Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Mak0rz posted:

Sounds good. I'll just stick with MSE and Secunia, then. Thanks for the info!

EDIT
Okay, now I'm having two more issues related to PSI. Updating things seem to be stuck in a state of perpetual updating, and something really odd is happening to the GUI (image):

Guess I'm using either a different version or an outdated one... Mine looks way different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grawl posted:

Guess I'm using either a different version or an outdated one... Mine looks way different.

Click "Detailed View" under the settings button.

Does it typically take a hell of a long time to update things for you? Things seem to say either "Updating" or "Analyzing update" for a long time to the point where it seems it's hanging. When I restart the program when it's stuck updating it reports the programs as updated.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 28, 2013

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Mak0rz posted:

Click "Detailed View" under the settings button.

Does it typically take a hell of a long time to update things for you? Things seem to say either "Updating" or "Analyzing update" for a long time to the point where it seems it's hanging. When I restart the program when it's stuck updating it reports the programs as updated.

I just never look at it, since it just starts itself upon boot and scans and works its magic. FileHippo is a hell of a lot faster, but doesn't do auto-updates and misses a lot of applications.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grawl posted:

I just never look at it, since it just starts itself upon boot and scans and works its magic. FileHippo is a hell of a lot faster, but doesn't do auto-updates and misses a lot of applications.

Okay, things are in working order now.

Another question: I notice that some Microsoft products are on its list (such as .NET framework and Office programs; even Windows 7 is on the list :psyduck:). Is it okay to let this handle it when Windows Update does it just fine?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, things are in working order now.

Another question: I notice that some Microsoft products are on its list (such as .NET framework and Office programs; even Windows 7 is on the list :psyduck:). Is it okay to let this handle it when Windows Update does it just fine?

It will cry out (well, pop up a message in the systray) if there's anything Microsoft related, and it's always Windows Updates. It won't attempt to update on its own, it'll always open the Windows Updates window.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

stubblyhead posted:

I don't know about anything with the same key combinations, but you can change your input language to United States-International, which will create dead keys for diacritical marks and make your right-hand Alt key into AltGr for additional fancy things like ð and µ and poo poo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#US-International

As I said, I want the exact same key combinations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any program (paid/free) which can recover deleted images that were hidden? I've tried Recuva with no success so far.

VVV
Thanks I'm giving that a shot now.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 28, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Photorec can probably do it, I don't think it gives no fucks about flags

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That worked! Thanks a lot :).

Now to sort through 100k images :v:.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dodoman posted:

That worked! Thanks a lot :).

Now to sort through 100k images :v:.

Having been there, Ifranview's thumbnail viewer is gonna be your friend!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Which disk imaging/restore software would people recommend? Ideally I'd want something that was pretty flexible with scheduling, i.e. keep an image for each of the last 7 days, then weekly for the past month, then monthly for a year. It'd need to be as reliable as possible too.
I've heard good things about Acronis, but I've also heard that sometimes restores can be tricky or failure prone. Is this the case?

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

What's the best Windows backup software that works with network drives? I tried Crashplan but it doesn't work with network drives.

I want something that's automatic, does incremental backups and would allow me to do a full restore of my system like time machine on a mac.

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2013

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What's the best Windows backup software that works with network drives? I tried Crashplan but it doesn't work with network drives.

I'm a big fan of syncback http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Apparently, I installed a Windows 7 Professional on my laptop which has a licence for Home Premium. Is there any way to down-grade or something, or do I have to reinstall all the poo poo?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Boz0r posted:

Apparently, I installed a Windows 7 Professional on my laptop which has a licence for Home Premium. Is there any way to down-grade or something, or do I have to reinstall all the poo poo?

No, you have to reinstall.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I need some form of cyber cafe software to control access to 2 public computers in my hostel

All the ones i can find look like they are from 1998, could anyone recommend one? all i need to be able to do is set it to lock on a timer which is controlled from my main pc.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Is there a bit of software that will scale back the max processor speed automatically if the temperature gets too high?

On my laptop I have to keep the max processor state at 80% in my current room temperature whenever I'm exporting videos from Premiere, but for normal use I would like my burst speed to be back to 100%. Something that is constantly monitoring the average temp and then scaling it up and down would be amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metalslug posted:

Is there a bit of software that will scale back the max processor speed automatically if the temperature gets too high?

On my laptop I have to keep the max processor state at 80% in my current room temperature whenever I'm exporting videos from Premiere, but for normal use I would like my burst speed to be back to 100%.

What CPU do you have? It should throttle for thermal events automatically if it's working right, unless it's an older one.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.

Install Gentoo posted:

What CPU do you have? It should throttle for thermal events automatically if it's working right, unless it's an older one.

Core i7 3632QM.

Max supported temp is 105 celsius, and without me pulling back the max speed it'll get to 95 degrees (203 fahrenheit). Considering an export might take an hour, I don't think it's probably a great idea to run it that hot for that long...

80% takes me down to 75 degrees.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metalslug posted:

Core i7 3632QM.

Max supported temp is 105 celsius, and without me pulling back the max speed it'll get to 95 degrees (203 fahrenheit). Considering an export might take an hour, I don't think it's probably a great idea to run it that hot for that long...

