Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On Chopped Scott Conant just said something on one of the guys plates tasted like baby aspirin and then added how much he loves baby aspirin :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

:lol: next week's Worst Cooks features a crossover with that stupid Willie Deagle (sp) guy from the stakeout show.

ARE
YOU
KIDDING ME

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

:lol: next week's Worst Cooks features a crossover with that stupid Willie Deagle (sp) guy from the stakeout show.

ARE
YOU
KIDDING ME

I can't even begin to figure out a reason why this would be necessary.

"We're gonna go undercover to determine if these chefs aren't good"

...what?

Also Willie Deagle is literally the most unstandable person on Food Network. It's a high bar to reach but every time he says anything I just kinda want to punch him.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

axleblaze posted:

As much as DDD annoys me, I will say that the one place I went to that was featured on DDD was incredible.

I've been to two places featured on DDD, Hodad's in San Diego and Capones in Coeur d'alene, Idaho. Both were pretty drat good, Hodad's had an hour long line out the door but the burgers were great, and Capones was your typical all American eatery. Good grinders, pizza and beer selection.

Could have done without the douchey "Guy was here" stencils adorning both places though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Christopher Irvine posted:

If you didn't mind Rachael vs Guy then there's no reason you won't be okay with Worst Cooks. Hell's Kitchen will be starting again soon but that's on Fox and this is a cable channels thread (I think?) and HK has its own thread anyway.

Hrrrrgggghhh. I don't know if I can handle Worst Cooks in America. I almost never cook and even with my extremely limited experience with cooking this show is really frustrating.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

The Duke posted:

I've been to two places featured on DDD, Hodad's in San Diego and Capones in Coeur d'alene, Idaho. Both were pretty drat good, Hodad's had an hour long line out the door but the burgers were great, and Capones was your typical all American eatery. Good grinders, pizza and beer selection.

Could have done without the douchey "Guy was here" stencils adorning both places though.

They do that to most of the places.

Hey Girl fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 25, 2013

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi

Uuuuuuugh he signs his name "Guy!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Hayburner posted:

Uuuuuuugh he signs his name "Guy!"
He even went back to the schools he was in and presented at and even did it there.

I know this because that same stencil is in the lobby of one of the places he spoke at.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I wanted to hit the TV when I saw that. WHAT. gently caress. Whatever. I assume the Stakeout show probably needs a ratings boost from people watching Wost Cooks.

I still love Anne yelling at bad cooks and that's all that really matters to me. It also got me to watch Chef Wanted which I had no interest in previously.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
After watching tonight I'm now convinced that they are feeding the contestants lines to say in the interviews on Worst Cooks. All of a sudden after something happens they cut to a line from one of them that's a little too perfect and delivered in that same read off a prompt manner as Pawn Stars. I mean 'I really choked that chicken' seriously?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

The Duke posted:

My wife and I have been to a few DDD places. Most of them disappointing beyond belief. Of course, with these spots your mileage may vary.

Studio Diner - San Diego
http://www.yelp.com/biz/studio-diner-san-diego
Expensive, lackluster food, seafood was problematic

Gaffey Street Diner - San Pedro
http://www.yelp.com/biz/gaffey-street-diner-san-pedro
Dennys with worse decor

Schooner or Later - Long Beach
http://www.yelp.com/biz/schooner-or-later-long-beach
Crowded, and "The Mess" was a big egg scramble

My wife and I have started looking at Yelp reviews before doing any more DDD. My friend that lives in VA has had great luck with DDD places so maybe it's just the locality we are in.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

dude789 posted:

Hrrrrgggghhh. I don't know if I can handle Worst Cooks in America. I almost never cook and even with my extremely limited experience with cooking this show is really frustrating.

Well, I couldn't watch more than five minutes of Rachel vs Guy but I enjoy Worst Cooks.

The reason I hate Rachel vs Guy is that I know those people are paid actors who just want a check. Its the same reason I can't stand any show with celebrity participants. And they are all hams beyond belief and the cooking is poo poo and minimal.

The reason I enjoy Worst Cooks is because I like the learning aspect of it. Its very basic but for some reason I love it. They actually cook on the show instead of prance around hamming it up. Well, mostly. And I'm not cynical enough to believe the entire thing is faked with fakey mcfakersons faking it up. I do believe these people want to be on television, are edited into certain types, act like baffoons for the cameras, and fed questions and/or answers. But I do not believe they are fake bad cooks or fake eliminated or any of that stuff.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Last year they broke out into a song and dance routine. Worst Cooks is fake as poo poo.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 26, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I spent the entire runtime of Worst Cooks doing a Walking Dead photoshop and when I looked up at the end to see who was going home it gibed so perfectly with what I learned from the last ep that I didn't feel like I missed anything.

Failboattootoot posted:

Last year they broke out into a song and dance routine. Worst Cooks is fake as poo poo.

How in the world do I not remember this?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

How in the world do I not remember this?

Because I begin to realize that most of us aren't really watching these shows, they are just on in our living rooms and we're watching 2 minutes of every 30.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Because I begin to realize that most of us aren't really watching these shows, they are just on in our living rooms and we're watching 2 minutes of every 30.

