Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

thehappyprince posted:

Yeah it was the 'Broad back into form' bit that I took issue with. As if it doesn't matter about what players are actually doing in matches because the favourites are just going to get picked anyway on the basis of what might happen if the stars align for them.

It's the kind of nonsense that kept Harmison around for so long when he was obviously The World's Blubberingest Vagina and got Giles picked for potential runs down the order.

It's loving stupid and I want to go on record as saying it's stupid and I don't like it.

It was just a silly Sky advert for the Ashes, it had Botham adding "with his bat" to the Broad comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

it's indicative of the whole selection process though

i remember before 2009 or whatever year it was when the sky team were debating whether giles should be in the team and i was sat there thinking surely no one could be that foolish and then we found out that yes, yes they could

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

tanglewood1420 posted:

It was only really the 80s and 90s that England didn't have at least one quality spin bowler.

Peter Such got 11 Test Caps.

Ian Salisbury got 15 Test Caps.

Those were harrowing days to be an England supporter.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
AKA The good old days.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I kind of miss being completely poo poo tbh.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I kind of miss being completely poo poo tbh.

Soon, mate, soon. The Giles-Broad era is nearly upon us. Just need to find a way to get Cook out of the equation, the rest will take care of themselves.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I just looked up Ashley Giles and it turns out I had him confused with Darren Gough.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

kill you are self

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Well, you all seem to hate Giles and I remember Gough looking like a oval office so I just made that connection. I don't remember him at all. :confused:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mister Chief posted:

Well, you all seem to hate Giles and I remember Gough looking like a oval office so I just made that connection. I don't remember him at all. :confused:
Giles was basically a left-arm spinner who didn't turn the ball very much and often bowled negative lines (i.e. over the wicket to right handers) and was in large part picked because he could bat a bit and was a decent fielder at gully.

Personally I didn't mind him (in a "he's not very good, but he tries hard and he keeps an end quiet so we can rotate the quicks" sort of way) until 2006-ish when Monty Panesar burst onto the scene by being an actually good left-arm spinner - albeit one who couldn't bat or catch.

Fletcher and Vaughan generally preferred to use Giles when they could (he was also Vaughan's best mate), much to the frustration of those who wanted to see Panesar in the side. Giles was eventually turfed out after the Adelaide 06/07 debacle, along with Geraint Jones.

Darren Gough by contrast was pretty much England's best bowler of the 90s and early 00s (when he wasn't injured) and is generally highly respected.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Darren Gough Own Zone

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Remember that? Remember when Panesar was our leading wicket taker in the previous series and we dropped him for Giles because Giles could bat and field even though giles had only played 1 game because of injury and then Giles dropped Ponting on 30 odd and he went on and made a century and Giles scored 0 in that second innings? Ha ha ha funny old life

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Gough is way worse than Giles, turns out he's a massive Tory. What a traitor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not like that's uncommon. Loads of cricketers went to public school and are Tory cunts.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Darren Gough is common as gently caress though

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Peer pressure is a terrible thing.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I don't have a problem with cricketers being Tories. Common as muck Barnsley people I do though.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Isn't Strauss literally being groomed to become a Tory MP?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Someone told me that Adam Gilchrist was pretty far left. I loved the man already but if thats true then hes one of my idols.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I don't respect anyone who isn't an anarchist tbh

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356469/Cash-internships-Tory-backers-pay-2k-time-buy-children-work-experience.html#ixzz2MFCiHSk4

quote:

£25,000 for a golf round with Andrew Strauss

Ashes hero: Andrew Strauss, with his wife Ruth, was a prize in a Conservative Party fund-raising auction
England cricket captain Andrew Strauss came out to bat for the Tories by offering himself as a prize in the party’s fund-raising auction.
Guests made bids to spend a day with the Ashes hero playing golf at the prestigious Stoke Park country club in Buckinghamshire. The winner paid £25,000.
As the auction was taking place, Strauss, 33, was flying back from Australia, where he became the first England captain to win the Ashes Down Under since 1986.
The prize details read: ‘Andrew Strauss, the first man to lead England to Ashes glory abroad in 25 years, is challenging you and 11 guests to a full round of golf at the prestigious Stoke Park Country Club.
‘Afterwards, a three-course meal will be laid on, where the conversation will range from golfing anecdotes to tales of Ashes glory.’

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was nice of him to take his mum out with him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Strauss is a Home Counties boy. He lives in Chalfont St Giles (same place Nick Clegg was born) and used to play for Gerrards Cross. As someone whos lived just on the outskirts of Buckinghamshire for most of his life, I'd be shocked if he didn't turn out to be a Tory.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Plus born in South Africa and his dad worked for BP or something like that

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

It was nice of him to take his mum out with him.

