Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
I found poison spray more useful than explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I just created a team and put them online so if you guys ever see Tony Fist, Kevin Strong and Mike Furious around, that was me, and I can only apologize for your immersion.

edit - seems like the upload thing lets other people download your characters, so I have no idea if it's necessary to have people appear in other games. Go download Battlesquad today!

Thievery fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 2, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Downloading guarantees that that officer/team will be added to the pool of things that can show up in Empires mode (like your own created teams and CAWs). Otherwise it pulls down random online officers/teams for each playthrough. And then you can extract the data from your Empire mode save or directly after dwnloading them to add them to your own CAW menu.

The download menu shows a big list of uploaded CAWs that match set criteria, showing their PSN user name as well, and even lets you see how the character looks.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
After browsing through some CAWs on the download list, I went back to Edit Mode and changed my main dude out of his black wolf shirt, should have known that'd be overplayed :sigh:

While I'm at it, I have to say that I felt terribly disappointed that the wolf shirt did not look like this:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Personally like the Dark Armor chest piece the best for starting male equipment.

This armor (forgot the name) is actually my favorite male armor you can get through those bonus points.

Totally breaks immersion, but man is it cool looking. I know it's actually an old DLC from DW6:E, but I really like the style of it.

This is the look I'm going to stick with for my main caw. I really like the maiden armor, especially in green. It seems to match the rest of the game's style pretty well, while also looking unique and not-generic.

Here's hoping some goons run into my CAWs at some point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Here are the ones I've made so far. The last two were recently made tonight. I'm not entirely happy with Chen Zhi yet. I think she needs a bit more tweaking. I only upload the characters I've played through with. I don't know if their history gets uploaded as well, so I just make sure they have some just in case. I think the twinkly stars mean they have history, since Zhou Xin and Yi Na are the only two I've done a campaign with yet.

I try to keep them from being immersion breaking.

Zhou Xin

Yi Na

Yin Xian

Chen Zhi

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, the twinkly stars mean they have saved history. The annoying part is you can't edit the officer at all or the history gets deleted, which sucks.

I'm in the process of basically porting over all my created dudes from ROTK XI to empires, like I always do. Most of them aren't 'finished' yet though. Since it seems to be 'post your dudes' time I thought I'd share a few too, plus the historical officers I've modified.

Yuan Ke - My regular created Ruler

I wish you could take screenshots in battle because his stratagem face is hilarious. :stare:

Bao Bao - His chief Shitkicker

Chi Mou - Ke's rich buddy

Chi Long - Mou's brother, the sailor

Chi Yuan - uh... this guy

I'll link the historical dudes so this post isn't just image after image

Chen Gong, because Lu Bu needs a badass strategist
Lu Su
Yuan Shu
Yan Liang
Wen Chou

Sigh... I'm going to spend so much money on edit part DLC if Koei put out any decent one. We need more beards KOEI, stat!

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
What would be the best game to get, if one were craving some fresh musou action? I've got warriors orochi 3, but nothing more recent than that. I see the latest Fist of the North Star game came out, as did a new Empires game. Would either of those be worth my time, especially seeing as I lack the base DW7 to bolt onto Empires? Does the game still feel complete, or would I really need DW7 proper to make it worth my while?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yalborap posted:

What would be the best game to get, if one were craving some fresh musou action? I've got warriors orochi 3, but nothing more recent than that. I see the latest Fist of the North Star game came out, as did a new Empires game. Would either of those be worth my time, especially seeing as I lack the base DW7 to bolt onto Empires? Does the game still feel complete, or would I really need DW7 proper to make it worth my while?

You don't need DW7 for Empires. Do not buy Ken's Rage 2.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

You don't need DW7 for Empires. Do not buy Ken's Rage 2.

You make a firm and reasoned argument, good sir. Empires it is, then. Would it still be in my interest to acquire DW7 at some point in the future, or does Empires have everything?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yalborap posted:

You make a firm and reasoned argument, good sir. Empires it is, then. Would it still be in my interest to acquire DW7 at some point in the future, or does Empires have everything?

Empires is like a spinoff game, so it doesn't have everything. You would probably be good to get DW7 as its pretty cheap now though.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
If you want the story modes and such, then DW7 is worth getting at some point. It also has this new and separate conquest mode. It's a giant map of China where they have a mission for each province that you unlock bit by bit. I found that Conquest mode extended my normal gameplay by a good amount, so I'd say it's worth it if you can get it cheap.

Never got Xl, though. So no idea how good that is.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So far 8's story mode isn't nearly as good as 7's, but it's presented in more or less the same way, characters talking and stuff blending smoothly into action, which is still pretty awesome, especially when your characters are all charging forward on horses and suddenly you're given control of one of the characters.

The Jin story is as depressing as ever, as you mop up the sad remains of the other kingdoms.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

So far 8's story mode isn't nearly as good as 7's, but it's presented in more or less the same way, characters talking and stuff blending smoothly into action, which is still pretty awesome, especially when your characters are all charging forward on horses and suddenly you're given control of one of the characters.

