Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

As cool as Caesar's wicked rad knife throw was, he's supposed to be a shepherd with no formal combat training. Kinda strange that his actions didn't raise any eyebrows among the people who were specifically looking for signs that he was a Roman spy.

It's probably not that remarkable. Looking after sheep is boring. Learning how to throw knives would have been a moderately useful way to pass the time, especially against threat of wild animals or bandits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He's also not pretending to be some incompetent buffoon. He told Gannicus straight up that he knows his way around a sword because he had to defend himself/the sheep. He just got embarrassed by Gannicus in their fight because it's, you know, loving Gannicus.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

He's also not pretending to be some incompetent buffoon. He told Gannicus straight up that he knows his way around a sword because he had to defend himself/the sheep. He just got embarrassed by Gannicus in their fight because it's, you know, loving Gannicus.

I actually understood Caesar as throwing the fight against Gannicus. He's a quite capable fighter (as proved in the season opener).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I actually understood Caesar as throwing the fight against Gannicus. He's a quite capable fighter (as proved in the season opener).

Yeah, he was down-fighting. They were trying to make natural fighting instinct that would come from years of fighting come back in their spar-testing, and Caesar was able to properly suppress his, for the most part.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Thwomp posted:

I thought he actually came close to giving himself away, he looked like he was genuinely getting into the fight and forgetting his role. Which is then panned out by the fact that Crixus sets him up for a further loyalty test.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER
I got the impression he was trying to figure out Gannicus' style so that the next time he fights him and Gannicus tries the same thing that worked this time, it will go horrifically wrong. Hence that smile he gave when he was lying down and the "I look forward to our rematch!" or whatever he said.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know you're in for a good time when one of the pre-show rating things specifically mentions "rape."

Edit: And there's the rape.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 2, 2013

ZeroPrimal
Feb 24, 2010

The slave becomes the master.
Holy poo poo.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is such a consistently exciting show. I'm even impressed by the direction/cinematography now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, it's come a helluva long way from the show I dismissed out of hand five minutes into the pilot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they decided to head off this Spartacus and Crixus fighting story arc since we've gone over this every season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyone notice Nemetes necklace was a cock in a hand? Nasir has three cocks around his neck too.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

How is this thread not sticky? Once again Aatrek seeks to ram cock in loving rear end!

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm really excited to see if they completely change history in this show. With this recent development, I don't see how Crixus works up the motivation to actually separate himself from Spartacus again. Maybe in this show, Sparty and Co. sack Rome and live happily ever after?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Who knows where they're going but wow did things go bad spectacularly fast.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Every episode of this season has been a classic TV episode. Jupiter's cock!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy gently caress, this episode was amazing in like... all aspects of gratuitous bloody good violent television making.

[edit] Why aren't more goons discussing this show, goddammit.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 2, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I was expecting them to pal around the city more and have more intrigue with Caesar, but nope, kills robert redford and now it seems like the show is going to be a series of fighting retreats.

Crassus obviously smelt bullshit from the Aedile's wife, but even his plan got foiled by Crixus coming back and the Gladiators all being beasts compared to legionaries.

I was loving tense in the final fight thinking a major person was going to eat it :ohdear:

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I really enjoyed the exchange between Gannicus and Naevia in this episode. Gannicus continues to be the best character.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Scoobi posted:

I was loving tense in the final fight thinking a major person was going to eat it :ohdear:

Me too. I thought Agron and even Saxa were both totally going to die fighting Caesar.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH

Scoobi posted:

Yeah, given the little moments both couples had, I was fully expecting Gannicus, Nasir, Saxa or Agron to die then. Almost no one has plot armour at this point and it makes things so much more exciting.

RIP that big guy with the hammer and great voice :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Scoobi posted:

Yeah, I kept tensing up in different directions. When Caeser was fighting Gannicus I was terrified. Then he's fighting Agron and I'm terrified. Then Caeser is down and i relax and the doors bust in and I'm scared again. How everyone made it out alive this episode I have no idea. Except now I'll be spending the next 7 days worrying about them and the inevitable deaths next week at the hands of Caeser.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Darko posted:

This is such a consistently exciting show. I'm even impressed by the direction/cinematography now.

Spartacus is a great reason to own a bluray player. Just loving amazing IQ on BR, it's ridiculous.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
God that was so loving tense. Definitely cannot wait for they pull out next week.

Also, the only valid handshakes between bros should either be a predator handshake or forearm grabs like they always do in Spartacus. Nothing else will do.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sober posted:

God that was so loving tense. Definitely cannot wait for they pull out next week.

Also, the only valid handshakes between bros should either be a predator handshake or forearm grabs like they always do in Spartacus. Nothing else will do.

