Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
unless youre an elite athlete or something pls just bench more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

genderstomper58 posted:

unless youre an elite athlete or something pls just bench more

IDK man. Sometimes its nice to just do DBs or something.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Or do dumbbell bench

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I feel like my other lifts are going up, but my bench sucks. What are some options to break the plateau?

Do crossfit.

Today is an off day but I feel fat and gross from drinking a bottle of vodka and cranberry. Off to the gym to do some cardio I guess.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Kaliber posted:

Do crossfit.

Today is an off day but I feel fat and gross from drinking a bottle of vodka and cranberry. Off to the gym to do some cardio I guess.

a person wants to lift More Weight and you recommend crossfit? lol

Cynical1
Feb 9, 2013
I seem to be the only person in the Army who struggles hardest with sit-ups on the APFT. So for what its worth, the best exercise Ive ever found for improving that was the Crossfit style Glute Ham Situp.

You could lookup the video on their site but its basically sitting upright on the horizontal Glute Ham isolator, locking in your feet, and bending over backwards as you reach out to touch the floor, then sitting back up. Its almost as much of a workout for your abs as it is the hip flexors.

As long as youre careful not to go too fast and hurt your back, 2 sets of 20 of these every other day helped me max out my situps.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

a person wants to lift More Weight and you recommend crossfit? lol

You see, CrossFit makes you a total athlete. Yes he might be able to bench 300 pounds a few times. But can he do 45pounds a 100 times?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kaliber posted:

You see, CrossFit makes you a total athlete. Yes he might be able to bench 300 pounds a few times. But can he do 45pounds a 100 times?

That's an estimated 1RM of 195lb. I'd rather try that for 15 reps than 45 for 100.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I'm not being serious. It was just something the owner of CrossFit Oahu said to a bunch of JPAC guys when our old Detachment Commander use to send us to a CrossFit train the trainer type class that ran a thousand something per person.

"You see a power lifter can dead lift 600 pounds. But I bet a CrossFitter can do 135 pounds 200 times and the power lifter can't! It's because we're an all around better athletes!"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Kaliber posted:

I'm not being serious. It was just something the owner of CrossFit Oahu said to a bunch of JPAC guys when our old Detachment Commander use to send us to a CrossFit train the trainer type class that ran a thousand something per person.

"You see a power lifter can dead lift 600 pounds. But I bet a CrossFitter can do 135 pounds 200 times and the power lifter can't! It's because we're an all around better athletes!"

Crossfitters can say some incredibly stupid poo poo.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Cynical1 posted:

I seem to be the only person in the Army who struggles hardest with sit-ups on the APFT. So for what its worth, the best exercise Ive ever found for improving that was the Crossfit style Glute Ham Situp.

You could lookup the video on their site but its basically sitting upright on the horizontal Glute Ham isolator, locking in your feet, and bending over backwards as you reach out to touch the floor, then sitting back up. Its almost as much of a workout for your abs as it is the hip flexors.

As long as youre careful not to go too fast and hurt your back, 2 sets of 20 of these every other day helped me max out my situps.

I consistently get in the high 80's to 90's on sit-ups. The only ab exercise I do is the captain's chair I believe it's called. You get on the dips station and raise your legs.

Although, I can do the sit-ups after not working out for a month and still max it. I told a few people about that exercise and they maxed the sit ups.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you guys are looking for another solid all around program besides 5x5/starting strength that gives you a lot of flexibility then try WS4SB

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I consistently get in the high 80's to 90's on sit-ups. The only ab exercise I do is the captain's chair I believe it's called. You get on the dips station and raise your legs.

Although, I can do the sit-ups after not working out for a month and still max it. I told a few people about that exercise and they maxed the sit ups.

I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I run and my situp score.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

I've noticed a positive correlation between how much I run and my situp score.

I maxed the AF situp portion in about 50 seconds and got like 12:15 on the run. I am poo poo at running.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

I maxed the AF situp portion in about 50 seconds and got like 12:15 on the run. I am poo poo at running.

If I'm not mistaken, AF situp form and Army situp form are completely different.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

AF is lovely crunches, so yeah probably. My prep was to make sure I could max real situps, then for the test do the half-assed AF version.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ashmole posted:

Im gonna try this. I've been doing the military athlete APFT program, and it's take on situps is "DO A LOT OF SITUPS.....NEXT DAY DO SOME MORE!!!". This should be interesting.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Using the Glute Ham Isolator and doing those super negative situps definitely works, like Cynical1 said. You can also use those decline situp bench things, those work pretty well too. Just do something like 3 sets of 30 or whatever.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I sometimes do dragon flags when I want my abz to pop out and look real sexy.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Wed is mandatory CROSSFIT WEDNESDAYS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7fBtj81c

When it's my turn to run the unit WOD I'm going to seriously make them to kipping push ups, kipping sit ups off the ball, and kipping squats. It will be EPIC because we make fun of the Navy for their stupid work outs. I think at one point they did Tae Bo on the field. Or was it p90x's cardio thing? Whatever it was, it looked silly.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 6, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So kipping is throwing your body into it to build momentum and make pull ups easier?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
No, it's how to gradually and dramatically injure your shoulders.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Are we not supposed to take PT tests with proscription strength antiinflammatories and caffeine pills? Oops.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

Are we not supposed to take PT tests with proscription strength antiinflammatories and caffeine pills? Oops.

