Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

This is actually a semi-reasonable deal, yes? I don't at all think I'll bite, since I'm elbow deep in tuning up this Ninja 500 to be my beater city bike. I'm pretty reluctant to buy a nice/garage-kept/pretty bike, since in DC it'll be knocked over, stolen, etc. anyway. What do these things retail for new, like US$5k?

Remind me, it's the Enfield 350 that's the antiquated technology that you spend more time wrenching than riding, but the 500 is the one with EFI and everything and non-ghastly to keep running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Not sure what this is, but I like old barn motorcycles. It's a 2 speed guys!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jamais refait, hein. Tu m'étonnes!

(but seriously Quebec has the best motorcycle culture in all of Canada, and as a result also has all the coolest and weirdest stuff sitting in people's barns.)

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Hey nSap, here's your small bike for ya.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3601852576.html

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I've always felt that Yamaha XT600s are undervalued in the 80s dual-sport lineup. They're smaller and lighter than either a DR650 or a KLR650, and are reliable as a hammer. The kick-start probably scares away some buyers, but a properly adjusted automatic decompression mechanism and clean carburetor make them eager starters. There's nothing quite like bringing a bike to life with your leg.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3623424010.html

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Last one didn't work out, someone bought it the day before I was going to see it. I'm going to check out this bike tonight, though:

92 ex500. New tires, new brake pads in the front/drums in the rear, recent service done, chain replaced, 27k miles. Its only problem is some dings and scratches on fairing. It was listed for 1900 but I worked it down to 1500. It seems pretty sweet to me but I'm not exactly experienced, any opinions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check the usual...chain for tight spots or rusty dust coming off of it, sprockets for hooking, age on the tires (look for the date codes). Check that the front rotor is relatively smooth and doesn't have grooves worn in it, if it does, use it to knock the price down a bit. If the brakes were just done, the fluid should be light colored or clear. AFAIK, those engines are pretty solid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

M42 posted:

92 ex500. New tires, new brake pads in the front/drums in the rear, recent service done, chain replaced, 27k miles. Its only problem is some dings and scratches on fairing. It was listed for 1900 but I worked it down to 1500. It seems pretty sweet to me but I'm not exactly experienced, any opinions?

I'd be inclined to say that the 60+ horsepower that supplies is a little high to be starting out on, but it looks like a nice bike in general and that's a very good price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
A ninja 500 that old is going to be lucky to make 45hp at the rear wheel.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I'd be inclined to say that the 60+ horsepower that supplies is a little high to be starting out on, but it looks like a nice bike in general and that's a very good price.

It's a 430 lb bike that made ~55 HP 22 years ago. I think she'll be fine.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M42 posted:

Last one didn't work out, someone bought it the day before I was going to see it. I'm going to check out this bike tonight, though:

Pre-94 ex5000s have a few quirks to be aware of:

- bad flywheel design will eventually throw its magnets, so you want to replace it with a Gen 2. You can buy those used for a little over $100, and they drop right in after you dremel/grind off one small lug.
- The CCT is poor design; Gen2 CCT drops right in, maybe $50 used or $70 new for OEM.
- Bad tranny design, will eventually make it hard to find second. Could be at 10k miles, could be at 100k, but someday. A Gen2 will drop in, not hard but requires openin the engine, parts like $70?

Aside from the widely recognized and fixed-by-owner flaws, the Gen1 has 16 vs 17 inch wheels, fairings aren't interchangeable and Gen1 OEM are getting rarer (there are a few aftermarket). Bars are solid and you'd have to dril if you want barends, though Gen2 risers/bars are dropin. lBut a good chunk of parts are interchangeable across 1987-2009.

1900 sounds rather high; off the top of my head I'd go like $1200 if the fairings are uncracked (and you want fairings). Go to the Ex500 Wiki for the details on Gen1 needed upgrades, and also haggle him down by insisting its due for a valve job (unless he has receipts showing it's on schedule). I like these mid-size mellow bikes, by 1900 should buy you an older Gen2 that doesn't need nearly $300 in upgraded Gen2 parts. Other than those Gen1 is fine, and slightly lower/lighter than Gen2 if that matters.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hey, thanks for listing all that out! I'm definitely going to see if he's done anything to take care of those problems.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sorry for double post, but just in case not everyone in cycle asylum was tired of my ceaseless posting, I'm here to change that. I didn't pull the trigger tonight, couple reasons:

It got too cold and dark (even with my flashlight) to comfortably inspect everything without rushing through it.