Your CPU will be fine running at 95 C for the duration of long exports. If it approaches a dangerous temperature it will underclock itself just fine.

Though that does seem a little high to be running, so maybe you should open up the computer and make sure you clear out any dust?

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

Install Gentoo posted:

Your CPU will be fine running at 95 C for the duration of long exports. If it approaches a dangerous temperature it will underclock itself just fine.

Though that does seem a little high to be running, so maybe you should open up the computer and make sure you clear out any dust?

It's brand new - no dust :P

95 is tops, it sits around 80-85, bursting up to there every now and then. I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything about reasonable sustained max temps in laptops, but I assumed that keeping it down a bit would prolong the life of my machine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metalslug posted:

95 is tops, it sits around 80-85, bursting up to there every now and then. I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything about reasonable sustained max temps in laptops, but I assumed that keeping it down a bit would prolong the life of my machine.

If you're worried about it, then get simple stand with fans in it like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I6F0T2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

No nonsense, and will provide plenty airflow to ensure the components will be fine when you're doing long encodes.

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

Huh, awesome! I'm new to the laptop game, so didn't even know about that. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's the best Blu-Ray software now? Don't expect there's anything free, but looking for something decent to work with media player or VLC.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Is there any software similar to HFS explorer that will allow me to both read and write to hfs formatted disks? Hfs explorer is read only, and since I'm working on images on my personal pc and school macs, it would be really nice to be able to transfer images back and forth. I could just format the disk to fat32, but i would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Genderfluid posted:

Is there any software similar to HFS explorer that will allow me to both read and write to hfs formatted disks? Hfs explorer is read only, and since I'm working on images on my personal pc and school macs, it would be really nice to be able to transfer images back and forth. I could just format the disk to fat32, but i would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Macdrive is what I use. Not free though.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Metalslug posted:

Core i7 3632QM.

Metalslug posted:

95 is tops, it sits around 80-85

For a brand new laptop, these kind of temperatures are not acceptable by any margin. I have an old laptop that is probably covered back and forth in dust and my filthy smoking habit and it doesn't even reach 65C on the CPU. Granted it's "just" a dualcore @ 1.75Ghz, but 80C on a new laptop that is idle is just asking for trouble. Return that thing and get it fixed, this is asking for trouble.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 4, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Thanks, it's worth paying for I guess.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Genderfluid posted:

If you'd consider formatting, then ExFAT is supported by both Windows XP SP3 and beyond and Macs after 10.6.5 (or something close to that.) It's far better than FAT32.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I had to reinstall Windows recently and now it's bugging me for my activation key - except I have no idea where my disc and key is from the last time I installed (I downloaded and used an install disc to reinstall). Is there any way to recover my old key or am I poo poo out of luck and need to buy a new key (ughhhhh)? I still have my windows.old folder from the previous install, if that helps.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

flatluigi posted:

I had to reinstall Windows recently and now it's bugging me for my activation key - except I have no idea where my disc and key is from the last time I installed (I downloaded and used an install disc to reinstall). Is there any way to recover my old key or am I poo poo out of luck and need to buy a new key (ughhhhh)? I still have my windows.old folder from the previous install, if that helps.

You could have pulled the key from the system before reloading by using something like Belarc Advisor, but I don't know if there's a way to pull it from anything in windows.old. Maybe if there's a copy of the old registry in there, the key is generally encoded there, but I don't know if anything can extract that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So my work in their infinite wisdom burned a bunch of DVD's of the company meetings over the last couple years and then deleted the avi files. They are asking me to rip the DVD's back to avi for older meetings. What's the best free software to do this easily?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

So my work in their infinite wisdom burned a bunch of DVD's of the company meetings over the last couple years and then deleted the avi files. They are asking me to rip the DVD's back to avi for older meetings. What's the best free software to do this easily?

Handbrake.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don Lapre posted:

Handbrake.

Fantastic, thanks!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

Fantastic, thanks!

I would also rip them to h264 at this point instead of avi unless they are using them on something that can only play avi.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

I would also rip them to h264 at this point instead of avi unless they are using them on something that can only play avi.

We still have older XP machines that don't have the right codecs. We really don't need to give out h264 support.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone have recommendations on backup? I've been doing a weekly backup via Windows Backup to my file server, this generally takes a really long time and now that I'm doing it over wireless it's even longer. It takes so long that I usually end up cancelling it as I get terrible disk performance while it's running.

Ideally I'd do a monthly full backup with weekly incrementals of Files/Settings.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

For some reason, aero stopped working. (I'm running Win7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit). No transparency effects, no taskbar window previews, nothing. I've tried rebooting, changing between different aero themes, and I've even tried the force enable "hack" outlined here.

Every time I search for something like "force enable aero on windows 7" I just get the regedit method outlined above, which did not work for me even after a reboot.

Sincerely doubt it's a hardware incompatibility issue:
Phenom II X4 955, 3.2GHz
8 gigs RAM
GeForce GTX 460

Any ideas?

Argyle fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 7, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did you try reinstalling your graphics drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

What happens if you run "Find and fix problems with transparency..." (start typing transpa into the start menu)