Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Triforce is picking a top tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Coca Koala posted:

That's bizarre. I wonder what Empire Arcadia can offer Dieminion that BT can't?

"from what i've heard, kevin was offered a large sum of money upfront + paid travel to a lot of events. i don't offer salaries for players or signing bonuses, and maybe that's just what he wanted. ultimately it's all good :3 i'll just have to work harder to be the best team in the fgc again"

That's what Koogy posted on NeoGaf about this. If you also read the comments from that link above he also says that Dieminion never told him that he was leaving BT and that he found out via some third party. Dieminion is going to be in a bad position if VxG ever stops being partners with EMP which doesn't seem all that unlikely to me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gotta register emp_dieminion_no_really_emp_dieminion now.

VXG has some cash going, I'm guessing, EMP is still EMP.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Dieminion was EMP for years, he came up with those guys, so it's no surprise that he's going back to his home crew if they have actual dollars for sponsorship.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I thought he had some really big problem with Triforce, but money does have a way of easing tensions (if in fact he really did have some problem with Triforce)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Dias posted:

VXG has some cash going, I'm guessing, EMP is still EMP.
I remember hearing last year that VxG is funded by the St. Maarten government which is how they're able to throw so much money around.

In other news, details for the Curleh Mustache Battle Royal at Final Round were released. 5v5, teams by region and must be approved by Yipes, double elimination, Pokemon style sets. Should be fun.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

iPodschun posted:

I remember hearing last year that VxG is funded by the St. Maarten government which is how they're able to throw so much money around.

In other news, details for the Curleh Mustache Battle Royal at Final Round were released. 5v5, teams by region and must be approved by Yipes, double elimination, Pokemon style sets. Should be fun.

What does Pokemon styled sets mean?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

Winner stays basically. So if your first team member never loses, the other team members don't have to play.

E: This is opposed to Waseda style, where if each team has members A, B, C, D, and E, the matches go:
A vs A
B vs B
C vs C
etc. until every player on one team has been eliminated.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 26, 2013

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

ToastyPotato posted:

Probably that the team captain chooses which player to send out when the previous one loses.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Winner stays basically. So if your first team member never loses, the other team members don't have to play.

E: This is opposed to Waseda style, where if each team has members A, B, C, D, and E, the matches go:
A vs A
B vs B
C vs C
etc. until every player on one team has been eliminated.

Oh... I thought that was the standard anyway? I mean, from most major events that I can remember in the past year or so with team tourneys at least. Well, at least for Marvel...

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Probably that the team captain chooses which player to send out when the previous one loses.

Yes this is also one of the rules for pokemon style.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
NLBC is live now over at http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky;, Chris G isn't in attendance so Marvel is going to be a lot more interesting!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Triforce announced an 80% likelihood that Mike Ross goes East Coast and joins EMP. Also, another East Coast player will be joining EMP, and everyone thinks it is Yipes...

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
:aaaaa: Triforce just said on Spooky's stream that he's in talks to get Mike Ross on EMP!

I don't even know what to think :psyduck:.

edit: beaten :( I really hope Yipes doesn't jump from Brokentier. VxG sounds pretty legit now, but still.

Vertigo Ambrosia fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 28, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Don't think it's been posted before, so here's the trailer for ECT8. Probably the best fgc tournament trailer I've seen since that one early Tougeki one that had the closeup on Urien's thong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Welp, seeing as Triforce just threw it to Yipes so cordially, I think it is safe to say that Yipes is probably also going EMP. I mean, for Yipes to come down to a weekly, from the Bronx, and not playing, the same week Triforce is there talking business on stream? Pretty weird stuff.

Serious WCW Nitro vibes with all the faction developments!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dang I guess Mike Ross wasn't safe in the IPL gig he had after that buyout. Bummer I guess, but EMP is a weird choice.

https://twitter.com/ThatMikeRossGuy/status/306988133734559745

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 28, 2013

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ToastyPotato posted:

Welp, seeing as Triforce just threw it to Yipes so cordially, I think it is safe to say that Yipes is probably also going EMP. I mean, for Yipes to come down to a weekly, from the Bronx, and not playing, the same week Triforce is there talking business on stream? Pretty weird stuff.

Serious WCW Nitro vibes with all the faction developments!
Yipes has shown up to random Next Level tournies just to commentate. He's said that he doesn't like the setups there so he doesn't play.

Mike tweeted this a few minutes ago: "Why is everyone saying I'm EMP???"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The Mike Ross thing isn't totally out of left field, just yesterday Triforce was on Bifuteki's stream and he was talking business, VXG and rebuilding the Empire and all that. He said he wanted to add some prominent West Coast players into the mix at which point the chat blew up with "KevinTurtle" and Triforce started talking about how he always wanted to add Mike Ross to the team. So now all hopes are dashed and we can confirm with certainty that Cross Counter Gootecks is well and truly dead. :smith:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

iPodschun posted:

Yipes has shown up to random Next Level tournies just to commentate. He's said that he doesn't like the setups there so he doesn't play.

