Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

duralict posted:

They run special fast ferries about every 15 minutes on the night itself, and any guesthouse on Samui will be able to set it up for you. The FMP is not remotely underground, it's not exactly a challenge to get out to it from anywhere in the general region.

Do the ferries run throughout the night or just up to a certain time? Just peace-ing out of that entire island wouldn't exactly be a bad thing, and you get a nice night boat ride out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

lol internet. posted:

I never actually tried this but I read online that at the end of the night, it's not a pleasant sight to see thousands of people trying to get a boat back to Samui. Also, people pee in that beach the whole night. I wouldn't really want to be going into it after to get on a boat.

Ha, the ferry doesn't go to the actual beach, it stops at a jetty on the other side of town (Haad Rin has beaches on both sides and is only a few blocks across). You only have to wade on the Samui side, and even then only if you're not great at timing it. I had no trouble getting a return ferry but I also bailed at about 4 AM, I wouldn't even bother trying to use the return ticket at like 10 AM or whatever. And I have kind of a high opinion of the whole thing because they found an ipod on the boat after we'd disembarked on the return and they actually put a fair amount of effort into finding its owner before the cars left. (it was me, I was the idiot who brought valuables to the fmp). Basically they're a really good option if you want to go to the FMP but you're not planning on spending 12 hours there, if you want to get crunk and pass out on the beach you should probably try and find a place to stay close enough for you to walk home when you wake up with no money and only one thong.

And yes they do run all night.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

duralict posted:

Ha, the ferry doesn't go to the actual beach, it stops at a jetty on the other side of town (Haad Rin has beaches on both sides and is only a few blocks across). You only have to wade on the Samui side, and even then only if you're not great at timing it. I had no trouble getting a return ferry but I also bailed at about 4 AM, I wouldn't even bother trying to use the return ticket at like 10 AM or whatever. And I have kind of a high opinion of the whole thing because they found an ipod on the boat after we'd disembarked on the return and they actually put a fair amount of effort into finding its owner before the cars left. (it was me, I was the idiot who brought valuables to the fmp). Basically they're a really good option if you want to go to the FMP but you're not planning on spending 12 hours there, if you want to get crunk and pass out on the beach you should probably try and find a place to stay close enough for you to walk home when you wake up with no money and only one thong.

And yes they do run all night.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the longtail boats.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Sheep-Goats posted:

When you hear upper class Thai people throw an English phrase into their speech with Thai friends, if you ask them why they do that, they will never say "To be snotty" or "To sound fancy" but instead "It's easier to say that than say it in Thai." It's the facility with English that is cool, not so much the English itself.

Same deal in Malaysia. I was in a car the other day with a bunch of Cantonese speakers, who all speak perfect English but default to Cantonese just because... I guess it's their first language. Anyway, one of the guys was getting married the next day and in the midst of all the Cantonese jabbering he let rip with "stressed to the max!" It's fairly common - I asked my friend about it and amongst friends who speak four languages, he uses Cantonese primarily but often uses whatever language is easier to say something in. Often English, but it could be Mandarin or Hokkien or Finnish or English or whatever.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

What is the best way to travel from Bangkok to Ko Pha-Ngan for the Full Moon Party? I was thinking about staying on Ko Samui for a couple days leading up to it and taking a ferry there the day of. Is that realistic / stupid?

Train 85 from Bangkok to Surat Thani. Second class aircon sleeper, then Lomprayah catamaran (spend the 100 baht for the VIP room, it is awesome) to Samui or Phangan: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Ko Samui

Samui is pretty average - Phangan is much nicer, particularly if you stay somewhere other than Haad Rin or Thong Sala. Haad Kuat or Thong Nai Pan Yai/Noi are good choices.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 26, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

love me some bottle beach on phangan

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

eviljelly posted:

love me some bottle beach on phangan

Almost killed myself getting down that hill on my dirt bike, but it was quite nice once you got there. I am also rather partial to Haad Salad.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What is Ao Thong Nai Pan like these days? I haven't been back in years and years.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
We're considering Thailand as a honeymoon destination and was hoping for some advice on itineraries. This would be in August. Here is what we're currently thinking:

