Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midee
Jun 22, 2000

I don't even want to know what his desktop looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Does Chrome not have an option to "save tabs" on close? Because you could just close the browser when you wanted to play games without melting down your PC. I mean, I know clicking on an X and then actually having to double click on an icon when you want to open the browser again is way more effort than, uh, breathing, I guess. But yeah, there's that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I scanned the last couple of pages and all I saw was an argument. I'm curious about this dumb thing. Is there anywhere I can see a list of people planning to release games for it in the next year or two?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

XboxPants posted:

Also I do at least have the tabs organized into a few different windows, it's not one massive mess.

It's not about how you organize them, having a web browser take up over a gig of RAM and several dozen processes running for extremely long periods of time with several hundred megs a piece is hideously unstable. Your Chrome isn't crashing just because "it happens", its happening because of how much poo poo you have running on your computer. Several hundred running threads will not run properly JUST because they can fit into RAM. Your computer is violently choking on the myriad of instructions you give it and you're too dumb to realize its not designed to be used the way you're using it. You don't need an OUYA, you need to learn how to use your computer.

And honestly, if you're the key demographic for the GOOBLE, understand that where this worries me is instead of that mentality being from a user standpoint, people are probably going to be writing code for this thing that's uglier than your task manager. No amount of running by itself is going to make lovely code any more stable.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Here, allow me to solve this tab problem.

Right here.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I scanned the last couple of pages and all I saw was an argument. I'm curious about this dumb thing. Is there anywhere I can see a list of people planning to release games for it in the next year or two?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ouya_software

Was Boxer8 a codename for the ouya, or something? I'm failing to see a relation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Was Boxer8 a codename for the ouya, or something? I'm failing to see a relation.

I think that's their company name.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hahahah, "or two." SNOWJOB is planning to release the next console in a year.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Hahahah, "or two." SNOWJOB is planning to release the next console in a year.

Makes sense, that's probably the only way to make this thing work.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Thanks. Obviously I'm not jumping up to preorder it but that's a better list than I expected.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dewgy posted:

It's not about how you organize them, having a web browser take up over a gig of RAM and several dozen processes running for extremely long periods of time with several hundred megs a piece is hideously unstable. Your Chrome isn't crashing just because "it happens", its happening because of how much poo poo you have running on your computer. Several hundred running threads will not run properly JUST because they can fit into RAM. Your computer is violently choking on the myriad of instructions you give it and you're too dumb to realize its not designed to be used the way you're using it.

Nah, I realize that I'm overloading Chrome, but it works well for me. Like, some of the things that I have open I could have dedicated apps for. But, for me, my workflow feels cleaner if it's all in the same environment.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Does Chrome not have an option to "save tabs" on close? Because you could just close the browser when you wanted to play games without melting down your PC. I mean, I know clicking on an X and then actually having to double click on an icon when you want to open the browser again is way more effort than, uh, breathing, I guess. But yeah, there's that.

It only saves the tab from the last window closed, so that's not an ideal solution, first I gotta combine the windows first. Luckily I recently realized you can select multiple tabs with shift/ctrl, so that makes that a lot simpler. But even so it's not that big a deal and I do actually do that if I'm playing a demanding game. It would just be an improvement if I didn't do it.

Everyone that thinks individual minor annoyances aren't an important aspect of user experience doesn't understand user experience. Sometimes the little things are incredibly important.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

XboxPants posted:

Nah, I realize that I'm overloading Chrome, but it works well for me.

Except for how it makes your computer run like poo poo and crash, you loving moron.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wait, what? The save tabs on close option for Chrome just lets you resume everything as is the next time you start up Chrome. Unless you're talking about having multiple instances of Chrome open, each with their own multiple tabs, in which case :psyduck:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I have Firefox open with like 50 tabs and its only using 400 megabytes of ram so I advise you to switch to Firefox, XboxPants. :)

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

XboxPants posted:

It only saves the tab from the last window closed, so that's not an ideal solution, first I gotta combine the windows first. Luckily I recently realized you can select multiple tabs with shift/ctrl, so that makes that a lot simpler. But even so it's not that big a deal and I do actually do that if I'm playing a demanding game. It would just be an improvement if I didn't do it.