Mike tweeted this a few minutes ago: "Why is everyone saying I'm EMP???"

Yeah, I am thinking that they player in question from the EC is not Yipes now. Not sure which other big EC player would be up for grabs though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Why does anyone even care who a given player is sponsored by?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Spectator sport, son.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Apparently Spooky announced tonight that even the weeklies will have Sub Only chat. People be mad.

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012

Critical posted:

Apparently Spooky announced tonight that even the weeklies will have Sub Only chat. People be mad.

Yea, he announced this at the end after saying he had a sponsor or sponsors (who he couldn't reveal yet). Too many dick things in the chat. I actually opened the chat, a rarity, and people didn't seem too upset by it at the time. That said I've never really been big into the twitch chats so I could be way off on the reaction.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm happy about sub only chat but mostly for the reason that chat spam is the #1 reason for my streams freezing up temporarily when something hype happens. People mash emotes and words and everything slows to a crawl and I miss good stuff.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Minorities posted:

I'm happy about sub only chat but mostly for the reason that chat spam is the #1 reason for my streams freezing up temporarily when something hype happens. People mash emotes and words and everything slows to a crawl and I miss good stuff.

Not only that, without sub only it's just plain illegible past a certain amount of viewers. Weeklies don't quite hit those numbers yet, but it's starting to become a pain to keep up with it. I'm lucky I have mod status on the TS channel I guess :v:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Brosnan posted:

Well, for one, sponsorship tends to bring out some really needless if not hilarious drama (like when Hori sponsoring Andy OCR was leaked too early). Not necessarily a good thing really, but I guess the "community" likes to have things to speculate over in between tourneys and new games.

Secondly, though, it indicates where money is and isn't flowing in the FGC. Again there's some dubious value there, but I think it's good for players that are "coming up" to know that the sponsorship base for the FGC is still growing, since not everyone can afford to balance a job with being a top player and the travel etc that entails. I mean to some extent it's a shame that there are incredibly good players out there that no one ever know about until they finally get some time off / have enough cash to go to a major and place in top 8 at the expense of another top player. I kinda wish fighting games didn't have such poo poo netcode, and that American internet wasn't such poo poo in the first place - I think you'd see a lot more online tournaments like in Japan, or like everywhere in the world for games like CS and SC, which would place much less onus on sponsorship in the first place.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Open House at the House of Crack

e: classy conversation inside

e2: :siren: YIPES :siren:

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 1, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It looks like IPL 6 is cancelled and well the future for IPL in general looks really grim.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ign-cancels-ipl6-esports-tournament-6404672

Capcom really screwed the pooch on going with IPL sheesh.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

VxG EMP Mike Ross it is then.

Lavareef
Feb 5, 2009

I'm in a TINY bit of trouble
World Games Cup 2013 is live, KOF is up now.

Full lineup of games:

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition v.2012
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Street Fighter X Tekken v.2013
The King Of Fighters XIII
Soulcalibur V
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Dead Or Alive 5
Persona 4 – The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

Notable players:

"MCZ.Daigo Umehara, Dieminion, MCZ.Mago, MCZ.Tokido, RF, BAS, WW.MCZ RyanHart, MCZ.WDM Luffy, RZR.Fuudo and many more"

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/mar/01/world-game-cup-2013-tournament-stream-brackets-and-notes/

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

And our work filter doesn't pick it up as something to block; happy Friday!

Looks like a 10 year old just hopped on for KoF, cool.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah the announcer is going nuts for this kid, it's pretty funny

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Yo this kid! The announcers and the stream monsters are blowing up over him.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
This is hype as hell! Let's get this kid to Evo.

EDIT: Yoooooooooooooo

Mad Fnorder fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 1, 2013

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah that was pretty good; I'd root for him at evo.

edit: Wow this kid is actually totally legit it looks like. Where'd he come from? How do you get to be this good at KoF when you're 10, who is he playing with?

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2013

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dude just got a post-round piggyback ride, hah. I don't know much about KoF, but looks/sounds like he's playing pretty clutch. I think the announcer is gonna try and adopt him after the tourney.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
He seems really solid actually. Consistent, good spacing, reactions, doesn't drop stuff.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
wow that bait

Edit: Okay, he can't win everything. But that was still really solid play on both sides, I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Looking around a little, looks like Wawa, the KoF playing kid, qualified onto the team in a decent sized tourney: (http://fr.twitch.tv/zelkystv/b/366007596) Including beating his Dad/Training Partner in Grand Finals