Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Adjusted my parking brake cable.

Yeah, it seems like a small thing, but with that and the flush I did the other day I'm at a point where I'm willing to call the brakes done. Which means the whole truck's basically Good Enough For Now. Hopefully we'll be able to get the Protege pushed into the garage in the next few days here and I can really get cracking on pulling the motor.

Oh thanks for reminding me. I need to do that on the Fairlane too. Actually I noticed my in-laws explorer desperately needs it too. I can literally push it with the hand brake on. Which is kind of funny because I drat near kill myself trying to push the VW even with the hand brake off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Was driving yesterday and while braking I noticed something wasn't right, I had to stomp the loving pedal to make the car stop. Popped the hood and there's almost no brake fluid. looks like im spending tonight finding a brake leak.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

General_Failure posted:

Oh thanks for reminding me. I need to do that on the Fairlane too. Actually I noticed my in-laws explorer desperately needs it too. I can literally push it with the hand brake on. Which is kind of funny because I drat near kill myself trying to push the VW even with the hand brake off.

Yeah I had to jam the pedal all the way to the floor to even hold it from rocking back onto the park pawl; now it'll hold the truck at a stop while in gear. Should just be a single nut to tighten it up; of course down there, you might have to loosen it instead, everything's backwards south of the equator.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I've been driving a Chevy Traverse for this job on the wrong coast. I don't remember the last time I've been this depressed.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Replaced the EGR sensor on the F150, EGR code is gone and it can finally pass emissions.
Replaced the throttlebody/ACV on the Miata, P0421 is still there. Ugg.
Fixed door cups in a 93 Touring RX7
Fixed steering wheel angle/mounted a wideband in a 94 PEP RX7.
Helped a friend get his 93 Touring RX7 started after 6 months of sitting.
Cleaned up some 99-spec turbos forsale.

Overall a productive Sunday.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ordered the stuff to do the brakes on the 56 IH. Gonna try rebuilding the master cylinder rather than buy another one and see how it goes. I got it apart today and its pretty simple. Just have to clean it up and hone the bore.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hooked my speakers up so now I have music! Then I started on the heater core, which although it made me swear a little hasn't honestly been that big a deal compared to other cars. I've got the new core in and hooked up to the cooling system, just need to reassemble the air duct around it and put the dash trim bits back on (including the stereo mount) and it'll be good to go. Now I can actually steam clean the carpet from when the old one popped; I might just pull the seats out and clean it outside the truck on one of my days off here. As old as the truck is, it could probably have used a good clean anyway.

I also found out that apparently the switch for my high beams DOES work... when I tilt the steering column all the way down and back up! Looks like I'll need to pull that apart and see why the stalk doesn't trigger it. This truck is slowly but surely going from an emergency beater to a decent daily driver.

Speaking of which, I pulled the wheels off the Mazda and pulled the battery tray out. The A/C compressor also came off, along with the P/S pump. With the engine harness already undone, I think all that's left is to pull the axles, undo the clutch and fuel lines, and pull it all out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Seats in the NG900 stopped working last week, so I decided to tackle it, today.

Pulled the front bolts so I could get my arm under it. Pushed the relay back in. :effort:

Pulled the back bolts so I could tie down the seat cover. Now that it is going away. Again, :effort:

Detailed it really poorly, just enough to get the dirt and dog hair out of it. May give it a water+windex treatment. Rubbed my finger over some of the water spots, and they came right off. I keep telling myself I am not going to wax it before it leaves, but still.. :effort:

P.S. :effort:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Had to top off my clutch fluid because my pedal was mushy. The existing fluid in the master cylinder was dark and muddy so I foresee a new slave cylinder in my car's future. I don't have time for that.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Did the tranny oil, diff oil, engine oil, air filter, plugs and wires on my '97 miata. Holy poo poo there were a lot of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plugs for the tranny/diff. Definitely had never been done in it's 200,000 miles, so brown and gross and just the absolute most bizarre and unique smelling fluids I have ever came across. Hopefully it will enjoy all its tasty new royal purple love sauce.

Air filter was full of leaves and 2 rubber bands!

Well at least now I have a terrible headache from all the noxious fumes :toxx:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Voltage posted:

Did the tranny oil, diff oil, engine oil, air filter, plugs and wires on my '97 miata. Holy poo poo there were a lot of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plugs for the tranny/diff. Definitely had never been done in it's 200,000 miles, so brown and gross and just the absolute most bizarre and unique smelling fluids I have ever came across. Hopefully it will enjoy all its tasty new royal purple love sauce.

Air filter was full of leaves and 2 rubber bands!

Well at least now I have a terrible headache from all the noxious fumes :toxx:

Gear oil contains Molybdenum Disulfide, which makes most people retch, and the smell only gets worse over the years.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
bought it.

It's an eBay auction that I posted a link to previously so the price is no secret.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Gear oil contains Molybdenum Disulfide, which makes most people retch, and the smell only gets worse over the years.

