Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have different video settings for different inputs ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I've been looking at an Element brand 32' LED TV. It's $200, which is nice, but I can't find out if it's actually any good. Anyone have some previous experience with the brand?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Just got a Samsung PN51E550, and I feel like I'm in the minority, because I kinda want that Soap Opera effect, and I can't figure out how to get that in my settings.

The "Cinema Smooth" option is greyed out and I don't know what else to do.

I'm running my Blu Ray player through an HDMI cable and a surround sound receiver ,

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Just got a Samsung PN51E550, and I feel like I'm in the minority, because I kinda want that Soap Opera effect, and I can't figure out how to get that in my settings.

The "Cinema Smooth" option is greyed out and I don't know what else to do.

I'm running my Blu Ray player through an HDMI cable and a surround sound receiver ,

I don't think that TV has the soap opera effect thing. I've only seen it on LCD and LED TV's.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn51e550/4505-6482_7-35169620.html

Here's a review for it. You can see it says No next to the Dejudder feature. That's what gives the soap opera effect.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Ah okay, that makes a ton of sense. Either way I'm really happy with my new TV, since my last TV was a 26 inch Element LCD that I had for 5 years.

I picked up Avengers and Drive Angry in 3D,are there any other 3D must-have Blu Rays?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I contacted Amazon Friday about price-matching the Paul's TV price for this 47" Panasonic that I ordered. They still haven't gotten back to me, and it looks like Paul's TV was clearing that model out and they are now out of stock, so there's no way Amazon will match it... but they did drop their own price by a hundred bucks, so at least there's that.

EDIT: The model that's supposed to be above that one, the TC-L47DT50, is selling for $849 on Amazon. If I can cancel the first TV and get this, would it be a good buy?

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 18, 2013

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Elysium posted:

Really? It seems to me that $400 is right around the price point for a lot of 40" 1080p tvs, other than high end samsungs and sonys. For example, 42" LG 3D 1080p, $429 (was just $399 a couple days ago): http://www.frys.com/product/7506206

Crap I forgot I posted in this thread for advice. Anyways it really is hard to find 40" or lower that's 1080p for ~$400. I say 40" because the space I'm planning to put the TV has a max limit of fitting a 40 incher :(. I'm pretty torn on a decision.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I'm looking for a 42-47 inch TV, not 3D. Using it mostly for games, with a few movies here and there. I'd like to spend around $500 if possible, but can go a little higher if needed. Anyone have any suggestions?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Winged Orpheus posted:

I'm looking for a 42-47 inch TV, not 3D. Using it mostly for games, with a few movies here and there. I'd like to spend around $500 if possible, but can go a little higher if needed. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just bought a 46 LCD Samsung. It is very nice. Model number LN46E550. The price was the upper 500s.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Does anyone have any opinions/experience with JVC televisions? I found this on Amazon, and it seems pretty decent.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Winged Orpheus posted:

See my post above about the Panasonic TC-L47E5, its full IPS-LED, and i've been pretty happy in the week i've had it, using the settings listed in the amazon reviews.

Amazon warehouse has them for ~~$475 with minor cosmetic damage to the back/missing stand screws (buy replacements at Ace for $3).

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I have a Panasonic TC-P54G25 a couple years back, and recently moved across the country without my tv stand. While I wait for it to return, anyone have any suggestions on a decent (safe) way to prop it on the entertainment center and against the wall?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

cereal eater posted:

I have a Panasonic TC-P54G25 a couple years back, and recently moved across the country without my tv stand. While I wait for it to return, anyone have any suggestions on a decent (safe) way to prop it on the entertainment center and against the wall?

a portion of 2x4 clamped flat in front of the center, with the TV behind it. Sort of like this:
= is 2x4
/ is the tv
| is the wall
code:

/|
====]/ |
awww, screw it, here is a crudely drawn paint of the idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kuhmondo posted:

Crap I forgot I posted in this thread for advice. Anyways it really is hard to find 40" or lower that's 1080p for ~$400. I say 40" because the space I'm planning to put the TV has a max limit of fitting a 40 incher :(. I'm pretty torn on a decision.