It's also more thrashed than I expected. Basically the motorcycle equivalent of a beater car. The CL pics look a little old, actually. Since there's nothing else to do while dinner is cooking, here's an mspaint of the main things:

And a diagram of where I found a film of oil on the engine case. On the valve covers, looks like. Just a film, not enough to drip.

The right hand side also had a little dent in the engine case where the brake pedal must have hit it, and the front brake lever ball was snapped off. Speaking of, both the clutch and front brake levers were vertically loose. So yeah, it's been down a number of times.

The guy doesn't know how many owners there were before himself and neither has he got the service paperwork from them. He does have his own, though. The oil got changed twice in the last three months cause he rides a ton. Tires, chain, brakes a month ago. I think spark plugs were replaced in december.

He says the bike does do that thing where it pops into neutral while engine braking in second. Says it never really bothered him. Didn't have any idea the ex500's flywheel likes to poo poo out the magnets.

It sounded a little rough at idle, but he said that's pretty normal for ex500s. Like a sewing machine were his exact words.

Give me guidance, oh gurus. Can I knock the price down some more? I'm going back saturday.

e: it also has a half functioning blue underglow, haha.

M42 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 22, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dropping out of gear could be bad riding or bad transmission, either would be a deal breaker for me at 1500. Or even at a lower price.

I'd pass. Another deal will come along.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

M42 posted:

It got too cold and dark (even with my flashlight) to comfortably inspect everything without rushing through it.

What a coincidence, that's how I bought my '91 EX500 November before last: plus it was raining, and I was meeting the guy in a railway parking lot. All around a terrible circumstance to inspect a bike in. Don't get me wrong, overall I like my EX, but I bought nearly blind and am lucky I've had just the few issues I've had.

quote:

The right hand side also had a little dent in the engine case where the brake pedal must have hit it,

Oh, that's another thing EX500s are prone to (both generations). On a bad fall it can punch through, though I think I've had Hondas with similar problems.

quote:

The guy doesn't know how many owners there were before himself and neither has he got the service paperwork from them. He does have his own, though.

Out of curiosity, did he even mention valve jobs? Due every 7,000 miles, and the way you tell he might not know if it's ever been done.

quote:

He says the bike does do that thing where it pops into neutral while engine braking in second. Says it never really bothered him. Didn't have any idea the ex500's flywheel likes to poo poo out the magnets.

Dingdingding: that's $100 for a Gen2 transmission, and it would take a novice a good chunk of the evening to crack open the engine to be able to install it.

quote:

It sounded a little rough at idle, but he said that's pretty normal for ex500s. Like a sewing machine were his exact words.

That could be a few things, but while we're on the theme of "congenital Gen1 defects", that might be the CCT not doing its job right. Or various other things.

quote:

Give me guidance, oh gurus. Can I knock the price down some more? I'm going back saturday.

KBB for this is, what, $1100 in "excellent condition"? This is just a totally off-the-cuff guess based on my dicking around with my Gen1, but spitballing it:

-$100 for the busted fairings, since you'll either be duct-taping them together or going streetfighter. Mine had cowl cracks, but at least mine had non-cracked sides I stripped to sell. Not that $100 is going to buy you new fairings, just picking a number to demand a drop from "excellent"
-$100 for the transmission, not counting your time
-$150 for the flywheel
-$75 for the CCT
-$100 for a combination of time and parts to do the valve job, and very likely in this condition nobody's bothered to replace dry and cracking hoses (about $20 worth of rubber and time changing them), petcock might need a rebuild ($30-40 in parts)

So, what, a good deal would be $600ish and the assumption that taking a few weeks to gather the parts for the above, read up on the process, and fix them would be enjoyable and educational? In contrast, I glance on Craigslist and near me (Washington DC) there's a guy selling a 2001 EX500 in pretty clean shape, 13k miles with almost new tires and brakes, asking $2200. The EX500/Ninja 500 and its Suzuki cousin the GS500 had runs of like 25 years each and built scads of bikes and exported plenty of them to the US. Oh, there's a 2006 GS500 near me, 5k miles in reasonable shape asking $2500. If you want a mid-size mellow sport-standard that's easy to work on and reasonably inexpensive, watching for either of those models couldn't hurt.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 22, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't rush to buy it, looks like I'll skip that one. Thanks guys.

