Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Splizwarf posted:

I have no idea what this refers to. I'm just talking about the login stamps for playing the game on more than one day.

You can like the Battle Cats facebook page for more cat food or something. Also you can install random Tapjoy apps for food as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

illicitporpoises posted:

What if there was a cool down period between dungeons in KoPP that you could bypass with a dollar or two?

What if there was a mechanic where you had to wait real-world time to upgrade your characters' gear? (hint: there is)

I lost all my progress near the end of the game and it's really loving annoying that you have to unlock so many of the classes, too.

Geektox posted:

Anyone have tips on KoPP? I'm not sure how beneficial any of the equipment is so I've been spending my money on upgrading the game room instead.

That's what I'd recommend doing first. Buy the table that gives +4% critical chance, the Crown and the Grail, the book of your choosing, the thing that reduces Blacksmith cost, the pet that reduces Blacksmith time (only because all the other pets are useless), the Rug that gives you extra gold, and either Doc Brown or Splinter for your DM.

Then once you've done all that and unlocked the good classes, start a new game.

I never bought anything in the shop for a very long time because you gain levels so fast for most of the game so you'll always be saying "poo poo, I could have waiting and got a much better item than what I bought 5 minutes ago".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

precision posted:

I lost all my progress near the end of the game

Use Titanium Backup and set it to nightly backups. Then restore from yesterday next time.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Splizwarf posted:

I have no idea what this refers to. I'm just talking about the login stamps for playing the game on more than one day.

Well, I blew the first injection of catfood on speed ups, and the second one only gave me 30? food. I just logged in and got 30 so I can buy Ninja Cat, but still.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I absolutely adore Hero Academy on the PC, and wondered if there were any hot seat turn based strategy games in a similar vein for Android?

Robot have promised an Android port is in the works, but they haven't updated the progress on that since December. drat it. Would love to find something to scratch that itch though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

precision posted:

I lost all my progress near the end of the game and it's really loving annoying that you have to unlock so many of the classes, too.
How do you lose all your progress? Wipe and not have the gold to rez any of your characters?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Geektox posted:

You can like the Battle Cats facebook page for more cat food or something. Also you can install random Tapjoy apps for food as well.

Wait what? There's a Facebook cat food thing???

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

andrew smash posted:

How do you lose all your progress? Wipe and not have the gold to rez any of your characters?

:ssh: I got a new phone.

edit: And didn't back anything up, obviously.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

tater_salad posted:

I took my TV back as soon as I saw the cost of optional cable subscription.

The IAP isn't needed a all to enjoy the game, but kudos to you for missing out on fun.

Subscription TV and iap are not even remotely the same kind of thing and you know it.

I would rather play games the developers designed to be fun rather than games that are designed to make me buy things continue to play. Freemium game designers have an incentive to put up walls or otherwise impede game play rather than balance a game properly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
All I can say is that Real Racing 3 has been a lot of fun. It looks great and the cars handle pretty well. It has a similar progression to Gran Turismo where you need to beat certain races to unlock later ones. The cash payouts (used to buy anything in the game) are consistent with other sim racers. The microtransaction currency is only used for speeding up time. So far, they impose a time wait for a few different things. The first is servicing your car, which, depending on the service being performed can take between 5-20 minutes. They also have you wait for upgrades (1st upgrades were 2 minutes, then I think 5, and up from there). The last thing you wait for is new car delivery. I think my second car took 20 minutes or so. As far as car delivery goes, I could still drive my other car while waiting for it to arrive. I'm not sure if it works the same way for servicing a car (i.e. using your other car while the first is awaiting service/upgrades). If you can juggle cars, there would hypothetically be a point where you have 3 or 4 cars and can just hop around in different rides to avoid any actual wait.

This is a business model that is extremely effective and isn't going anywhere. People seem to be looking at this one as the worst of the worst. I think the problem is really that the game is REALLY good. Because it's so good, people are judging the pay-structure harshly. The pay model is comparitively reasonable when compared to other games using the same model. I know people would poo poo bricks if the next Halo only let you play 3 rounds of multiplayer then made you wait an hour or pay $2, but if it was free to begin with, I think those people would be assholes.

If you are the kind of person who plays their mobile games for 10-20 minutes at a time a few times a day, it's probably the best racer on the platfrom. End of story.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a good reason why MicroVentures needs all of those permissions?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So, how is Star Command coming along?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Subscription TV and iap are not even remotely the same kind of thing and you know it.

I would rather play games the developers designed to be fun rather than games that are designed to make me buy things continue to play. Freemium game designers have an incentive to put up walls or otherwise impede game play rather than balance a game properly.
Right, you also have to buy the TV and you also see ads when you pay.

IAP when done right woks well, Battle cats has never required that I paid to enjoy it I didn't like it enough to pay but play occasionally
Major mayhem is a great game so I tossed the dev a few bux because it was stupid fun.

There are games that are pretty much unplayable without IAP, or even pay games that are unplayable without IAP and that is unacceptable.

