Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
How much does Nintendo mark up replacement parts when you order directly from them? Because apparently getting a new Gamepad if something happens to yours is Hella Expensive :stare:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516246

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Holy poo poo World 5 in Runner 2 is something else

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Crowbear posted:

How much does Nintendo mark up replacement parts when you order directly from them? Because apparently getting a new Gamepad if something happens to yours is Hella Expensive :stare:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516246

That seems right. I would have bet $100-150. I also have read it might be cheaper if you send one in for repairs.

There's a lot of poo poo in that controller, lotta parts to pay for. I bet they'll be sold online through Nintendo's site before they hit retail stores. As in, units to just buy rather than ordering replacements. This is also why I hope more games just support the Pro-- I almost always get a drifting stick or mushy buttons eventually. I ruined my first PS3 controller's left analog on RE5, and Call of Duty has taken its toll on my 360 pads. Mashing that left stick to sprint just eats those things.

Edit: If people here follow Giant Bomb, I asked Jeff a question on Tumblr. He says he hasn't heard the best of things about Lego City Undercover from people who have played it.

Time to temper those dinosaur-riding expectations, maybe. :smith:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 1, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

That seems right. I would have bet $100-150. I also have read it might be cheaper if you send one in for repairs.

There's a lot of poo poo in that controller, lotta parts to pay for. I bet they'll be sold online through Nintendo's site before they hit retail stores. As in, units to just buy rather than ordering replacements. This is also why I hope more games just support the Pro-- I almost always get a drifting stick or mushy buttons eventually. I ruined my first PS3 controller's left analog on RE5, and Call of Duty has taken its toll on my 360 pads. Mashing that left stick to sprint just eats those things.

Edit: If people here follow Giant Bomb, I asked Jeff a question on Tumblr. He says he hasn't heard the best of things about Lego City Undercover from people who have played it.

Time to temper those dinosaur-riding expectations, maybe. :smith:

Well that's freaky. I was just reading his tumblr and was about to come post that :stonk:

But yeah, I realize there's a lot of poo poo in the gamepad but $150 is half the price of the drat console. That's a whole lot of money for a controller, no matter how much stuff they stuck in there.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I also would have guessed between $100-$150, isn't there proprietary streaming tech along with everything else in the controller? After reading the comments in that thread, i'm glad i'm not a member of neogaf.

I'm going to remain optimistic about Lego City, Jeff has been a negative nancy about the Wii U for a while now. I also lost a bit of respect for him when he shoehorned Syndicate into their overall top 10 games of the year for last year.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

katkillad2 posted:

I also would have guessed between $100-$150, isn't there proprietary streaming tech along with everything else in the controller? After reading the comments in that thread, i'm glad i'm not a member of neogaf.

I'm going to remain optimistic about Lego City, Jeff has been a negative nancy about the Wii U for a while now. I also lost a bit of respect for him when he shoehorned Syndicate into their overall top 10 games of the year for last year.

Pretty sure the gamepad uses Miracast which isn't proprietary.

Also Jeff really like Syndicate. Like many others I didn't, but the top 10 list is supposed to represent their opinions not some attempt at being objective so I can't blame him for lobbying for it.

And he is not even remotely alone in being a negative nancy about the Wii U because poo poo man there ain't no games. He even said he was excited about Lego City, but word of mouth from others who've played it wasn't great.

I'm still hoping the game turns out to be cool. I've liked a bunch of the other Lego games, but they've pretty much just been mindless collectathons with a few well done scenes so far, so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence about how they'll handle an open world game.

e: neogaf is indeed a huge shithole but it's useful for getting news and sales figures and stuff.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 1, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lego City Undercover ain't the first Lego City game. Giant Bomb actually played the old pc open world Lego game on an Unprofessional Friday recently.

I'm still looking forward to playing it myself. I just would have felt better if people in the media were reporting good things, because the Wii U is severely lacking good word of mouth right now.

Edit: Syndicate was a pretty fun game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
When it comes to the Wii U, Japan has it even worse than the rest of us - their eShop has a grand total of one original game (Nano Assault Neo, which Arc System Works released this week).

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

Lego City Undercover ain't the first Lego City game. Giant Bomb actually played the old pc open world Lego game on an Unprofessional Friday recently.

That was Lego Island and it is the greatest Lego that will ever be made. It is a Lynchian nightmare made with children's toys.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

When it comes to the Wii U, Japan has it even worse than the rest of us - their eShop has a grand total of one original game (Nano Assault Neo, which Arc System Works released this week).

