Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Wade is a bit of a tool. Honestly if they want someone to keep like poo poo and occasionally score some runs just slap the gloves on Hughes. Its no difference as far as I can see.

Well the problem with that is that Hughes doesn't score runs. Not against test quality attacks, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

Haha, fair enough. Very good keeper might be a case of absence making the heart grow fonder, but surely he was a level above Wade. Anyway, the Aussies don't seem to be making any breakthroughs, and Starc's omission in favour of Maxwell is looking dumber by the minute.

Maybe they've given up on winning and just want to troll the morons who decided to pay a million dollars for him.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doherty/Maxwell: Worst spin combination of all time? They'd have to be right up there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Surely the problem with Aus spinners at the moment is that 99% of the time they're used to tie up an end while Clarke rotates the seamers looking for whoever had the banned substances sprinkled on their Frosties that morning?
So Lyon, Doherty, Maxwho? and anyone else your selectors pick don't actually know how to bowl to take wickets; just how to try to stop the batsmen scoring runs.

Which doesn't really help them win games, and really doesn't help against India, whose batsmen face off against lovely spinners every week (like Harbhajan).

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Cocksmith posted:

Doherty/Maxwell: Worst spin combination of all time? They'd have to be right up there.

I've watched almost the whole day, and it is... embarrassing. They simply don't know what they're doing.

Oh great and Warner's on. Rank full toss on leg stump is how he replies to an awful half tracker. Both dispatched for 4 with no issue. Record partnership for the 2nd wicket.

It's not like the pitch is dead, Siddle got his wicket by getting movement away, and the ball is turning, they just have no idea how to use the flight or set up batsmen who know how to play them confidently.

Hyperriker fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 3, 2013

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Hyperriker posted:

I've watched almost the whole day, and it is... embarrassing. They simply don't know what they're doing.

Oh great and Warner's on. Rank full toss on leg stump is how he replies to an awful half tracker. Both dispatched for 4 with no issue. Record partnership for the 2nd wicket.

It's not like the pitch is dead, Siddle got his wicket by getting movement away, and the ball is turning, they just have no idea how to use the flight or set up batsmen who know how to play them confidently.

I grew up in Australia in the 80s/90s and literally every kid wanted to be a leg spinner because of Shane Warne. Based on this, why the hell does Australia have no spinners?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Look forward to India scoring 600 here, jesus they are cruising.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Australia are pathetic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So when the gently caress is the actual spinner in Australia (S O'Keefe) going to get a game?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

RideTheSpiral posted:

I grew up in Australia in the 80s/90s and literally every kid wanted to be a leg spinner because of Shane Warne. Based on this, why the hell does Australia have no spinners?

Spin bowling is very hard to do.

At every level of cricket a future test spin bowler plays he needs a supportive captain who isn't going to panic and take him out the attack if he gets a hiding.

Especially an attacking leg spinner.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

At every level of cricket a future test spin bowler plays he needs a supportive captain who isn't going to panic and take him out the attack if he gets a hiding.

Yes I am aware of that but the country was literally busting with aspiring spin bowlers, and the Warne generation should be in their mid-twenties.

It is completely bizarre that Australia is the only country (New Zealand excepted, possibly South Africa) without a decent spinner. Even Zimbabwe had a good leg spinner against WI last week!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Yes I am aware of that but the country was literally busting with aspiring spin bowlers, and the Warne generation should be in their mid-twenties.

It is completely bizarre that Australia is the only country (New Zealand excepted, possibly South Africa) without a decent spinner. Even Zimbabwe had a good leg spinner against WI last week!

Man I hope Bruce Martin does well against the poms, I don't want to go back to Jeetan loving Patel again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

RideTheSpiral posted:

We might have one, if he would only be tried. FI average of 25. 30 odd games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress are you two even talking about?

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doherty's average: 130.33 and rising fast.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Cocksmith posted:

Doherty's average: 130.33 and rising fast.

runs for the runs god!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Australia sure are bad at this cricket lark.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Remember the first time Xavier Doherty played a test? 1/517. Second time? 5/620. Now this is the third time...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I don't know what insane asylum the selection panel escaped from but its time for them to return.

Yes no one can bat in the entire country besides Clarke but its not helped by refusing to pick the best first class spinner in the country. Even game for game they are dumb. It would have made more sense to play Maxwell last test and starc this test based on the wickets.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I remember reading one time someone saying that, on the whole, the better a captain is at playing spin, the worse they'll be at captaining it - because they won't respect their spinner as an attacking force.

