Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
The only thing Traktor can't seem to deal with well is slowing down tracks to a ridiculous degree (like 120 to 70). Also I'm not sure there's a way to turn off keylock. (i like chopped&screwed)

Also it doesn't support any USB audio interfaces/MIDI controllers except for some lame traktor hardware but I hope it will soon at least support coreaudio USB for dual stereo output. It has split-headphone cueing but gently caress that.

Overall its really cool and I'm probably gonna use it but the most feature-rich app is still DJ Player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is all I have to say about Traktor DJ:

I'm a no-talent hack, and I spent 30 minutes with it at Midnight last night while my wife and baby slept next to me and I produced something more than a little rad. (Forgive some of the effects near the end, it was me mostly trying to figure out what some did...)

https://soundcloud.com/feenix/childish-mau5/s-dunXZ

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.
Traktor DJ is fantastic. I bought it just as an accompaniment to Traktor Pro so that I could beat grid and build playlists while I was away from my laptop but I've just spent the last two hours mixing with with it and it's great fun.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
Thanks for putting that app on my radar. I also have been meaning to mess with Traktor more on my macbook, so this is going to next level poo poo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Epileper posted:

Also it doesn't support any USB audio interfaces/MIDI controllers except for some lame traktor hardware but I hope it will soon at least support coreaudio USB for dual stereo output. It has split-headphone cueing but gently caress that.

This. Although, I've never never used the Audio 6 or 10 so I can't vouch for their quality. Traktor is very polished and well put together, and easily worth the price, but having to pay $200+ more just to cue properly is rather unfortunate.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Anyone use Lemur?

Is there a way around the 256 byte limit on SysEx messages? My MicroKorg patches are 297 bytes :(

I think I'm going to have to write a daemon to intercept the SysEx messages and create new, smaller custom ones that Lemur can handle.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Just a heads-up for anyone into using iOS apps for music production (or just loving around, like me): the Audiobus forum is quite active, with lots of users and developers posting. It's probably the best all-around iOS music app discussion site at this point.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

^^^Seconding this. It has pretty much taken over as my go to forum for ios music app news.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

to anyone with Cubasis: is it worth the $50 even if you have beatmaker 2? beatmaker 2 seems to be able to do most of what cubasis can do, but cubasis looks like it has a much smoother interface.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the best app for making high quality organic sounding backing tracks to use for guitar improv practice?

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Epileper posted:

to anyone with Cubasis: is it worth the $50 even if you have beatmaker 2? beatmaker 2 seems to be able to do most of what cubasis can do, but cubasis looks like it has a much smoother interface.

I'm sort of in the same boat so I'm interested in this as well. I've been lurking on the Cubasis forums following the development. Looking forward to seeing what they add in the next update as the last one was just maintenance.

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the best app for making high quality organic sounding backing tracks to use for guitar improv practice?

There's ThumbJam, which has some good organic instrument sounds that you can record and do multiple loops at the same time. There's also notation playback/ editors like Notion or Symphonix Evolution where you can methodically enter in a melody or chords and play over that. Then of course there are the multi-tracker/ DAW apps (Beatmaker 2, Cubasis, Auria, etc) that will do what you want and then some. There are a lot of options out there, It just depends on how simple or complex of a process you want to work with.

illBilliam fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 13, 2013

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm blown away by JamUP ProXT guitar amp and effects modeling. The sound modeling blows Garage Band, Amplitube, and Ampkit out of the water. Its the best sounding guitar app i've heard on iOS. It has a good effects sharing feature, and it plays in the background so you can record to GarageBand. I'm going to splurge on all the extra amps and stomboxes.

They have a free version to test out.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

I'm blown away by JamUP ProXT guitar amp and effects modeling. The sound modeling blows Garage Band, Amplitube, and Ampkit out of the water. Its the best sounding guitar app i've heard on iOS. It has a good effects sharing feature, and it plays in the background so you can record to GarageBand. I'm going to splurge on all the extra amps and stomboxes.

They have a free version to test out.

Are the effects in stereo, or just mono? I don't play guitar but I was thinking of getting JamUp so I could run synth apps through it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/mobile-mixer-ipad-stand-bundle-8

Woot is selling what looks like a sweet rear end iPad mixer interface for $59 (msrp $139 but whatever)

oh MOTHERFUCK already sold out. I hate woot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about it is iPad specific? With the RCA inputs you could plug anything in the world into it.

