Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dino. posted:

I don't care for glass or ceramic, because it's heavy, it's breakable, and it takes up too much space overall. My mixing bowls are all stainless steel. I bought the bulk of them at the dollar store, Big Lot's, and the local friendly restaurant supply store. The website you linked has reasonable prices, as long as the shipping doesn't cost too much. You might have luck by going to aforementioned stores in person, and save on the shipping. Unless these stores are so far away that the petrol cost would outweigh the $10 of shipping costs that the website will charge you.

Fake edit: Just checked. For 6 bowls, which cost around $7.74, the shipping cost is $7.99. :gonk: Just go to the store.

Hmm good call on the shipping. I live in NYC so I just googled and found this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bowery-restaurant-supply-co-new-york

Seems legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

No Wave posted:

Do you mean nothing else?

I use mine for a lot of things. Anything I want grill marks on and don't want to fire up the grill.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Doh004 posted:

Hmm good call on the shipping. I live in NYC so I just googled and found this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/bowery-restaurant-supply-co-new-york

Seems legit?

Bowery is good stuff. Chef Restaurant Supply is also good. Win Depot is also good.

PS if you're in NYC, hit me up some time. We can hang out and drink a beer, or eat a food. :)

If you don't mind the trek into Queens, check out Patel Brothers in Jackson Heights. I can't recall the exact address, but it's in that area. In fact, while you're there, check out Pacific Supermarket in that same area. And if you really don't mind the trek, go to Flushing Chinatown, and check out any of the restaurant supply stores along Main Street. They have very competitive prices to the ones in Manhattan. If you don't mind the sliiiiightly higher prices, Pearl River Mart: http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/index.html

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dino. posted:

Bowery is good stuff. Chef Restaurant Supply is also good. Win Depot is also good.

PS if you're in NYC, hit me up some time. We can hang out and drink a beer, or eat a food. :)

If you don't mind the trek into Queens, check out Patel Brothers in Jackson Heights. I can't recall the exact address, but it's in that area. In fact, while you're there, check out Pacific Supermarket in that same area. And if you really don't mind the trek, go to Flushing Chinatown, and check out any of the restaurant supply stores along Main Street. They have very competitive prices to the ones in Manhattan. If you don't mind the sliiiiightly higher prices, Pearl River Mart: http://www.pearlriver.com/v2/index.html

Thanks for this, I'll see what I can come up with :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Panini press plates are usually cast iron.

Never owned one. =/

I did sell a lot of the as a cashier at JCPenney. They were usually coated in something non-stick.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
I checked search and the last talk about blenders was a while ago so I feel safe asking this.

I love making soups and using the blender with them but my food processor is fairly small and leaks. Blenders are way easier to clean and are better with liquids anyway. Can someone recommend a decent sized blender that's good for soup? Nice and big would be good so I could do a whole pot of soup in one or two blends. Up to $100 or so, or at least the best brands to look for. Thanks!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

gobboboy posted:

I checked search and the last talk about blenders was a while ago so I feel safe asking this.

I love making soups and using the blender with them but my food processor is fairly small and leaks. Blenders are way easier to clean and are better with liquids anyway. Can someone recommend a decent sized blender that's good for soup? Nice and big would be good so I could do a whole pot of soup in one or two blends. Up to $100 or so, or at least the best brands to look for. Thanks!

Get an immersion blender for soup! Way less expensive for a good immersion blender than for a good tradtional blender, you don't have to worry about transferring hot liquids, capacity is never a problem, and it takes up less space.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
I like you.

Okay, any recommendations for that then?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

gobboboy posted:

Do it in one pass!
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB...t+stick+blender

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I bought this on a whim a year or two ago. I don't know what I did without it re: soups.

I made mashed potatoes with it last night, and it literally took me 45 seconds from grabbing it, plugging it in, mashing my potatoes, rinsing it off, and putting it back hanging where I keep it.

no idea how it cleans so easily, but it's nice.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Stick blenders have so many uses, it's probably my 2nd most used piece of equipment in the kitchen, right behind the steam kettle. Steam kettles are goddamn awesome because its near impossible to burn something in them.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

We just replaced our SmartStick (with another SmartStick) after it died. It's not very sturdy and we crushed a lot of ice cubes for smoothies with it. But if you go easy on it, it's great.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Well awesome. I got that and a nice big pasta insert. I thank amazon and impulse buying for these things. Oh, and you guys. :)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Enkor posted:

We just replaced our SmartStick (with another SmartStick) after it died. It's not very sturdy and we crushed a lot of ice cubes for smoothies with it. But if you go easy on it, it's great.