Funny thing, a GS is the bike I'd really want, and there's a cheap one on CL right now... and the guy's email is returning a mail delivery failure message. I bet he's wondering why he's not getting any bites. :v:

I did find something cool looking in my search, not for me, but maybe some goon might like it. It's a yamaha srx 250. All I know about them is that they're pretty rare and also kinda cool looking. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3635057584.html

M42 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 22, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I see that all the time and I really don't get it. If you're trying to sell something for four figures, wouldn't you take a minute to proof read your ad, or at least double check that you didn't typo your email address?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I've always felt that Yamaha XT600s are undervalued in the 80s dual-sport lineup. They're smaller and lighter than either a DR650 or a KLR650, and are reliable as a hammer. The kick-start probably scares away some buyers, but a properly adjusted automatic decompression mechanism and clean carburetor make them eager starters. There's nothing quite like bringing a bike to life with your leg.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3623424010.html

Being an idiot I broke the kickstarter lever on my XLR the second day I had it, and rode it around the first month bump-start-only.

I was really careful not to stall at any lights, and usually tried to hold out for a gas station at the top of a hill.

Getting a new lever installed and being able to kickstart the bike now feels like an unimaginable luxury :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

M42 posted:

Like a sewing machine were his exact words.

What? Volvo doesn't make bikes. :v:

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

This was just posted in my area:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3543621275.html

Holy $22,000 Batman!

:siren:EDIT:siren:

Also this

:siren: 1200 OBO! :siren:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3550677960.html

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 23, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Doing my bi-monthly search for CBXs

Pretty sure this has been for sale from this guy for a year now. Looks clean as hell and low mileage. I would love this.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-1982-Honda-CBX-1000-White-W0QQAdIdZ456474063

Came across this for the first time though
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-TURBO-1979-Honda-CBX-W0QQAdIdZ458682651

quote:

1240cc Turbo engine, done right, with Carrillo Falicons - Drilled Rotors
Have the original seat as well . 44 mikuni carb. An original owner with 1500 miles since turbo in 1982. Not for the faint of heart.
Need it sold, so bargain priced at 10k
Looks like 30 year old photos though

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That is a sweet eagle.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Now, you US and Euro guys are going to scoff, but these are ridiculously good prices for Australia (:australia:). It makes me wish I had the cash for another bike. I cannot freaking wait..

I really like the look of the Suzuki's tacho etc. Also am I the only person who dislikes the short exhausts? I know they cut down on weight and stuff, but man...

Thinking I may avoid Kawasaki for my next bike, of the five bikes I've owned, I've written 100% of Green Machines off (2).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Only $2000 for this 2008 KLR 650. 80% of the pieces are in boxes, oh and also the engine needs to be nearly entirely replaced because it seized up. DEAL OF THE CENTURY.

quote:

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
2800 miles on chassis when the engine seized on me going down the freeway. Bike wasn't dropped I've had it in the shop and they tore down the engine in an effort to get Kawasaki to fix it under warranty. Kawasaki refused due to "evidence of possible oil starvation" even though it had plenty of oil from a few hundred miles since the last change and there was a full amount when the shop drained it.

Anyways.. bike has a clean title on it but needs a new engine. I'm moving soon and do not have time for the project so I've dropped the price on what this is worth in good order to account for getting an engine to put it in it. Someone with the time and a garage could have a great bike to ride before summer is here.

Bike is in storage in Vancouver with all the parts from the engine and everything else with the bike. Much of the engine parts are good, but I have a list from the shop of things they would have replaced. You take the bike, put in a new engine, sell the parts with value, and have a great cheap ride.