It does seem pretty cool for $60 though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh poo poo good point! drat, for some reason I thought it was going into the iPad docking port thingie. Screw that.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

ChocNitty posted:

Are there any special steps you need to take in order to record guitar playing through JamUP into GarageBand on the iPad? I didn't know you could do that....

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

mia2000 posted:

Are there any special steps you need to take in order to record guitar playing through JamUP into GarageBand on the iPad? I didn't know you could do that....

Apple just released an update for Garage Band with something called Audiobus, which allows it to record signals from other amps, so make sure that your Garage Band is up to date, also there is an option in AmpUP to run in background that needs to be turned on.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
I figured that's what it was. Bummer for me at the moment as I'm stuck with a 1st gen iPad (and Audiobus is not supported).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

Apple just released an update for Garage Band with something called Audiobus, which allows it to record signals from other amps, so make sure that your Garage Band is up to date, also there is an option in AmpUP to run in background that needs to be turned on.

Wow, I remember them being concerned that Apple would approve the app and now they've built in support themselves?

That's one hell of a coup. Rather surprised they didn't just buy Tasty Pixel outright.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Heads up, looks like NanoStudio is half-price ($6.99) from now thru Easter.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey everyone: TC-11 1.8 update was just released! Audiobus support is the big ticket item, but rewritten graphics, animated touch amplitudes, variable polyphony, and new colors are all in there. Really proud of this release. :)

Egg in soup
Nov 29, 2006

Yeah, up yours.

lord funk posted:

Hey everyone: TC-11 1.8 update was just released! Audiobus support is the big ticket item, but rewritten graphics, animated touch amplitudes, variable polyphony, and new colors are all in there. Really proud of this release. :)

This looks like a lot of fun. How easy is it to use for someone that has no experience with synths and very little musical knowledge? Is it something that anyone can pick up and play with?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Egg in soup posted:

This looks like a lot of fun. How easy is it to use for someone that has no experience with synths and very little musical knowledge? Is it something that anyone can pick up and play with?

Pretty easy. It's not one of those pre-packaged music making apps (push button >> start beat and melody), but there's no performance learning curve other than experimenting with your own finger movements and gestures.

A couple of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkN5DbiPguo

This one has another app in the background for the beat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNbHc_XGdA

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
What are the advantages of Lemur, Griid, or Griid Pro over Touchable?

siliconix
Mar 15, 2008
Magellan is down to $6.99 for a while, looks pretty sweet, just got it today.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Ninja Tune Ninja Jamm remix thingamajig is out. There's one free song (Coldcut - Beats and Pieces) to mess about and you can buy other songs if you like.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Filtatron is currently free.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Arturia's iMini just got updated with Audiobus support and midi in. It's also half off at $9.99.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
New ipod version of Wavemapper out now. Amazing Palm is still rolling out great synths these days.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
Is there anyone here using DAW software on the iPad aside from GarageBand? What and how do you like it?

I see the appeal of GB, and it's worth the $5 spot to fool around with or make demos, but it's seriously a toy compared to even the desktop version... seriously, no eq on channels? Not even a general "tone" control?

I have been looking at Cubasis, but the GUI seems a little clunky (and I don't just mean not slick... why is undo a sub menu in?) and Auria is too much of a unknown to drop fifty bux on it without hearing some good feedback.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Check out Beatmaker 2. I haven't used it myself, but many people seem to regard it as one of the best music studio apps out there. http://www.intua.net/products/beatmaker2

Also, if you don't mind something a little bit different UI-wise, check out Tabletop: http://retronyms.com/

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

guys, Turnado:
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Turnado/

super-capable FX VST gets ported to the iPad, audiobus and MIDI in/out/clock already there. thing is crazy, i'm definitely sellin my kaosspad now.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Epileper posted:

guys, Turnado:
http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Turnado/

super-capable FX VST gets ported to the iPad, audiobus and MIDI in/out/clock already there. thing is crazy, i'm definitely sellin my kaosspad now.

That looks interesting. I guess you'll need a USB audio interface connected to your iPad for this?

