Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lechtansi posted:

This won't fix the bug entirely, all it will do is treat your music like audiobooks and the next time you skip a track in the middle and them listen to it again it will start in the middle. I don't think it fixes the bug where the playlist won't remember where you are after you pause the music.

I'm actually fine with that to be honest - my main issue was getting 45 minutes into a mix before I arrive at work, then 8 hours later when I head home I have to figure out where I was up to again. I don't tend to use playlists that often so I'm not as worried about that; I only mentioned my issue because I thought it might be related to the playlist issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I recently switched to an iphone5 from android and was looking for a free offline map app like Openstreetmap that I had on my android. One where I can download maps for cities that I'm going to be visiting soon that I probably won't have wifi/cellular access (Reykjavik, London, Paris). While it seems that there are several in the itunes store (Galileo, Openmaps) if you want to download the maps, you get have to pay for that access.

Is there a way to enlarge the cache for google maps to pre-download maps for those areas?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is anyone using Copy? It's a Dropbox-like service, really nice app overall. You get 5GB to start with.

e: sign up with my referral link: https://copy.com?r=y3NpfU for an extra 5GB for you and me, if you're feeling charitable.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the kawaiiest posted:

Is anyone using Copy? It's a Dropbox-like service, really nice app overall. You get 5GB to start with.

e: sign up with my referral link: https://copy.com?r=y3NpfU for an extra 5GB for you and me, if you're feeling charitable.

Used your referral to sign up. This looks pretty well made. My referral link, should anyone want to get the extra 5GB: https://copy.com?r=eSA0N8

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Maybe we should make a new thread to keep this one from turning into a referral chain thing.

e: just fyi sometimes it takes a little while for the extra 5GB to show up but it will eventually as long as you actually install the app.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

randyest posted:

Used your referral to sign up. This looks pretty well made. My referral link, should anyone want to get the extra 5GB: https://copy.com?r=eSA0N8

Used, this looks decent.

Here's my link https://copy.com?r=DVyXcj

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
It's a really nice app, I'm surprised actually at how nice it is. The desktop app (Windows) is also really nice. Basically it is just like Dropbox, you get a little folder that you can put your files in. You can share them online too though I've only been able to get the link from the web interface.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to support automatic photo upload like Dropbox. But then again Dropbox always ends up uploading everything, even shots I don't care to keep, so I suppose the manual upload on Copy has its advantages too.

e: unrelated but why in the gently caress doesn't iOS let me select all my photos from my camera roll? I have to tap each photo manually. Grrrrr.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Used, this looks decent.

Here's my link https://copy.com?r=DVyXcj

Cheers, enjoy your extra 5gb!

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I was looking at getting Quickoffice Pro but unfortunately it does not support MLA formatting. That's a deal breaker right there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a word processor app that supports the MLA format?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

illBilliam posted:

I was looking at getting Quickoffice Pro but unfortunately it does not support MLA formatting. That's a deal breaker right there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a word processor app that supports the MLA format?
How does a word processor not support MLA format? Isn't that just how you set the margins, spacing, works cited, etc. ? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like you'd be able to do that in any word processor or text editor.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The Antipop posted:

I recently switched to an iphone5 from android and was looking for a free offline map app like Openstreetmap that I had on my android. One where I can download maps for cities that I'm going to be visiting soon that I probably won't have wifi/cellular access (Reykjavik, London, Paris). While it seems that there are several in the itunes store (Galileo, Openmaps) if you want to download the maps, you get have to pay for that access.

Is there a way to enlarge the cache for google maps to pre-download maps for those areas?

No, I don't think there's any way to do that.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

randyest posted:

Used, cheers.

Anyone got a link to the App? Can't find it in the Apple Store (UK).

NZP fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Antipop posted:

I haven't tried any (as I have Navigon for that, but it's not free), but googling "iOS offline maps" has a bunch of results:

http://galileo-app.com/
http://www.offmaps.com/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Go_Map!!
Lots of these say free and support offline:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

NZP posted:

Used, cheers.
Thanks -- I have plenty of space now so ya'll use the other guy's links mmkay?

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
Another link for extra storage for Copy cloud storage.

https://copy.com?r=nqNvTB

Seems like a nice addition to my cloud apps.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Here's a link if anyone wants to use the Copy app; I probably won't.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

randyest posted:

How does a word processor not support MLA format? Isn't that just how you set the margins, spacing, works cited, etc. ? Maybe I'm missing something but it seems like you'd be able to do that in any word processor or text editor.

Supposedly it doesn't support headers and footers.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NZP posted:

Used, cheers.

Anyone got a link to the App? Can't find it in the Apple Store (UK).
Here you go.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TinTower posted:

Here's a link if anyone wants to use the Copy app; I probably won't.
Why would you post your referral code if you won't use the app? Why not let someone who will use it get the 5GB bonus?

:confused:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

randyest posted:

Why would you post your referral code if you won't use the app? Why not let someone who will use it get the 5GB bonus?

