Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tamir Lenk posted:

Let's do this!

I'm in. I'm sure we can come up with some other interseting spots to visit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Posted the details in Goon rides to collect interest. PM or e-mail me and we can work out the details over the winter. If we get a larger than expected crew I'd like to break it up to smaller sets and just meet up at destinations. gently caress trying to keep a ton of bikes together in traffic.

[/derail]

Thing I love about riding: Planning, seeing, and doing things that I would never bother with if it were not for owning a motorcycle and wanting a destination.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
CARB is absolutely the worst thing about California. There's not much else to complain about really.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

aventari posted:

CARB is absolutely the worst thing about California. There's not much else to complain about really.

It doesn't really affect bikes that much though. I know it limits some of the ones we can get, but practically speaking it doesn't limit you as to what you can do with a bike. On cars it's so terrible it makes me cry. No modifying the intake or exhaust in any way etc. As I recall you can't even put an aftermarket air box on your vehicle.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Posted the details in Goon rides to collect interest. PM or e-mail me and we can work out the details over the winter. If we get a larger than expected crew I'd like to break it up to smaller sets and just meet up at destinations. gently caress trying to keep a ton of bikes together in traffic.

[/derail]

Thing I love about riding: Planning, seeing, and doing things that I would never bother with if it were not for owning a motorcycle and wanting a destination.

I vote we goonrush the funeral home with a minigolf course. I think it's in palatine.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, it's more like they are billing you for a continuous service they assume you are still taking advantage of.

This CA DMV discussion only applies if the vehicle was not put on "Planned non-operation" status, or PNO. It's $5 per year. I just took my Goldwing off PNO in August so I know it works.

The back reg fees thing only applies if the reg fees were unpaid and PNO was not checked off. However you can't not pay, then claim PNO after the fact.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I loooooooove the smell of new gear. I bought some new gloves, and am wearing them now to break them in (it's quite hard to type with them on) and I just keep smelling them. It's like my hands are a gorgeous creaky luxurious leather armchair.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I loooooooove the smell of new gear. I bought some new gloves, and am wearing them now to break them in (it's quite hard to type with them on) and I just keep smelling them. It's like my hands are a gorgeous creaky luxurious leather armchair.

Dear Sagebrush, how do you type with boxing^H^H^H^H^H^Hbiking gloves on?

I'm in the same situation, I bought a pair of harness boots last night and I've been kind of obsessively removing every single scuff and wearing them everywhere. They smell good too. Got them at the western store because holy goddamn I couldn't even get my feet into any of the poo poo at Cycle Gear. I know they may not be as tough as bike-specific boots, but they're better quality than loving Bilt and they actually fit me, so I'm going to go with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm in the same situation, I bought a pair of harness boots last night and I've been kind of obsessively removing every single scuff and wearing them everywhere. They smell good too. Got them at the western store because holy goddamn I couldn't even get my feet into any of the poo poo at Cycle Gear. I know they may not be as tough as bike-specific boots, but they're better quality than loving Bilt and they actually fit me, so I'm going to go with it.

I read that with the voice and the clacks and everything!

Rather than going to Cycle Gear, try your local BMW Motorad dealership. That's where I found my boots. BMW riders tend to be a little larger than Cycle Gear's clientelle.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I read that with the voice and the clacks and everything!

Rather than going to Cycle Gear, try your local BMW Motorad dealership. That's where I found my boots. BMW riders tend to be a little larger than Cycle Gear's clientelle.

Hey, I resent that implication! :v: But seriously, I'll give BMW a shot next time. My left foot is rather wider, and my calf muscles are sufficiently large that I can only pull my pants leg above them with difficulty (I blame too many years of slogging through mud on the farm). I was just thrilled that this store had an 11W boot; helps that it doesn't look like a prop from a bad 80s science fiction film (made out of black pseudo-leather, covered in odd bumps and ridges like an alien condom)

While we're doing gearchat, is it normal for the knee protectors on overpants to hang just below your knee when standing? I tried some on at Cycle Gear and that was the problem I ran into. The legs were too long too. Is this another case where I need to hit up BMW and get gear for people who are fatter than me? I mean I'm kinda fat but still smaller than 90% of Harley riders, maybe it's just that Cycle Gear has a crap selection of pants (seemed like it).

If the BMW gear comes with roundels and a polishing cloth, count me in.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah man. They come up when you bend your legs. Like the position they're in when you ride a motorcycle.

You know like how people's suitpants fit them when they're standing, but when they sit down you have to look at Uncle's nasty socks and mid leg all drat night?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ummm are we sure those boots are for guys?

And yeah, the knee protection should fall just below the knee while standing, because while you're on the bike your knees will be bent and the pants with hike up a little, bringing the protection right over your knees.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ummm are we sure those boots are for guys?

And yeah, the knee protection should fall just below the knee while standing, because while you're on the bike your knees will be bent and the pants with hike up a little, bringing the protection right over your knees.

Well the "men size 11" tag inside seems pretty straightforward. I like them and the soles seem nicely grippy.

