Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's a shame the goodbye golden shower wasn't done in Spartacus ultra-drama slow mo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

hollylolly posted:

If they cut out all the slow motion shots this show would be about twenty minutes long - but I LOVE every single one of them. The part where Agron spirals down the rope from the wall was freaking gorgeous. He was like a Roman-times Batman, it was incredible. I could watch it over and over (and now I have the gif so I am). :swoon:

I have a bunch of legitimate things to say about this episode, but but THIS. I think the part that MADE the silly sequence so awesome was Saxa in the front of the end of the shot. As he's landing, she's pulling her knife. It's just SO cool and "Hell yeah!"

Whereas, the bizarre zooming effect during the caravan raid looked really really bad to me. And I'm down with the crazy blood and slo-mo, but the zooming made me kind of sea-sick?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Man, the cinematography on the show got really loving good. That fight on the wagon owned.

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

I'm sure that knife wound is gonna be significant somehow. Spartacus really seemed out of it when he did that bro handshake with Crixus. Also, I'm curious as to what's gonna happen with Castus, given that he was Heracleo's right hand man (I think?).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BlackArtistik posted:

I'm sure that knife wound is gonna be significant somehow. Spartacus really seemed out of it when he did that bro handshake with Crixus. Also, I'm curious as to what's gonna happen with Castus, given that he was Heracleo's right hand man (I think?).

Well according to history there is a rebel leader named Castus.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

BlackArtistik posted:

The black pirate? He's in trailer shots with Spartacus's army (during large battle scenes) so I'd imagine he sticks with them after an initial argument over his trustworthiness.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Every season Agron looks more and more like Spartacus. I'm not sure if they're setting him up for the bait and switch in the finale, or if that's just my weird thinking. Agron isn't anyone historically, so maybe that's why DeKnight developed the character and has had him stick around. Having him be ID'd as Spartacus might allow the real one to escape, though I'm not sure that would be a satisfactory conclusion for the Spartacus story arc.

Though I do have a theory about a time jump in the finale... Historical spoilers follow: Some 17 years after the slave revolt is put down, Crassus is given Syria as his province. While there, he gets into a battle and is eventually killed. Who do we know that's from Syria? Perhaps Nasir will flee east after the revolt is put down, finally finding revenge for his fellow slaves some years down the line while there.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I'm sure Agron will pout a bunch about keeping him around and then go back to being super cool. Speaking of, I like how they gave a little shout out to his brother this episode. I like it when they go back and talk about characters from season 1, it feels like fan service.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Robert Analog posted:

I'm sure Agron will pout a bunch about keeping him around and then go back to being super cool.

Then threesome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AshB posted:

This show is great. One minute I loathe Tyberius for being a thickheaded, classist little poo poo toward Crassus's awesome gladiator slave, the next minute.

Well he did get one hell of a sand eating beatdown from that line of reasoning.

Also thank the gods for bringing back stuntman Richard Norton for the pilot episode, he's in awesome shape considering his age.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

aBagorn posted:

That's just some great cinematography there.

And the fight choreography, there just isn't enough superlatives spread around about it. Just look at how each of the men fight. Spartacus, a loving force of nature. Craxus, brute strength and by just being more a vicious bastard than the guy he's fighting. And Gannicus, like some sort of murder artist, killing people absolutely ridiculously. This show is the loving greatest. Definitely the most visceral show I watch.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I really don't know how everyone is raving about the cinematography and choreography, there were glaring instances of weapons not actually connecting with people this episode and people reacting to it. It was pretty awful honestly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zotix posted:

I really don't know how everyone is raving about the cinematography and choreography, there were glaring instances of weapons not actually connecting with people this episode and people reacting to it. It was pretty awful honestly.

Gannicus is so awesome even a near miss instantly kills a roman soldier.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hopefully Agron and/or Nasir form the Free Bro Army after Spartacus and the others get slaughtered.

Bro Handshakes all over the world, dude. *flexes; styles/profiles*

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

Probably because everyone thinks it is awesome and it is. The Spartacus-Crixus-Gannicus zoom-through was one of the cooler things on the show to this point. Were these "glaring instances" actually key moments in the foreground or just in the background or edge of frame?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Wandle Cax posted:

Probably because everyone thinks it is awesome and it is. The Spartacus-Crixus-Gannicus zoom-through was one of the cooler things on the show to this point. Were these "glaring instances" actually key moments in the foreground or just in the background or edge of frame?

I actually noticed a bit of that too and it was a little jarring but, I don't honestly give a poo poo, I watch this show because it is just loving insane not because it portrays anything resembling an accurate fight.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Crixus sparring at the beginning with the other rebel. The second rebel cracks him in the face, and it doesn't even come close to connecting.