But it's the best loving assembly lube ever so there :colbert:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

EightBit posted:

I've never hated the smell of gear oil. It's certainly strong as hell, but it doesn't bother me at all. It's the smell of progress/failure.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If orget is it moly or zinc based stuff that is sold as an additive for transmission oil. I'm thinking moly. Apparently it works amazingly on smoothing out notchy shifts.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geirskogul posted:

But it's the best loving assembly lube ever so there :colbert:

I'm not hating on it, I find it to be a very earthy or mechanical smell, much like smelling like dirt after gardening. I come inside smelling like it and my dogs won't come near me and the roommates are spraying air fresheners, woops forgot it bothers some people.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

General_Failure posted:

bought it.

It's an eBay auction that I posted a link to previously so the price is no secret.

poo poo just got real in an extremely rugged go-anywhere Russian kind of way. I love it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

General_Failure posted:

bought it.

I'm hoping there will be a project thread soon :q:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I'm hoping there will be a project thread soon :q:
I'm sure of it, although it'll probably consist mostly of rust repairs, electrical tidying and cleaning up the interior. That's one reason I chose that one. It was more I'd planned on spending because really these cars generally aren't worth much but it's one of the better examples I've seen before the price really spikes. The cabrios and utes are worth far more still.
Besides that I've always liked them another selling point to me is they still make them and new parts are cheap and easy to get.

KozmoNaut posted:

poo poo just got real in an extremely rugged go-anywhere Russian kind of way. I love it.

I think so too. Not a big fan of the tail though. The later ones with the vertical tail lights so the tailgate can extend down to the bottom looks better to me, but in all the rear of this one doesn't look totally Soviet depressing to me for some reason. It's even my favourite colour / decal combo for them so that's lucky. Also I didn't think I'd ever find one that still had its back seat. Apparently it still has the headrests but they aren't pictured. I wish it had its spare but those wheels need replacing anyway because they look like they are from a Suzuki and have the wrong offset.

It also has a towbar which was something I was looking for, and has the roof rail cage thing which is great too because I was going to have to track something down otherwise.
With a 1600 Fiat motor they don't have much poke and the permanent AWD and sheer weight of it take a big bite out of economy but it's all about give and take really. It should be way better on juice around town than the Fairlane and do better offroad too.

I plan on being an idiot. Catching public transport down there and driving it back with a permit. It works out hundreds cheaper and gives me an excuse to drive it.

Here's the auction link with all but one of the other photos. The seller sent me a rear view because one was lacking.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290869088957&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123#ht_500wt_1415

And the missing photo which I eventually had to screencap from the message because the image name in the message was obfuscated.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Just a teaser for now.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Billy Tully posted:

Just a teaser for now.

ooh. So we don't get to find out what's planned for it yet? I'm cool with that if that's the case. I like surprises.

I haven't hard back from the seller yet. They'd better not gone and done something dick-ish like sell it out from under me outside eBay. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere else though nor has anyone else who keeps an eye on this sort of thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Got the heater all put back together, did a quick pass on the carpet with a steam cleaner to get the coolant residue off. Wouldn't start about 20 minutes after I parked it coming from the store, hopefully it's fine in the morning.

Also figured why smoke would come from my dash on certain blower settings -- the connector to the selector switch was corroded to hell and back, and the plastic was melted around one of the terminals. Guess I'll be leaving it on full blast until I can make a junkyard run one of these days.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

General_Failure posted:

ooh. So we don't get to find out what's planned for it yet? I'm cool with that if that's the case. I like surprises.

Pretty much everything is getting fixed besides the body.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Drove the Fairlane for a few hours without major incident but it did do the phantom noise that it's done once before under similar conditions. Only when accelerating and after being driven for roughly an hour. Acceleration is lacking and there's a perceivable sound that I can hear most clearly from my side window but seems to be coming from the engine. sort of like a tapping / rattling sound. By the time I realise, wind down the window and turn off the blower fan to listen it's gone. I don't like that at all.

Also still haven't heard back from the seller on the Niva.

Billy Tully posted:

Pretty much everything is getting fixed besides the body.

That's really cool. Stock?

Fucknag posted:

Got the heater all put back together, did a quick pass on the carpet with a steam cleaner to get the coolant residue off. Wouldn't start about 20 minutes after I parked it coming from the store, hopefully it's fine in the morning.

Also figured why smoke would come from my dash on certain blower settings -- the connector to the selector switch was corroded to hell and back, and the plastic was melted around one of the terminals. Guess I'll be leaving it on full blast until I can make a junkyard run one of these days.

