Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

Critical posted:

Just watched Drive for the first time tonight (I know, shut up). Spoiling for ending details:

Early in the movie Driver has a staring contest with Benicio that he wins when the kid blinks. At the end he has a staring contest with the audience, winning when the audience assumes he's dead before he finally closes his eyes.

Might be a little bit of a stretch but I thought it was clever.

To be fair he has a staring contest with everyone in that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just noticed a nice touch in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. There's a scene where Blondie, the "good guy", is smoking a cigar and notices he's sitting on a box of explosives. The scene is framed so you can only read "EXPLOSIV" - the movie was also released in an Italian dub, and the Italian word for explosives is "explosivi." The scene works in English or in Italian, and it's the only written text in the movie that doesn't get read aloud by any characters.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

poonchasta posted:

...the already robotlike Driver.

To expand on this that, there is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0FlO8oKJfU

The driver sitting alone while a party goes on next door, Irene is being reunited with her husband. He silently works on part of an engine, a mechanical heart. "I don't eat, I don't sleep, I do nothing but think of you."

THE JORY
Jul 28, 2012

wyoming posted:

To expand on this that, there is this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0FlO8oKJfU

The driver sitting alone while a party goes on next door, Irene is being reunited with her husband. He silently works on part of an engine, a mechanical heart. "I don't eat, I don't sleep, I do nothing but think of you."

Not sure if it's deliberate but when the driver pulls the lamp over his head it looks like a halo. I think it makes sense because he's like the family's guardian angel.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
Drive has been talked about to death, but I just saw it so screw you. There's a scene early on where the driver is watching cartoons with Benicio. I can't remember the exact details, but the driver says "Is he a bad guy?" Benicio replies "Yeah," and the driver says "How do you know?" "Because he's a shark," says Benicio to the dude with a scorpion on his jacket.

THE JORY posted:

Not sure if it's deliberate but when the driver pulls the lamp over his head it looks like a halo. I think it makes sense because he's like the family's guardian angel.

That's got to be intentional, but the halo is sitting askance, at a weird angle. If the driver is an angel he's certainly a nontraditional angel.

ItsThatGuy
Jul 12, 2006
You never want to be that guy, or do you?
Speaking of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World:

The ".vs" battle tag only appears right before Scott actually defeats the Evil Ex. For the longest time, I thought that it just marked the start of the fight. Well, it doesn't appear when Scott first fights Gideon--the time when he loses and "dies".

Also, in Terminator 2, when they're at Cyberdyne Systems and the good Terminator is holding off the police, one of the computerized eye messages that comes up is "Human casualties: 0.0" Why does he need the decimal point?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ItsThatGuy posted:

Also, in Terminator 2, when they're at Cyberdyne Systems and the good Terminator is holding off the police, one of the computerized eye messages that comes up is "Human casualties: 0.0" Why does he need the decimal point?
Let's attribute it to a firmware quirk that gets fixed in the next movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ItsThatGuy posted:

In case of midget cops?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh, another subtle Terminator-vision moment in T2 is when the guy blows cigar smoke in the T-800's face- a flashing readout starts displaying all the chemicals and carcinogens in the smoke as he analyzes it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ItsThatGuy posted:

A casualty could also be considered someone who was injured badly enough that they can no longer fight in any capacity. If you cripple a guy you didn't kill him but he's not going to be on SWAT anymore. Kind of like how there were a ton of earlier weapons that would rip a guy open, but wouldn't necessarily kill him. Because if you hurt a guy badly enough he's not fighting and his buddy that drags him off the field isn't fighting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Perhaps it is like tackles in football.. If more than one terminator kills a guy they split it :D

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

priznat posted:

Perhaps it is like tackles in football.. If more than one terminator kills a guy they split it :D

I hadn't thought of that before but it actually makes more sense than my previous held belief that SKYNET is just just that precise.
This is my new held answer for when I watch this movie (it's my all-time favorite) with other people and they inevitably ask. AHH-Nold's programming was exactly the same as other T-800s aside for mission and target parameters. His HUD would be nearly identical to all other units.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A much better question would be why does he need a HUD at all? Presumably his brain would be designed to register and process that kind of information directly, rather than require an interface with a human sense.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Maybe the casualty thingy is just an overall percentage. Once you start killing enough people, you aren't in whole numbers any longer.

Robocop had a HUD, too, but his can easily be explained away as it was always recording video that could be reviewed by humans. The terminators could have been designed with the same purpose by the military before Skynet took over (I know nothing of the extended universe or whatever, but it's plausible.)

