Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Genderfluid posted:

xposting from medium/large format thread

That is sweet, really making those dodgy backs look even more tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Thanks to a stupid recent equipment purchase, I am broke as hell.

I just want some cheap b&w 120 film to screw around with while I am still learning to develop. And $7.50 a roll of Tri-X/HP5 is kind of annoying when you end up with like two keepers (the shipping to Australia really bumps up the price for everything).

Ideally, I would like to pay < $4 a roll.

What is the least-lovely cheap lovely chinese film? At the moment, after scouring ebay/maco/freestyle/bh/adorama, I can find:

Shanghai GP3 100 - $2.72 (100pk), $2.75 (20pk), $2.90 (10pk)
Arista.EDU 100 - $3.68 (50pk)
Lucky 100 - $4.00 (20pk)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

joelcamefalling posted:

I just want some cheap b&w 120 film to screw around with while I am still learning to develop. And $7.50 a roll of Tri-X/HP5 is kind of annoying when you end up with like two keepers (the shipping to Australia really bumps up the price for everything).

What is the least-lovely cheap lovely chinese film? At the moment, after scouring ebay/maco/freestyle/bh/adorama, I can find:

Lucky 100 - $4.00 (20pk)

Shanghai is terrible film that smells of garlic and most likely have light leaks from the lovely backing paper. Arista EDU ultra is Foma which aside from the truly awful reciprocity is great film.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

Shanghai is terrible film that smells of garlic and most likely have light leaks from the lovely backing paper. Arista EDU ultra is Foma which aside from the truly awful reciprocity is great film.

Arista it is, then.

At least until I go to Transylvania.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

joelcamefalling posted:

Arista it is, then.

At least until I go to Transylvania.

Unrequested advice but.. I've found Foma to be more pleasant when overexposed by one stop. E.g. If you want to use it at the nominal speed, shoot it normally but push it +1 when developing. If you can't develop it yourself, shoot it -1.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

You should be able to get Fomapan 100 direct from Fomafoto for less than $4 (AUD) a roll including shipping to Australia.

If you mix it up and get some Fomapan 400 too you can push the poo poo out of it to 3200 and still get usable images.

Fomapan and Rodinal are good friends too.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

joelcamefalling posted:

Lucky 100 - $4.00 (20pk)

did you remember to subtract the 19% vat from maco? The good stuff like TMax 100 is <$4/roll*

*(+shipping)

Buy 100 rolls and shipping converges to bugger-all. Go in with another aussie if it helps (I have a non-goon friend that I split shipping costs with)

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 27, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

Spedman posted:

You should be able to get Fomapan 100 direct from Fomafoto for less than $4 (AUD) a roll including shipping to Australia.

I tried, but for I ended up with:
$6.50ish - 10r
$4.75 - 20r
$4.15 - 50r

..and after that it got more expensive, somehow.

Captain Postal posted:

did you remember to subtract the 19% vat from maco? The good stuff like TMax 100 is <$4/roll*

*(+shipping)

Buy 100 rolls and shipping converges to bugger-all. Go in with another aussie if it helps (I have a non-goon friend that I split shipping costs with)

yeah, I was logged in at the time so it showed it with 0% VAT. Tmax squeaks in just under $4/roll (AUD), at 100 rolls $4.50 with shipping.

Problem is, I don't know anyone else who shoots film around here, aside from a few holga fans... and definitely not anyone who wants fifty+ rolls of tmax.

Then again, my local photo store sells is for $13/roll, and even ebay is like $8/roll for a five pack, so I could potentially sell it at zero loss at least.

Stupid country.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Goddrat TMAX 400 is grungy at roughly ISO3200. I'm saying roughly because these pictures were a bit underexposed and I was about 15ml too short on my developer, so I developed it a bit longer than recommended. Anyways, in my hurry I made an awful mistake and forgot to add a wetting agent on last rinse. Only realised it after it dried up and cut it up. So now I got some marks in my negatives here and there. Is there any way I can rinse it again with wetting agent or is it lost?

Here are some quick scans of the roll. I didn't bother cleaning them up yet. Doing a documentary now of a local social housing, mainly inhabited by immigrants and their children. The guy on the left told me about the poo poo that goes down there. I don't know what the hell I got myself into. :ohdear:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fragrag posted:

Anyways, in my hurry I made an awful mistake and forgot to add a wetting agent on last rinse. Only realised it after it dried up and cut it up. So now I got some marks in my negatives here and there. Is there any way I can rinse it again with wetting agent or is it lost?

Sure. Grab something you can use as a developing tray, like a food storage box. Fill it with water and let your negatives soak a bit, then transfer them to another great with your wetting agent.
Carefully hang the strips to dry by the edges.

It might not be quite as good, but it's doable.
You can also re-fix like that if you notice after the fact that you used too old fixer and it left spots of emulsion on the film.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
I find that I really, really like the look of super grainy, ultra high ISO film when looking through other peoples' photos, no matter how abused it ends up looking, but I'm never satisfied when it's my own. Even Delta 400 starts to make me a bit nutty with the grain.