One of the Land Cruiser heaters I have has a bizarre solution to a heater rheostat. It has a resistor wire coil hanging free except for the plastic base. The base attaches to a hole in the heater box so airflow from the fan can keep it cool. There are two input wires to the motor. One pre and one post resistor wire. It just used a toggle to switch inputs. Lazy and crude yet clever.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Gave her some stitches. She tried to eat a parking block because I was in a hurry and not paying a tremendous amount of attention. I think scars add a little character though. I just want to know how you crack urethane in half :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I thought that was a rally/offroad only kind of fix :haw:

I got wiring harness cuts at the junkyard, read the factory service manual schematics, made a harness section I have been missing for a while (well, forever, it didn't come with my model and I did a conversion without it), replaced a few burnt out indicator and backlight bulbs in the instrument cluster and dash, cleaned the instrument panel, cleaned the dash trim, installed the wiring harness I made, had a new windshield installed, then celebrated by bashing it around offroad for a bit and getting it stuck in a mudhole full of slabs of ice.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

I thought that was a rally/offroad only kind of fix :haw:

If you google "zip tie stitches" 9/10 of the pictures are 240sx bumpers held together from drift fails :lol:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well I figured out why the truck wouldn't start - apparently when I was poking around trying to find my everpresent coolant leak (still in the vicinity of the now-RTVed-as-gently caress thermostat housing) I jiggled the harness the wrong way. Seems the power wires to the injectors had been damaged, and rather than a proper repair they ran a mystery power wire on the same circuit and crimp spliced both injector leads to it. No insulation, no weather seal, just bare metal with voltage whenever the key's on dangling right above the block. So I most likely shorted it, explaining the blown fuse I finally traced it to. Stuck the fuse from the console light circuit in and it fired right up.

Turns out that fuse was also wrong, 30A rated in a circuit that called for a 20. The best part was that I found where the P.O. ran the stereo power wires from:

Yes, those white and red wires are jammed in with the fuse legs in their sockets.

Mystery bonus: I guess the old fuse in the cluster circuit was a bit corroded, because I replaced it with a new 20A fuse and now my A/C panel lights up. :iiam:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Honestly, if someone is going to be a hillrod and do a terrible bodge job of wiring a stereo, I'd rather they did that for power and ran extension cords and duct tape all over the cabin for the speakers. At least that way they don't see the need to hack up, spindle, mutilate, and otherwise molest the factory wiring harness, so it'll probably still be usable.

Sure makes it easier to reverse their work, too, just pull the fuse, remove the wire, reinstall fuse!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

kastein posted:

Sure makes it easier to reverse their work, too, just pull the fuse, remove the wire, reinstall fuse!

You'd think but...ok, when I was 16-17 I made a few questionable automotive modification decisions, one of which may have been identical to the "wire wrapped around a fuse and jammed in" photo above. Anyway, when I came to my senses and redid the wiring properly, turns out the fuse socket got stretched apart too much, because without the wire th fuse would fit too loosely and not make contact. So I had to chop the wire and leave it.

Sorry, new owner kid, but I may not have been the best PO.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Put gas in it. My first tank with zero delivery miles.

31.4 MPG. :getin: Mostly highway, a good chunk of which was spent in bumper to bumper traffic today.

Maybe I'll change a light bulb or something tomorrow so I have actual content. :unsmith: I definitely need to change the coolant too, I suspect it's original (given the car's mileage).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

General_Failure posted:

That's really cool. Stock?

Yep, its gonna be all stock. My great uncle left it to me and the body and frame are in awesome condition but the engine was stuck. I had the engine rebuilt and Im restoring all the accessories for when it goes back in. The brakes didn't work so I'm fixing that right now. Gonna get some prices on cleaning out the gas tank and re-covering the seat next week sometime.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Billy Tully posted:

Yep, its gonna be all stock. My great uncle left it to me and the body and frame are in awesome condition but the engine was stuck. I had the engine rebuilt and Im restoring all the accessories for when it goes back in. The brakes didn't work so I'm fixing that right now. Gonna get some prices on cleaning out the gas tank and re-covering the seat next week sometime.

After drunkenly tripping over parts of it, i can attest to the love put in to this truck.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Nothing. it's still morning. But I did get a message from the seller last night so I don't feel worried any more.

I'll be glad to pick it up. Besides looking forward to the drive and getting my hands on it too, I really want to clean up this engine bay!

Look at the coil lead! Look at that rats nesting! Oh god that fan and the lack of shroud and the huge gap! So many things bother me.

e: Oh god apparently that is the OE coil position to get it out of the way of the spare. I wonder if it's also to get it as high up as possible. Pretty much everything in that engine bay is stock too. Doesn't mean I approve.
Something else surprising is its recommended spark gap is 0.5mm. I have to do something about that or will it gently caress things up by changing the flame front?

e: Where the ever loving hell did "promo" come from at the end of my post???

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 3, 2013

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009
Did some grinding/cutting this weekend.

St Vandal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 3, 2013

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Opened the garage up all the way and took the GT500 out from under its winter shroud. Today was the first time I drove it since mid-November.

Bonus video of the first start in almost 4 months:

http://youtu.be/zoqkjSf34yQ

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

gently caress, that's nice. Do you still have that turbo Cobalt SS?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Super Aggro Crag posted:

gently caress, that's nice. Do you still have that turbo Cobalt SS?

Nope. Sold that for an STi then sold the STi for cash. Current DD is an '06 TSX with header/cat/exhaust/intake.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Nope. Sold that for an STi then sold the STi for cash. Current DD is an '06 TSX with header/cat/exhaust/intake.

So you got sick of having torque? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

St Vandal posted:

Did some grinding/cutting this weekend.

I don't think you have posted enough about this truck. What're you working on there?