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Anything past the decimal could be someone who is wounded enough that they are still alive, but will be dead if they don't get any medical treatment soon enough.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Robocop was also built around a human brain and I think still had Murphy's eyes, so a HUD isn't entirely implausible. But I actually like that explanation because then that scene in Terminator 1 where the T-800 tells the hotel guy to go gently caress himself means that at some point during military terminator design and production, some team was tasked with developing a Give Smartass Answers subroutine and a way to visually verify it worked correctly.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The Terminators were also originally machines wired into Skynet for use by human militaries. The overlay from Arnie's point of view is probably just one of many holdovers that Skynet never got around to replacing. Kind of like how in Salvation the control terminals had USB ports.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Not sure about the film thing but fart jokes were indescribably popular well before this. In fact, Mel Brooks' character William J. Le Petomane is named after a famous French flatulist.

The oldest known joke in the world, c. 1900 BCE, is a fart joke.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ItsThatGuy posted:

The terminator is running a 32 bit OS, so it's a floating point number to have a max kill value of 1E+37 instead of a miserly 4 billion if it was an unsigned int :science:

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010
The Terminator has a HUD because it is a stylized movie and it looks really cool on screen.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
So two half-injured cops = one dead cop

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The decimal is for someone like a kindergarten cop. He's a cop but not a REAL cop so he doesn't get a whole number.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It comes into play in the obscure Sega Genesis game Cop and a Half vs. Terminator.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Terminal Entropy posted:

Anything past the decimal could be someone who is wounded enough that they are still alive, but will be dead if they don't get any medical treatment soon enough.

Since Skynet is a military project I assume "casualty" is used in the military sense which means it's not just deaths. Maybe it's like pilots with confirmed kills, and the terminator can shoot a guy (or its pretty sure it did) and its computer isn't willing to tack on a "full" confirmed casualty.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I saw Argo recently. I liked the bit at the cultural place in Iran where Tony needed to get approval for the movie. The clerk deliberately crosses out Kingdom of Iran, writes Republic of Iran in it's place, then continues to sign the approval.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Feb 26, 2013

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I saw Argo recently. I liked the bit at the cultural place in Iran where Tony needed to get approval for the movie. The clerk deliberately crosses out Kingdom of Iran, writes Republic of Iran in it's place, then continues to sign the approval.

Also note the rectangle of less faded wallpaper behind him where the Shah's portrait previously hung.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Razorwired posted:

The Terminators were also originally machines wired into Skynet for use by human militaries. The overlay from Arnie's point of view is probably just one of many holdovers that Skynet never got around to replacing. Kind of like how in Salvation the control terminals had USB ports.

I liked how all the machines in Salvation had to interact with each other through voice interfaces for exposition reasons instead of some sort of instant communication like, you know, computers do. That was such an awful movie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
For the Terminator decimals, a biologist friend of mine always insisted it was to note, for some stupid reason, the genders of the dead humans killed. For example, if you were noting that 2 male snakes and 4 females were found, it would be 2.4. Or selling an unsexed snake, 0.0.1.

I don't know, he always said it made sense.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

God, you all missed the point about the Terminator HUD. There's one field that lists simply DEATHS and doesn't have a decimal point. The other field displays CASUAL TIES visible. A graphic necktie is 1.0, a bow tie counts as 0.2, bolo ties as 0.7, and so on.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mescal posted:

God, you all missed the point about the Terminator HUD. There's one field that lists simply DEATHS and doesn't have a decimal point. The other field displays CASUAL TIES visible. A graphic necktie is 1.0, a bow tie counts as 0.2, bolo ties as 0.7, and so on.

This is the perfect end to this derail

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Stop sexin' the snakes, ya preverts!

Atticus Bongman
Oct 12, 2009
In Silver Linings Playbook, one of Pat's triggers is his wedding song -- Stevie Wonder's "My Cherie Amour." It was the song playing in his house when he showed up early at home one day and found his wife in the shower with a coworker. When Pat and Tiffany are rehearsing their dance routine later on, and Pat appears to be getting his poo poo together somewhat, they have Stevie Wonder's "Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing" playing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was watching Alien the other night. When they're discussing how to track it down, and Ash mentions that he's made a motion detector, Ripley immediately asks him how it works, and just for a moment he rolls his eyes as if she's too stupid to exist in his universe.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
In The Departed, and I might be off on this being subtle, but that bit where Costigan is told to meet the crew and given the wrong building number - he was given the wrong number on purpose, not by accident, I just never realized it

The dude that gives him the wrong number turns out to be a cop plant, and says that he (and presumably everyone else) understood that 'the guy who doesn't show up today is the rat'. So he was trying to frame a random member of the gang to take the fall by sending them to the wrong place, and it happened to be Costigan.