You can crush ice with a stick blender? Wow...Never even thought of trying that.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Shooting Blanks posted:

You can crush ice with a stick blender? Wow...Never even thought of trying that.

Yeah kinda. Frozen strawberries, too. It has to be in enough liquid though or it gets stuck. Then we found our blender and didn't look back.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
In my mind the best use of conventional blenders is for ice, smoothies, etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Unless you're going to Vitamix levels of blending (purees/soups ground so finely that you can't distinguish the particulate matter on your palette) you might as well use a stick blender. But if you do ever upgrade, butternut squash is never the same... not to mention the glory that is celery root.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Butternut squash puree is the best. I wish I had a Vitamix at home. :(

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross
I would say stick blenders aren't substitutes for a counter top blender. Don't get me wrong I love them, they are easy to clean and easy to use but you will never get anywhere near the level of smoothness you get from a blender. To be honest when I was growing up we never had a blender and always used a bamix and because of that I've thought about buying one but now that I have a blender (it's an attachment for a kenwood so I can't recommend a stand alone unit) I can't see the point. The only really useful things would be quickly mixing hydrocolliods in or emulsifying sauces but I can do that in a blender or another way if I don't mind it being a bit more fiddly and messy.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I want to make some flan, which would require me to make some caramel, but I only have some old non-stick pots and pans. What's a good pot for this high heat sort of application?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

krnhotwings posted:

I want to make some flan, which would require me to make some caramel, but I only have some old non-stick pots and pans. What's a good pot for this high heat sort of application?

Anything at all will do.

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

Non stick is fine, and actually much easier to clean up afterwards. If you have a light colored pan it will be easier to check the color. Also grab a candy thermometer if you don't have one.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Anything at all will do.

Doodarazumas posted:

Non stick is fine, and actually much easier to clean up afterwards. If you have a light colored pan it will be easier to check the color. Also grab a candy thermometer if you don't have one.
Cool beans. I was under the assumption that high temperature wasn't good for non-stick cookware and their coatings. I'll give the flan a shot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm looking for a simple way to make my meals, and I've been told that a slow cooker can help me out a lot with that. If it's basically "put ingredients in pot and wait", I can probably handle it. I had this suggested to me, is this a good slow cooker to go with or is there something better?

Am I even looking for a slow cooker? v:shobon:v Any other appliance recommendations would be great. I want to try and live off of not much more than a pan/pot, rice cooker, and slow cooker.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
My only problem with slow cookers is that you really have to plan things out and start cooking early in the day. You can't wait until 5pm and decide what you want to have for dinner since it takes a good 3-4 hours of cooking. If you're going for simple, check out single skillet recipes like these. Get a nice heavy oven safe 12" skillet with lid (if you only have room for one go for a nonstick, but if you have space get a cast iron skillet too). I would hold off on getting a slow cooker at first unless you really start getting into braises, stews, etc.

A small rice cooker with steamer basket is great though. I use mine to cook rice and steam chicken & vegetables at the same time. You can even make soups and ramen noodles in it since its just a bowl that boils water.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mod sassinator posted:

My only problem with slow cookers is that you really have to plan things out and start cooking early in the day. You can't wait until 5pm and decide what you want to have for dinner since it takes a good 3-4 hours of cooking. If you're going for simple, check out single skillet recipes like these. Get a nice heavy oven safe 12" skillet with lid (if you only have room for one go for a nonstick, but if you have space get a cast iron skillet too). I would hold off on getting a slow cooker at first unless you really start getting into braises, stews, etc.

A small rice cooker with steamer basket is great though. I use mine to cook rice and steam chicken & vegetables at the same time. You can even make soups and ramen noodles in it since its just a bowl that boils water.

yeah, slow cooker is basically the opposite of 'easy'/simple for me. I rarely want to spend the effort thinking about what I might possibly want to eat one or two days in advance.

easy for me is like, buy a packet of preseasoned rice mix and make it, get a protein like thick pork loin chop or chicken breast, sear those off and finish in the oven, and slice up and dress a tomato for a salad. dinner done in 20-30 mins.

slow cooker is like - spend an hour researching and thinking about stews on the internet, decide I'm in the mood for a stew (pretty rare), prep the ingredients, brown off the meat, chuck the veg in at the right time - all in all like 4 hours of annoyingly relaxed slow pace cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

Cool beans. I was under the assumption that high temperature wasn't good for non-stick cookware and their coatings. I'll give the flan a shot.

