Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

IUG posted:

As someone who uses Last.fm, dear god no. Maybe if you skip in the last 5% of the song, but not the last 50%.

Also,

I guess I mean the option to set it. I don't know. Whatever. Shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Cheers goons, much appreciated.

Been having a problem for a few years now with iTunes: it repeatedly syncs about 100 songs every time I connect my iPod touch (3rd gen), and they appear to be the same 100 songs even though nothing about them has changed. It also syncs across Genius data even though there's been no change there either. I wiped the library back in December and imported everything again, which helped for a while, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 2, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers goons, much appreciated.

Been having a problem for a few years now with iTunes: it repeatedly syncs about 100 songs every time I connect my iPod touch (3rd gen), and they appear to be the same 100 songs even though nothing about them has changed. It also syncs across Genius data even though there's been no change there either. I wiped the library back in December and imported everything again, which helped for a while, but now it's happening again.

Any ideas?

Do you listen to the songs? Your iPod syncs metadata back about songs you listen to into iTunes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Do you listen to the songs? Your iPod syncs metadata back about songs you listen to into iTunes.

Some of them but it seems to be the exact same number of songs each time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Finally got on the iTunes bandwagon and made some smart playlists like the OP tells me to. After finding out I can airplay to my XBMC box, I had an epiphany and my mind blown at how great iTunes actually is. I have a large library which I never listen to as I've been too lazy to create playlists or anything previously and just resorted to Pandora. Having switched to a new cell phone provider with minimal Edge/3G in my area I have gone back to the basics. Creating some smart playlists for use on my iPhone sounds like a perfect solution, question is if there is a way to automatically have my iPhone sync with my iTunes over wifi X times per day or whenever it's in range and hasn't synced in some period of time. I don't want to have to go to my computer and activate the sync if I can help it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think so long you plug it in for AC power it will try to sync it then. I used to do this for a while but stopped doing so a while ago, so I don't know if this is 100% true.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Been trying to stream the new Bowie album (http://itunes.com/davidbowie) and it just dumps me on an artist page with a photo and no links. What gives?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

IUG posted:

I think so long you plug it in for AC power it will try to sync it then. I used to do this for a while but stopped doing so a while ago, so I don't know if this is 100% true.

Ah, that lends right to my ignorance on the topic. ;)

So if I'm driving mainly by playlists that utilize last played, and have one on my iPhone, when the auto sync occurs does it transmit the last played data from my iPhone and then rebuild the playlist to sync with the iPhone? Or will this require a proper wired sync?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think iTunes' operation of syncing, wired or wireless, is to see what the device played first (you can watch your playlist change in iTunes), then it determines what tracks to sync, then it syncs. I 100% play from playlists that have a last played element on them, as I don't really want to hear the same song twice in a month or more because I have over a month's worth of music front to back.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Is there a way to manually add an album to iTunes Match? I don't see an option now that I've updated to iTunes 11.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

illcendiary posted:

Is there a way to manually add an album to iTunes Match? I don't see an option now that I've updated to iTunes 11.

If you added new music, the Match section of iTunes should pop in and you can select "start Match" or something.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

IUG posted:

As someone who uses Last.fm, dear god no. Maybe if you skip in the last 5% of the song, but not the last 50%.

Also,

From memory (I've stopped using iTunes now) "skipped" only triggers if you skip it in the first few seconds of a song.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

As I said a few messages back, I've had quite the awakening to how awesome iTunes can be and I really had my mind blown when I saw that I could airplay to MULTIPLE devices. The possibilities just opened up for me. So with that, I am planning to do a little set up in order to get music around my house easily. This is what I'm thinking, and hoping you guys can point out where I have flaws or where I can minimize costs. Oh, and controlling iTunes via my iPhone and especially the iPad is AMAZING.

Either my old HTPC or build a new Raspberry Pi with an external hooked up for the server. I have Uverse so I'll either be using their router or setting up a spare Wireless N behind it for connectivity.

I have a new Zotac AD12 HTPC set up to my main TV and Soundbar in my family room. I'm currently airplaying from my laptop to it and loving that, but dislike having my laptop on all the time and iTunes likes to heat it up for some reason. Regardless, this set up is all set.

In my kitchen, I'm thinking of buying the Jawbone Big Jambox, problem is that it doesn't have Wifi, only bluetooth. You can't do multiple airplay via Bluetooth, so to remedy that I want to set up an airport express in the kitchen and run an input cable to the Jambox.

I don't have any immediate plans for other rooms, but presume the simplest would be to pick up other airport expresses for other rooms with existing powered speakers or just unplug the jambox/airport from the kitchen and take it with me for situational usage.

The biggest question I have is which version of the airport express I should get. I see older models (wireless G) going for <$50 on ebay and such, but don't know if I should upgrade to the newer ones. I can't imagine music streaming would need much more than Wireless G (especially if I don't use the Linksys router) or if the G on the N network would cause issues with multiple bands and such. I don't have any future plans of streaming anything video or using these as outlets for wired computer connections.

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Wasn't there an option at some point to pay a little extra (30 cents a song?) to remove the DRM if there was any? My 16gb iPod Nano is filled to capacity and instead of spending $250 to $300 on a 4th or 5th gen 32gb Touch, buying a $20 32gb micro SD card and loading all my songs onto my Android phone sounds mighty appealing. Last time I looked I couldn't find out where to remove DRM in the most current version of iTunes if it is even available anymore. Where can I find it?