Everyone that thinks individual minor annoyances aren't an important aspect of user experience doesn't understand user experience. Sometimes the little things are incredibly important.
"I compute like a complete retard, thus you don't understand user experience." Got it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

XboxPants posted:

But even so it's not that big a deal and I do actually do that if I'm playing a demanding game.

But didn't you cite this exact reason as why Ouya would be a better gaming console that a PC hooked up to a TV? If you knew how to alleviate it, why did you cite it in the first place?

:psyduck:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Except for how it makes your computer run like poo poo and crash, you loving moron.

Calm down, dude. I mentioned Chrome crashing but I never said it happens often. Doesn't make really cause performance problems either, unless I'm playing a demanding game, which I don't do very often. It kind of doesn't matter if it's a stupid way of using the computer - if it works, it works.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

But didn't you cite this exact reason as why Ouya would be a better gaming console that a PC hooked up to a TV? If you knew how to alleviate it, why did you cite it in the first place?

:psyduck:

Because while I currently have a working solution to the problem, an OUYA-type console, if it worked, would remove the problem entirely.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Srice posted:

Wait, what? The save tabs on close option for Chrome just lets you resume everything as is the next time you start up Chrome. Unless you're talking about having multiple instances of Chrome open, each with their own multiple tabs, in which case :psyduck:

Yes, that's what he's talking about when he's saying multiple windows.

And it's pretty obvious that he knows how to solve the problem, he just doesn't want to. That's why the OUACHAKACHAKACHAKA will make his life worth living. Somehow.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Guys my PC becomes pretty unstable when showered in human blood. Would an OTTERPOP be a better fit for my kill room?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yes, that's what he's talking about when he's saying multiple windows.

And it's pretty obvious that he knows how to solve the problem, he just doesn't want to. That's why the OUACHAKACHAKACHAKA will make his life worth living. Somehow.

Yup. I think of the OUYA as nothing more than a minor convenience item. I didn't mind spending $50 for that.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Guys my PC becomes pretty unstable when showered in human blood. Would an OTTERPOP be a better fit for my kill room?

Finally, a situation where the lack of proper ventilation will come in handy?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

XboxPants posted:

Because while I currently have a working solution to the problem, an OUYA-type console, if it worked, would remove the problem entirely.

Not having an awful workflow would have saved you $200, if not more.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

If he fixed it, then what reason would he have to justify dropping 100+ american dollars on the UGANDA, huh?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

XboxPants posted:

I think of the OUYA as nothing more than a minor convenience item.

Your entire reputation amongst over a hundred people has become "the guy who, day after day, every day, forever, will not listen to logic and defends the Ouya on a private forum". It's a little bit more than a minor convenience for you, or else you'd have just said "Whatever, gently caress it, I like this thing and can't wait to play it" a long time ago.

Oh my God can we get this quote framed and added to the OP?

gay skull fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 4, 2013

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

XboxPants posted:

It kind of doesn't matter if it's a stupid way of using the computer

XboxPants, you need to decide whether you want to defend the ORANGUTANG like a cultist or convince us you're not balls-to-the-wall stupid about using a PC, because right now you're trying to do both and failing horribly.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
You people just don't understand! Using a PC is just so inconvenient and complex.

Like, when I want to use it I have to hook in my mouse and my keyboard and my headphones, but there's, like, four different slots to put them in. Do I just put them in any slot, and what do I even do with that fourth slot? And then when I turn it on, it just takes forever to start up. Then there are these two buttons to press, but when I press the one for my account it asks me to type in my password. Like, can't it just do that automatically for me? And then it brings up my desktop and there's all these different icons for stuff, and if I click an icon once, it does nothing. I have to click it twice to make it work.

Ugh, using a PC makes me want to punch a hole in a monitor. I just can't wait for the Ouya to solve all these inconvenient problems and provide me with a better user experience!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

But for what you want a cheap laptop or any other game console that's not a OUYA would also remove that problem entirely, hit all the things you want it to do, and have a library of decent games.

What I'm saying is: Stop. Just stop. Stop defending the OUYA, man. It was a bad decision. All your justifications for buying it are getting more and more ridiculous and it's just sad at this point. It's fine. We all make bad choices with money occasionally.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

XboxPants posted:

Yup. I think of the OUYA as nothing more than a minor convenience item. I didn't mind spending $50 for that.

Oh yeah, definetely. A minor inconvenience repeated a thousand times is eventually worth a few bucks; that being said isn't the HOOAH $99? And didn't you buy some sort of special edition for twice that?