I need to do the forearm grab with bros from now on.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
This show...this loving show. Each week they top what they did the week previously. I got goosebumps towards the end. It's amazing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I dunno if anyone mentioned it but the boat scene was pretty good with Lugo and Saxa loving around as it panned across the ship.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I let out a cheer when Crixus came flying over the wall. It also completely slipped my mind about the battering ram, that was loving awesome. Especially Caesar standing in front of the fire, that poo poo looked really cool.

bambus
May 10, 2009
Awesome episode.
Calling it now: the show is grooming Gannicus for leadership so they can kill Spartacus early and give Gannicus his own "I am Spartacus!" moment as he leads the final battle.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
The ending pissed me off though. I was like, finish off that dumbass first and then stare at the gate if you want to.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

You son of a bitch

Great episode its going to be sad to see some of these characters die off in the coming episodes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Tiberius hosed his mom rite?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
How old is Kore supposed to be?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gannicus: A total bro.

Crixus (feat. Naevia): ANTI-BRO

No more forearm bro shakes for you, Crixus, you dipshit.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 2, 2013

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bambus posted:

Awesome episode.
Calling it now: the show is grooming Gannicus for leadership so they can kill Spartacus early and give Gannicus his own "I am Spartacus!" moment as he leads the final battle.

I feel like a good end for the show would be a huge battle that sees Spartacus die. Then as the rebels stand there in shock Crassus says "Let this be done. Where is Spartacus?" Then Gannicus stands up and says "I am Spartacus," finally choosing to lead as Spartacus hoped he would when he fell. Then Crixxus, Agron, Naevia, Saxa, or whoever is alive. Then the rebels raise their swords and charge and the show ends. We know what happens but we never have to see it and it ends on a message of hope in the wake of certain end. The dream lives.

Then a lot of people complain and ask who won the war.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'll probably be in the minority here, but this was the first episode in a long time that I pretty much disliked. Really distracting, meaningless stylistic flourishes throughout (and that's saying something for this show), plus the episode was slow as hell until the last 10 minutes. I also don't really buy that Spartacus and Crixus are best buds again despite the fact that he murdered dozens of innocent Romans an episode ago.

I dunno. This felt like a filler episode to me, despite important stuff happening at the very end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

qbert posted:

I'll probably be in the minority here, but this was the first episode in a long time that I pretty much disliked. Really distracting, meaningless stylistic flourishes throughout (and that's saying something for this show), plus the episode was slow as hell until the last 10 minutes. I also don't really buy that Spartacus and Crixus are best buds again despite the fact that he murdered dozens of innocent Romans an episode ago.

I dunno. This felt like a filler episode to me, despite important stuff happening at the very end.

Regarding that first bolded bit, I thought every stylistic flourish in this episode looked fantastic and was not at all distracting. I mean, that sequence where the camera zooms through Spartacus, Crixus, and Gannicus doing finishing moves was amazing.

And the second bolded part... not sure how you could all this particular episode filler. There were plenty of plot point resolutions established and resolved that setup the next episode with a nice little cliffhanger. It's not like all the important things to the plot happened in the last 10-15 minutes or anything.

[edit] Just wanted to note that if not for Crixus and co. arriving just at the right time, Spartacus (and Gannicus) would have most certainly been killed. True bros let poo poo flow right under the bridge when they get your back. True bros aren't bitches.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 2, 2013

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Best loving episode of the season so far. It seems like the managed to fit into one episode, what would be dragged out over several in any other series. We've gone from Crassus loving around in camp, to at the gates of Spartacus' city, and several other plot points resolved.
I swear if they have another one week break before the next episode I'm going to be very very sad:(

I'm guessing the note Crassus received was from Cesar, but how the hell did he get it out?

I'm interested to see how they handle the final episode, since apparently Spartacus and Crassus never duked it out...most shows would say "gently caress that" and have a one on one anyway...

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Jut posted:

Best loving episode of the season so far. It seems like the managed to fit into one episode, what would be dragged out over several in any other series. We've gone from Crassus loving around in camp, to at the gates of Spartacus' city, and several other plot points resolved.
I swear if they have another one week break before the next episode I'm going to be very very sad:(

I'm guessing the note Crassus received was from Cesar, but how the hell did he get it out?

I'm interested to see how they handle the final episode, since apparently Spartacus and Crassus never duked it out...most shows would say "gently caress that" and have a one on one anyway...

Looking at the Starz website for the show, there's a break between episodes 8 and 9. Is it common for pay-channels like this to have breaks? I thought network shows only did that because they film episodes as they're airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress yeah

• Locked thread