That is certainly the case with me. I started losing interest when that woman that did the Viva paper towels ads became popular for a while, she was as bad as Sandra Lee.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think they should ban French toast and crepes from the chopped dessert round

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Timett posted:

And marscapone and making bread pudding.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Timett posted:

They need to buy a second ice cream maker.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
In the Chopped rerun they're showing right now Zakarian said "It was almost like cannibalism!" with regard to eating rare shrimp. I wonder what he meant to say.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

nooneofconsequence posted:

They need to buy a second ice cream maker.

I like just having one at least, it introduces a bit of gamesmanship in getting something in there as quick as possible, and it's always interesting to see how the person who misses out copes.

Force McCocken
Dec 9, 2004
Rational political thought and discourse is dead. Personally, I blame you.

In the Chopped rerun they're showing right now Zakarian said "It was almost like cannibalism!" with regard to eating rare shrimp. I wonder what he meant to say.

Well, he does appear to be something of a shrimp.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described

Did someone bleed all over the shrimp?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Hey guys remember how on the Taste it was gonna be all about the food and not the people so the eliminations were gonna be blind taste tests and stuff and personality wasn't gonna matter?

The Taste is good.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

I really wish the Cooking Channel didn't go down the same path that Food Network did, it's like watching ESPN 8, "the ocho".

I guess I am going to have to start DVR'ing the Create block of shows on PBS. Well, all of them except the creepy BBQ guy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just caught a moment of Sweet Genius and one dude is wearing a red captain's hat and someone made a titty. Like, a lumpy, flesh-colored titty, topped off with a nipple and everything. I don't know if it was SUPPOSED to be a titty, but that was a fuckin titty, man.

And I really gotta stress the point about a dude with a red captain's hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yo.

quote:

Scripps Networks Interactive Inc signed a content licensing agreement with Amazon.com Inc's subscription-based video streaming service, the U.S. broadcaster's first online-only subscription distribution deal.

Past seasons of popular shows such as "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations", "Cupcake Wars" and "House Hunters" from Scripps' channels such as HGTV, Food Network and Travel Channel will be available on Amazon's Instant video services from Thursday, Amazon said in a statement.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I really don't understand why the new Cooking Channel isn't just Good Eats: The Channel. :mad:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In the Maybe a Good Show but at the Wrong Time section:

Seemingly premiering tonight at 7:30PM EST on PBS is Rick Steves' Delicious Europe, as opposed to his general travels otherwise. My worry is that another chapter of the Pledge Drive Saga is recently upon us, such that at least here in my corner of GA a great number of episodes may simply never air correctly as was the case with David Chang's Mind of a Chef.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

New Roster for Chopped All-Stars is up.

Is this the first time Scott Conant has cooked? How much do I need to bribe a judge to complain about uncooked onions to him?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Those all look pretty fun. Want to see the Food vs Cooking episode and the Mega Chefs one, because I love Chuck Hughes and Blais will probably make some kind of badass foam.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Robviously posted:

Is this the first time Scott Conant has cooked? How much do I need to bribe a judge to complain about uncooked onions to him?

Just make all 4 ingredients in the basket onions.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Brocktoon posted:

Just make all 4 ingredients in the basket onions.

Chopped Judge posted:

This dish is just missing something, maybe some raw onions, I don't know....

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Robviously posted:

Yes, and they also need to complain that his pasta isn't perfectly al-dente.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I will watch for Nadia G.

With all the gimmick matches they have for Chopped, I wonder why they haven't done a Raw Food challenge yet. I think it'd be pretty interesting to see an episode where people have to prepare dishes where they really aren't cooking anything.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Blais! :science: and Gavin Kaysen. poo poo just got real.

Corkscrew
May 20, 2001

Nothing happened. I'm Julius Pepperwood. Let it go.
I've actually wondered about the possibility that the makers of Chopped film more (possibly many more) episodes than they actually air.

It seems likely to me that they get a set of contestants that just don't work at all from a dramatic, reality-show-type standpoint. Probably this could include gimmick Chopped episodes that just don't work for whatever reason. Or maybe two out of the three people set their stations on fire or drop all of their protein or just flame out in a horrible fashion. I don't think that'd make for good television except for people with extreme schadenfreude.

So what I'm saying is maybe at some point they worked up the idea for a raw foods Chopped but it just didn't work when they actually tried to produce it.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
You kidding, the bigger the trainwreck the better for Chopped. They even had one of those redemption episodes recently for people who had wiped out badly in their first appearance. And they're never going to spend the money to make an episode and not air it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Corkscrew posted:

I've actually wondered about the possibility that the makers of Chopped film more (possibly many more) episodes than they actually air.

It seems likely to me that they get a set of contestants that just don't work at all from a dramatic, reality-show-type standpoint. Probably this could include gimmick Chopped episodes that just don't work for whatever reason. Or maybe two out of the three people set their stations on fire or drop all of their protein or just flame out in a horrible fashion. I don't think that'd make for good television except for people with extreme schadenfreude.

So what I'm saying is maybe at some point they worked up the idea for a raw foods Chopped but it just didn't work when they actually tried to produce it.

They'd just as soon spend some extra money to re-film the episode or segment than to ditch an entire produced episode. I mean, I could see it happening once or twice over the lifetime of the show, but I doubt it would be a regular thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Red Warrior posted:

You kidding, the bigger the trainwreck the better for Chopped. They even had one of those redemption episodes recently for people who had wiped out badly in their first appearance. And they're never going to spend the money to make an episode and not air it.

I just watched that episode and those people still managed to barely cook three meals without loving up.

• Locked thread