Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

ahmeni posted:

does it even have apps?? or is it just preloaded with Netflix or something

like I want an Apple TV but I have no idea what it does or what content I can access outside of the states. our Netflix is terrible. like worse than Canadian Netflix
hmm good point.i want to see all the posters in this thread shot in the face with high powered assualt rifles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The XKCD Larper posted:

hmm good point.i want to see all the posters in this thread shot in the face with high powered mpeg artifacts

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

so apparently if you connect something via hdmi the nvidia software will determine weather or not it's a tv by its support of hdmi audio and welp enjoy your forced 16-235
theres a workaround with setting a custom res but still lol

tbf this probablly fixes more issues then it causes

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what am I saying? They should do an EDID handshake and GARRAR THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY!!!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the apple tv supports tons of iphone/ipad apps beaming your pirated mkvs to it if thats what you guys were wondering

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

smdh if ur not transcoding ur Linux isos into mp4 so they play directly on the appletv

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Gentoo posted:

the apple tv:
1) plays (some of) your content from itunes
2) has support for a few online streaming services for video and music

here's a list of the services

iTunes Store (Content must be streamed live or downloaded via iTunes onto a device with storage capability [personal computer, iPhone, iPad, etc.])
Flickr and iCloud photo slide shows
Netflix
Hulu Plus
YouTube and Vimeo
Rotten Tomatoes reviews can be browsed for rented/purchased content
NBA TV and MLB.tv allow access to league scores, statistics, and their accompanying subscription services.

so i think in australia you'd just get itunes store, flickr and icloud slide shows, youtube and vimeo.

appletv youtube is useless
any content with ads on it is silently deleted from search results

i.e. any youtube content worth watching at all

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

appletv youtube is useless
any content with ads on it is silently deleted from search results

i.e. any youtube content worth watching at all

lol last time i used an apple tv it still handled videos with ads. nice to know they made it worse

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

tbf this probablly fixes more issues then it causes

im just glad i could fix it but goddamn everything is a fuckin' mess for colour management through nvidia
i did some banding tests and it looks okay but shits gonna probably be a bit off until i get a proper color meter

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
oh and suprise suprise here we are in tyool 2013 and dual screen setups on windows still kind of suck

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

im just glad i could fix it but goddamn everything is a fuckin' mess for colour management through nvidia
i did some banding tests and it looks okay but shits gonna probably be a bit off until i get a proper color meter

when you go to TV levels, it stops being 8-BPC and of course banding gets worse.

herpa derp derp.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
im immune to color banding affecting my enjoyment of things because i started pirating videos on computers with a 256 color display so it was inevitable

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

The XKCD Larper posted:

hmm good point.i want to see all the posters in this thread shot in the face with high powered assualt rifles

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Install Gentoo posted:

im immune to color banding affecting my enjoyment of things because i started pirating videos on computers with a 256 color display so it was inevitable

even bill gates.avi has proper dithering

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

What's color banding

Is it like livestrong

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

even bill gates.avi has proper dithering

16 and 24 bit color videos being played back on a 256 color screen

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

What's color banding

Is it like livestrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if your monitor sucks it could band on both sides.

6-bpc tn panel having MOTHAFUCKA!

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
this a good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx11oNHPDrA

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm legitimately surprised that none of my friends have access to a goddamn colorimeter to use for like an hour so I can have some semblance of color matching on my laptop screen to my external Korea-screen, because the colors supplied in built-in profiles are either unsaturated, or the blacks are washed out n stuff

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

gently caress i notice this all the time on netflix. didn't know it had a name but it's p annoying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

slogsdon posted:

didn't know it had a name but it's p annoying

shameful that you didn't know this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

if your monitor sucks it could band on both sides.

6-bpc tn panel having MOTHAFUCKA!

my poo poo monitor isn't banding but my u2410 is :psyduck:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so yeah mkv etc is a container for codecs and h264 is a codec but can h264 exist without a 'tainer

like does .h264 exist and is it just video? and does that poo poo need large headers or something? and what is stopping it being used like a gif? like are the headers etc so big that small 5 second 200x300 h264 "vids" like huge as gently caress or what
and can someone make a plugin so we can play these in yospos? and how am i going to make these files?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Moist von Lipwig posted:

my poo poo monitor isn't banding but my u2410 is :psyduck:

it's supposed to band on the right side.