Day 1: Arrive at BKK at 11:00pm
Day 2: Bangkok
Day 3: Bangkok, overnight train to Chiang Mai
Day 4: Chiang Mai
Day 5: Chiang Mai
Day 6: Northern Thailand
Day 7: Northern Thailand
Day 8: Northern Thailand
Day 9: Travel day (Chiang Mai to Ko Samui)
Day 10: Ko Samui
Day 11: Ko Samui
Day 12: Ko Samui
Day 13: Ko Samui
Day 14: Ko Samui
Day 15: Ko Samui
Day 16: Travel day (Ko Samui to Bangkok)
Day 17: Bangkok
Day 18: Bangkok, 11:00pm flight home

Anything you all would change? Is this too much time in Ko Samui? Is Ko Samui a good relaxing beach choice? Neither of us dive. We're also not the crazy crazy party type although we both do enjoy drinking. Is there another location we should add? We had originally thought about adding in some time in Cambodia by shortening the Ko Samui and Northern Thailand portions but I am worried that it would be too much traveling.

And ReindeerF, I really want to go for a run with you when I'm there. Your routes look awesome and I am perpetually jealous.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I think it's one of the more sensible first-shot itineraries we've seen in a while here. With that said, let me put in my two cents. Some furriners that I hung out with for two weeks when I first traveled here were at the end of their year or two of being teachers around the region. I told them I hadn't seen Angkor and they were like apoplectic. Then I said, "I guess it's like going to Florida and not seeing Disneyworld" and they made fun of me for the next couple of days.

Anyway, the point is that I'd hate for you guys to come all this way and skip Angkor for Samui. Northern Thailand's great, yadda yadda, but cut one day off of that and three days off of Samui and add a trip to Siem Reap (I'm allowing for travel there). Siem Reap's only 7-8 hours overland from Bangkok by bus and they run a direct government bus service now, so while it's easier to fly if you have money, you can also bus it easily if you're backpacking. Personally, I prefer Phangan to Samui, but I've had tons of fun on Samui as well, so I won't warn you off.

Mostly, it looks like a very sensible itinerary, but I would stress a trip to Siem Reap. Angkor is one of the only things in my life that's lived up to the hype. I haven't been in years and I'm sure it's overcrowded, but it's still just an amazing thing. Much of it actually looks every bit as real as you imagine and Ta Phrom was mind-blowing when I saw it - even went for a jog around the jungle surrounding it.

On that note, I'll be happy to take you for a run, just tell me how much time you have, how long you can run and what day and I'll gin up a honeymoon run for you, heh.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Angkor is one of the only things in my life that's lived up to the hype. I haven't been in years and I'm sure it's overcrowded, but it's still just an amazing thing. Much of it actually looks every bit as real as you imagine and Ta Phrom was mind-blowing when I saw it - even went for a jog around the jungle surrounding it.

I have to agree. It's one of the most extraordinary things on Earth, the only other things I've ever seen that are in the same category are the Pyramids and Petra.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And Disneyworld.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Don't not go to Angkor you dufus

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
I'll be in Bangkok on the evening of the 28th and could go for a run. I will be alone. I really needed to get out of Beijing and the airpocalypse.

I'm relishing at the thought of being able to run outside without sputtering like a lung cancer patient and developing a migraine.

nugzseeker 2
Feb 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

B-Rad posted:

I'll be in Bangkok on the evening of the 28th and could go for a run. I will be alone. I really needed to get out of Beijing and the airpocalypse.

I'm relishing at the thought of being able to run outside without sputtering like a lung cancer patient and developing a migraine.

If you're near, Lumpini Park is a good place for running, it's where I've been going. There are giant lizards to chill with afterwards too.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

B-Rad posted:

When Bangkok is an eco-tourism destination for you, you know things are bad.

What part of town you staying in?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yeah, Angkor is definitely a must-see.