:confused:

As far as I can tell, the 5GB is reciprocal, and I'm still on the fence about it. Gonna use it for a day or two, see if it's worth it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TinTower posted:

As far as I can tell, the 5GB is reciprocal, and I'm still on the fence about it. Gonna use it for a day or two, see if it's worth it.
Yes it is. The referrer and the referree get +5GB. You said you probably won't use the app. So why not let someone else get the 5GB referral bonus? Then maybe if you decide to use it you can got for referrals? I mean, it's fine; just seemed a little dickish.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does Copy offer that Dropbox doesn't?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does Copy offer that Dropbox doesn't?

More free space and a prettier app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the best app for watching various video files? cinexplayer? AV Player?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 3, 2013

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Xbmc but requires a jailbreak.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just pipe everything through Handbrake because :effort:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bobdigi posted:

Another link for extra storage for Copy cloud storage.

https://copy.com?r=nqNvTB

Seems like a nice addition to my cloud apps.

Used this code, made a Copy referral chain thread for us to poo poo up.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wow, Plex is fantastic.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

the kawaiiest posted:

More free space and a prettier app.

I have more space in my Dropbox than I can use right now, and the look and feel of the app is a non-issue for me because all I do is run the background syncing app on my computers, and occasionally dig into it on my iPhone. Are those the only two things Copy offers over Dropbox? No improvements in e.g., security and encryption? Dropbox also has the advantage of being around for a really loving long time, so I know they (probably) won't randomly shut down next year. Dropbox also has had tons of security issues in the past and I only use Dropbox reluctantly and not for Important Personal Files that I wouldn't want to be leaked somewhere. At least with Spideroak their niche is ultra–secured/encrypted backups and they gladly explain on their website what they're doing to make that true. Going to Copy's website just makes Safari ask if Copy.com can put desktop notifications on my computer.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
These are the guys who made Copy

https://www.barracudanetworks.com/?a=copywebsite

As for the rest, I have no idea. I just wanted a thing to dump my photos into and was running out of space on Dropbox. I never put anything important or private in these cloud storage apps.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the kawaiiest posted:

These are the guys who made Copy

https://www.barracudanetworks.com/?a=copywebsite

As for the rest, I have no idea. I just wanted a thing to dump my photos into and was running out of space on Dropbox. I never put anything important or private in these cloud storage apps.
I just encrypt sensitive stuff myself with TrueCrypt before saving to Dropbox or Copy. I e been meaning to set up a script to auto encrypt everything in "for the cloud" folder then copy it to Dropbox or Copy folder, but doing it manually isn't much hassle.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

webmeister posted:

Wow, Plex is fantastic.

I love it, but it buffers too much when it has to transcode. :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

randyest posted:

I just encrypt sensitive stuff myself with TrueCrypt before saving to Dropbox or Copy. I e been meaning to set up a script to auto encrypt everything in "for the cloud" folder then copy it to Dropbox or Copy folder, but doing it manually isn't much hassle.
For my work stuff I just have an encrypted sparse bundle image. Scared the image might get corrupted and destroy everything in it, but I do regular local backups of the files inside as well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

trilljester posted:

I love it, but it buffers too much when it has to transcode. :(

Yeah that's been my one issue with it so far - skipping to different points of a file is just way too slow. But as a price for accessing all my media outside of home, I'm happy to live with it.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Today's Google Maps update allegedly includes an update to allow you to search your iOS contacts, but I can't get it to work even after following all of the in-app instructions for syncing accounts through CardDAV and all that. Is this a widespread thing or am I an idiot and somehow managing to screw this up along the way?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BobTheCow posted:

Today's Google Maps update allegedly includes an update to allow you to search your iOS contacts, but I can't get it to work even after following all of the in-app instructions for syncing accounts through CardDAV and all that. Is this a widespread thing or am I an idiot and somehow managing to screw this up along the way?

It can't access iOS contacts:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03/google-maps-for-ios-can-now-use-your-contactsgoogle-contacts-that-is/

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Ugh, I must have misunderstood the description then. It seemed like I'd be able to import/sync my iOS contacts over to Google and use them that way.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'd like to be able to use my idevice as a wireless network file storage for small files that I use daily between machines that aren't specifically mine namely regular texts and my keepass file. I already carry around my idevices to these same places so I'd rather not have to carry around a usb key as well. Is there an app that can masquerade as a network place that I can access through windows explorer? This would let me automate a few things rather than manually launch and access a wifi web server that so many of these file management apps do.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

I'd like to be able to use my idevice as a wireless network file storage for small files that I use daily between machines that aren't specifically mine namely regular texts and my keepass file. I already carry around my idevices to these same places so I'd rather not have to carry around a usb key as well. Is there an app that can masquerade as a network place that I can access through windows explorer? This would let me automate a few things rather than manually launch and access a wifi web server that so many of these file management apps do.

Check out the ezShare* product line.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Christoff posted:

What's the best app for watching various video files? cinexplayer? AV Player?

ItsPlaying (network) and GPlayer (local) are decent, but ever since the AC3 debacle, they're all super inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Has anyone tried out the new Marvel Unlimited app? I've been waiting for an all you can eat comics app, but I'm not sure if this actually serves up all the comics day and date from comixology or if it's just a limited subset similar to the old browser based service they used to use.

• Locked thread