The problem is that consumers have forced a race to the bottom for price, and also made IAP like printing money.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

Probably working on another Kickstarter so they can port the game to toasters.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lowen SoDium posted:

I took my TV back as soon as I saw the cost of Pay-Per-View shows.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I have a tv and i only use it to play games. ( My internet + cellphone bill cost me more then a $100, I am a huge hypocrite!)

edit: I prefer to pay $15 dollar up front to get some game then pay $1 for each feature.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Am I misremembering, or didn't a Final Fantasy Tactics game come out for android for like 15 bucks?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Flying Milton posted:

Probably working on another Kickstarter so they can port the game to toasters.

They actually nixed that idea since they'd need at least 6 slots, and most typical brands were between 2 and 4.

butt baby
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Am I misremembering, or didn't a Final Fantasy Tactics game come out for android for like 15 bucks?

Only the Japanese port so far.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

coyo7e posted:

In Japan. It'll be released in the US/etc eventually. It's been out about half a month, so hopefully not terribly longer. Other than that the most recent release was Final Fantasy Dimensions, which is a 3-6ish era game, not a Tactics style.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DemonMage posted:

In Japan. It'll be released in the US/etc eventually. It's been out about half a month, so hopefully not terribly longer. Other than that the most recent release was Final Fantasy Dimensions, which is a 3-6ish era game, not a Tactics style.

Thanks for clarifying, I am dying for it. Also Hero Academy Android, so I can quit forgetting to log in to steam..

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine playing tactics without a controller though. The onscreen controls are really not good enough for most types of games in my opinion.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

I can't imagine playing tactics without a controller though. The onscreen controls are really not good enough for most types of games in my opinion.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the iOS port (and subsequently Android) have been modified to take into account a touch interface.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a good reason why MicroVentures needs all of those permissions?

A lot of games say they "need" those permission but never do anything with them. It's probably just laziness with how they put it on the Play Store, I think. Like, if a dev doesn't specify permissions it defaults to "all the permissions" or something.

It's certainly not anything weird or malicious, I've had that on my phone for a while now and it's not doing anything odd.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

precision posted:

Like, if a dev doesn't specify permissions it defaults to "all the permissions" or something.

Absolutely not. Some get added automatically but only if the application is targeting an old API level before the permission was added.
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/security/permissions.html#permissions

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The store doesn't default to 'all permissions' but it seems like some developers do.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kharmakazy posted:

It's a turn-based game on a grid with menus. Touch screen controls suck for most types of games, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a perfect fit for this type of game.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

The idea that micro transactions are a recipe for success is a misnomer. If you look at two of the biggest proponents, EA and Zynga, you'll note that they're basically famous for not being able to make money. Even in the mobile space there are a handful of companies sitting on all of the money, and adding in IAP in to your game isn't going to save you. You've got an entire industry faking it until they make it, but the make it isn't coming.

There's nothing inherently wrong with micro transactions, but the way they're being handled right now is sloppy and anti-consumer. Someone's going to hit the right notes and probably make a lot of money.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Star what now?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sethsez posted:

It's a turn-based game on a grid with menus. Touch screen controls suck for most types of games, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a perfect fit for this type of game.
I had a tactics game on an older iPod and they had changed the controls a lot and it worked fairly well for its limitations. I also got the Android version of FF3 and it's really well done for touch interface. So I have pretty high hopes that it will be a good UI.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

WMain00 posted:

Star what now?

Star Forever

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Check their Facebook page. It's hilarious.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

It isn't.

Its the Duke Nukem Forever of the mobile gaming world.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I honestly have no idea what Star Command is or why I should care about it. Check your star privilege.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Keito posted:

I honestly have no idea what Star Command is or why I should care about it. Check your star privilege.

Its a proffesional kickstarter team that use their 'star' power to 'command' suckers into supporting them. Its like a Nigeria scam, but for bitcoins.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I think they just are overwhelmed and have poor management skill.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a consensus on a best PSX emulator?

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

SpitefulHammer posted:

It isn't.

Its the Duke Nukem Forever of the mobile gaming world.

kickStarter Command

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Is there a consensus on a best PSX emulator?
I use ePSXe and it works great, but FPSe is supposed to be excellent as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

illicitporpoises posted:

The idea that micro transactions are a recipe for success is a misnomer. If you look at two of the biggest proponents, EA and Zynga, you'll note that they're basically famous for not being able to make money. Even in the mobile space there are a handful of companies sitting on all of the money, and adding in IAP in to your game isn't going to save you. You've got an entire industry faking it until they make it, but the make it isn't coming.

There's nothing inherently wrong with micro transactions, but the way they're being handled right now is sloppy and anti-consumer. Someone's going to hit the right notes and probably make a lot of money.

Riot! is basically rolling in money from League of Legends micro transactions. I think the general model of making a really solid fun game that is free and then adding "MORE FUN" that you pay for is attractive to people. Putting in a boring part of the game just for someone to pay to skip it is not fun.

• Locked thread