I like my Vizio A390. Just gotta turn off the ambient light feature and suddenly it is all good. Slightly less than 400 at Sam's club.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 19, 2013

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I have been looking into a 50" - 60" LED or Plasma TV recently. My big fear is I have a two year old in the house who is a wrecking ball. He is like a GOD OF DESTRUCTION or some poo poo. I have seen numerous providers of 'screen protectors' online for tv's for fairly high prices. What do I do?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teknologik posted:

I have been looking into a 50" - 60" LED or Plasma TV recently. My big fear is I have a two year old in the house who is a wrecking ball. He is like a GOD OF DESTRUCTION or some poo poo. I have seen numerous providers of 'screen protectors' online for tv's for fairly high prices. What do I do?

Mount it on the wall.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Don Lapre posted:

Mount it on the wall.

Living in a mobile home (trailer) for another year, wah wah wah. It's nice but as far as I know the walls are poo poo for this.

Totally thought of that as well though. It wouldn't protect it from thrown objects but at least he wouldn't be able to run up and punch it. We are touchy about him with the current tv but I just don't want to be in the terrible position of having him break something that fragile :(

edit: plus the way my livingroom is there are windows on the available walls

teknologik fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 24, 2013

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

teknologik posted:

Living in a mobile home (trailer) for another year, wah wah wah. It's nice but as far as I know the walls are poo poo for this.

Totally thought of that as well though. It wouldn't protect it from thrown objects but at least he wouldn't be able to run up and punch it. We are touchy about him with the current tv but I just don't want to be in the terrible position of having him break something that fragile :(

edit: plus the way my livingroom is there are windows on the available walls

50-60 inches seems too big for any trailer I've ever been in... Like uncomfortably big and awkward.

Maybe keep saving up, and get a ridiculously big one once you move? Unless you have some kind of jumbo trailer

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

lapse posted:

50-60 inches seems too big for any trailer I've ever been in... Like uncomfortably big and awkward.

Maybe keep saving up, and get a ridiculously big one once you move? Unless you have some kind of jumbo trailer

Hmm, I have a 52" in there currently and I think I could step up to a 60" and it still look normal. The living room is close to to the size of my parents and friends livings room at their house. I work at a retailer who does plenty of TV deliveries and I am not going to cram a 92" Mitsibushi DLP into a closet of a livingroom I promise. :haw:

Edit: I think I am going to order some armor off of tv-armor.com or something. Maybe it'll help it survive the move later next year too.

LastDay
Aug 7, 2007
I didn't want the stupid newbie avatar
I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic TCP50UT50 and the Samsung PN51E550FXZC. I'll mostly be using my wii and playing videos from a USB hard drive with it. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic due to how popular their other plasma tvs seem to be around here. I can't compare them in store (nowhere close that has them in stock, I'll be ordering online). Thanks.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120hz-led-3d-tv-1080p-4-hdmi/prod6450239.ip

I am thinking about getting that tv. Any useful comments someone can offer? It's 1100 at sams.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
What is the best TV for gaming these days? Sears has the Panasonic ST50 for $799 - seems like a great deal. Not sure if I should go for this, or look for something better...I would assume since it's plasma i will have low input lag.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

teknologik posted:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/55-120hz-led-3d-tv-1080p-4-hdmi/prod6450239.ip

I am thinking about getting that tv. Any useful comments someone can offer? It's 1100 at sams.

I took mine back and got a 55" samsung. I didn't like the glossy screen, the light bleeding on the sides, and the weird behavior like flashing on and off, stuck pixels, etc.

At the time I bought it, I was paying $800.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were looking at the 55LM 4600. This screen may be better than that (probably not).

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2013

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

LaserWash posted:

I took mine back and got a 55" samsung. I didn't like the glossy screen, the light bleeding on the sides, and the weird behavior like flashing on and off, stuck pixels, etc.

At the time I bought it, I was paying $800.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were looking at the 55LM 4600. This screen may be better than that (probably not).

