Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003
I'll be contrary and state that I'm tiring of TGUSA. Now for 2 episodes in a row the "prize" for winning the challenge was a drive in a bonkers supercar, and both times the producers magicked Tanner into the driver's seat. The Las Vegas cab episode was clearly won by Adam, but whelp, lets come up with a reason to disqualify him so that Tanner gets into the driver's seat of the McLaren.

Either teach the other 2 to drive, or get rid of Tanner. It affects the show's dynamic that there is such a skill disparity between the three hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
They tried to teach Adam to drive iirc. He still sucks at it.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Froderick posted:

They tried to teach Adam to drive iirc. He still sucks at it.

Which is really odd since IIRC he has a bunch of supercars in his garage. You'd think he would at least learn not to put them in a wall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Keep in mind that the TGUK guys have been car journalists for decades. Clarkson and May have been doing it since the 80s, and I don't really know when Hammond started. They've had years and years to perfect their driving. Tanner has been racing his whole life, so he's good at that. Rutledge reported on racing, which didn't require driving a car. Adam is a comedian which for some involves never even owning a car. He may own lots of cars, but that doesn't mean he gets a chance to drive them at the limit. They seem to know a lot about cars they have owned. Rutledge knows a lot about volkswagens, Adam knows a lot about GM landbarges. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

Sorry, I wasn't home when they called. :v:

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Keep in mind that the TGUK guys have been car journalists for decades. Clarkson and May have been doing it since the 80s, and I don't really know when Hammond started. They've had years and years to perfect their driving. Tanner has been racing his whole life, so he's good at that. Rutledge reported on racing, which didn't require driving a car. Adam is a comedian which for some involves never even owning a car. He may own lots of cars, but that doesn't mean he gets a chance to drive them at the limit. They seem to know a lot about cars they have owned. Rutledge knows a lot about volkswagens, Adam knows a lot about GM landbarges. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

They had Adam Carolla for a minute but they took too long so he went and did that other terrible car show. He owns a bunch of nice cars and does amateur races so he's at least competent at driving. I think it would've been much better with him instead. Watch Fererras stand up and you'll see he's not very good at anything.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

Ariza posted:

They had Adam Carolla for a minute but they took too long so he went and did that other terrible car show. He owns a bunch of nice cars and does amateur races so he's at least competent at driving. I think it would've been much better with him instead. Watch Fererras stand up and you'll see he's not very good at anything.

To be honest, Adam Carolla isn't funny at all to me. Everyone always brings up his name, but I honestly don't understand how he'd fit at all. I mean, that other car show was pretty awful. Didn't he have full control over it?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

To be honest, Adam Carolla isn't funny at all to me. Everyone always brings up his name, but I honestly don't understand how he'd fit at all. I mean, that other car show was pretty awful. Didn't he have full control over it?

One could argue the "Top Gear" name has weight when it comes to gaining initial viewership.

Also, he would be PART of the writing team so it wouldn't be such an echo chamber of so-so ideas.

Think if Hammond did all the writing for TG. :3:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ariza posted:

Yeah Adam wanted to do it but by the time History got their act together he was locked into a sitcom that never got picked up.

I know he is a divisive character but I can't feel that he wouldn't have been a better choice as a host. He would have been the perfect US Jeremy Clarkson.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

He even has the right hair.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The best part about The Car Show was Matt Farah. Actually, he should replace Rutledge or Adam in Top Gear US.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

eunos posted:

I'll be contrary and state that I'm tiring of TGUSA. Now for 2 episodes in a row the "prize" for winning the challenge was a drive in a bonkers supercar, and both times the producers magicked Tanner into the driver's seat. The Las Vegas cab episode was clearly won by Adam, but whelp, lets come up with a reason to disqualify him so that Tanner gets into the driver's seat of the McLaren.

Either teach the other 2 to drive, or get rid of Tanner. It affects the show's dynamic that there is such a skill disparity between the three hosts.

Here's how that race would have gone with the other 2 in the McLaren:

"And the McLaren gets lapped again...and again...and another time...once more for good measure"

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think Hammond was a radio DJ before he became a top gear host, although according to wiki in 1998 he was also a tv presenter for motorweek. He's been doing top gear for a decade. So unless there's some hidden racing background that I'm missing, it just goes to show that a "normal person" can stand toe to toe with long term motor journos, given some motivation and time.

