Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I see why, because there needs to be an extra keyframe or three between him landing and bending over because it's too jittery of motion

Maybe as a gif but in the original net comic form I think it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

It's a valid complaint, since if you took away the art and summed it into words the past month of Onepunch-Man would be "A month ago, Genos ran toward the meteor and got an upgrade. Two weeks later, a dude appeared."

I'm perfectly okay with that because I'm a huge nerd but I can easily see why someone wouldn't be.

I kind of think that's the joke. Its like Murata is trolling the readers.

All those panels to introduce that one character which could have been all accomplished in that last panel when Genos appears out of no where and says basically "hey".

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

dogpower posted:

I kind of think that's the joke. Its like Murata is trolling the readers.

All those panels to introduce that one character which could have been all accomplished in that last panel when Genos appears out of no where and says basically "hey".

Nah. I think it's more because to Japanese readers, all of the story is already up on ONE's page to read any time they want. So the only point to Murata's version is the art; there's no real reason for him to rush the plot and instead he can devote his time to making gorgeous art Just Because.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus gently caress! Murata is both incredibly talented and must truly love his work. Goddamn, that's a million times more effort put into a gag manga than pretty much anybody else's work in serious ones.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Jesus gently caress! Murata is both incredibly talented and must truly love his work. Goddamn, that's a million times more effort put into a gag manga than pretty much anybody else's work in serious ones.

Oh this is serious business. :colbert:

Caeruleas
Mar 5, 2007
This too shall pass
Those of you watching Murata's ustream probably knows this, but to those of you who think the blurring is done digitally? It's not. Not the foreground stuff, anyway. I didn't watch enough of his stream to catch him working on backgrounds, but I happened onto the stream when he was working on the one panel with the close-up of the barrels blurring by, and I was stunned that it was entirely done by hand.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

AnonSpore posted:

Nah. I think it's more because to Japanese readers, all of the story is already up on ONE's page to read any time they want. So the only point to Murata's version is the art; there's no real reason for him to rush the plot and instead he can devote his time to making gorgeous art Just Because.

Yeah, I understand why some people would be upset with the pacing if this is your first time with the story, but this is literally a 'cover' of ONE's webcomic by Murata. And as a 'cover', Murata's version is wholly and completely about doing manga art the way he wants to and at his pace.

With this project, Murata's completely free to do the art however the gently caress he wants, and you can just tell that he's having a fantastic time.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Something is streaming: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

OH yeaaaaaaah.

This is the good stuff.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Murata has actually been streaming pretty much every day since I first posted the link. You can follow him on twitter for notices on when he starts.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
Yesterday, he said the chapter he's working on now is going to be 65 pages and full color at that! I think he finished all the rough underdrawings yesterday, he's been inking like a madman today.

He showed off volume 3's cover earlier today, it's got a nifty gimmick where you pull the dust cover up and then...

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I'm in love with just how much freedom they're giving Murata to do whatever he wants creatively and artistically :allears:! With how popular I'm sure this will become over time, I really hope it will start a trend for other artists.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I love the freedom Murata is getting too, but two issues of transformation scenes and no content...
Lets just say I'm getting angsty waiting for the next issue.

So this is what being a fangirl feels like.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Gorp posted:

All I am thinking about is not getting my hopes up, I know it will be good but dont want to think about how amazing it coukd be in case it isnt.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

All I am thinking about is not getting my hopes up, I know it will be good but dont want to think about how amazing it coukd be in case it isnt.

I've probably seen like 90% of the chapter finished on the live stream throughout the past couple weeks and it's really impressive looking. Murata missed the deadline by a few hours (he said that he and his assistants finally got it finished and turned in at like 5am yesterday). I have no idea when it's actually going up, but presumably it could be any time now since the files are in. I'm getting really impatient because it's got some really fantastic pages, complete with a lengthy "animated" segment at the end, and Murata worked so hard on it (he was up for almost three days straight at one point).

[EDIT] And it's up: http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/26/

The bit at the end was more broken up than I'd thought from watching the stream, but it still looks fantastic.

Good_Haro fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 22, 2013

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Holy gently caress what amazing art and coloring. I need to stop questioning why it seems like chapters come so slowly.