Also, on the not about water spots, yeah, just re-wash them in a tray or something. I've got a bunch of old rubber margarin tubs that I use for stuff like that. It actually didn't strike me until just now how weird it is that we bought margarine in 8x10" flat tubs...

I used to be really, really terrible at washing my film, completely oblivious to massive water spots like this one until after I was done scanning. Also dust. Dust everywhere.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
One of my favorite pictures I've taken is on Tri-X pushed to 6400.

D&D Night by iantuten, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

^ Always like that one.

joelcamefalling posted:

Stupid country.

Tell me about it :australia: I'd go in with you, but I've got a heap of black and white in the fridge slowly marching past it's expirery date.

And if you want to push film, I would suggest staying away from T-max as its not designed to be pushed due it's grain structure (I think that's the reason). Films like Tri-x, Fomapan and Delta push nice as they're all similar film types.

Here's some Fomapan at 3200:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Portra 160 giving me some weird colours, at least to my eye.

Ma Maison by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wine Bottles by alkanphel, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

alkanphel posted:

Portra 160 giving me some weird colours, at least to my eye.

Ma Maison by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wine Bottles by alkanphel, on Flickr

Looks magenta

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Genderfluid posted:

Looks magenta

Yeah that's what some others are saying too. Guess I need to work on my colour correction.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I really only see the magenta in the first one, the second one looks pretty good to me. What's your scanning workflow like?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

If you mix it up and get some Fomapan 400 too you can push the poo poo out of it to 3200 and still get usable images.

Here's Foma 400 pushed to 1600 and overexposed by 1 stop:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

I really only see the magenta in the first one, the second one looks pretty good to me. What's your scanning workflow like?

Using the exposure lock and film base color lock methods first to get a baseline on the negative, then scanning it and letting Vuescan invert, then trying to do WB with LR. If that fails I just open it in PS and just to use the Curves layer to set the endpoints of the individual RGB channels.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Alright, I am kicking myself in the rear end over this mistake and wondering what I can do. I use my Nikon N90s as a light meter for my medium format stuff. I thought I had it set to iso 1600 but ended up having it at iso 1000 (dumbdumbdumb) and shot a roll on medium format at that setting. I am using HP5+ so I'm not too worried about pushing it, I just don't know how long to develop for. I usually use HC-110 dilution B and develop for around 11 min at iso 1600. How would I compensate for this?

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pootiebigwang posted:

Alright, I am kicking myself in the rear end over this mistake and wondering what I can do. I use my Nikon N90s as a light meter for my medium format stuff. I thought I had it set to iso 1600 but ended up having it at iso 1000 (dumbdumbdumb) and shot a roll on medium format at that setting. I am using HP5+ so I'm not too worried about pushing it, I just don't know how long to develop for. I usually use HC-110 dilution B and develop for around 11 min at iso 1600. How would I compensate for this?

To be honest it's less than a stop mistake, it's not a huge deal. You can probably develop for 1600 and it'll look good and thick, or maybe do 10m for "normal" (EI800) development.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

pootiebigwang posted:

Well, according to digitaltruth HC-110 @ EL 1600 with HP5+ in dilution B is indeed 11:00 min. It also states 10:00 minutes for the same combination at EL 800. So 10:30 should do it just fine.

Personally, I'd just develop it at 10:00 minutes; I generally like things a bit darker. But, either way you should be fine and well within the film's margin of error.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My Pentax ME Super just came in today and I'm excited and also a bit scared. I picked up a 4-pack of cheap Fujifilm 400 to experiment with while I'm learning. So here are my stupid questions:
1) How do you properly load the film? I put the thin end into the white spool thing, spun it until it made a full rotation, shut the camera, and cranked it until the shot counter said 0. Is that all there is to it? and a follow-up to that, does the entire roll of film look like the part I saw, or does cranking it bring out the usable portion?
2) I've got most of the dials & such already figured out but on the ISO ring there are 2 options; 1 I can raise the silver ring to select the film ISO (I think) so I have that at 400. 2 There is a dial that gives me anywhere from 1/4x to 4x. What does this do? I just set it at 1x.

I've got more questions about the actual camera but that probably belongs in the ME thread.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

GobiasIndustries posted:

My Pentax ME Super just came in today and I'm excited and also a bit scared. I picked up a 4-pack of cheap Fujifilm 400 to experiment with while I'm learning. So here are my stupid questions:
1) How do you properly load the film? I put the thin end into the white spool thing, spun it until it made a full rotation, shut the camera, and cranked it until the shot counter said 0. Is that all there is to it? and a follow-up to that, does the entire roll of film look like the part I saw, or does cranking it bring out the usable portion?
2) I've got most of the dials & such already figured out but on the ISO ring there are 2 options; 1 I can raise the silver ring to select the film ISO (I think) so I have that at 400. 2 There is a dial that gives me anywhere from 1/4x to 4x. What does this do? I just set it at 1x.