I get what you're saying, to a point. I would argue that none of the TGUK hosts "know how to drive" at least in the context of being a professional driver. They're talented amateurs, better drivers than myself certainly, but none have the skill of Tanner. And that's what makes TGUK so magic - all 3 hosts are similar in talent to each other, so they function well together as a team, there's not one person holding the others back, and vice versa there's not one person who's so head and shoulders above the others that he's being held back by his partners.

They're all pretty even steven regarding who tests what. Hell, Captain Slow did a top speed run in the Veyron, and Hammond drove the infamous drag car that almost got him killed. It's not all Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy.

Add to that the car reviews themselves on TGUK can be very evocative. They communicate very well why I should care about a Mustang (Hammond), an old Rolls Royce (May), or a Toyota GT86 (Clarkson), to name some examples. I get excited thinking about owning a car and driving a car that prior to viewing the episode, I didn't even give a second thought. Watching Tanner doing donuts and shouting "WHOOOAH", and "THIS IS SO COOL" over and over again does nothing for me. At least Rutledge tries to talk about cars within the framework of their cultural context.

I never thought I'd be bored by a Bugatti Veyron review until I watched Tanner Foust.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

golgo13sf posted:

Here's how that race would have gone with the other 2 in the McLaren:

"And the McLaren gets lapped again...and again...and another time...once more for good measure"

But is that a flaw of Rutledge and Adam, or a flaw of the segment? I'd argue that Clarkson, May, and Hammond would've equally gotten their asses handed to them. So maybe the McLaren should've been presented in a different manner.

I'm just tired of Tanner reviewing all the hot cars. He's like one of those dolls with the string at the back, with 6 preprogrammed things to say. *pull string* "WHOOAAAH". *pull string* "THIS IS SOOOO COOL" *pull string* "BURNOUUUT" etc.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tanner shows why the Stig isn't allowed to talk.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

eunos posted:

But is that a flaw of Rutledge and Adam, or a flaw of the segment? I'd argue that Clarkson, May, and Hammond would've equally gotten their asses handed to them. So maybe the McLaren should've been presented in a different manner.

I'm just tired of Tanner reviewing all the hot cars. He's like one of those dolls with the string at the back, with 6 preprogrammed things to say. *pull string* "WHOOAAAH". *pull string* "THIS IS SOOOO COOL" *pull string* "BURNOUUUT" etc.

A flaw of the segment for sure. Who else is going to go against a professional race car driver and make it competitive? There really was no other option. The way he got picked to do it was hamfisted as gently caress but there was no way anyone else was getting in that car.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

golgo13sf posted:

A flaw of the segment for sure. Who else is going to go against a professional race car driver and make it competitive? There really was no other option. The way he got picked to do it was hamfisted as gently caress but there was no way anyone else was getting in that car.

Which is very true, which is why you don't have that segment at all. It's not like this was foisted upon them by god. The producers planned this segment and thought it was a good idea. And from there it was a logical extension to get Tanner behind the wheel for the reasons you state. The problem is that they do stuff like this over and over and over, and I'm tired of Tanner being the one to review all of the cars.

I just want to be entertained by my car show, dammit, I don't care how they do it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

eunos posted:

Which is very true, which is why you don't have that segment at all. It's not like this was foisted upon them by god. The producers planned this segment and thought it was a good idea. And from there it was a logical extension to get Tanner behind the wheel for the reasons you state. The problem is that they do stuff like this over and over and over, and I'm tired of Tanner being the one to review all of the cars.

I just want to be entertained by my car show, dammit, I don't care how they do it.

Disagree about ditching the segment. Top Gear USAs host dynamic may not be great and up for debate, but that segment was one of the most interesting things I've seen on any version of Top Gear.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Sockington posted:

Think if Hammond did all the writing for TG. :3:

It would be all about Top Porsche

eunos posted:

I think Hammond was a radio DJ before he became a top gear host, although according to wiki in 1998 he was also a tv presenter for motorweek. He's been doing top gear for a decade. So unless there's some hidden racing background that I'm missing, it just goes to show that a "normal person" can stand toe to toe with long term motor journos, given some motivation and time.

