Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alphagabe
Aug 13, 2004

Much better than gummy bears.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the Fire Emblem games would probably do it. If you have a PS3 there's also Valkyria Chronicles, but that's a WWII setting.

Crap, should have mentioned PC only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alphagabe posted:

Crap, should have mentioned PC only.

King's Bounty or Heroes of Might and Magic, perhaps?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The D&D games on harder difficulties scratched similar itch for me. Neverwinter Nights 2 on hard or Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal with the developer patches that make the bosses much harder, for example. I know they are "realtime", but at harder difficulties you end up pausing them and assigning actions every possible opportunity anyways.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Are there any games where you control a religion and the spread of it and so forth? I've noticed recently that I enjoy religion mechanics in games no matter how shallow they are, but I wish there was a game that dealt with that. Kinda like a religion management game or something. I'm betting nothing like that exists but I thought I'd ask in case someone knew of one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shorter Than Some posted:

Are there any games where you control a religion and the spread of it and so forth? I've noticed recently that I enjoy religion mechanics in games no matter how shallow they are, but I wish there was a game that dealt with that. Kinda like a religion management game or something. I'm betting nothing like that exists but I thought I'd ask in case someone knew of one.

The closest thing I can think of is Dominion 3.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

This is exactly what Black & White and its sequel are about. They're not very good games, but they might scratch that itch for you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Populous! It's old, but it still holds up pretty well today. If you don't mind being pretty... Old Testament about your godhood, at least.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

One of the Civilization games had a pretty fleshed out "send your priests to the other countries and corrupt them all to your ways" mechanics, but I can't remember which one is was, now. I just remember it was funny because my athiest friend always used it as his exclusive conquering strategy.

[edit]Hrm.. I don't think this is what you want, but you can control the church in The Guild, too. It focuses less on spreading religion and more on backstabbing and corruption in the religious underbelly, though.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 2, 2013

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Speaking of The Guild...

Caufman posted:

Like Crusader Kings 2, are there any other games out there that truly let me scheme? That game's capacity to let me contrive and execute my own plots has impressed me. Do any other games come close?
I've only followed some LPs of it, but I think The Guild might scratch that itch for you.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

Tagra posted:

One of the Civilization games had a pretty fleshed out "send your priests to the other countries and corrupt them all to your ways" mechanics, but I can't remember which one is was, now. I just remember it was funny because my athiest friend always used it as his exclusive conquering strategy.

[edit]Hrm.. I don't think this is what you want, but you can control the church in The Guild, too. It focuses less on spreading religion and more on backstabbing and corruption in the religious underbelly, though.

Civ IV

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Thanks for the reccomendations but I have played black and white years ago and wasn't that keen on it and Populous seems a bit too ancient for my tastes.

Tagra posted:

Actually that is part of what I want, I'm also a fan of scheming from CK2 so I think I'l check it out thanks.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Could you recommend titles that are easy to play in small chunks (I don't have much contiguous time) and are quite complex/involved, but are not so for the sake of being complex? Basically the complexity needs to be justified and proportional to the amount of enjoyment you get as you understand the mechanics better and better.

I'm thinking Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings etc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There's this:

Afterlife
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_%28video_game%29

No idea if it's any good or where you'd find it nowadays. Sounds like a cool idea for a game though!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Afterlife was great, but it's more of a Simcity game than anything. No idea where to get it nowadays.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So I went ahead and sold Dragon's Dogma until the full version of the game comes out in a couple of months, but until then I have a powerful craving for slashymans with +armors for the 360. I already have Dark Souls, Dragon Age (not 2, it sucked), The Witcher 2, and Skyrim. I'm considering Fable 3, but the reactions of the critics are kind of making me nervous.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If you haven't played it yet, try Fable II. If you have, don't bother with III, it's inferior in pretty much every way.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So I went ahead and sold Dragon's Dogma until the full version of the game comes out in a couple of months, but until then I have a powerful craving for slashymans with +armors for the 360. I already have Dark Souls, Dragon Age (not 2, it sucked), The Witcher 2, and Skyrim. I'm considering Fable 3, but the reactions of the critics are kind of making me nervous.