:stonk:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Crowbear posted:

Pretty sure the gamepad uses Miracast which isn't proprietary.

Also Jeff really like Syndicate. Like many others I didn't, but the top 10 list is supposed to represent their opinions not some attempt at being objective so I can't blame him for lobbying for it.

And he is not even remotely alone in being a negative nancy about the Wii U because poo poo man there ain't no games. He even said he was excited about Lego City, but word of mouth from others who've played it wasn't great.

Yea, I used the word proprietary incorrectly there. What I was trying to suggest was that even though it's done through wi-fi, Miracast seems to be relatively new and i'm guessing there has to be a cost associated with being one of the first few devices to utilize it?

As far as Jeff goes, it was pretty awkward every time he brought up Syndicate, everyone else either hadn't played it or played it and was all, "Well I didn't really like it but uhh, i guess i respect your opinion." If he liked it so much, then put it on his personal top 10 as #1 or whatever, but nobody else really agreed on that one. I guess using that same logic, maybe ZombiU shouldn't have made that top 10 either since Patrick was the only one who played it. ( Although I would argue ZombiU did much more for it's genre where as Syndicate was just another FPS. )

I've complained several times in the thread about lack of games and even though it's to be expected somewhat with it being a new console and all, I still think it's valid criticism. I don't have any specific examples, but the attitude i've seen/heard from Jeff in bombcasts and Jars seems like he's written the system off already. Even the question leading up to his Lego City comment implies that, "Have you had a positive experience with your Wii U yet?" If I wanted to know what someone thought of a Wii U game, I wouldn't ask someone who doesn't really care for the Wii U to begin with.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 1, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lost track of this thread for a couple days, for some reason... Got a question. Is Pandora's Tower going to be similar to Xenoblade, in that you can only get it by pre-ordering from Gamestop or Nintendo? I think I should pick it up, because it looks like if I want to get it ever, I'll have to get it right when it's released, unless I want to pay 100+ bucks for it. (No).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I preordered it from Amazon, so no.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I want any kind of opinion on Nintendo stuff, I don't go to Gerstmann. Also I just resubbed to Netflix and found that the WiiU app allows for video on the gamepad, so I guess I know how I'm using that from now on.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nintendo life has a first impressions of Lego City: Undercover, and it seemed pretty positive.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Soul Glo posted:

There's a lot of poo poo in that controller, lotta parts to pay for.

I don't care if it's made of solid gold, you don't charge 50% of the console for the controller. At this point, Nintendo has to consider that people who are facing these costs would just decide against it and let their Wii U rot instead of buying new games down the line.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese site got updated with a couple new games a few hours ago:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asaj/index.html
It looks like there will be traditional WarioWare microgaming after all:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asaj/game/gamer.html

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't care if it's made of solid gold, you don't charge 50% of the console for the controller. At this point, Nintendo has to consider that people who are facing these costs would just decide against it and let their Wii U rot instead of buying new games down the line.

Well, there's two things going on.

1. They're selling the console at a loss. So even though the controller is going for 50% of the cost of the console to the customer, that's not REALLY 50% of the cost of the machine. Also, the controller is the most distinctive part of the console anyway, so.

2. They might be making a profit on these controller sales to in part help close the gap of the hit they're taking on each console sold, which we still don't know the amount of since it came out that Reggie misspoke or lied about the sale of one game making a Wii U profitable.

I think that if a kid loses a controller (the most likely consumer to staight up lose their controller), then a parent will just take the $150 hit. Sure, some might be resilient enough to shove it into the back of a closet and forget it, but most will cave to a crying child.

I'm not trying to defend the cost, just explaining why none of this news is really surprising or even that big of news to me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

It's like I was saying, they shoved a bunch of useless crap into their controller that will never pay off. The camera, the nfc chip, the sensor bar, the mic, all adding more components and expense to the pad for their own developer's brainstorming session where they have ideas for maybe one or two games.

Passing that cost to all consumers for features that won't be used in 90% of games.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

It looks like there will be traditional WarioWare microgaming after all:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/asaj/game/gamer.html

We've known for a while that 9Volt's game is playing microgames on the pad while 9volt is in bed and having to hide it when his mom appears on the TV. Past your bedtime gaming!

It's not really been made clear how many microgames are in it though, might only be a small pool of re-used ones.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Brinty posted:

We've known for a while that 9Volt's game is playing microgames on the pad while 9volt is in bed and having to hide it when his mom appears on the TV. Past your bedtime gaming!

It's not really been made clear how many microgames are in it though, might only be a small pool of re-used ones.
They could theoretically put every single one on there, since the Gamepad has all the features needed for Mega Microgames, Twisted, Touched and DIY, and the system supports Wii Remotes for Smooth Moves.

