Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't be too excited, but signs are pointing that a localization of Bravely Default is incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Booooooo what a tease!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This comes after some dude on GameFAQs who claims to be present in internal S-E meetings said the following:

quote:

Guess who has good news for you.
Bravely Default will be localised, the decision has been made.
So that's for the good news.

Now for the less good: No date or even a hint of a deadline has been set for the START of the localisation. It seems they're not in any hurry to earn more money and garner respect from the player base.

However this comes with another big news: Something big will happen in Japan around September/start of 4th quarter and it's about a certain FF title haha but I really can't say more. They're currently meeting some of the biggest retailers concerning a big advertising campaign.

Grains of salt and all, but those are signs and I WANT TO BELIEVE.

In other news, the European version of Devil Survivor Overclocked release date has been apparently pushed again, now to April according to Amazon UK. That one's probably not going to happen either, but if it does, that's the date Fire Emblem is out here, so well done, Ghostlight and Atlus.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 1, 2013

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

This comes after some dude on GameFAQs who claims to be present in internal S-E meetings said the following:

Grains of salt and all, but those are signs and I WANT TO BELIEVE.

In other news, the European version of Devil Survivor Overclocked release date has been apparently pushed again, now to April according to Amazon UK. That one's probably not going to happen either, but if it does, that's the date Fire Emblem is out here, so well done, Ghostlight and Atlus.

Yeah I am pretty sure that we will eventually get Bravely Default some day in the long distant future. As for DS:O? You surely aren't telling me that there is an incompetent European publisher of an Atlus game! What a shock, I am sure we will all appreciate the the near two years delay.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

jtm33 posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure that we will eventually get Bravely Default some day in the long distant future. As for DS:O? You surely aren't telling me that there is an incompetent European publisher of an Atlus game! What a shock, I am sure we will all appreciate the the near two years delay.

By the time you get it, Overclocked 2 should be announced. So look forward to getting that one near the end of the 3DS life cycle!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

I don't understand how Ghostlight are a real company that exists.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Speaking of DS:O, someone interviewed Ghostlight's senior producer about localization. No mention of possible future projects.

Carpe Fulgur is also mentioned.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Funny they mention Carpe Fulgur, a company of merely two guys, who do get poo poo done.

Etrian Odyssey IV is now up for preorder on Amazon UK. This isn't a confirmation that it will be a retail title or even published directly by Nintendo as that page claims (Shibata didn't confirm either), but it sure is a sign pointing that way.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got a 3ds basically for free and don't have any games for it. None of the 'must buy' titles really seem very interesting at all though, except what people are saying about kid icarus seems interesting but the gameplay videos and trailers make it out to be something i would never want to play ever. The 3d remake of MGS3 seems pretty cool and it's a game I've been meaning to play, but i've heard that you really need a circle pad pro to play it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

nigga crab pollock posted:

I got a 3ds basically for free and don't have any games for it. None of the 'must buy' titles really seem very interesting at all though, except what people are saying about kid icarus seems interesting but the gameplay videos and trailers make it out to be something i would never want to play ever. The 3d remake of MGS3 seems pretty cool and it's a game I've been meaning to play, but i've heard that you really need a circle pad pro to play it.

I'll give you an obligatory recommendation for Fire Emblem.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

You should be able to download a demo of MGS3 on the eshop to try it out, there may be other demos that catch your eye as well. Super Mario 3D Land is one of the best Marios in awhile and Mario Kart 7 is good as well.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Check out Kid Icarus over here. In my opinion it's the best game on the 3DS.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tactical role playing games are pretty much the definition of not fun and kid icarus still doesn't seem like a very interesting game in the least :/ I'll try to find a wifi hotspot that i can actually connect to and download some demos though

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

If you've played Peacewalker on the PSP, MGS3D has the same control scheme with some things moved to the touch screen (but still accessable with your thumb). It's actually very playable without the CPP and the complains about the FPS dropping were also there (and in most cases worse) on the PS2, so take that as you will. :shrug:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tactical role playing games are pretty much the definition of not fun and kid icarus still doesn't seem like a very interesting game in the least :/ I'll try to find a wifi hotspot that i can actually connect to and download some demos though

Kid Icarus is the definition of interesting. The characters are brilliant, it's technically astounding, the gameplay is unique, and it's just the best. Get it.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
I am seconding Kid Icarus being my favorite game on the 3ds. The best way I can describe it is a really crazy spin off of MDK. It has the same flying in sequences where you dodge poo poo, only this time you are shooting. Then on the ground it plays very similar to the ground areas of MDK, but with Melee and a ton of different weapons. If you like MDK there should be no reason you wouldn't like Kid Icarus.. I love it. Also the dynamic environments and all the effort/dialogue that went into the decently long single player game is worth playing alone..

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

DoctorWhat posted:

Kid Icarus is the definition of interesting. The characters are brilliant, it's technically astounding, the gameplay is unique, and it's just the best. Get it.

The conversations happening during gameplay are hilarious,interesting, and very well acted. The multiplayer is very fun. It's also got shittons of unlockables, like more than Smash Bros Brawl level of doodads to get.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Unfortunately, while I do think Kid Icarus is a good game, the control scheme is something that a lot of people don't like. If you're left handed and don't have a Circle Pad Pro, you probably should skip out. If you're not, do a little test. Hold your 3DS in your left hand, and just move your stylus around on the touch screen, and see if you can do that for a while without feeling pain in your hands. If you don't feel pain, great, get the game. If you do, you should skip out get it anyway, because KIU is a fantastic game.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Did you play Metroid Prime Hunters without trouble? If so, you'll be fine.