Don't know why I didn't think of the pants hiking up thing before. I should go pick some up this week then.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

Yeah man. They come up when you bend your legs. Like the position they're in when you ride a motorcycle.

You know like how people's suitpants fit them when they're standing, but when they sit down you have to look at Uncle's nasty socks and mid leg all drat night?

Also a good point, you want your pants a little long because you're gonna be wearing them while sitting on a bike, get 'em a little short and you'll look goddamn ridiculous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
On the other hand, your jacket is supposed to fit a little short in the sleeves, sitting at the pisiform bone (that little nub of bone that sticks out of the outside of your wrist) when you're in the riding position. This is because your gauntlets reach back and cover the first three inches of the sleeve anyway, and having the (tightly-fitted and stiff) jacket end before the actual articulation of your wrist means you get maximum mobility.

At least, that's what the guy at the Dainese store told me about leather racing jackets. I don't know how it applies to other styles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

On the other hand, your jacket is supposed to fit a little short in the sleeves, sitting at the pisiform bone (that little nub of bone that sticks out of the outside of your wrist) when you're in the riding position. This is because your gauntlets reach back and cover the first three inches of the sleeve anyway, and having the (tightly-fitted and stiff) jacket end before the actual articulation of your wrist means you get maximum mobility.

At least, that's what the guy at the Dainese store told me about leather racing jackets. I don't know how it applies to other styles.

I'm tall and skinny so having a jacket which matches my arms (it does stop at that bone, all the armour lines up perfectly) also means I have a jacket which bunches up stupidly at the chest because of my emaciated torso. And I had to go out of my way to find a jacket which was cut even remotely close to that (Ixon Copper).

My riding pants, strangely, fit perfectly.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Slavvy posted:

I'm tall and skinny so having a jacket which matches my arms (it does stop at that bone, all the armour lines up perfectly) also means I have a jacket which bunches up stupidly at the chest because of my emaciated torso. And I had to go out of my way to find a jacket which was cut even remotely close to that (Ixon Copper).

My riding pants, strangely, fit perfectly.

I'm the same, if you're buying one in future the Frank Thomas stuff fits quite well, way better than the other stuff I tried.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wootcannon posted:

I'm the same, if you're buying one in future the Frank Thomas stuff fits quite well, way better than the other stuff I tried.

The one FT jacket I could find in my area was the last remaining one, looked brilliant, was XXL. drat you New Zealand...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs, so I definitely understand the problems skinny guys have getting motorcycle gear. I've tried on a number of brands, and the only two that fit me decently so far are Alpinestars and Dainese. Dainese in particular fits me just beautifully, and I didn't like the looks of any A* stuff, so I'm gradually turning into a Dainese ad as I become able to afford it all.

Trying on stuff meant for a more "American" fit was just hilarious. Either the arms are right and the chest is like wearing a leather potato sack, or the chest is right and the arms are three inches too short.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I'm 5'11" and 145 lbs, so I definitely understand the problems skinny guys have getting motorcycle gear. I've tried on a number of brands, and the only two that fit me decently so far are Alpinestars and Dainese. Dainese in particular fits me just beautifully, and I didn't like the looks of any A* stuff, so I'm gradually turning into a Dainese ad as I become able to afford it all.

Trying on stuff meant for a more "American" fit was just hilarious. Either the arms are right and the chest is like wearing a leather potato sack, or the chest is right and the arms are three inches too short.

Yeah, I tried kevlar jeans and I looked even more special needs than normal. All the boot chat is reminding me I need to get some new ones at some point, my left one is ripped behind the zip for some reason, probably the kickstand.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

We have pretty much the same dimensions (5'10 and 150) and I used to be even skinnier and I am right there with you. Thankfully both jackets I've ever bought (Dainese and Teknic) both fit perfect even though I never tried them on before I ordered. Buying T-shirts though...

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

6'3" and 154. When I wear my rain gear I turn into a drag chute.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Did someone rename the gear thread?

Did my oil and filters last weekend at my workshop, which is on the very south end of the island. As I was pulling out to ride home I saw a huge squall coming up off the south coast. So I raced it all the way up the west coast, I could look back over the bays and see the rain actually coming down on the other side.

:smug: 30 seconds after I closed the hatch (I live on my boat) it absolutely pissed down.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Honestly, what's it like living on an island 15km across at the widest? I can't even fathom it. I've got an errand to run after work that's going to make me drive twice that distance.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Maybe I'm weird/stupid but I enjoy the feeling of the bike squirming a bit as it regains traction after hitting sand/puddle/whatever. The little front end float then rear end slide. I had fun on the way to work this morning, leftover salt/sand from the last storm and rain.

drat I need to get back to the track.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Equal parts great and frustrating, really. It's got all the features of small town life (everyone knows your business, not much to do, incompetent bureaucratic nightmare of a government) with the added bonus that it's expensive and impractical for most people to escape. We have a disproportionate amount of mental illness as a result. The roads are small, slow and bordered by granite walls that make almost every corner a blind one.

