you jerks :argh:seriously though, it has happened literally every time my allies have used it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

So far I'm enjoying 7 empires! However, screw every allied officer with the Lockout stratagem.

Quit locking me in newly captured bases you jerks :argh:seriously though, it has happened literally every time my allies have used it

I'm actually quite surprised that one is the only one they used stupidly. I've seen them use their others ones really effectively.

Is there any prerequisite to becoming Emperor or is it some random event?

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
The only time I became emperor was right after using the special for high affluence characters to get the imperial seal. Not sure if its related or a coincidence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OneDeadman posted:

Haha, yeah that happens to me at least once a battle it seems.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
How are you supposed to do the sworn sibling/marriage stuff? I have a stack of dudes that I have an S relationship with, but I can't find any options to do cool things with them.

Zhang Liao had some dramatic cut scene before a battle with me about how he wanted to fight with me until he died and I assumed something triggered, but that guy only had a D relationship with me when I checked afterward.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

OneDeadman posted:

Yeah, this is getting really annoying. Also setting up a strategic ambush just to have my allies go and try and fight it out with enemy officers right outside of it.

I've been playing this game all day and I know people are going to think I'm nuts but I honestly think that I like DW6E better. DW7E definitely has better battle gameplay by a wide margin but it just seems like there's less to do. There was more variety in the Mercenary missions than the Skirmishes that we have now, and they were more interesting and would give you permanent rewards for that campaign. Also, in 6 you got policies every three months so you didn't spend as much time dicking around with managing resources and developing friendships between invasions. There were also events that could occur that would allow you to capture extra territories besides the one your ruler decided to go after.

Basically what I'm saying is I miss being able to beat up on fire breathing tigers between battles and being able to conquer China in less than four decades.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

How are you supposed to do the sworn sibling/marriage stuff? I have a stack of dudes that I have an S relationship with, but I can't find any options to do cool things with them.

Zhang Liao had some dramatic cut scene before a battle with me about how he wanted to fight with me until he died and I assumed something triggered, but that guy only had a D relationship with me when I checked afterward.

Choose the "Interact" option with a character you have an S rank with, afterwards it will ask if you want to make them your sworn brother or marry them if you're opposite gender.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My friend was disappointed that there wasn't same-sex marriages, so I just told her that Ancient China wasn't terribly progressive with gay rights and China would probably ban the game if Liu Bei could marry Cao Cao.

Jokes aside, what is the response from China on these games anyway? They take this sort of things insanely seriously, considering a Japanese developer is making games on Chinese history.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think I'll have to disable downloaded officers for my next game. If nothing else, so New Officer will stop asking to join me.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Alacron posted:

Choose the "Interact" option with a character you have an S rank with, afterwards it will ask if you want to make them your sworn brother or marry them if you're opposite gender.

Oh, thanks. That should have been obvious, but I never picked it because all it mentioned was raising your relationship.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

Oh, thanks. That should have been obvious, but I never picked it because all it mentioned was raising your relationship.

Yeah, it's not terribly intuitive and I figured it just by wasting months putzing around with the various options.

This game can be really awesome if you're using strategems properly, yesterday I got into a battle where Lu Bu and like 4 other officers were charging up the middle of the map decimating my guys, so I swung around a side route and made a bunch of quick captures until I got to the camp right outside the enemy's main base and the only place that was connected to their base. I used Base Fire to go for a quick capture, which cut off their entire supply chain and turned the whole map a nice blue color. Then I dropped an ambush on the camp, and waited Lu Bu and his pals to come waltzing in, and once they did I used Dragnet and captured almost all of them, including Lu Bu. Zhuge Who? :smug:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So with the Export and Import options does that mean we can share our creations with the thread? I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure how it works. I'd love it if we could start sharing each others' favorite CAW characters we've made.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The one thing I'm kind of bummed out about is that armies are made up of junk. I really liked how random mooks had ranks and the better the rank the better their health and they attacked more often. I was hoping that training and getting army ranks up would mean there would be more corporals and lieutenants than privates and they would generally be more effective. Alas, it just means you control more people. The day Empires adds in the ability to direct your army (not just your generals) is the day the Empire franchise becomes the best ever. I really like the Kingdom Under Fire games, but the heavy metal, chainmail bikini horeshit designs they're adapting into their upcoming game really turns me off these days.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Scyther posted:

I think I'll have to disable downloaded officers for my next game. If nothing else, so New Officer will stop asking to join me.

I don't know if this actually works. I set it to 'favorites only', and I still run into a bunch of created officers. I like seeing other creations, but my immersion! :argh:

Ended up switching my main caw from Lu Bu's halberd to Zhao Yun's dragon spear moveset they added with XL (Which I never played). Not as effective on groups of enemy soldiers, but it's so much more satisfying and cinematic. I love how the spear bends and you use the snap back as a means of attack. Looks like how when any martial artist in a movie picks up a spear. It's very kinetic and fluid. Makes me want to watch Red Cliff again. :allears:

edit:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
So is there an option somewhere to turn off running into player created character?

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I think those options only determine whether you download the actual CAW you encounter, instead of it just showing up. That's what the Create Guest Officer menu is for.

e: Manual

quote:

Download Data - Download created characters and teams.
Upload Data - Upload characters and teams you have created.
Import Data - Save the data for created characters and teams.
Export Data - Export the data for created characters and teams. Exported data can be uploaded online.
Create Team - Form a team of up to 5 created characters. Created teams can appear as kingdoms within the Empire Mode scenario, "A Gathering of Heroes."
Leaderboards - Compete online against other players on total K.O.s within the Empire Mode.
Online Play - Play a game online P.9 with another player.
Store - Connect to PlayStationŽStore and purchase downloadable content.
Create Guest Officer - Extract created character data from your Empire Mode save data and save it.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 28, 2013