shouldn't on the left

satin666
Jun 7, 2006

oh EuCK!!!! MOTHER FUCKerhttp://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16081776&postcount=47 ahaah :puke

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

so yeah mkv etc is a container for codecs and h264 is a codec but can h264 exist without a 'tainer

like does .h264 exist and is it just video? and does that poo poo need large headers or something? and what is stopping it being used like a gif? like are the headers etc so big that small 5 second 200x300 h264 "vids" like huge as gently caress or what
and can someone make a plugin so we can play these in yospos? and how am i going to make these files?

woah, slow down there hoss.

you can have raw h.264 but without a header it's difficult to tell what framerate to play it back at. I bet VLC can try to auto guess a raw .264 stream and play it back, but if you have a raw stream it's because you're going to multiplex it into a blu-ray for disc creation.

Containers give context to what to do with a raw stream. When you do author the blu-ray disc it puts it in it's own transport stream which the blu-ray player knows what to do with it. Headers are small, in the range of killobytes. It wont matter when you're trying to deliver some 3+mbps stream video.

as for looping a video like a gif, when you embed a video into html, you would still have to create some code to act as a player. There is no "please loop this file" functionality like a gif has. a video file is more complex than the gif standard because it could contain

• One or more video streams
  • One or more audio streams
  • In .mp4 variable framerates that change
  • subtitle streams
  • chapter marks

Having a default behavior and control setup for it is essential since most video files are longer than 1 second. It's not a technical issue, but a herp derp standards issue with browsers etc.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

wait does 720P material have the exact same bitrate as 1080P material from the itunes store?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pagancow posted:

• In .mp4 variable framerates that change

this is the dumbest thing and pre-CS6 versions of premiere puke their guts out when they encounter an iphone video with variable frame rate.

apple, just loving film at one frame rate, jeeze

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lol you expect apple to obey standards

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

wait does 720P material have the exact same bitrate as 1080P material from the itunes store?

I don't think so, but it isn't much higher. When they first started offering 1080p downloads people commented on how they aren't really any better than their 720p content and nowhere near blu-ray quality, and evidently the situation hasn't improved.

It's not like watching a TV broadcast where it's macro block city or anything, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hey are there any tv providers that dont compress the poo poo out of everything and turn it into macroblock hell? i just dumped uverse and have just been watching ota tv and apple tv lately, and holy poo poo are both waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than uverses blocky lovely mess. any fast motion was rendered unwatchable mess because of the compression.

are there any tv providers (either cable/dsl/satellite) that arent complete trash with regards to compression?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably not many if any. they don't have any real immediate need to go to h264 and most consumers probably don't care that much about video quality.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*pays extra for HD channels*

*gets super compressed blocky tv that looks like realmedia from the 90's*

"Heh, yeah, this HD is great"

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*pays extra for HD channels*

*gets super compressed blocky tv that looks like realmedia from the 90's*

"Heh, yeah, this HD is great"

more like

*watches SD channel stretched to fill their new sceptre 50" LCD*

"dang man this HD stuff is great, look how big it is"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dur posted:

more like

*watches 4:3 SD channel stretched to 16:9 to fill their new sceptre 50" LCD*

"dang man this HD stuff is great, look how big it is"

-Every person over 50 ever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

then you fix it for them and put them on the HD channel and stop the stretching and one of two things happens:

1) "This looks great, thanks!" *is back to the SD channel literally 10 minutes later and calling you on the phone because they cant get rid of the black bars*

2) "Looks the same to me :shrug:"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hey are there any tv providers that dont compress the poo poo out of everything and turn it into macroblock hell? i just dumped uverse and have just been watching ota tv and apple tv lately, and holy poo poo are both waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than uverses blocky lovely mess. any fast motion was rendered unwatchable mess because of the compression.

are there any tv providers (either cable/dsl/satellite) that arent complete trash with regards to compression?

my comcast system displays them just fine, but i've been to other regions and watched comcast there and it was all compressed??

though our local comcast systems have completely removed all analog signals from the distribution, so I think they have a lot more bandwidth available to send out hd channels than places that still have analog channels available

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
moving to h264 would require new equipment and probably would happen at the same time as a docsis 3 migration (which should always be accompanied by an analog switch off).

you'd want docsis 3 anyways before h264 cause you probably cant get the bandwidth savings of h264 over mpeg2 w/out the smaller channel widths of docsis3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

that could be, our uverse still had like 500 analog channels

• Locked thread