Then when the guy gets shot and is dying anyway, he admits this. I thought he was just explaining that he knew who Costigan really was, but it clicked recently that he was also confessing to try to set him up, because he didn't know Costigan was an actual undercover.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Supreme Allah posted:

In The Departed, and I might be off on this being subtle, but that bit where Costigan is told to meet the crew and given the wrong building number - he was given the wrong number on purpose, not by accident, I just never realized it

The dude that gives him the wrong number turns out to be a cop plant, and says that he (and presumably everyone else) understood that 'the guy who doesn't show up today is the rat'. So he was trying to frame a random member of the gang to take the fall by sending them to the wrong place, and it happened to be Costigan.

Then when the guy gets shot and is dying anyway, he admits this. I thought he was just explaining that he knew who Costigan really was, but it clicked recently that he was also confessing to try to set him up, because he didn't know Costigan was an actual undercover.

See, I didn't quite read it that way, but I could be mistaken. I thought that he had given him the wrong address by mistake, and was genuinely surprised that Costigan shows up at the right place. Though I guess neither example explains why he didn't rat him out to everyone else with his dying breath.

I also don't think he was a plant. The other gangsters just came to the conclusion "whelp, dead guy was the plant. We're safe now"

It's been a while since I've seen the movie though, so I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Priznat put it clearer, but that's how I view it.

CzarChasm has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 1, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CzarChasm posted:

See, I didn't quite read it that way, but I could be mistaken. I thought that he had given him the wrong address by mistake, and was genuinely surprised that Costigan shows up at the right place. Though I guess neither example explains why he didn't rat him out to everyone else with his dying breath.

I also don't think he was a plant. The other gangsters just came to the conclusion "whelp, dead guy was the plant. We're safe now"

It's been a while since I've seen the movie though, so I could be mistaken.

If he gave Costigan the wrong address by mistake, he wouldn't have realized he'd given the wrong address and therefore wouldn't have been surprised when Costigan shows up.

Also, the reason they figured the dead guy was a plant was because the poor attempt to hide the dead body in a swamp was discovered only hours after being "hidden", leading to an extremely quick identification of Deadcopitis by the media the very next day.

Source - I just watched this movie last weekend.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought the dead irish guy was not a rat, he figured it out while dying. The police fabricated the whole story of him being an officer in order to throw the mobsters off the scent, however the mobsters didn't believe that he was, thinking that it was a planted story.

He realized after the fact (possibly even while he was dying of the gunshot) that he slipped up and gave Costigan the wrong address.

That's my take on it anyway. It is fairly ambiguous though.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

I thought the dead irish guy was not a rat, he figured it out while dying. The police fabricated the whole story of him being an officer in order to throw the mobsters off the scent, however the mobsters didn't believe that he was, thinking that it was a planted story.

He realized after the fact (possibly even while he was dying of the gunshot) that he slipped up and gave Costigan the wrong address.

That's my take on it anyway. It is fairly ambiguous though.

I think Costello was just wrong about his dead cop decoy theory. He had more than one of his guys in the cops. The police or another law enforcement group could have had more than one guy with his crew. I can't think of any other other reason for the dying guy to keep Costigan's secret.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I just watched The Untouchables for the first time last night. I really appreciated this:
In one of his first scenes, Eliot Ness briefs his unit of officers that they must give up drinking because they must enforce prohibition first by example.
The only two members of his four man squad who are shown to drink, are the ones who don't make it through the film.
Wallace drinks some of the impounded Canadian whiskey as it leaks from a barrel, and Malone pours himself a glass of whiskey right before he's whacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Supreme Allah posted:

I think Costello was just wrong about his dead cop decoy theory. He had more than one of his guys in the cops. The police or another law enforcement group could have had more than one guy with his crew. I can't think of any other other reason for the dying guy to keep Costigan's secret.

Didn't the guy, when dying, say something like "Why didn't I rat you out", in a tone clearly meant to be saying "figure it out", imploring Costigan to figure out then and there that he was indeed a rat/cop himself?