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a lot of fun, and I think way better than any of the Fable games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tagra posted:

Why won't the release a "Football Manager" for Hockey :smith:. I tried the demo of it and I'm disinterested enough in soccer/football that I couldn't really get into it, but I saw enough that if it were for hockey... oh man.

I'm still waiting on the new hockey manager game from OOTP but it looks like they're planning on using existing leagues again, and I really want one that lets me form a completely fantasy league and go from there. I'm playing Powerplay Manager's hockey league and it's really good, but it's a browser game and I want something I can click "next day" on :sigh:

Someone go program it. You have one guaranteed customer already, how can you lose!
(actually I'd probably wait for a Steam sale...)

The ea NHL series games have a manager mode built in but it's not nearly as complex as football manager games.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Fangz posted:

The closest thing I can think of is Dominion 3.

Some of the Dominion 3 factions are very much "Spread Your Cult: The Game".

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

VelociBacon posted:

The ea NHL series games have a manager mode built in but it's not nearly as complex as football manager games.

I imagine it uses existing players/teams, too. I'd like a fantasy league where everything is new, randomly generated, and not an attempt at simulating reality. Which means it's even less likely to exist...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ashenai posted:

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. It's a lot of fun, and I think way better than any of the Fable games.

I echo this. Dragon Knight Saga is a heck of a lot of fun.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm looking for games to play while I listen to podcasts. The criteria are pretty much what you'd expect: they must not require my undivided attention (i.e. nothing requiring me to pay attention to a plot or read long sections of text), they must be playable with the sound turned most of the way down, they shouldn't require constant internet connection, ideally they should have gameplay that requires little higher-level thought and can be played for long sections of time, and it should be available on Steam for <$25. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some things I'd play in the past while listening to podcasts were singleplayer Men of War, FUEL, and Skyrim (the dungeon crawling parts, at least).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

i poo poo trains posted:

I'm looking for games to play while I listen to podcasts. The criteria are pretty much what you'd expect: they must not require my undivided attention (i.e. nothing requiring me to pay attention to a plot or read long sections of text), they must be playable with the sound turned most of the way down, they shouldn't require constant internet connection, ideally they should have gameplay that requires little higher-level thought and can be played for long sections of time, and it should be available on Steam for <$25. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some things I'd play in the past while listening to podcasts were singleplayer Men of War, FUEL, and Skyrim (the dungeon crawling parts, at least).
You may poo poo trains, but have you considered crashing trucks? There's even a demo, no reason not to try it!

sum
Nov 15, 2010

That's outside of my $25 budget unfortunately, but maybe the demo will be good for an hour or two.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

i poo poo trains posted:

You'll need to wait for a sale, but Crusader Kings 2. It looks like a very complex game and you can think a ton if you want but I have found it to be a perfect podcast game. It is nowhere near as difficult as it looks.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

i poo poo trains posted:

I'm looking for games to play while I listen to podcasts. The criteria are pretty much what you'd expect: they must not require my undivided attention (i.e. nothing requiring me to pay attention to a plot or read long sections of text), they must be playable with the sound turned most of the way down, they shouldn't require constant internet connection, ideally they should have gameplay that requires little higher-level thought and can be played for long sections of time, and it should be available on Steam for &lt;$25. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some things I'd play in the past while listening to podcasts were singleplayer Men of War, FUEL, and Skyrim (the dungeon crawling parts, at least).

Minecraft is great for playing with podcasts.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Farcry 3 and the multitude of side quests and traveling was perfect for podcasts for me. I'd pause for gunfights and missions.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Dungeons of Dredmore is awesome and lets you go completely at your own pace. Like any roguelike it's more fun to go whole hog from the get-go and throw yourself into trial by fire. Torchlight games are pretty delightful experiences of just sorta mindlessly annihilating hordes of enemies ala Diablo.

Also FTL is deservedly pretty popular as being simple but addicting.

