Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Try Wikia, I think they let you have unlimited users. I'd set one up but my account on that site appears to be jacked up, I can't log in right now even after requesting a password reset.

Nominating "Goons with Brews" or "Goons with Booze" as site name.

I'm okay with anything I get to edit (because I'm powerhungry), but someone should volunteer/be volunteered to start it up so we don't have everyone doubling up work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I started hacking away at a San Diego one, so nobody waste their time on that. Let ME be the one to start it and give up on it in a few hours, THEN pass it along to the rest of the public to tinker with. Thanks.

I'll be glad to port it over to a central repo if that gets decided upon at some point.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

beergoons.jpg

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have a (cheap) host and a domain that I can donate to the cause as long as you guys are cool with my hilariously (bad?) awesome domain of LegionofAwesomeBeer.com (my friends and I were going to blog about homebrewing but we got too lazy :P)

As long as that doesn't offend anyone I can get a wiki setup at some point today/this weekend.

Set it up on your page and give us all a url to register, let's do this!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Is that the beer version of calm.jpg?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I created a wiki at https://www.legionofawesomebeer.com with nothing in it. I think I'll eventually require an account to edit anything but it requires editing one of the php files so I'll get to that when I'm not at work.

Let me know if you find any issues. (I do have PMs)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I created a wiki at https://www.legionofawesomebeer.com with nothing in it. I think I'll eventually require an account to edit anything but it requires editing one of the php files so I'll get to that when I'm not at work.

Let me know if you find any issues. (I do have PMs)

I know what I'm doing with my last 45 minutes at work...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Cool, I'll start writing stuff up and then paste it in. So I guess that means don't register on the wiki yet right?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
You can register if you want your edits to be under your account name rather than your IP address. The warning is that eventually I will edit the site to only allow editing with an account, nothing will happen to accounts that have already been created.

haha dammit now I'm just reading all the documentation on how to customize the wiki. I guess thats my last 45m of work...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hooray thank you! I'll start tackling this tonight I think.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Am I the only one that doesn't like nitro beers?

I just had Left Hand Milk Stout for the first time and its miles and miles better than Nitro Milk Stout to me. I guess I prefer the mouthfeel of CO2?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mahoning posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't like nitro beers?

more mouthfeel at the expense of taste; nitro, with a few exceptions, doesn't do much for me, either.

poo poo, looking at the (potential) beergoonwiki and i might just have to write something up for VA (leaving NOVA for air-, though)

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Okay, if we're gonna use the Legion of Awesome Beer domain, then San Diego has been ported over (or at least the most important parts of it). I'll continue to chip away on the more fun, FAQ-type of stuff either later tonight or over the weekend or monday or if Angry Grimace beats me to it or whatever...

http://www.legionofawesomebeer.com/index.php?title=San_Diego

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Can we add in places that people don't really care about, because I will do that. I guess it could be useful to have guides for places that suck so hard you need to find good beer

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Wrt the wiki: There're no brewpubs in DFW? I thought there were two; did they close?

Also, sure, add whatever you like, I'd be innerested in reading it anyway.

I call Bend if that ain't obvious yet.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Wrt the wiki: There're no brewpubs in DFW? I thought there were two; did they close?

Also, sure, add whatever you like, I'd be innerested in reading it anyway.

I call Bend if that ain't obvious yet.

Was me. The Covey no longer exists (the guy who brewed there is the head brewer at Community though) and to me, BJ's doesn't really count. Unless you're thinking of Two Rows, which also doesn't exist anymore.

And I also throw in random bumfuck places from having traveled, yeah.

e: I really like the "I have one day in xyz", that's a good thing to throw in.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I think I've finally gotten some stuff good enough for a Chicago bottle share. Picked up a Red Poppy, Deliverence and Sucaba tonight, which Binny's still has.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

What It Dooski posted:

I think I've finally gotten some stuff good enough for a Chicago bottle share. Picked up a Red Poppy, Deliverence and Sucaba tonight, which Binny's still has.

Which Binnys? I still haven't seen Sucaba on the shelf, though I was out of town when it hit.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dangit, I left my Chicago document at work. :(

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

dumptruckzzz posted:

Can we add in places that people don't really care about, because I will do that. I guess it could be useful to have guides for places that suck so hard you need to find good beer

I'm itching for a chance to write up entries about Syracuse NY and New Haven, CT so I'm hoping the answer is "yes"

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm itching for a chance to write up entries about Syracuse NY and New Haven, CT so I'm hoping the answer is "yes"

It's great to have stuff like this wherever you know about...though I could make a guess and say I'd never go to Syracuse or New Haven, I also never thought I'd spend two separate weeks of my life in both Bemidji, MN (twice!) and Burlington, VT but those happened and I was largely UNPREPARED. I retroactively blame the nonexistence of this wiki.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
The world is now ready to drink in Erie

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm slowly going to go through everything you guys create and organize it. As in assign categories, make breweries their own pages that are referenced in cities, make beers their own thing so that they can be referenced in breweries, etc. That way the brewery page can have more info than the summary on the city page and beer can have their own page for reviews or something.

Might spend some time tomorrow making some templates for cities, breweries, and beers. Anything else I should tackle?

E: Oh god, did I just break it somehow? I wasn't even in the db yet...