For instance, off-spinners were Strauss' worst nightmare, but look how much he got out of Swann.

Meanwhile Clarke, a really good player of spin, is now having real trouble working out how to use his spinners properly in India.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Paul.Power posted:

I remember reading one time someone saying that, on the whole, the better a captain is at playing spin, the worse they'll be at captaining it - because they won't respect their spinner as an attacking force.

For instance, off-spinners were Strauss' worst nightmare, but look how much he got out of Swann.

Meanwhile Clarke, a really good player of spin, is now having real trouble working out how to use his spinners properly in India.

It is amusing to watch Clarke batting against spin. He comes down the pitch and turns the first ball of the over away for a single. Then he has to watch -insert Australian batsman here- play 5 balls making Harbhajan look like he's bowling landmines. He must be groaning his face off inside his helmet every time he bats.

I'm unironically sure Jason Gillespie would be more competent against spin than this team.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Watching any South African team trying to play limited overs cricket is a hilarious experience.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Maxwell is so awful, I think I literally would have rathered any other player in the squad take his batting spot and bowl his 10 overs today.

Thinking about it actually yes I would take anyone.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Holy flirking schnit what a depressing state of affairs the cricket is in.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm slightly concerned that the mighty 500-1 of Cook and Trott might get done over here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bunch of flat track bullies.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

serious gaylord posted:

I'm slightly concerned that the mighty 500-1 of Cook and Trott might get done over here.

I honestly think if you mentioned that to a bunch of australians only a few would remember it. We've got such awful memories for how poo poo we are

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hyperriker posted:

I honestly think if you mentioned that to a bunch of australians only a few would remember it. We've got such awful memories for how poo poo we are

Whats important is that I remember it. I remember the precise moment I posted it. I also remember the previous 2 days when there were a bunch of smug Aussies that havent posted since mocking England for being awful.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So when are we going to burn effigies of Micky Arthur and Inventary in the streets?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Haven't they fast tracked citizenship for that asylum seeker who happens to be a reasonable spin bowler yet? Chop chop, there are important cricket games to be won!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lionel RichTea posted:

Haven't they fast tracked citizenship for that asylum seeker who happens to be a reasonable spin bowler yet? Chop chop, there are important cricket games to be won!

I mean we can't be beaten by the darkies, imagine what the rest of the white cricket world would think of us *sips tea*

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

All those years of making kangaroos into boxers and replacement vehicles you should've been making them into cricketers lmbo

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The dearth of kangaroos in Australian cricket is worrying.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this thread is now rated gold. well done guys we've made the best thread we really did it

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehappyprince posted:

this thread is now rated gold. well done guys we've made the best thread we really did it

All it took was a legendary 'Spin twins' partnership.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

serious gaylord posted:

Whats important is that I remember it. I remember the precise moment I posted it. I also remember the previous 2 days when there were a bunch of smug Aussies that havent posted since mocking England for being awful.

Universal Victory

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mickey Arther in the Australian:

“I thought he went very well today, he toiled manfully, he went about three an over which was pretty decent. Xavier gave us what we know Xavier can."

Yeah, he went loving awesome didn't he, must be getting ready for his man of the match speech. The levels of stupidity surrounding that team make the pre floods Wivenhoe Dam looks like a puddle of piss.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Maybe they should just start rating everyone relative to Maxwell, they won't seem that bad then.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Unimpressed posted:

“I thought he went very well today, he toiled manfully, he went about three an over which was pretty decent. Xavier gave us what we know Xavier can."

Yeah, he went loving awesome didn't he, must be getting ready for his man of the match speech. The levels of stupidity surrounding that team make the pre floods Wivenhoe Dam looks like a puddle of piss.

Man I want to wear the rose tinted glasses that Arther has. They must make the Bombing of Dresden look like a fireworks display

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

I wonder if Arthur thinks that economy rate is the only way to judge how well someone bowled. I'm sure the Indian batsman are happy for Doherty to go for around 3 an over, if they attack him too much, he might get taken off.

Shane Warne released more nonsense on his site today, this is my favourite part

quote:

Here is a suggestion from left field that will help spin bowlers, in fact all bowlers for that matter, as everything is in favour of the batsmen: Make the stumps a bit wider and a bit taller. This will help in the battle between bat and ball as there will be more bowled and LBW’s.

• Locked thread