The kind of heat that will ruin your Teflon will also turn your sugar into black smudge. To caramelize your sugar you're only going to be cooking it to 320-350 degrees.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pollyanna posted:

I'm looking for a simple way to make my meals, and I've been told that a slow cooker can help me out a lot with that. If it's basically "put ingredients in pot and wait", I can probably handle it. I had this suggested to me, is this a good slow cooker to go with or is there something better?

Am I even looking for a slow cooker? v:shobon:v Any other appliance recommendations would be great. I want to try and live off of not much more than a pan/pot, rice cooker, and slow cooker.

If you're trying to minimize like that, you'd be better off with another pot or a dutch oven instead of a slow cooker, because those things do everything. Otherwise, I'd look into thrift stores, since often you can get basically brand-new slow cookers there for almost nothing - people get them as wedding presents and stuff but never end up using them. $50 is pretty steep.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
The only time I really ever use my crock pot is for chili and throwing in a roast before I leave for work and having something edible by the time I come home. There's just not enough time to cook a roast in the oven on weekdays. That being said, I rarely cook roasts on weekdays and when I do, they would usually come out pretty dry. So a few days ago I came up with the brilliant idea of plugging the crock pot into a cheap $3 Christmas light timer. I had it turn on around 1:30pm and it worked great. Roast was cooked and still juicy when I got home from work.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

Mr Executive posted:

The only time I really ever use my crock pot is for chili and throwing in a roast before I leave for work and having something edible by the time I come home. There's just not enough time to cook a roast in the oven on weekdays. That being said, I rarely cook roasts on weekdays and when I do, they would usually come out pretty dry. So a few days ago I came up with the brilliant idea of plugging the crock pot into a cheap $3 Christmas light timer. I had it turn on around 1:30pm and it worked great. Roast was cooked and still juicy when I got home from work.

So in the meantime your roast sat around at room temp?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

logical fallacy posted:

So in the meantime your roast sat around at room temp?

Having meat at room temperature for a short while isn't bad.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

krnhotwings posted:

Like Dem said, the temp range we're talking about for caramel is well below what you need to give everyone you know cancer.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Jelmylicious posted:

Having meat at room temperature for a short while isn't bad.

4 hours between ~40F and ~130F (varies by jurisdiction) is the limit. That roast did not come up to temp within that time.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So I'm getting into more of a paleo lifestyle, and I'm really at an impasse as far as what kind of blender I really want / need. Are the Breville and Vitamix around the same performance-wise? I want smooth smoothies and something that can crush ice fine and can handle whole frozen fruits. A $400 price point is a bit hard to swallow, $200 not so much, but I do realize something like a vitamix is a good 20+ year investment.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, I remember from my anthropology classes the smoothies that paleo man enjoyed so much.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I plan on making GBS threads on rocks outside as well, just so you know.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Who Dat posted:

So I'm getting into more of a paleo lifestyle, and I'm really at an impasse as far as what kind of blender I really want / need. Are the Breville and Vitamix around the same performance-wise? I want smooth smoothies and something that can crush ice fine and can handle whole frozen fruits. A $400 price point is a bit hard to swallow, $200 not so much, but I do realize something like a vitamix is a good 20+ year investment.
Now that making fun of you is out of the way,

Cook's Illustrated did a review of blenders that specifically emphasized durability and found that the Breville was almost as good overall as the Vitamix. One of its nicer features is that it has the same motor overheating auto-kill feature that Vitamix does.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have the VitaPrep 3 and it is one of the nicest things you will own, period. When you handle it you will understand where the money went and you'll realize that it really can't be done the same cheaper.

That being said it is stupid money and if finances are at all an issue it's stupid to put yourself in jeopardy for a blender.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Vitamix, hands down. Find a failing restaurant or a restaurant supply auction and buy one for 100bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I had strangely never used a vitamix until recently, despite having worked in a couple of kitchens. I used one and basically shat myself. it was really, really nice. (making GBS threads myself)

• Locked thread