Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So what are the chances that Durkon doesn't go home to get buried, but to wreck poo poo on his homeland, as prophesied, after turning into an Evil vampire?

Cause this sounds like something Rich would pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Oxxidation posted:

Snake kills humble dwarf.

Have you taken a rank in Dashing Swordsman, then?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Will Thor be upset about / excommunicate a vampire worshipper? He might be the kind of god that wouldn't care too much as long as there is a lot of fighting and lightning, but he sort of seems like a good god.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Goffer posted:

Will Thor be upset about / excommunicate a vampire worshipper? He might be the kind of god that wouldn't care too much as long as there is a lot of fighting and lightning, but he sort of seems like a good god.

Alignment is kind of unyielding in D&D. Durkon is hosed in that regard :(

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Alignment is kind of unyielding in D&D. Durkon is hosed in that regard :(
I think there's some leeway in the comic for cleric alignments. Isn't there a rule in D&D that clerics have to be within one alignment shift of their deity? Durkon is Lawful and Thor's clearly Chaotic.

If it goes that way re: vampirism I'd expect a shift to worshipping Hel. I don't know if that's legit but if not it seems a decent houserule.

Edit: VV @Col.Cool: Or that.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 4, 2013

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Durkon died a death worthy of any dwarf; in the grip of an unliving abomination. Hell, he was even in an underground Fortress.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Goffer posted:

The interesting bit is that the prophecy about Durkon specifically said "he will bring death and destruction for us all".

Guess what Nergal's the god of.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Goffer posted:

At this point, I don't think it will be Thor rejecting Durkon, but the other way around.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Malack's totally not a Yuan-Ti, he's just a very large magical sapient glass (legless) lizard that coincidentally has similar abilities and probable statistics to a copyrighted fantasy creature. Got it.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Colonel Cool posted:

The interesting bit is that the prophecy about Durkon specifically said "he will bring death and destruction for us all".

Clearly Durkon's just going to be a really pushy missionary of Nergal in the Dwarven lands! :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TunaSpleen posted:

Okay, so Malack's totally not a Yuan-Ti, he's just a very large magical sapient glass (legless) lizard that coincidentally has similar abilities and probable statistics to a copyrighted fantasy creature. Got it.

I mean, sure, maybe he is, but so what? Unless that informs how he's likely to act (which it might, it's been a long time since I read Dwellers of the Forbidden City) how is it important?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Colonel Cool posted:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html

The wording is quite similar.

Also Thor's hammer is the smoosher of evil, which might not work out too well for certain characters.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

how is it important?

For the 'spergiest of us to figure out stats and abilities to know what sort of tricks he can play in the future, same as any other character we've ever squabbled about aside from V's gender.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really liked how Durkon's skin tone gradually turned paler and paler as his blood was drained. Great artwork touch.

So, will he lose all his Cleric abilities and spells now?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 4, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Trapezium Dave posted:

If it goes that way re: vampirism I'd expect a shift to worshipping Hel. I don't know if that's legit but if not it seems a decent houserule.

Edit: VV @Col.Cool: Or that.
Same. If for no other reason than she was name dropped and fleshed out twice in this chapter (including 3 pages ago), and we haven't even discussed the North Gods since book 1 otherwise.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So, will he lose all his Cleric abilities and spells now?

Nergal will happily grant his new disciple all sort of poo poo I'm sure.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

So. About time for Xykon and Co. to show up, isn't it?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

blizzardvizard posted:

So what are the chances that Durkon doesn't go home to get buried, but to wreck poo poo on his homeland, as prophesied, after turning into an Evil vampire?

Cause this sounds like something Rich would pull.

And the best part is, from the current High Priest's response letter (the one the MitD ate) it sounds like the former High Priest didn't write the prophesy down anywhere. So they'll be completely unprepared when he does come home...