Even if you didn't, that stand is included for free for a reason. No one talking about that game's controls ever seems to mention the stand.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Laser Spider posted:

Did you play Metroid Prime Hunters without trouble? If so, you'll be fine.

Even if you didn't, that stand is included for free for a reason. No one talking about that game's controls ever seems to mention the stand.

As a left-hander, I can vouch for the stand. KIU was definitely playable with the default controls once I didn't have to deal with the hand cramps from keeping a steady grip on the 3DS with just my left hand and only had to worry about the ones from unnaturally holding a stylus in my right hand.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of Kid Icarus, what's this talk I'm hearing about spotpass gems and those being turned off at the end of the month?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo sends out a free weapon gem every day via Spotpass, but they're gonna stop doing that at the end of the month, which they said they'd do from the very beginning. It's not really a big deal, there are a million other ways to acquire weapons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Speaking of Kid Icarus, what's this talk I'm hearing about spotpass gems and those being turned off at the end of the month?

Spotpass gems were bad anyway so whatever, they were just free hearts after a point.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Its true. I got the notification earlier today. That sucks for anyone who gets the game after March 31st though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The spotpass gem weapons are terrible though. You'll get better ones after like playing for twenty minutes

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, it costs an assload of hearts to reconstitute or fuse Palutena's weapons, and you don't get much out of grinding them up. No big loss.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

It'd probably help if you said what kind of games you like besides just wanting to try MGS3.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The 3DS doesn't support SD cards greater than 32GB, yea? I want to buy the majority of my games digitally, but some of them have pretty big filesizes. I got a 32GB card which will last me for awhile, but I'm worried that sometime in the future I'll be having to worry about space issues. Would it even be possible for a firmware update to support SDXC like how the Wii added SDHC support?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The official word is that 32GB is the limit, but I've seen a bunch of posts from people with 128GB cards or whatever that say they work just fine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Like so: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488934
Apparently if you format to FAT32 it works...although I can't tell if anyone has tested to see if the full storage works yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The thing that sucks about the spotpass gems ending is completing all the in-game achievements is gonna be really hard.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The thing that sucks about the spotpass gems ending is completing all the in-game achievements is gonna be really hard.

If you save all your feathers for the ones that have to do with gems then you might still be able to complete them. Sakurai does set up some crazy tasks in those treasure hunts of his, but he is not without mercy.

On that matter, though, I still can't decide if I love or hate StreetPass. On one hand it's really cool that Nintendo built that function into the system so that you can use it with any game (or at least 12 different games) you've played, without having to have the game in the system and running as you needed in earlier such games (Nintendogs, AC:WW, etc.). On the other, unless you live in Japan or visit lots of nerd conventions each year, completing any game content that requires StreetPass is nearly impossible without buying another 3DS and another copy of the game. I'm not saying Nintendo should discourage developers from using StreetPass in games, but... ugh, it just sucks when you are unable to complete a game due to circumstances outside your reasonable control :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I live in New York City, I go to college, I ride the subway, and I get about 10 StreetPasses every couple of days even without going to high-traffic areas, much less Nintendo World. I know not everyone is that lucky but I'll admit I get a little :psyduck: when I hear about people who have literally never gotten a StreetPass.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

DoctorWhat posted:

I live in New York City, I go to college, I ride the subway, and I get about 10 StreetPasses every couple of days even without going to high-traffic areas, much less Nintendo World. I know not everyone is that lucky but I'll admit I get a little :psyduck: when I hear about people who have literally never gotten a StreetPass.

On the other hand you live in the largest (and 5th most dense) population center in the US and are specifically going through places with large amounts of traffic (public transportation; educational center). And that's ignoring the fact that there is going to be a disproportionally high number of 3DS users in your commute because of age demographics.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I live in a relatively modestly-sized (<300k) city, don't take public transit, and work and live in the city perimeter; I still manage to get a few streetpasses a week. Not getting any passes whatsoever is totally understandable and not at all :psyduck:-worthy if you live in a rural area, though. A lot of people don't realize how spread out most of central North America is.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Laser Spider posted:

If you save all your feathers for the ones that have to do with gems then you might still be able to complete them. Sakurai does set up some crazy tasks in those treasure hunts of his, but he is not without mercy.

On that matter, though, I still can't decide if I love or hate StreetPass. On one hand it's really cool that Nintendo built that function into the system so that you can use it with any game (or at least 12 different games) you've played, without having to have the game in the system and running as you needed in earlier such games (Nintendogs, AC:WW, etc.). On the other, unless you live in Japan or visit lots of nerd conventions each year, completing any game content that requires StreetPass is nearly impossible without buying another 3DS and another copy of the game. I'm not saying Nintendo should discourage developers from using StreetPass in games, but... ugh, it just sucks when you are unable to complete a game due to circumstances outside your reasonable control :smith:

It's not all a lack of international foresight--the creature you help grow through Streetpass in Soul Hackers was made easier to do in the NA release because of the feedback from Japanese players about how hard the whole process was.

I do kinda wish they did that sort of thing with every game though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Both Bravery Default and (I think) DQ7 3DS have online alternatives to all the Streetpass stuff, so you can use your friends list as a workaround.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm in a decent-sized (70k) Canadian city, and I've only ever gotten one StreetPass. To this day I'm not sure it wasn't the employees at EB taking pity on me and faking one with the store 3DS.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I get like 2 to 3 a day while I'm on campus. On the other hand this is a big US city and if I were back home I wouldn't even get 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, I dunno, I automatically tune out idiots who yammer on about "respect for the playerbase" when it comes to bringing titles across the ocean.

I'd gladly eat my hat, though, if it comes to EU too.

• Locked thread