I am skeptical of the little issues I have heard of like this. I am going to buy it and watch it closely for a bit. I have a 90 day return policy so I can return it if I dislike it. I'll report back here with my findings.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
Guys, I've been looking for a mid range plasma and the local electronics store has some LG 50PA5500 in stock for 400 euros. I'm not looking for a smart TV or anything, just need a good picture and sound with some good gaming performances. Input lag has to be minimal since i play fighting games mostly.
I know this isn't a top notch TV but a HD 50" screen for that price is pretty nice.
What's the general consensus between goons on this TV?

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Got Haggis? posted:

What is the best TV for gaming these days? Sears has the Panasonic ST50 for $799 - seems like a great deal. Not sure if I should go for this, or look for something better...I would assume since it's plasma i will have low input lag.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this same deal unless anyone has anything bad to say about it. I'll be using it for mostly gaming with some movies.

Edit: Aaaaand it jumped back up to $999 about an hour before my tax refund hit the bank account. Dang.

Gentwise fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 28, 2013

VirtualAdept
Mar 28, 2003
I'm just here for the free stuff
Ok, so I'm looking for a tv that is from 50 - 60 inches. I'd like 3d, but don't really care one way or another about any other smart features. My main concern is that I play a ~ton~ of video games. Sometimes for 5 to 6 hours at a time (yeah yeah im a huge nerd.) That makes me incredibly nervous about plasmas. Prince really isnt a huge concern but i'd like to keep it under 2000$ if at all possible.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I have $400 to spend. That's a pretty hard limit, maaaaaaaaybe +$50 or so if the deal is sweet enough. Can anyone recommend a nice 720p or above TV for this price? As big as I can get of course. 3d doesn't really matter to me.. will probably hook an xbox up to it and it'll also be used to stream videos from my media PC.

Preferably one that doesn't poo poo out like my last TV did about a week after the warranty expired. (I think it was a Panasonic but not sure)

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

LastDay posted:

I'm trying to decide between the Panasonic TCP50UT50 and the Samsung PN51E550FXZC. I'll mostly be using my wii and playing videos from a USB hard drive with it. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic due to how popular their other plasma tvs seem to be around here. I can't compare them in store (nowhere close that has them in stock, I'll be ordering online). Thanks.

I've had the PN51E550 for a month and I absolutely love it. Especially for gaming, it looks amazing. The 3D is just an added bonus, but I really do like the Smart features, specifically Netflix being built into it. The only complaint I have is that if the room is very bright, you will get a decent amount of glare, but I knew that when I bought it so no big deal really.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

SuperNuts posted:

I have $400 to spend. That's a pretty hard limit, maaaaaaaaybe +$50 or so if the deal is sweet enough. Can anyone recommend a nice 720p or above TV for this price? As big as I can get of course. 3d doesn't really matter to me.. will probably hook an xbox up to it and it'll also be used to stream videos from my media PC.

Preferably one that doesn't poo poo out like my last TV did about a week after the warranty expired. (I think it was a Panasonic but not sure)

Can't speak for the quality or longevity (probably not that great) but in terms of price for size: http://www.target.com/p/westinghouse-50-class-1080p-60hz-led-hdtv-black-ew50t1xw/-/A-14161385#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink

Check your local store because it's supposedly on clearance for as low as $299 (select stores, only if still in stock).

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

SuperNuts posted:

I just bought one of these last week and have been loving it ever since. Haven't had it that long, so can't speak for longevity yet. For the price i paid though, I'm not gonna complain.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SuperNuts posted:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E390-A1...ords=Visio+a390

Getting it at a Sam's club, it was 378. Vizio is in the "decent brand" bin, as far a I understand. I like it well enough, just turn off the ambient light setting and you are good to go.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+55%22+Class+(54-5/8%22+Diag.)+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+HDTV/6735568.p?id=1218789792782&skuId=6735568

I've been thinking about upgrading for a bit now, and this jumps out at me. The price is great for the size, and I'm a fan of LG's products. Any thoughts?

Edit: I suppose I'll post what I'm looking at. I'm looking for at the LEAST a 46", though would prefer something in the 50-55" range. I don't want to spend more than $1000 right now, and I've got a BB credit card so I can get their no interest finance thing. Will be used primarily for Video games and streaming netflix.