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
I want an XboxPants simulator as a launch game for the Ouya

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

CousinKevin posted:

I want an XboxPants simulator as a launch game for the Ouya

Fear not, the Ouya will provide an unstable and obtuse user experience by default.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But for what you want a cheap laptop or any other game console that's not a OUYA would also remove that problem entirely, hit all the things you want it to do, and have a library of decent games.

What I'm saying is: Stop. Just stop. Stop defending the OUYA, man. It was a bad decision. All your justifications for buying it are getting more and more ridiculous and it's just sad at this point. It's fine. We all make bad choices with money occasionally.

This man is correct. The Ouya doesn't solve your problems, it has nothing to offer. You can't say "I think I'll play Dark Souls. Let's just switch over to my Ouya and launch Dark Souls" because the game doesn't exist for that platform. Most games don't exist for the Ouya. You're getting a tiny game library that's seriously lacking in people giving a poo poo.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Twenty nine tabs? Try not to open up any tabs on the way to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpQqH4H_SUQ

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

Your entire reputation amongst over a hundred people has become "the guy who, day after day, every day, forever, will not listen to logic and defends the Ouya on a private forum". It's a little bit more than a minor convenience for you, or else you'd have just said "Whatever, gently caress it, I like this thing and can't wait to play it" a long time ago.

Why would I have stopped? I like talking about things on the internet (or not on the internet). I've had discussions spanning multiple days about abstract concepts that I cared about far less than OUYA.

edit: Actually, the fact that it's not massively important has probably helped keep me here. If I went onto the politics threads or something, maybe I would eventually get bothered enough by what people were saying to leave the thread. (clearly, I did eventually get upset in the last thread, but that was really more due to the tone than it was due to being upset that OUYA)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 4, 2013

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

What happens when you start running your UH,YA? like a maniac and it starts getting screwed up? Do you just buy the UH,YA?-2 for another hundred and be like, 'what, what's up, now I have two'? Because you seem to have insane solutions to problems with solutions like, 'don't do that'.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

caldrax posted:

Yo, dude, you need 2 tabs for Google Docs: one for your list of documents, one for the document you're currently adding stuff to.
Hell, I feel like I have too many tabs open if I can't comfortably shortcut-toggle between them with one hand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XboxPants posted:

Alright, I was being obtuse there. Normally I would understand that he just made a poorly-thought out analogy-joke that didn't actually make sense. Which, I mean, it's an internet message board, no big deal, I'm sure I've made poorly thought out jokes online too. And in real life. That's not something I'd hold against him or anything.

If I didn't know better I swear you were loving with me right now. I don't understand how you sperg out on sentence fragments while missing / wilfully ignoring the larger point. It's seriously maddening.

(If you really, seriously didn't understand, the "driving your car off a cliff" metaphor was in response to you listing your big, retarded list of self-inflicted problems as things the Ouya would solve. The most poorly-thought out things in this thread are your posts.)

Now look at this dumb loving list you made, and ignore everything I wrote above so I don't have to read another goddamned stupid reply focusing on how you misinterpreted something there, because I'm going to run through it for you. I'll leave out the ones that you've already been thoroughly mocked for.

quote:

- Chrome is crashing because (x) and it chose to do so while I'm trying to not lose, and now it's making the game chug up like crazy

Chrome is available on Android, and may at least be able to be sideloaded onto an Ouya since it runs Android 4.0. If you open up a billion loving Chrome tabs on an Ouya and try to play a game, what makes you think that will be any different?

quote:

I left my game running and Windows downloaded an update and force-rebooted, loving me

1) This is your own fault, since my four year old knows how to turn that setting off and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're at least on his level.