He looks like he put on at least 10kg since his retirement. That's a bit sad, even if he is a Tory poo poo.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

foie gras is very high in fat

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

He looks like he put on at least 10kg since his retirement. That's a bit sad, even if he is a Tory poo poo.

That photo is from 2011 at the latest...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Australian top order besides Clarke hasn't scored a century since the South African Series.

Shane Watson hasn't scored a century since July 2010 and one of his two centuries was scored under suspect circumstances. (Pakistan performance in 2009 was dodgy to say the least. He was also dropped on 99 was he not ?)

His batting average is 39 and his statistics under Clarke are:

13 tests, 24 innings an average of 27 and 4 50s.

If he can't bowl he simply is not good enough at the moment. On top of all that he is terrible between the wickets, one of the most selfish batsmen of all time and is a bit of a nob.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Then drop him and replace him with one of them many other talented batsmen that Australia have waiting in the wings. Oh wait.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
He is 31 and injury prone. He is the worst performing batsman out of the top order. (Hughes is going past 50 slightly more often than Watson is). I would happily drop him for just about any half decent batsman in the country. In fact I just started my post to comment on how the other batsmen aren't pulling their weight but it turned into an anti Watson post. That is how much I hate Shane Watson at the moment.

He needs to score some serious runs or gently caress off into the night.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He is 31 and injury prone. He is the worst performing batsman out of the top order. (Hughes is going past 50 slightly more often than Watson is). I would happily drop him for just about any half decent batsman in the country. In fact I just started my post to comment on how the other batsmen aren't pulling their weight but it turned into an anti Watson post. That is how much I hate Shane Watson at the moment.

He needs to score some serious runs or gently caress off into the night.

But his form in the T20 series cant be ignored :v:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mickey Arthur on Mitchell Starc (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...0-1226588491499)

quote:

“For Starcy, it was his first time in these conditions as well so he would have grown massively from this Test," Arthur said.

"He went over, he came round, he tried all possible ways.

"The ball didn’t reverse as much as we thought it would and that’s something we need to look at as well.

"When the ball reverses, he generally comes into his own.

"I’m not sure he needs a massive lift, he would have just learnt massively from the experience of being out here.

"I think he’ll grow from that because Starcy has got so much potential."

Is it a requirement to talk like a dumb high-schooler when you're a cricket coach? It's as if he was only given 20 different words to play with.

Anyway, glad to see they're not dropping Pattinson, though if I were an Aussie supporter I'd be worried when Shane Watson is evaluating the pitch and declaring it to be like the Gabba, he's not the sharpest brain (cricket or otherwise) in that particular brain trust.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mister Chief posted:

Then drop him and replace him with one of them many other talented batsmen that Australia have waiting in the wings. Oh wait.

MiJo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorn Myson posted:

Someone told me that Adam Gilchrist was pretty far left. I loved the man already but if thats true then hes one of my idols.

I'd heard something similar. There wuld have been some interesting conversations in the dressing room with McGrath currently being groomed to represent the Nationals and Hayden being a born again happy clapper.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Oh and I heard that the reason O'Keefe isn't getting picked is because he's on a blacklist for telling a few people (Clarke, some CA folk) where to go.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Where?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

4liters posted:

Oh and I heard that the reason O'Keefe isn't getting picked is because he's on a blacklist for telling a few people (Clarke, some CA folk) where to go.

Wouldnt surprise me. This Aussie team reminds me of the horrible days of Vaughan's buddy club, where if your face didnt fit you werent going to get in, regardless of ability.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Wouldnt surprise me. This Aussie team reminds me of the horrible days of Vaughan's buddy club, where if your face didnt fit you werent going to get in, regardless of ability.

Gotta say I'm getting a bit worried about Clarke's off field behavior. What I read about O'Keefe and Clarke as about as much credibility as the stuff about Clarke cracking the shits at Hussey's retirement pissup (that is to say, they're just rumours), but the more things like this come out the more I worry that he'll cause some major falling out between key players at some stage. I mean he's a top batsman and all, but if he's an unlikable antisocial shithead with poor leadership skills maybe someone else needs to be skipper.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

4liters posted:

Gotta say I'm getting a bit worried about Clarke's off field behavior. What I read about O'Keefe and Clarke as about as much credibility as the stuff about Clarke cracking the shits at Hussey's retirement pissup (that is to say, they're just rumours), but the more things like this come out the more I worry that he'll cause some major falling out between key players at some stage. I mean he's a top batsman and all, but if he's an unlikable antisocial shithead with poor leadership skills maybe someone else needs to be skipper.

True, but if he throws his dummy out the pram and retires from International cricket because he's not captain you have zero world class players left in your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

True, but if he throws his dummy out the pram and retires from International cricket because he's not captain you have zero world class players left in your team.

:colbert:

• Locked thread