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 1, 2013

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is there any sort of prevailing wisdom about waiting for new models to come out - IE is it better to wait for them to come out and then buy the previous model at a (hopefully) steep discount, or are the additional features and improvements generally worth the higher price of admission? Any tips for the best time to buy the previous year's model?

To be more specific, the new line of Panasonic plasma's will be (supposedly) trickling out in the March/April/May timeframe. I have my eye on the ST60/VT60 and, if the price isn't insane, maybe even the ZT60.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Is there any specific tip to picking television repair servicepeople, or is it simply safest to use whoever the company recommends locally? I need to get a 42" LG serviced (it's having the notorious power-on bug that those have :(), and I wanted to do some research before just blindly following what CS tells me to.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Mister Macys posted:

How do I calibrate my TV's settings?
- Avia Guide to Home Theater, or THX-Certified DVD/Blu-Ray movies, which will contain an optimization "guide". Or pay ~$300 to a professional.

Please, please don't tell people to buy Avia anymore. Pick up a copy of DVE HD Basics on Blu-ray. You really should be calibrating your television using the input and resolution you'll use for most of your content, and 480i/NTSC doesn't cut it anymore.

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Barry posted:

Is there any sort of prevailing wisdom about waiting for new models to come out - IE is it better to wait for them to come out and then buy the previous model at a (hopefully) steep discount, or are the additional features and improvements generally worth the higher price of admission? Any tips for the best time to buy the previous year's model?

To be more specific, the new line of Panasonic plasma's will be (supposedly) trickling out in the March/April/May timeframe. I have my eye on the ST60/VT60 and, if the price isn't insane, maybe even the ZT60.

If you're waiting for the ZT60, sure, but I don't think there will be a whole lot of difference between the ST/VT50/60 aside from some smart tv features.

The ZT60 isn't expected to be out until may/june at the earliest though, Panasonic always releases it's higher end models late.

You might want to check out the Samsung 8500, people who saw them at CES said a lot of good things about them and Samsung is claiming much deeper blacks and something like a 200% increase in brightness, which is a huge deal for any plasma set. They're usually second-rung to Panasonic in the plasma market but it seems like they're trying to change that this year. They're supposed to be shipping in the third or fourth week of this month.

The best time to buy last year's models is usually right now, the ST50 is likely already out of production at this point, UT50's are already hard to find in certain sizes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I grabbed an ST50 today! I played two local electronics retailers against each other and got the price down to something I was comfortable with. 50 inch... originally wanted to go larger but for the room 50 is about the perfect size. I've never owned a plasma and while I know in my mind that burn in/image retention isn't really an issue anymore I'm still terrified of it. The TV will be used for gaming more than anything else. I don't marathon game as much as I used to and I play a lot of different games so there wont be one solid HUD effect all the time...

What's the SA take on breaking in a plasma?

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
Strange question, you folks might know the answer to it. I've got a receiver that does all the DCDi upscaling and I was wondering if it would be better to let the receiver do the handling for interlacing or let the TV handle that? I ask because I've got a laserdisc player wired up to the thing over s-video, but I'm not sure if I want to handle the interlacing at the upscaler level (at 720p) or pass it along to the TV and let it handle it at 1080i. I've got one of those big Mitsubishi DLP TVs, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Priam posted:

If you're waiting for the ZT60, sure, but I don't think there will be a whole lot of difference between the ST/VT50/60 aside from some smart tv features.

The ZT60 isn't expected to be out until may/june at the earliest though, Panasonic always releases it's higher end models late.

You might want to check out the Samsung 8500, people who saw them at CES said a lot of good things about them and Samsung is claiming much deeper blacks and something like a 200% increase in brightness, which is a huge deal for any plasma set. They're usually second-rung to Panasonic in the plasma market but it seems like they're trying to change that this year. They're supposed to be shipping in the third or fourth week of this month.

The best time to buy last year's models is usually right now, the ST50 is likely already out of production at this point, UT50's are already hard to find in certain sizes.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that all in mind. I'll look at the 8500 and I might just wait and see how expensive the ZT60 ends up being.