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 2, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I got the chance to try Enjoy By last night, and it was super-duper awesome. Definitely one of the best IIPAs I've ever had. It had such an awesome grapefruit taste, and while my sense of smell is pretty shot since I'm recovering from a cold, it still had an awesome aroma.

Fat Head's Oompa Loompa chocolate cream stout was pretty darn good as well, it had a good chocolate/vanilla flavor. I read in some reviews that people didn't taste much vanilla in it, but I thought it had a really good vanilla backbone... after all, they did add vanilla beans to it. The one downside I have with all stouts that aren't super heavy imperials are the mouth feel, because I really wish they'd have the same mouth feel as a RIS. I just absolutely love that creamy, silky, heavy mouth feel that beers like Expedition, Founders Imperial, and Stone RIS have.

Speaking of Russian Imperial Stouts, I actually drank a bottle of 2012 Stone I had in my cellar, because I recently found a store that had a case of Stone left, so I was able to stock up a bit more. Stone RIS is by far my favorite stout, and probably my favorite beer. It just has such an amazing flavor, mouthfeel, and aroma. It's really all I could ever ask for in a beer, if it was year round I'd probably drink one every single week.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Seriously, did it just go down for everyone? I was just editing the Chicago page's text D:

E: haha its back? Maybe? What happened hahaha.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

as long as there are no admin or bandwidth issues and people feel like adding something, i don't see why they shouldn't. question, though: the likes of San Diego and Denver obviously deserve something in-depth, but for places with smaller and/or less-defined beer scenes, should we roll them into states or regions or have a whole bunch of scattered entries? also, can we not get too BA-style?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'll do my best representation of the Kansas City beer scene. I won't be able to get to it until some time during the week, though. That gives me time to read some of yours as templates.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Benefits of moving: I find beer in the basement that I completely forgot about. What's up Odell bourbon barrel stout and Allagash Curieux :getin:

Also randomly encountered Pliny The Elder on tap at dinner. It's been a good beer day.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 2, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Also randomly encountered Pliny The Elder on tap at dinner. It's been a good beer day.

Where in Ft. Collins would get it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Where in Ft. Collins would get it?

Choice City has it on tap from time to time (like tonight). I've found bottles at Wilbur's and Supermarket Liquors.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
RE: the wiki... I'm all for making it big and inclusive, but if we can find a way to organize it and still make it easy to read, that'd be awesome. There's plenty of info on BA, for instance, on local scenes but they're very hard to skim through for visits, new residents, etc. So all I ask is that we keep it clean and organized.

In beer drinking news, my sister being in town means an excuse to bust open gueuzes! Started with 3F (still the best) and then did Boon's (good but sorely lacking compared to the previous). I'm planning on sending her home with my last 3F and Tilquin. She really doesn't drink much but repeatedly told me that they were better than any wine she's ever had. So true...

Then used her as an excuse to open a Black Note. She appreciated it but really struggled to put down more than a few ounces. More for me! Second only to BCBS as a bourbon barrel stout. Worth the hype and very glad that Bell's finally made it kind of available.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

danbanana posted:

Which Binnys? I still haven't seen Sucaba on the shelf, though I was out of town when it hit.

Clark, you have to ask for it though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

funkybottoms posted:

as long as there are no admin or bandwidth issues and people feel like adding something, i don't see why they shouldn't. question, though: the likes of San Diego and Denver obviously deserve something in-depth, but for places with smaller and/or less-defined beer scenes, should we roll them into states or regions or have a whole bunch of scattered entries? also, can we not get too BA-style?

Something like New Jersey could definitely fit into a single page, while I could see NYC needing to be split up by borough if people get really into listing and describing all the good bars.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Toebone posted:

Something like New Jersey could definitely fit into a single page, while I could see NYC needing to be split up by borough if people get really into listing and describing all the good bars.

New Jersey would best be split into a North and South section with Central possibly even getting it's own section. South Jersey is much closer to Philly than Central Jersey and North Jersey is much closer to New York, for instance.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Most of the bottle stores in LA have been putting a limit on Sucaba purchases. This exception is just ridiculous.

If you are in the LA area, check out Total Wine in Northridge.

Edit: Fixed the picture because I didn't see the extreme size when posting from my phone.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2013

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

Most of the bottle stores in LA have been putting a limit on Sucaba purchases. This exception is just ridiculous.

If you are in the LA area, check out Total Wine in Northridge.

haha, that's three times as much (and a dollar cheaper) as the entire Richmond metro area received.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I've seen one bottle in KC (yesterday, in fact) and it was behind the counter with a hold tag on it.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for the Chigoon heads up on Sucaba- picked up the last one they had at the Binnys on Clark about 30 mins ago!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Yeah, I'd ordered six online from Bevmo. They called to tell me they had a one bottle limit per customer per day, but when I got there to pick it up the next day I was asked if I wanted my original order, that they had the limit taken off. Since then it seems I'm seeing plenty on shelves wherever I go. Whole Foods La Jolla has about 15 on the shelve, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Just received a box that a kind East Coast soul not on SA sent me the other day. Two Ithaca Flower Powers, three Nugget Nectars, one Captain Lawrence Imperial IPA, and a Maine Brewing Co Peeper Ale. Stoked to dig into this later, since I've been primarily drinking stouts and barleywines this winter (exceptions being Hopslam and getting some Zombie Dust on tap).