Has anyone been Prambanan and/or Borobudor in Java? Are they at least in the same ballpark as Angkor Wat?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
They're both excellent, but a lot smaller than Angkor. The sheer number of temples makes Angkor much more impressive and also suitable to spend multiple days. Borobudur and Prambanan can quite easily be done in one day (though I did two).

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I did Prambanan, it was meh. Quite expensive for foreigners and the main temple was closed for reparations (that was last year). Full of tourists, under the hot sun, many smaller temples also closed. Not a bad afternoon but nothing I wrote home about.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Borobudur was way cool, and I'd rank it up there with some of the better of the Angkor temples... maybe on a level with Bayon or Angkor Thom. I really enjoyed working my way up and seeing the different levels of Borobudur and the carvings depicting the level of ascension you were supposed to be at or whatever. But like Rojkir said, they're smaller than Angkor. There's only the one place and then you're done. I haven't been to Prambanan though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Senso posted:

I did Prambanan, it was meh. Quite expensive for foreigners and the main temple was closed for reparations (that was last year). Full of tourists, under the hot sun, many smaller temples also closed. Not a bad afternoon but nothing I wrote home about.

What was the price? I thought the Angkor pass was quite expensive.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Only by local standards. It's $20 for a day pass, $40 for a three-day, or $60 for a week. Also you're allowed in at around 5-6 PM the day before your pass officially starts, presumably so people get to see the sunset twice without paying extra.

Overall you're looking at probably about $100-200 dollars for the whole excursion, depending on how long you stayed. And if you have some extra cash you can fly straight from Siem Reap to Samui.

duralict fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 27, 2013

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks for the advice, all. We're definitely going to add Angkor in. I just wish flights weren't so drat expensive to and from Siem Reap.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

lol internet. posted:

What was the price? I thought the Angkor pass was quite expensive.

It's been a year but I remember something like $2 for locals and $15 for foreigners. I was with a Vietnamese colleague who doesn't make much and he was pissed because when they do that in Vietnam, he gets the local treatment. And frankly, $10 or $15 for Pranbanan to see a few ruins from the outside in 1-2 hours, not that impressed. And I'm a history geek. At that point I'd rather go to a museum and see a bunch of pieces on displays with descriptions and context.

But, your mileage may vary, etc. I heard that Borobudur was much better and bigger than Pranbanan.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bergeoisie posted:

Thanks for the advice, all. We're definitely going to add Angkor in. I just wish flights weren't so drat expensive to and from Siem Reap.

It's a honeymoon and Angkor is awesome. Spend the cash. Remember, every day you're there is already costing you a hundred or so bucks thanks to the transpacific ticket averaged out, so don't spend all that time/money getting there and then cheap out if you really don't have to.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's a honeymoon and Angkor is awesome. Spend the cash. Remember, every day you're there is already costing you a hundred or so bucks thanks to the transpacific ticket averaged out, so don't spend all that time/money getting there and then cheap out if you really don't have to.

We are. I'm just going to complain about it. It's a hell of a lot better than the long bus rides.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Senso posted:

It's been a year but I remember something like $2 for locals and $15 for foreigners. I was with a Vietnamese colleague who doesn't make much and he was pissed because when they do that in Vietnam, he gets the local treatment. And frankly, $10 or $15 for Pranbanan to see a few ruins from the outside in 1-2 hours, not that impressed. And I'm a history geek. At that point I'd rather go to a museum and see a bunch of pieces on displays with descriptions and context.

But, your mileage may vary, etc. I heard that Borobudur was much better and bigger than Pranbanan.