The Jin story is as depressing as ever, as you mop up the sad remains of the other kingdoms.
Any specifics about what went wrong with the presentation this time around? i.e. does the allowing of multiple character choices for a given stage degrade its storytelling focus? Do they still have an inordinate bone to pick with Shu?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

Any specifics about what went wrong with the presentation this time around? i.e. does the allowing of multiple character choices for a given stage degrade its storytelling focus? Do they still have an inordinate bone to pick with Shu?
No, nothing like that, just visual and audio presentation, and writing of the explanatory voice overs. 7 felt like a really good documentary on TV, this one feels like an...okay documentary on TV.

Both are WAY better than 6's though.

edit: I guess Shu is treated a little better in their own story, but I haven't gotten far enough into Jin to see whether they really drag out their sad demise.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 3, 2013

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Yalborap posted:

Personally, I bought Ken's Rage 2 at full price and absolutely love the hell out of it. It's faster paced than the first one, Kenshiro actually mows down mooks like he's supposed to instead of beating them up slowly, and there's oodles of favorite Fist characters to unlock(as well as two modes to play through). While it's not a perfect game by any stretch(the first game did a couple of things better, but I REALLY didn't like how sluggish it played, though some people seem to like it more in that way, and I thought the QTEs were much more excessive on the bosses than in 2), I usually highly suggest it for fans of the Fist series.

However, I will say that if you aren't a huge fan of FotNS-for example, if it's just something you like-I'd suggest getting it on a price drop instead. It's definitely a game for die-hard fans like myself, but for people unfamiliar with the series I'd only suggest it full price if you really, really want to know about the series(since it takes you through the entire thing.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, nothing like that, just visual and audio presentation, and writing of the explanatory voice overs. 7 felt like a really good documentary on TV, this one feels like an...okay documentary on TV.

Both are WAY better than 6's though.

edit: I guess Shu is treated a little better in their own story, but I haven't gotten far enough into Jin to see whether they really drag out their sad demise.

Koei said that they were going to do more 'what if' stories. Have you seen any of those?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Azaael posted:

Personally, I bought Ken's Rage 2 at full price and absolutely love the hell out of it. It's faster paced than the first one, Kenshiro actually mows down mooks like he's supposed to instead of beating them up slowly, and there's oodles of favorite Fist characters to unlock(as well as two modes to play through). While it's not a perfect game by any stretch(the first game did a couple of things better, but I REALLY didn't like how sluggish it played, though some people seem to like it more in that way, and I thought the QTEs were much more excessive on the bosses than in 2), I usually highly suggest it for fans of the Fist series.

However, I will say that if you aren't a huge fan of FotNS-for example, if it's just something you like-I'd suggest getting it on a price drop instead. It's definitely a game for die-hard fans like myself, but for people unfamiliar with the series I'd only suggest it full price if you really, really want to know about the series(since it takes you through the entire thing.)

I'm the biggest FotNS fan there is and I think Ken's Rage 2 is pretty terrible. Legend Mode is brief snippets of game in between the story, if I wanted to read the manga again I'd read the manga and I'd rather a FotNS game be a game first and an accurate representation of the story second, not the other way around. And Dream Mode is a bunch of dull prequel stories played out on the exact same 'capture five bases and beat a boss' map. Everything is a step backwards from the first game other than 'Ken moves a bit quicker'.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

I actually wanted more mopping up of the other kingdoms in DW7. I get that the Sima family had to take and consolidate power within Wei to eventually form/become Jin, but I wanted to see the entire map turn blue at the end. Instead, you finally deal with Shu and then are told "oh yeah, and Wu eventually fell, too." There are 22 or so battles in Jin's story so they could've split them more evenly. Something like: the Simas' rise, dealing with Shu, then dealing with Wu and end showing the full map of China united or something.

Finally got to put some real time into Empires. I'm a little lost running around as a vagabond, but getting the hang of it. It's an adjustment moving from being a murder machine in 7 to significantly weaker in Empires (but still getting, like, 500 KOs in the first third of a battle). Any general starting tips? I already switched my Fame from Kind to Brave since that seems easier for a first run. I've formed a vagabond unit with Dian Wei and am currently trying to build up enough Intel to serve a kingdom with a ruler I like. This is in the Yellow Turban scenario.
I had a good run where I started becoming friends with Lu Bu and won a couple skirmishes and battles, but then I forgot to save :sigh: . I also went online and found someone to play with really quickly. We started out staying close, but eventually broke off and started racing to capture bases leading to the main enemy camp. I think he got the final kill to take over the base, but it was fun! Do you get any extras for playing online, or is it just a neat bonus?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From what I understand, Wu just basically surrendered when Jin approached with their massive army. The Sun's family greatness was front-loaded and it seemed like the descendants were just tyrannical pricks.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Static Rook posted:

Finally got to put some real time into Empires. I'm a little lost running around as a vagabond, but getting the hang of it. It's an adjustment moving from being a murder machine in 7 to significantly weaker in Empires (but still getting, like, 500 KOs in the first third of a battle). Any general starting tips? I already switched my Fame from Kind to Brave since that seems easier for a first run. I've formed a vagabond unit with Dian Wei and am currently trying to build up enough Intel to serve a kingdom with a ruler I like. This is in the Yellow Turban scenario.