2) By default, I believe at worst Windows will give you a 15-minute countdown timer to when it restarts automatically, so in order for it to do otherwise you would explicitly have to do that

quote:

Someone's Skyping me when I'm trying to play a game in fullscreen

This will happen if you install Skype on Android too. Much like Chrome, it is your own choice and your own fault if you decide to install it and/or leave yourself logged in while you're playing games. Much like Chrome, this is not a problem the Ouya will solve.

quote:

I'm playing a game while running my Minecraft server because I'm not gonna turn it off every time I wanna play a game, and suddenly god knows what is happening on it, but it's making the game I'm playing play like poo poo

Your own drat fault, also you probably won't be able to run a Minecraft server off your Ouya so it's completely irrelevant.

quote:

My computer is doing something intensive - virus scan, video rendering, whatever - and I should probably wait until that's done to play a game on it

Your own drat fault, also you could pause / cancel those things at any time, also the Ouya will probably be unable to render video for you so it's completely irrelevant

quote:

My display settings are set to output only to the monitor because (x), so now I have to fix that first

I don't even understand this, what else would your display settings be set to output to

quote:

The PC audio settings aren't set up right because (x) - most likely muted

Your own drat fault, also how would this be different from if you muted the system volume on your Ouya.

...So considering that all your problems are things that would not be solved or would not be applicable to the Ouya, is your impetus for defending it so hard that it saves you from your own crippling incompetence?

XboxPants posted:

I'll take this as a "yes."

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 4, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think the logic of "I need a $200 console to help simplify my workflow" is similar to "please ban me I can't stop using SA". You wouldn't have to spend the money if you just changed your terrible habits a little.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Since you love chrome so much, I found the perfect device for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215914

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dewgy posted:

I think the logic of "I need a $200 console to help simplify my workflow" is similar to "please ban me I can't stop using SA". You wouldn't have to spend the money if you just changed your terrible habits a little.

Hey, be fair. His OH,UH was only a solid hundo, the extra is from the two other controllers he got. (lol)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Since you love chrome so much, I found the perfect device for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215914

Actually, I have a Chromebook and I like it a lot. You don't have to worry about that being a bad investment, though; Google sent me that one for free.

raditts posted:

This is your own fault, since my four year old knows how to turn [windows update auto-rebooting] off and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're at least on his level.

This one I have to give you, and to everyone else that pointed it out. Yes, I didn't realize there was a simple setting for this. I never took it upon myself to check if there was a setting I could change for that, and Windows sure doesn't make any effort to let you know if you don't look into it.

I don't feel like the rest of your responses work, though.

raditts posted:

I don't even understand this, what else would your display settings be set to output to

It could be set to only output to the computer monitor. There are programs that, for whatever reason, might not behave the way you want them to if you have dual monitors turned on. So, you turn it off. Win+P, pretty easy to switch between them.

There are various other settings, too. Sometimes if you want to see a game or video in full screen, it will only display on the monitor that has been set as the "primary" one. So if there's a game that I'm playing on the computer monitor, I may set the primary display to that screen. Then if I try to play it on the TV, it's still going to just display on the primary monitor, gotta fix that setting first.

raditts posted:

Your own drat fault, also how would this be different from if you muted the system volume on your Ouya.

This issue has kind of been beaten to death but basically the difference is that I can unmute it with the gamepad without needing an additional input device.

raditts posted:

Chrome is available on Android, and may at least be able to be sideloaded onto an Ouya since it runs Android 4.0. If you open up a billion loving Chrome tabs on an Ouya and try to play a game, what makes you think that will be any different?

This will happen if you install Skype on Android too. Much like Chrome, it is your own choice and your own fault if you decide to install it and/or leave yourself logged in while you're playing games. Much like Chrome, this is not a problem the Ouya will solve.

Your own drat fault, also you probably won't be able to run a Minecraft server off your Ouya so it's completely irrelevant.

Your own drat fault, also you could pause / cancel those things at any time, also the Ouya will probably be unable to render video for you so it's completely irrelevant

The point I was trying to make with all of these is that while I'm using the PC for lots of things, I'll only use the OUYA for gaming. So the gaming can't interfere with the other stuff, and the other stuff can't interfere with the gaming.

If I can't run a Minecraft server or render video on the OUYA, that's not irrelevent; that's the entire point of what I was saying. The OUYA can't, and thus won't, be doing all the things that my computer does that might conflict with the games. I could run Skype or Chrome on the OUYA. But the whole point of what I'm saying is that I'm only going to run games on it. So I won't do that. So the OUYA - or any dedicated gaming machine - would solve that problem.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

XboxPants posted:

So the OUYA - or any dedicated gaming machine - would solve that problem.

So why not just get an Xbox, pants? A used one should cost right around $100 these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Xboxpants, please be sure to do an unboxing video when your YOUA arrives. Use one of your 47 chrome tabs to figure out how to capture video with your chromebook.

• Locked thread