I get what you're saying, to a point. I would argue that none of the TGUK hosts "know how to drive" at least in the context of being a professional driver. They're talented amateurs, better drivers than myself certainly, but none have the skill of Tanner. And that's what makes TGUK so magic - all 3 hosts are similar in talent to each other, so they function well together as a team, there's not one person holding the others back, and vice versa there's not one person who's so head and shoulders above the others that he's being held back by his partners.

They're all pretty even steven regarding who tests what. Hell, Captain Slow did a top speed run in the Veyron, and Hammond drove the infamous drag car that almost got him killed. It's not all Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy.

I haven't watched too many episodes of TGUS, but while Richard, James, Jeremy are all close on the racing level scale to each other, I would imagine Tanner wins anything having to do with driving, while the others are given wins to just help the show? :iiam:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Kenshin posted:

The best part about The Car Show was Matt Farah. Actually, he should replace Rutledge or Adam in Top Gear US.

Noooo. Rutledge is easily my favorite. He's very much the personification of internet car guys. I mean, who else would buy another presenters car because it was so cool, even if it meant losing the challenge?

He even later sold the XR4ti to somebody on Jalopnik.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, I would watch a straight hour of Rutledge just buying weird 80s-90s cars and pointing out why they're weird.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Noooo. Rutledge is easily my favorite. He's very much the personification of internet car guys. I mean, who else would buy another presenters car because it was so cool, even if it meant losing the challenge?

He even later sold the XR4ti to somebody on Jalopnik.
Ok, you're right.

He should just replace Adam.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Adam Ferrara is pretty much supposed to be Adam Corolla. He's Italian, his first name is Adam and his last name sounds kind of like a car. Same thing, ship it out. There can't be any other reason for him to be on the show. Surely they could have found an actually funny comedian who likes cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So maybe Seinfeld?

Sadly, I have to agree that Adam is the weakest link. Rutledge has this goony persona and Tanner is all "POWAAA!!" like Clarkson, except actually capable and less offensive. The show could do a better job of using them, certainly, but it's only Adam that doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

So maybe Seinfeld?

Sadly, I have to agree that Adam is the weakest link. Rutledge has this goony persona and Tanner is all "POWAAA!!" like Clarkson, except actually capable and less offensive. The show could do a better job of using them, certainly, but it's only Adam that doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table.

Seinfeld has more many than Jesus, so I couldn't see him doing anything where he didn't have complete creative control. I think they need someone that certain people find offensive like Clarkson. It's much more interesting than the presenter's milquetoast personalities. Even with all of it's faults, I will continue to watch Top Gear US because it does keep me entertained for an hour once a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So Bob Saget

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reiterating my dream cast of Alton Brown, Patrick Warburton, and William Shatner.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't forget Jay Leno. Although Jay is closer to James May in his love of mechanical things. James and Jay Leno would make an interesting combination for a car show I bet.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

So Bob Saget
That's brilliant. I would watch that show.

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Finally doing a special in two parts is great, so much that normally gets cuts on these trips.

Now just to wait a week for part two...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Yeah, really great special so far.

I assume they were referring to a Richard Hammond hosted animal special when they were joking about Hammond seeing animals that no one else could see. Anyone know what that was?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, really great special so far.

I assume they were referring to a Richard Hammond hosted animal special when they were joking about Hammond seeing animals that no one else could see. Anyone know what that was?

Planet Earth Live

Because the time difference between the UK and Africa is negligible, every night when it aired in prime time it was dark in Kenya (where Hammond was hosting from).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Can I just say God drat!?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 4, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jezza's gut or Hammond's high-trousers?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've noticed there was a lack of "fat American" jokes recently.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
drat, some parts of Africa are absolutely beautiful.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just dont understand how jeremy's spine works. Also goddamn epic episode so far.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Haha, the height of May's gut. That's an ale drinker right there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Minto Took posted:

I've noticed there was a lack of "fat American" jokes recently.

I think Jezza is more of an honorary American than Hammond based just on his gut.

As for Hammond's hair, I'll be 50 this year and have no gray hairs, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did color his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
This ep is making me want to track down some stock ride height springs for my bugeye and unleash my inner agri-yob.