How did you do? Because that sounds kinda AWESOME.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wake up a bit early. One red bull, one small gatorade. 2 x 800mg motrin with naproxen to taste.

Breakfast cocktail of PT champions.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
5 hour energy
1000mg tylenol
Tums
Take one hour beforehand

Covers all your bases. Caffine makes the tylenol stronger and you have antiacid to do antiacid stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I miss my Iraq breakfast

1 Wild Tiger
2 Marlboro Reds
1 Lipper of Skoal

Meet the day head on

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

not caring here posted:

Wake up a bit early. One red bull, one small gatorade. 2 x 800mg motrin with naproxen to taste.

Breakfast cocktail of PT champions.

Lol naproxen and Motrin?

Hey bro don't take more than 800 mg Motrin (or any other nsaid) at a time please. Every 6-8 hours. 8 is ideal. you're not benefiting from the excess at all. Just hurting your kidneys. You CAN take something like Tylenol at the same time though as acetaminophen is processed through the liver (don't take Tylenol for hangovers!)

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Welp, still have a 281 after being at NTC for a month. I should give up trying to get a 13 minute 2 miler.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Just keep your push ups and sit ups at 100 points each and get really huge and worse at running. Running is for fags anyway. Score a 270 and you'll be fine.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Martello posted:

Just keep your push ups and sit ups at 100 points each and get really huge and worse at running. Running is for fags anyway. Score a 270 and you'll be fine.

Apparently I gained 5 lbs, but I'm still pretty lean...so yeah I agree.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Kaliber posted:

How did you do? Because that sounds kinda AWESOME.

15 points higher than my last PT test like a month ago, significantly reduced fucks being given about stupid TRADOC PT in between. I'd say pretty good over all.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Martello posted:

If I got really good at push ups and sit ups I would score a 260.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Christoff posted:

Lol naproxen and Motrin?

Hey bro don't take more than 800 mg Motrin (or any other nsaid) at a time please. Every 6-8 hours. 8 is ideal. you're not benefiting from the excess at all. Just hurting your kidneys. You CAN take something like Tylenol at the same time though as acetaminophen is processed through the liver (don't take Tylenol for hangovers!)

I'll stick with percocet and methadone before my PT test..

by the way do you guys ever give out dilaudid in any military setting? We get tons of soldiers in our civilian sector (both soldier and dependent) and they all seem to know about the big D, but I always assumed you guys had nothing like that...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MurderBot posted:

I'll stick with percocet and methadone before my PT test..

by the way do you guys ever give out dilaudid in any military setting? We get tons of soldiers in our civilian sector (both soldier and dependent) and they all seem to know about the big D, but I always assumed you guys had nothing like that...

As Corpsman? Nah, they don't let us have that poo poo. You might get Valium and definitely morphine in a combat setting. We could give it under a Doctors supervision or maybe nurse though.

Military docs are really stingy with controlled substances. They'll rarely give it out. Where I worked before was a Military setting but civilian docs. They handed that poo poo out like candy. Anything you requested. Because they knew it was free and they has nothing to lose. But it does lead to the dependapotomos coming in bi-weekly for her "migraine" fix.

I don't get the above because Military docs treating dependents hand poo poo out like candy too. I guess because Military folk can't complain and raise a fuss as much who knows.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Been on a strict diet of fish/veggies or chicken/veggies 4 times a day, taking in about 120g of protein from shakes throughout the day and doing a body builder routine. Trying to get as big as possible so I have to get taped my next PT test and getting a 8% body fat thing on the army tape test. I'm about 8 pounds away and probably going to fail my run. But gently caress it. YOLO right?

I did up my cardio from never doing it to twice a week of 30/60's. Hopefully I get a 15 minute mile and that'll be my 70 bringing me to a 270 on my PT test. If only my next unit PT test isn't when I return from a 40 day loving mission where I won't do cardio and have a poo poo diet of mountain house meals and whatever the gently caress the locals in my village is serving.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 9, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kaliber posted:

I did up my cardio from never doing it to twice a week of 30/60's. Hopefully I get a 15 minute mile and that'll be my 70 bringing me to a 270 on my PT test. If only my next unit PT test isn't when I return from a 40 day loving mission where I won't do cardio and have a poo poo diet of mountain house meals and whatever the gently caress the locals in my village is serving.

I may be missing something here, but isn't a 15 minute mile slower than a walking pace?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
I think he means 15 minute two mile. Or else he is 60 years old.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I meant 2 mile.

And I did my first mud run. It is in fun alot like basic training. In the sense that both were extremely gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Kaliber posted:

I meant 2 mile.

And I did my first mud run. It is in fun alot like basic training. In the sense that both were extremely gay.

Tough Mudder? My commander was casually throwing around the idea during our huddle one day. He mentioned how it was $140 dollars and it was like 15 miles. Everyone went silent and the commander just said "yeah, that sounds loving gay".