Make sure you're using the Supports from the Politics menu, since those give you bits of experience for different fame types and resources every turn, which let's you get more stratagems. And make sure you're participating in defensive battles and Invasions when you can, since if you do good in those, the ruler of the kingdom you helps will sometimes send an officer to get you to join without having to pay out the rear end for membership.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I personally think the easiest way to play the game the first time is to just found your own kingdom ASAP. Things are quite a bit easier when you don't have to worry about what the ruler wants to do or whatever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Being able to just hold down L2 to automatically jump on your horse is the single best thing to happen to this series in forever. :swoon:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

Being able to just hold down L2 to automatically jump on your horse is the single best thing to happen to this series in forever. :swoon:
Wait is that in 7E or was it introduced in 8? Either way yeah, it's a huge boon, especially since you can't jump on your horse normally with x unless everything is EXACTLY right, you're not being attacked, you jumped straight up, you're in exactly the right position relative to the horse, and so on.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait is that in 7E or was it introduced in 8? Either way yeah, it's a huge boon, especially since you can't jump on your horse normally with x unless everything is EXACTLY right, you're not being attacked, you jumped straight up, you're in exactly the right position relative to the horse, and so on.

No it's just in 8. I...I've made poor purchasing decisions. :retrogames:

e: I like how all of enemies shoot out sparks when you hit them now. Everyone knows that ancient China was populated by robots right?

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

No it's just in 8. I...I've made poor purchasing decisions. :retrogames:
Welcome to the club. To afford 8 I sold both Metal Gear Rising (which was great but way shorter than I expected, maybe I will buy a deluxe edition later with all the DLC and everything), and my PSP, which just sits in my closet unless I have an airplane trip or something anyway. All for a game that is nearly identical to four other games I have played. I think I started playing DW with 4, anyway. And that's not even counting Orochi/Samurai.

tooooooo bad posted:

e: I like how all of enemies shoot out sparks when you hit them now. Everyone knows that ancient China was populated by robots right?
They just discovered colored lighting. Remember the first Unreal game and others of that vintage, where there were just blue and purple and orange lights everywhere, just because they could? Omega Force is going through that stage now. Next they'll discover detail textures. It's gonna look so sweet on my Pentium 2 450.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 4, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
How long after the JP release of a Warriors game does the NA version usually come out? Three months or so?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In 7E, is there some way to choose who you fight a battle as? I'm doing a gathering of heroes, and used a CAW team. Am I stuck only playing as my ruler, or can I pick another person to play as during battles?

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah, as a ruler or Marshall you can choose who you fight as in battles. On the screen where your choosing who's in your army for a battle, press x on your ruler and you'll be able to replace 'em with someone else.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

You can choose another officer to play as on the battle preparation screen. As far as I know, you cannot change during the battle itself.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hahaha, I must have tried every button press except that one, thanks guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Hahaha, I must have tried every button press except that one, thanks guys.
Yeah I've had that happen before. I'm like "I've pressed the triangle, square, circle, L1-L3, R1-R3, select and start, why does no button do it!?"

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

For some reason you can only do skirmishes as your main guy though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

For some reason you can only do skirmishes as your main guy though.

And only single player, sorry bro you gotta sit this out :(

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Jimbot posted:

From what I understand, Wu just basically surrendered when Jin approached with their massive army. The Sun's family greatness was front-loaded and it seemed like the descendants were just tyrannical pricks.
Historically the Sun family greatness was frontloaded even within Quan personally -- specifically, it ran out not too long after where DW7's story cuts off after Yiling and Dongkou (222) after which Sun Quan started making some bad calls militarily (with the exception of Lianshi's DW7XL Hero Scenario featuring Zhou Fang's faked defection at Shiting in 228). About a decade after he declared himself emperor in 229, his crown prince died in 241 about which time Sun Quan's mental health had started to go; the succession crisis (Sun Quan had three remaining sons) led to Lu Xun's dismissal and death in 245, then the forced suicide of one son, the exile of another and naming the youngest son successor in 250; Sun Quan ended up picking Zhuge Ke as regent against his own (justified) misgivings) in 251 before passing away in 252.

By this time it was already downhill for Wu, which combined with the novel's own Shu focus (the last chapter features an almost ten-year time skip about a third of the way through!) probably explains how cursory DW7 is about things after the fall of Shu.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I played as my strategist once. I wasn't able to give orders and I don't think I was able to use stratagems. Maybe someone could clarify the finer points of the ruler/marshal/strategist/prefect dynamic. I've only been playing as a ruler, so I have no idea if appointing people to those positions even does anything.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

As a strategist you can't give orders, no, but you should definitely be able to use stratagems provided you equipped them.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Marshals can give orders, strategists get extra slots for stratagems, prefects are able to secede.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Marshals can also pick which officers participate in invasions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Does anyone know if DW7 Xtreme legends was released in Australia? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on shop websites, or was it a PS store thing?

I'm slightly bored of Empires and I missed DW7 when it came out, and I miss the storytelling aspect. Is XL worth hunting down or is DW7 worth it alone?