Then again in the docks scene, I'm pretty sure it was Gannicus, he sweeps a Roman, who does his front summersault before the weapon even connects with him.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think the only moment that I noticed that bugged me was when Caesar (I think?) and some roman soldiers were running and it went into super-slo-mo for no reason other than to show them take like 3 steps before going back to full speed. Nothing else jumped out at me as pointless and whatever minor misses there were, were more than made up by the handful of really awesome shots throughout the episode.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Considering this isn't real, there's always going to be a certain margin of obvious fakery with the stabbing and whatnot. But the fact that you're obsessed with it in an episode overflowing with kickass moments makes it seem you're missing the forest because of one insignificant tree dude.

EDIT: There are more missed punches in Rocky 4 than a tag-team match involving the blind, but don't you tell me that it doesn't have some of the most rousing fighting in moviedom, buster.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

Crixus sparring at the beginning with the other rebel. The second rebel cracks him in the face, and it doesn't even come close to connecting.

Then again in the docks scene, I'm pretty sure it was Gannicus, he sweeps a Roman, who does his front summersault before the weapon even connects with him.

That's just some fairly extreme nitpicking though.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

That's just some fairly extreme nitpicking though.

I really don't think it is, I don't look for this stuff it just was blatantly noticable. This is the first time in the entire show I've seen anything like it, and twice in one episode.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Despite Tiberius being a little rapist shitweasel, I still can't hate him because he looks almost exactly like Adam Devine from Workaholics.

Compare:

vs

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Only way, way, way hotter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Thanks to this thread, I still can't stop thinking of the C.R.A.S.S.U.S. System whenever he or his father are on screen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I guess I kind of see that, but it's just too hard to top Caesar Pitt and Nemetes Redford for look-a-likes this season.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

DoggPickle posted:

I have a bunch of legitimate things to say about this episode, but but THIS. I think the part that MADE the silly sequence so awesome was Saxa in the front of the end of the shot. As he's landing, she's pulling her knife. It's just SO cool and "Hell yeah!"

Seriously this show is just concentrated "Hell Yeah". So glad Crixus didn't punk out. I hate when they're adversaries.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

CubanMissile posted:

Seriously this show is just concentrated "Hell Yeah". So glad Crixus didn't punk out. I hate when they're adversaries.

The whole end sequence was "hell gently caress yea!" It was awesome in every way.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The only thing that throws me off every time from the radness is the actress who plays Naevia's over the top crazy/angry face. It's even worse than Michonne's (The Walking Dead) stupid grumpy face.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

CubanMissile posted:

The only thing that throws me off every time from the radness is the actress who plays Naevia's over the top crazy/angry face. It's even worse than Michonne's (The Walking Dead) stupid grumpy face.

Yep, she's really quite crap.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CubanMissile posted:

I think she is playing a character that is trying too hard to be a bad rear end. I don't think it's bad acting, it's deliberate.

Gannicus' line this episode that was something like "well arent you the warrior now, lay hands on me again and I will treat you as such". He has contempt for her not just because she killed his friend, but she's also pretending to be something she is not.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
In the last few episodes (before apologizing to Gannicus), I think Naevia was given the role of Crixus' bad shoulder angel.
But I agree with someone who mentioned that this actress is way more fitting for the path they chose for the character than the original (though I did like the original Naevia a lot).

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This show has the best cursing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

the posted:

And good insults too. 'Rome does not tremble except in anger at your failure' was an excellent one.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I was really happy to hear the good ol' rock guitar riffs combined with slaughter a la season one. Man, those riffs bring me back!

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

CubanMissile posted:

I don't get this. Naevia is somehow not managing the same level of appropriate hell yeah, without being over the top so that it matches the tone of the show, but michonne on the walking dead is 100 times more annoying. And zzzzzzzz.

I'm really curious what they're planning for the younger girl that likes Gannicus. Either she's gonna go batshit at bunny-boiling levels and actually be his doom, or take a dagger or something for him. She's been around too much to just disappear. I would actually enjoy being surprised though!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

the posted:

You should watch Deadwood ASAP.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You should watch Deadwood ASAP.
Swearengen ! Wu ! Cocksuckers !

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
"Piss and poo poo" has pretty much replaced most of the curses I mumble under my breath these days.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dantes posted:

Swearengen ! Wu ! Cocksuckers !

SAN FRANSEESKO

COCKSUCKAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am not sure where you're getting the "Tiberius raped his mom" thing from. Nothing that I have seen has intimated that she is his mom. Did I miss something? The show is pretty good about these things, so they would have made her noticeably older to make it more chronologically possible, she can't be any more than a year or two older than him.

• Locked thread