I can't read a word of this, but holy hell is this awesome. Loving that Saitama basically still destroyed the city... but less so. Too bad that giant robot dude will probably get credit for it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He never fails to amaze. Jesus. Can't wait until I can actually understand it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That reflective metal. That reflective bald head. :allears:

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.
This panel has one of my favorite details in the chapter:

Look closely and you can see Genos reflected in Metal Knight's armor in a few different spots.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Good_Haro posted:

This panel has one of my favorite details in the chapter:

:staredog:

Holy poo poo, Kurata is a loving monster.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler gif that isn't greatly timed (don't click if you don't want to know): http://i.imgur.com/quoRXwz.gif

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Good_Haro posted:

I've probably seen like 90% of the chapter finished on the live stream throughout the past couple weeks and it's really impressive looking. Murata missed the deadline by a few hours (he said that he and his assistants finally got it finished and turned in at like 5am yesterday). I have no idea when it's actually going up, but presumably it could be any time now since the files are in. I'm getting really impatient because it's got some really fantastic pages, complete with a lengthy "animated" segment at the end, and Murata worked so hard on it (he was up for almost three days straight at one point).

[EDIT] And it's up: http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/26/

The bit at the end was more broken up than I'd thought from watching the stream, but it still looks fantastic.

I find that site really hard to navigate. But Jesus, those panels, it's like I'm watching an anime.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Realistically speaking if he really had shattered it that close to impact, the chunks wouldn't have scattered far enough to avoid doing more or less the same damage that it would have done had it been completely solid. It's like the difference between a rock hitting you in the gut, or an equal mass of gravel hitting you in the gut in roughly the same area.

I guess you could imagine that he vaporized some of it, but you'd still have the problem of a massive amount of vaporized white-hot rock-gas smashing into a city. Also, it would've been surrounded by a fireball and the shock-front of its approach through the atmosphere would've probably leveled the city long before it actually hit the ground.

But whatever. Anime~ :japan: The chapter, especially the animated bit at the end, was incredible. This comic works so well in color, I almost wish he had a dedicated colorist like in American comics.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Gorp posted:

I love the freedom Murata is getting too, but two issues of transformation scenes and no content...
Lets just say I'm getting angsty waiting for the next issue.

What you've gotta realize is that Onepunch Man is a shaggy dog story. The ending is weak by itself, but it gets stronger and stronger based on how much buildup there is. Two complete issues of transformation sequences is par for the course.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Fuuuuuuck. That artwork, that sense of motion. I think I haven't truly realized how much manga is missing out on from mostly being black and white until now. He's actually evolving the medium with this highly kinetic, animated style.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Murata is a god of comics.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrSunshine posted:

Realistically speaking if he really had shattered it that close to impact, the chunks wouldn't have scattered far enough to avoid doing more or less the same damage that it would have done had it been completely solid. It's like the difference between a rock hitting you in the gut, or an equal mass of gravel hitting you in the gut in roughly the same area.

I guess you could imagine that he vaporized some of it, but you'd still have the problem of a massive amount of vaporized white-hot rock-gas smashing into a city. Also, it would've been surrounded by a fireball and the shock-front of its approach through the atmosphere would've probably leveled the city long before it actually hit the ground.

But whatever. Anime~ :japan: The chapter, especially the animated bit at the end, was incredible. This comic works so well in color, I almost wish he had a dedicated colorist like in American comics.

Maybe he'd slowed its momentum down to nothing with the force of the impact. Like a baseball being hit by a bat, except in this case more like a baseball being shot by a bullet.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There is a sublime level of comedy on display in the juxtaposition between Murata's lusciously drawn, meticulously colored artwork that has been building to a head over the course of two chapters and Saitama being soooooo stupid you guys

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Liar posted:

Maybe he'd slowed its momentum down to nothing with the force of the impact. Like a baseball being hit by a bat, except in this case more like a baseball being shot by a bullet.

He probably slowed it down enough it won't totally level the city, but it'll still do a lot of damage. As long as his apartment isn't destroyed, though, Saitama probably won't care. That and the grocery store. Gotta get those bargains!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

That last page is too perfect.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Man the mangapanda quick translation that has shown up is horrible. I'll just ignore all the words until a proper group gets involved and instead worship at the shrine of Murata. Simply awe inspiring.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Translation by Boon is up

And once again, HOLY CRAP :magical:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just started reading this, and I gotta say I love it so far. I'm up to the evolution guy, punch number 8? I think it is. Really looking forward to reading more soon!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

God drat Murata is amazing

that last page is wonderful :allears:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I mean I know everyone's saying it already but holy poo poo Murata.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Goddamn, page 27. Look at the ground!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Well, I guess that takes care of it.

God Saitama is great.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So what are the chances that Saitama will take the fall for the entire no-win scenario, even if he did pull out something better than what anyone dreamed for?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Saitama pushed the entire building into the ground when he jumped, I didn't see it before. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It makes sense to me now why the kill-a-roid didn't just splash down like a reasonable Newtonian object. Geno's beam apparently slowed its velocity enough such that it was momentarily nearly motionless.