Also please feel free to comment on the idea in general just in case it is retarded and I don't realize it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

Wasn't there an option at some point to pay a little extra (30 cents a song?) to remove the DRM if there was any? My 16gb iPod Nano is filled to capacity and instead of spending $250 to $300 on a 4th or 5th gen 32gb Touch, buying a $20 32gb micro SD card and loading all my songs onto my Android phone sounds mighty appealing. Last time I looked I couldn't find out where to remove DRM in the most current version of iTunes if it is even available anymore. Where can I find it?

Also please feel free to comment on the idea in general just in case it is retarded and I don't realize it.

I'm not 100% on this, so you might not want to just take my word for it, but at this point I think you can just do it for free by deleting the songs and redownloading them from the Purchased section of the iTunes store.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yes. It used to be called iTunes+ but now all tracks purchased from the iTunes store are DRM free.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I redownloaded an album I bought in 2005 (with DRM) last week and it still has the DRM on it right now. Made me log in and authorize before it could let me play it and says 1/5 machine licenses are being used.

That iTunes Plus upgrade was definitely a feature before. It was like 30cents a song.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thanks for the replies. I'll move one or two albums to an external HD and see if I can download a DRM-free version. If not I guess I will call iTunes support and see what they say. I'll post back here if I learn anything interesting.

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

Mu Zeta posted:

I redownloaded an album I bought in 2005 (with DRM) last week and it still has the DRM on it right now. Made me log in and authorize before it could let me play it and says 1/5 machine licenses are being used.

That iTunes Plus upgrade was definitely a feature before. It was like 30cents a song.

If I remember rightly, they only enabled it for about 99 percent of tracks - when it first came out I upgraded all of my tracks that I could (more rreally for the upgrade from 128k to 256) but there were still a tiny handful left at 128k and with DRM

gone soon

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The DRM free version still has to be provided by the music label so not everything in the iTunes store is DRM free. Deleting the album and redownloading should get you the DRM-free version if it is available.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just re-downloaded a Stereolab album and it still has DRM and it's 128k AAC protected. Same with a Belle and Sebastian album :(

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Mu Zeta posted:

I just re-downloaded a Stereolab album and it still has DRM and it's 128k AAC protected. Same with a Belle and Sebastian album :(

You didn't say before: did you actually buy the songs/albums as iTunes plus/Complete My Album?

V V V It's not. You need to upgrade them. That's why you're still getting DRM'd AACs.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 8, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No i bought them when they had DRM and didn't ever upgrade. Someone earlier said it might be free now.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I had ~300 songs in my iTunes library that were purchased from iTunes and DRM protected. Paying for iTunes Match upgraded these tracked from 128kbps to 256kbps and removed the DRM. This alone made subscribing to iTunes match a no-brainer for me.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I can't decide if I should put up with 11's garbage interface or downgrade back to 10.7, because holy gently caress why they'd change everything?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Can iTunes automatically download and sync iTunes Match songs to a Shuffle? If I add a playlist to a Shuffle, none of the iTunes Match songs actually get loaded unless I manually download them. Is there a setting so it will automatically download all the stuff I'm trying to sync?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Starhawk64 posted:

I can't decide if I should put up with 11's garbage interface or downgrade back to 10.7, because holy gently caress why they'd change everything?
What's garbage about it other than "it's different"?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

You can change it back to look very similar to 10 if you show the sidebar.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

No album art column in list view or playlists is my only real complaint but it annoys me a little every single day and it would be the easiest thing in the world to fix.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Juche Couture posted:

No album art column in list view or playlists is my only real complaint but it annoys me a little every single day and it would be the easiest thing in the world to fix.

This still irks me, but since moving to a laptop with only one screen, I just went back to using Bowtie with a theme that shows off the album art.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I actually miss iTunes DJ from 10.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Juche Couture posted:

If you click the album art in the little display area it'll pop up a resizable album art window that you can put anywhere you want (and also doubles as a miniplayer).

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

If you click the album art in the little display area it'll pop up a resizable album art window that you can put anywhere you want (and also doubles as a miniplayer).

I mean, that's great and all, but I don't really care about seeing the album art of the thing that's playing. I use playlists a ton and it's really nice to be able to scan through them by album art to decide what to play. It's a small thing but it was how I used to use itunes 99% of the time and I cannot understand why they removed it as a view option.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oh cool another Wings powerplay :effort:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gio posted:

oh cool another Wings powerplay :effort:

Go wings! (Wrong thread :) )

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Juche Couture posted:

I mean, that's great and all, but I don't really care about seeing the album art of the thing that's playing. I use playlists a ton and it's really nice to be able to scan through them by album art to decide what to play. It's a small thing but it was how I used to use itunes 99% of the time and I cannot understand why they removed it as a view option.

View -> Artist List ? Not exactly the same but maybe it'll work for you.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Yeah. If you're talking about playlist browsing then you should be able to do "View>Artist List" and then "All Artists" to get a nice list with album art that you can quickly scroll through.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Go wings! (Wrong thread :) )

Wow, I'm just now noticing this. "Not GDT" by a mile. drat bookmarks!

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to have Genius OFF and iMatch ON at the same time in iTunes 11?

I never use genius mixes, and am annoyed when iTunes periodically updates genius data on my phone for a feature I never use, but I don't want to turn off iTunes Match.

Is there a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there any actual word from Apple about the 4010 error? I'm loving sick of Match not working because of it.