Hmm, I'm probably not selling it very well. In it's defense; If you need something and it's on island it's a maximum of 15 minutes away, you get a lot of leisure time because your day isn't eaten up by travel. If you need something from outside the island it can be a ball ache but we have no sales tax here, so ordering from UK/EU stuff comes very cheap (about 15% cheaper) and you can get next day delivery on pretty much anything from the UK. The quality of living is very high, we have the worlds 7th best life expectancy. The unemployment rate is almost non existent and the wages are high. On top of all that it's super picturesque and loaded with history. Normandy/Brittany is only a short ferry ride away, too.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Did someone rename the gear thread?

Did my oil and filters last weekend at my workshop, which is on the very south end of the island. As I was pulling out to ride home I saw a huge squall coming up off the south coast. So I raced it all the way up the west coast, I could look back over the bays and see the rain actually coming down on the other side.

:smug: 30 seconds after I closed the hatch (I live on my boat) it absolutely pissed down.

Races island storms on his motorbike.
Lives on boat.
ReelBigLizard is literally Thomas Magnum. Or a Bond villain. :allears:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. A cop let me off for blatently riding like a dong at 1am when I told him I had just broken up with my fiancee.

3. The next day, upon learning this, the first thing my friend said to me was 'want to go for a ride?'

Bikes > Therapy. :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

1. A cop let me off for blatently riding like a dong at 1am when I told him I had just broken up with my fiancee.

3. The next day, upon learning this, the first thing my friend said to me was 'want to go for a ride?'

True story, also, now you have more money for bieks. Take it from experience here. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is, without exagerrating, my coping plan. I am sitting here budgeting out my new chain+sprockets, fork stuff etc and eventually getting myself onto a new bike which would have been impossible otherwise.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The randomly initiated conversations:

I was in line at the market a couple Sundays ago buying a big bag of habaneros and a bunch of garlic and stuff for the hot sauce I make. The pound of habaneros is usually what everyone comments on ("are you insane?"), but this time the middle-aged dude in front of me looked straight at my Dianese jacket and asked what I rode. When I replied "Sportster" he looked confused and started laughing. I inquired as to why, and he shrugged and said "I've never seen a Harley guy not wearing Harley gear!"

We spent the next five minutes in line talking frantically about Sportsters, his GSXR, and how awesome sumos are. When the checker asked him if he needed assistance to his car, he laughed and quipped "No; I'm a man!" I told him he sounded an awful lot like a Harley rider, which got a good laugh out of the checker who had been tolerating our inane jabber :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So, what time's your date?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So, what time's your date?

Hahah nah, it was just that I was wearing leather and palming some cloves and he had a crotch rocket you know, so we were joking about what kind of leather other men wea:stare:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I recently found out that my ex had broken up with me to date my brother, and they've been going out for the past four months while he lied to my face about it. Right around the same time, I was fired from my job. All of my time is spent renovating my house, or writing for school. Also, in renovating my house, my contractor has taken so long to do his goddamn job that he's completely tapped me out to the point I can't pay for installation of cable until my tenants pay for the next month's rent. I swear to god he breaks poo poo just to charge me for replacing it. Just this week he pulled a no call no show for Thursday or Friday, so I still don't have a kitchen. My tenants should be happy about that when they move the rest of their poo poo in this week! It is also winter, so my bike is in the garage for at least another few weeks. I think my head is going to explode.

I honestly feel like I would be OK with all of this if I could just ride. Already got fresh tires ready to put on in anticipation of spring.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

That is, without exagerrating, my coping plan. I am sitting here budgeting out my new chain+sprockets, fork stuff etc and eventually getting myself onto a new bike which would have been impossible otherwise.

Exactly what I did. :) Had to get rid of my 2009 ZX6R to cover the bills with the ex. Took me 10 months afterwards but I'm back on a bike and I'm happier than I've ever been. Ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Today on the way home from work I came around a corner to find that a minor residential street near my house was being re-sealed out of the blue. Traffic in both directions was stopped by lollipop men and tarmac was being poured. I rode up to the front of the queue and the guy with the stop/go sign waved me onto the sidewalk. I rode past them on the sidewalk and the sign guy on the other end nodded at me. Feels good man.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I got an email from my father today after telling him about my engine explosion on the weekend. His reaction, beyond the usual glad you're safe, be careful, ride smart etc. was

"You probably shouldn't be riding on the freeways on that bike. If you're going to ride on the freeways you need to get something newer, with more power, so that it's not running up against its limits. Maybe something new enough to have anti-lock brakes and stuff?"

A good dad.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's probably the best answer I've heard and will ever hear to that situation.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Sagebrush posted:

I got an email from my father today after telling him about my engine explosion on the weekend. His reaction, beyond the usual glad you're safe, be careful, ride smart etc. was

"You probably shouldn't be riding on the freeways on that bike. If you're going to ride on the freeways you need to get something newer, with more power, so that it's not running up against its limits. Maybe something new enough to have anti-lock brakes and stuff?"

A good dad.

Hopefully, you'll be going bike shopping this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

A good dad.

Enjoy your new ZX14! :buddy:

• Locked thread