I liked Prambanan way more. I was just super impressed by the architecture. The main temple was restored and you could go in wearing a helmet they supplied. Both Borubudur and Prambana were $20 for foreigners and with both I got half off because I told them I was a student an gave them my Dutch public transport card as a student ID. Locals go in for about $2. You're also supposed to wear a Sarong which is kind of annoying, but hey everyone does it so that makes it a shared burden.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Just for perspective, $15 is a movie ticket in the US, and $20 is about what it costs to get inside most large for-profit museums. The London Eye is more like $40. Petra, which is a comparable size to the Angkor complex but significantly easier to maintain, is $80. Don't get too hung up on prices, as long as you actually have the money. You're getting a really good deal even if it's not as good a deal as everything else in southeast asia.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not the most popular option, but if you have time I'd seriously recommend Bangkok, Chantanbrui -> Baan Prakard -> Battambang -> Siem Reap at least one way so you can see the countryside. It's worth the slight extra hassle. Hell, I'll even chaperone!

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
If you can splurge, stay here in Siem Reap(technically outside of Siem Reap town);

http://www.sojournsiemreap.com/sojourn-villas.php

We were there last month and its incredible. We did basically the same itinerary you're looking at, it was:

BKK -> Siem Reap -> Phnom Pehn -> Ko Lanta -> Bangkok

I liked Ko Lanta because its incredibly laid back, but if you want a livelier nightlife, there are probably better islands.

Also, if you want a recommendation for a guide in Angkor, let me know and I can send you the name of the guy we used. He was awesome.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

What is Ao Thong Nai Pan like these days? I haven't been back in years and years.

Families, couples and Russians of all shapes and sizes. Plus a few bug-eyed solo backpackers and people taking those photos of themselves jumping on the beach.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Any expats in Taiping, Malaysia? There's a dead drop just outside town waiting to be recovered as part of an ARG (Alternate Reality Game). More info here: http://otp22.referata.com/wiki/Malaysia_rest_stop_drop It seems to be a pretty large ARG with dead drops around the world. They still don't know who's behind it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Noooo. My secluded island paradise :(

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Eh, well, it's not too different from the rest of the island but in notably smaller numbers. Chalaklum is pretty vacant, though, although the beach sucks. Good food at least.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I really haven't been back to KPG in probably 4-5 years, so I can't complain or anything. I just remember Ao Thong Nai Pan as this bungalowish, difficult to reach place where I spent the last two weeks of my first trip ten years ago this year. I don't want to imagine it full of Russian tourists and resorts and poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, I really haven't been back to KPG in probably 4-5 years, so I can't complain or anything. I just remember Ao Thong Nai Pan as this bungalowish, difficult to reach place where I spent the last two weeks of my first trip ten years ago this year. I don't want to imagine it full of Russian tourists and resorts and poo poo.

When I went back to Koh Phangan on my last visit I was telling people "oh there's a town but it stops after a bit and we just ride through the jungle until we get to the beach in the south." The road has bulidings on both sides of it all the way from the north to the south now.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We need a crying Becki flag.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Any KL goons here? Headed there tomorrow with no real plans, just need to get out of Thailand. Thinking about checking out Melaka also, worth it for a couple days?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Malacca's nice enough, but nothing about it really stands out - it was a very important mercantile/naval hub for a couple hundred years, but not a lot of that's still around. I had a nice time there but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get there (basically, unless you were planning on going overland all the way to Singapore). Go to Penang instead (it's basically the same but more).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

duralict posted:

Malacca's nice enough, but nothing about it really stands out - it was a very important mercantile/naval hub for a couple hundred years, but not a lot of that's still around. I had a nice time there but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get there (basically, unless you were planning on going overland all the way to Singapore). Go to Penang instead (it's basically the same but more).

I hit Penang last year, so I was looking to check somewhere else out. I could just do KL too, just saw Melaka wasn't far from KL. Not heading to Singapore as i'm flying out of KL eventually to Cambodia.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anyone have any clubbing suggestions in Saigon? Going there this weekend and hitting the ground with basically no plans. I prefer underground electronic music but failing that, indie rock is also cool. We're coming from Singapore, the land of the $10 lager so basically anywhere that offers a non-douchey atmosphere is fine, I don't mind if it's mostly expats.

Restaurant recommendations would be great too, when in SEA I usually have any nice dinners in BKK or SGN because Singapore prices are ridiculous.

Thanks!