I mean, they won't put every one on there. But they could do a best-of collection certainly.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quest For Glory II posted:

They could theoretically put every single one on there, since the Gamepad has all the features needed for Mega Microgames, Twisted, Touched and DIY, and the system supports Wii Remotes for Smooth Moves.

I mean, they won't put every one on there. But they could do a best-of collection certainly.

I'm imagining 9-Volt reaching under his covers and pulling out a different colored GBA or DS to play a different version of WarioWare on and it makes perfect sense.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm not sure if they even have a lot of spares at this point; why would they, especially for a deluxe model? Whenever they have consoles, they ship them to stores, so I doubt they're accumulating piles of extra gamepads just in case at this point in production.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure if they even have a lot of spares at this point; why would they, especially for a deluxe model? Whenever they have consoles, they ship them to stores, so I doubt they're accumulating piles of extra gamepads just in case at this point in production.

I'm weirded out as to why the console whose high price is clearly mostly based around the controller confuses people when the controller is expensive?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

theflyingorc posted:

I'm weirded out as to why the console whose high price is clearly mostly based around the controller confuses people when the controller is expensive?

Because that controller is not nearly worth $150.

Chronojam posted:

The Gamepad is being sold seperately in Japan already.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 1, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Katana Gomai posted:

Well no controller is worth the money you pay for it, but $150 is pretty retarded.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I'm more surprised that people are only just now acting completely shocked about the insane price of the controller. When Nintendo announced launch details on the system, the Japanese announcement included a price for the standalone controllers at retail. The price they announced was 13,400 yen, which correlates to about $170.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No one paid attention to that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sire Oblivion posted:

Well no controller is worth the money you pay for it, but $150 is pretty retarded.

It's not necessarily retarded. I actually don't know because I am unaware of how much the components, labor, etc cost to make these things. However, I think most of the negative reaction is pure sticker shock. We are used to our controllers costing a lot less even if the cost to make those controllers was far less than what we were paying for. Heck, the ratio between the cost to produce and the price to buy for the Gamepad might actually be a lot more reasonable compared to the history of most controllers and we just don't know it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So apparently Assassin's Creed 4 is going to be a huge emphasis on the pirate theme from the third game. Trailer's coming on Monday, I heard the release is scheduled for October, with plans to be on all the consoles and then the next-gen stuff from MS and Sony once they're available. Which does make me wonder, then, when they'll be out.

FoxMcCloud
Dec 1, 2003

Sorry to jet, but I'm in a hurry.
I imagine sales will pick up as more games come out, but I still constantly have to explain to people I know that the Wii U is a new console, not something for Wii. I started wondering if Nintendo would advertise it as Wii 2, or Wii 2 U, would help. They could do something like this with the Wii U logo since it's already established, but might help raise awareness about it: .

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Or they could just start being more straight forward. Start slapping "The Wii U! Nintendo's latest video game entertainment system." everywhere. It's not a super sexy thing to say, but it has got to be better than what they are dealing with now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo's New Super WiiU: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Or they could just start being more straight forward. Start slapping "The Wii U! Nintendo's latest video game entertainment system." everywhere. It's not a super sexy thing to say, but it has got to be better than what they are dealing with now.

The German TV ad translates to "Wii U, the new HD console by Nintendo." At least over here they're being clear about that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How about a simple "The Console Formerly Known as Wii U?"

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

How about a simple "The Console Formerly Known as Wii U?"

And then they just replace the name with the stylized U

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
"Wii U: New and future Mario games will play on this, not on the 80 dollar Wii in the next display over"

It has an added bonus of deciding where the Wii and Wii U store displays will be in relation to eachother!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Katana Gomai posted:

The earlier estimates I saw seemed to think that $150 was very close to its cost in parts.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Katana Gomai posted:

The German TV ad translates to "Wii U, the new HD console by Nintendo." At least over here they're being clear about that.

They're actually advertising for Wii U in German TV? I still haven't seen a single ad, printed or otherwise, for it.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
They should just have called it Wii 2, or alternatively if they didn't want to cash in on the success on the previous console just go with something completely else entirely. People who only casually have a look at gaming every once in a while can easily have a hard time realizing Wii U is a separate system and I can't blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chronojam posted:

Do they really have production going at full blast though? With sales being as low as they are I wouldn't be surprised if one of the lines was shuttered. Not to mention the possibility of a screen taking less time to manufacture than a console, though the opposite could also be true.

• Locked thread