By the way, I bought "Pixitracker 1 bit" as well as the regular version a couple of days ago and both are super fun (and super simple) tracker apps, ideal for people who don't need lots of extra features and just want to jam on the couch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi9hg1tPlk0

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

FLX posted:

That looks interesting. I guess you'll need a USB audio interface connected to your iPad for this?

yeah, if you're using external sound sources I suppose. it sits in the audiobus FX slot though so you can just do that for all your ipad sound sources.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I made a new video for TC-11:
https://vimeo.com/66472167

I'm working on another one that showcases the device motion. I'm thinking it'll be a kind of layered demo of a few patches played at once (multiple takes).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hey iOS people,

I'm kind of thinking about maaaaaaybe possibly getting an iPad to replace most of my hardware gear - I love my hardware, but I really have some major issues with space and I think a compact iPad-centered solution might work for me. I'd like to ask you guys about some things that I'm still not sure about after looking at stuff on the internet, because I've done enough jumping into things without asking around and planning properly first.

App-wise I'm mostly interested in the Nanostudio and the iPolysix - do they support multiple MIDI devices? It's apparently possible to connect several separate MIDI controllers to one iPad, but would it be possible to assign, say, two keyboards to two different synths on either of these two apps while fiddling around with knobs and sliders on a NanoKONTROL (or an equivalent) to control a third synth, for example? What apps and devices would I need to do something like this? I want to be able to perform stuff live with at least two people playing synth lines live and twisting knobs and poo poo.

e: Also, how much of a hassle would such a setup be, if viable in the first place?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hey iOS people,

I'm kind of thinking about maaaaaaybe possibly getting an iPad to replace most of my hardware gear - I love my hardware, but I really have some major issues with space and I think a compact iPad-centered solution might work for me. I'd like to ask you guys about some things that I'm still not sure about after looking at stuff on the internet, because I've done enough jumping into things without asking around and planning properly first.

App-wise I'm mostly interested in the Nanostudio and the iPolysix - do they support multiple MIDI devices? It's apparently possible to connect several separate MIDI controllers to one iPad, but would it be possible to assign, say, two keyboards to two different synths on either of these two apps while fiddling around with knobs and sliders on a NanoKONTROL (or an equivalent) to control a third synth, for example? What apps and devices would I need to do something like this? I want to be able to perform stuff live with at least two people playing synth lines live and twisting knobs and poo poo.

e: Also, how much of a hassle would such a setup be, if viable in the first place?
NanoStudio has a great MIDI implementation. I never connected more than one USB keyboard to it, but you can assign an individual MIDI channel to each instrument and even map MIDI CCs to a bunch of parameters (volume, pan, XY pad axes, etc.). iPolySix only supports one MIDI device as far as I know and has fixed MIDI CC mappings.

There a a lot of great apps for the iPad, especially single instrument apps like the Korg stuff, Animoog, Tenori-On, etc. but you might need more than one iPad to really put up a performance, since there is no universal multitasking or global app management functionality. Also, sequencer apps are still not the tightest. The iPad makes a great and versatile companion, but I don't think it can replace a hardware setup or music workstation laptop yet.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FLX posted:

NanoStudio has a great MIDI implementation. I never connected more than one USB keyboard to it, but you can assign an individual MIDI channel to each instrument and even map MIDI CCs to a bunch of parameters (volume, pan, XY pad axes, etc.). iPolySix only supports one MIDI device as far as I know and has fixed MIDI CC mappings.

There a a lot of great apps for the iPad, especially single instrument apps like the Korg stuff, Animoog, Tenori-On, etc. but you might need more than one iPad to really put up a performance, since there is no universal multitasking or global app management functionality. Also, sequencer apps are still not the tightest. The iPad makes a great and versatile companion, but I don't think it can replace a hardware setup or music workstation laptop yet.

Thanks!

I dunno, it does sound like it would be plenty possible to perform live with Nanostudio if you've got a couple of keyboards and some knobs or something, at least. I would probably keep some of my hardware anyway, though, like for piano duty. Is it possible make MIDI OUT tracks in Nanostudio to control hardware synths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Is it possible make MIDI OUT tracks in Nanostudio to control hardware synths?

No, it only supports MIDI input. There are sequencer apps though like the Tenori-On App and Genome Sequencer. But as I wrote , those can be a little loose sometimes and benefit from playing alone on one iPad, without other stuff in the background.

I made two tutorial videos for the Tenori-On app, by the way:
MIDI Output: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRBbBlOciUo
MIDI Input: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-_MJoAZqo

• Locked thread