I dunno, for me I play almost all games with podcasts running in the background. I played through Mass Effect 3 like that since the plot quickly lost all of my interest.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

i poo poo trains posted:

Peggle is really great for this.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Played a ton of Civ 5 and Advance Wars, can anyone recommend any good military themed turn-based strategy games? Preferably ones with less empire management and more pushing armies around the map.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 7, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Triskelli posted:

Played a ton of Civ 5 and Advance Wars, can anyone recommend any good military themed turn-based strategy games? Preferably ones with less empire management and more pushing armies around the map.

Sounds like you want to play a wargame!

PanzerCorp is set in WW2 and is a reboot of Panzer General. Pretty good but it is more of a 'here is a puzzle, work out the one right move' kind of game.

Unity of Command on the other hand is pretty much the best simple but engaging military turn based game out there.

Warlock Master of the Arcane is basically Civ V with magic and battles with little empire crap.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unity of command is literally the exact thing that you want.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Unity of command is literally the exact thing that you want.

60% off right now on Gamersgate. Best $8 you will ever spend.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just completed the Ar Tonelico trilogy and was looking for recommendations for similar games. I have all the consoles bar a WiiU and a Vita. I generally prefer non-SRPGs, but if there are any outstanding ones I'll take a look.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kthegreat posted:

I just completed the Ar Tonelico trilogy and was looking for recommendations for similar games. I have all the consoles bar a WiiU and a Vita. I generally prefer non-SRPGs, but if there are any outstanding ones I'll take a look.

I'll take the easy route and recommend Gust's other games. So Mana Khemia (PS2), and the PS3 Atelier games, since I haven't played the others. Skip Atelier Rorona though, it's nowhere near as good as Totori and Meruru.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I'm trying to find something that's similar to the old Settlers series. I used to play these a lot when I wanted something very sandboxy, especially Settlers 2 and 3, and greatly enjoyed slowly building up an economy and settlement, plopping down buildings and watching them grow. I especially liked the way that there was almost no time-pressure most of the time (especially in single-player), and you could build at your own pace. I'm trying to find something like that that's a little more modern, and preferably available on Steam (I travel a lot, and carting installation discs around is a pain).

I've tried Tropico, and while it's fun I find the constant pressure of balancing all the elements of the economy and keeping people happy enough to be more stressful than I want from a sandbox game. I'm considering Settlers 7, but am not sure if the Victory Conditions mechanic might ruin it. This review here made me a little worried in particular, but the author seems like he was in a sour mood anyway. I've heard a lot about the Anno series, but the descriptions of the combat make me a little cautious. Ideally I'd like a game with little to no combat in it if possible.

Is there anything anyone can think of, or am I being too harsh on Settlers/Anno?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

boatiemathmo posted:

Is there anything anyone can think of, or am I being too harsh on Settlers/Anno?

You're being too harsh on Anno. You can just potter around in that game for hours without going near combat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

For a Settlers-like game, with some combat, have you tried Stronghold? The first one. (Stay the hell away from the sequels!) There's a rather involved supply-chain for keeping everyone healthy and keeping yourself wealthy.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I've not tried Stronghold - for the silliest of all reasons (the cover picture had a shot of a soldier outside a castle, and I had enough sieging military games on my shelf already). I'll check it out.

Regarding Anno, I see 1404's not on Steam although there are workarounds which I can try and get going. I gather from this thread that 1404 is the version I want, right? I'm looking for something cutesy and fun-looking, and 2070 seems a bit futuristically clean and clinical for my tastes.

edit: I'm a moron, this was mostly answered on the previous page. Thanks for the advice. Would appreciate input from anyone who's tried Settlers 7 though.

boatiemathmo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I have a friend who is going to be stuck without his gaming desktop and with a laptop overseas. I was looking for games that are online and multiplayer that he and i could play together during his time away as he will have some down time.

Basically it needs to be able to run on a laptop with a 2.1ghz Dual Core, 256mb of video memory and 2 gb of ram, have a low entry cost, and be online multiplayer.

On the list so far: League of Legends, and Path of Exile.

Any good recommendations?