Next time I can show the bike would be on Sunday (3rd) during the afternoon.
Pictures don't show it, but there are some stout crash guards that would come with the bike and had to be removed for the engine coming out.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I bought a stock 2007 KLR, 18k on it, perfectly running with new tires for $2500 just FYI.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I can't decide what part of this I like the most.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
How loving legit it would be to receive payment in gold bullion.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Offer bitcoins.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If my experience with gold trading is any indication (I have watched every episode of American Guns so I am p much an expert), then you will be able to slap down 200 bucks worth of gold bullion and be able to walk away with a sweet motorcycle.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I wonder if he'd even test the bullion or just blindly accept some novelty bullion bar.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This is the first DRZ I've seen for under $3000 in my area, and SMs are even harder to find. Is there anything in particular to watch out for on them? I think I see a dent in the pipe, so I know it's not "mint condition".

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcd/3649662585.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
How many miles? That's way below market value for a low mileage bike. I'd be wary.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

JP Money posted:

How many miles? That's way below market value for a low mileage bike. I'd be wary.

http://www.superflymotorsports.com/...1SK44A872101650

Same bike on their site, for 300 bucks more. Seems like it's legit. It's a 6 year old bike with a small market in the middle of winter in the Northeast.

I'm sure it's probably different on the west coast and warmer states, but out on the east coast and midwest, I find that dealers generally have better prices on used bikes than most of the idiot private sellers on craigslist.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There are a lot of shady fly-by-night dealers in this part of the country and I've seen a lot of bikes listed for well below market value. My guess is that these could be on salvage or laundered titles, especially if they're near hurricane flooded areas. That or it's a straight up bait and switch. This popped up in my area:

That's a helluva good price on that bike, and matched the website, but turned out to be a 'typo'. Now it's more like:

Which is still an awfully good price, but it's also from a flooded area, so I'd be hesitant.

I mean, it's always worth checking out but if the vibe feels too shady, moonwalk away quickly.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I definitely want to see it in person. If it's just cosmetic damage, then I'm not too worried. But the price really stuck out when most of the ones around here are at least $4000.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
$4000 buys you a pristine low mileage one (I just passed up on one, in fact.) $3500 gets you a modded one of questionable provenance from a sketcho in the Bronx. Neither of those include dealer markup (which certainly does exist here.) At the least I'd want to see a clean title.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

There seems to ALWAYS be a reason a dealer has "a fair price" and I've never seen it be because they just want to sell the bike to a customer for a good deal. It's usually due to a huge amount of miles, damage, etc.

That's well below what most people ask for a DRZ imo. Location of the country may play a small role but not THAT big of one... I'd buy that if there were maybe a few hundred cheaper but not 1400 cheaper than normal. If it's legit go snag it up.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

JP Money posted:

That's well below what most people ask for a DRZ imo. Location of the country may play a small role but not THAT big of one... I'd buy that if there were maybe a few hundred cheaper but not 1400 cheaper than normal. If it's legit go snag it up.

Suzuki dealers up here are selling the 2013s new for 6500 bucks, you'd pay 4500 bucks for a 6 year old example?

Seriously though, for 2600 bucks, who cares if it has a salvage title? It's a motard, you're going to drop it, that's the point.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ThatCguy posted:

Suzuki dealers up here are selling the 2013s new for 6500 bucks, you'd pay 4500 bucks for a 6 year old example?

Seriously though, for 2600 bucks, who cares if it has a salvage title? It's a motard, you're going to drop it, that's the point.

4500 would be for an 09 with low miles and all the mods done or an absolutely pristine example stock.

Despite what internet hiveminds think things are worth buyers can ask whatever they want. Supermotos are still priced like they were a few years back when the trend was much more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

JP Money posted:

4500 would be for an 09 with low miles and all the mods done or an absolutely pristine example stock.

Despite what internet hiveminds think things are worth buyers can ask whatever they want. Supermotos are still priced like they were a few years back when the trend was much more popular.

Eh, whatever you want to do. I'd say 2.6k sounds like it's priced about right for what it is.