I've got more questions about the actual camera but that probably belongs in the ME thread.

1: That's actual film you are looking at. If you were to load the camera in a darkbag or something you'd be able to use that bit of the film for an extra shot or two. You might need to fire/crank until you hit frame 1, but just make sure your first shot or two aren't anything you're worried about having just in case.
2: the 1/4x to 4x options are basically exposure compensation, so that you can have it meter for something different without actually changing the iso. Also you're right that you were looking at the iso.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tried using my bed for changing bag. The film ended up with a quite high Dmin. Ugh.
Any suggestions for making that work better? I'm not entirely sure if it was because of leaks by my arms or if my bedsheets just don't block enough light.

Edit: Okay tried sticking my head under the sheets, and I could still see the pattern on them clearly. Stupid thing to not check beforehand. (Got me a roll of extra low contrast HP5+!)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 2, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a better idea to use your bathroom with a towel stuffed under the door. If you have TL or LED light fixtures, wait a couple of minutes for their luminescence to disappear.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah the bathroom would have been darker after all, but there's still little cracks all around the door there, and this apartment is not mine to fix. (I'm renting a live-in room and I want to get out.)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

nielsm posted:

Yeah the bathroom would have been darker after all, but there's still little cracks all around the door there, and this apartment is not mine to fix. (I'm renting a live-in room and I want to get out.)

That blue 3M painter's tape works pretty well, and it comes in cheap, giant rolls so you don't feel too bad taping yourself in and throwing it away afterwards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy a load of black bin-liners and use those.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I used my bed up as a darkroom right up until a few months ago when I bought a changing bag to load 4x5 holders. The key is to do it at night (or at least not in direct sunlight) and use several layers of heavy blankets. I also used to wait before opening the film canister until I was sure there were no light leaks. Seriously though, buy a twenty dollar changing bag on ebay and don't look back.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Agreed, at $20, a changing bag is totally worth it. I love mine, and it's nice being able to change sheet film out of LF holders anywhere.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Finally got my first couple rolls of film developed after playing with my new AE-1

I got them developed and scanned at London Drugs, and paid a couple bucks extra for the "premium" high res scans. The files are roughly 6000x4000 pixels, but at full zoom they look extremely pixelated. Is this standard fare for labs such as this? Would love to hear from somebody who has used London Drugs specifically.

Here's a sample at 100% zoom:

Pretty by iamthejeff, on Flickr

Rawr by iamthejeff, on Flickr

Denim Dad by iamthejeff, on Flickr

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

BANME.sh posted:

Finally got my first couple rolls of film developed after playing with my new AE-1

I got them developed and scanned at London Drugs, and paid a couple bucks extra for the "premium" high res scans. The files are roughly 6000x4000 pixels, but at full zoom they look extremely pixelated. Is this standard fare for labs such as this? Would love to hear from somebody who has used London Drugs specifically.

Here's a sample at 100% zoom:

Pretty by iamthejeff, on Flickr

Rawr by iamthejeff, on Flickr

Denim Dad by iamthejeff, on Flickr

those look like absolute rear end and you got ripped off if you paid more than a dollar for those scans. it looks like they were saved as the lowest possible quality jpegs

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Yeah, I'll agree with Genderfluid; that's pretty crappy. I'll bet you could get better scans from that smartphone scanner that Lomo is coming out with.

This is a 100% crop from Precision Camera's Noritsu minilab "ultra-high res" scan (probably about the same equipment), originally 4492x6774.

It's not an Imacon-quality scan, maybe not even a V750-quality scan, but it's miles ahead of what London Drugs is trying to pass off as "quality".

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I'm on the look out for a decent used negative scanner, but until then I think I'll let the negatives pile up without paying to have them scanned :sigh:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I picked up my v600 new for only $160 and it matches or beats most lab scans. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for posting pictures on the internet and will hold you over until you decide to upgrade to the v700.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

I picked up my v600 new for only $160 and it matches or beats most lab scans. It's not perfect, but it's good enough for posting pictures on the internet and will hold you over until you decide to upgrade to the v700.

And buying a flatbed is a good excuse to buy a medium format camera.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
"You said you wanted them to be at least 4000 px wide."

"These look like rear end! You can see the pixels! You just resized small images to make them bigger!'

"But... you said you wanted them to be at least 4000 px wide..."

Technically you got what you paid for. From stupid people.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I actually didn't ask them to enlarge them, though. They offer regular scans and premium scans for a couple bucks more. So really, they're just lying to people. I'm going to bring them back tomorrow and see what they say, but I wouldn't expect them to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, I'm willing to bet their "premium" is just a resize of their regular scan.

It's got bigger numbers! That counts!

Just try to be clear about how their "premium" scans don't have any more detail than their regular, they're just bigger files. Who knows, maybe they'll get it and go "oh, wow, that makes sense, no one's told us that before" and that London Drugs will become a Mecca of quality consumer services.

Or maybe they'll at least give you your couple dollars back.