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

So when vampires make other vampires, isn't the rule that they can only have one non-spawn under their sway at a time? To make another one, they have to release their current progeny. Mostly going off of the d20 SRD

edit: upon re-reading it says " At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice" and this is in reference to non-spawn vampires as well. I doubt Malack could vamp-enslave them both. I guess we'll see.

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only way to bring a vampire back from Evil-alignment after it's taken hold properly is to kill it and then resurrect, right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Colon V posted:

Even the goddamn cat is male.
What makes you say that? I don't think the cat's sex has ever been mentioned. :confused:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zereth posted:

What makes you say that? I don't think the cat's sex has ever been mentioned. :confused:

Because his name is Mr. Scruffy.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Having done a quick readthrough of most of the recent comics, I'd forgotten all about the "the rift is in Girard's buttcheeks" deal. Wonder how that'll shape up, seeing as we must be getting close to the actual gate at this point in the story.

ZnCu
Jul 2, 2007

Eat Sword?
According to the SRD: "Vampires appear just as they did in life, although their features are often hardened and feral..."

Often, but not always. I wonder if vampire Durkon is going to pretend to be normal Durkon and keep travelling with the party? And would Belkar be aware of the transformation if it happened while he was dominated?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

What's going to happen with Durkon's soul between now and being raised? Maybe there'll be another afterlife strip :ohdear:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ZnCu posted:

According to the SRD: "Vampires appear just as they did in life, although their features are often hardened and feral..."

Often, but not always. I wonder if vampire Durkon is going to pretend to be normal Durkon and keep travelling with the party? And would Belkar be aware of the transformation if it happened while he was dominated?

The most recent kobold seemed aware of what was going on while dominated. More interesting would be "How much would Durkon need to bribe Belkar to keep it under wraps"?

The answer, imo, would be "nothing at all"; I think Belkar would be completely fine with having another "evil-RPing-good" person in the party. Roy would feel perfectly fine leaving Durkon with Belkar to "keep Belkar under control", and then they could go off and do whatever chaotic-evil things their hearts desire. The only question would be, how long would Durkon be able to fake clerical abilities as a vampire? Do they all just transfer to a new god and stay basically the same?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ZnCu posted:

And would Belkar be aware of the transformation if it happened while he was dominated?

I don't see why he wouldn't be. Domination just means you're under the mental control of another entity; it doesn't say anything about you not having awareness of what happened while you were under their control.

Makes me wonder if Belkar's silently freaking the hell out inside his own head at what's happening and being unable to stop it... or if he's just pissed that now Durkon's going to get sweet vampire powers and he isn't.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Could a dominated person be forced to forget?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Ursine Asylum posted:

The most recent kobold seemed aware of what was going on while dominated. More interesting would be "How much would Durkon need to bribe Belkar to keep it under wraps"?

The answer, imo, would be "nothing at all"; I think Belkar would be completely fine with having another "evil-RPing-good" person in the party. Roy would feel perfectly fine leaving Durkon with Belkar to "keep Belkar under control", and then they could go off and do whatever chaotic-evil things their hearts desire. The only question would be, how long would Durkon be able to fake clerical abilities as a vampire? Do they all just transfer to a new god and stay basically the same?

It would depend if Malack is destroyed somehow, or if Durkon was acting on Malack's behalf. I think Belkar would want nothing more than to killing Malack, for biting him in the head and dominating him if nothing else.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Is Thor actually an aligned deity? I thought Norse gods were all pretty much "Alignment? Whatever go kill and or die in glorious battle or something."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

MikeJF posted:

Could a dominated person be forced to forget?

I don't think so; the effect specifies the caster "controls the actions" of the target, "within the limits of its abilities". I think something like that would be outside of the spell's purview, especially since there's a separate spell called "Modify Memory" of the same level that only lets you affect five minutes of the target's memories.

SirDan3k posted:

Is Thor actually an aligned deity? I thought Norse gods were all pretty much "Alignment? Whatever go kill and or die in glorious battle or something."

By D&D rules, he's Chaotic Good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Carrasco posted:

By D&D rules, he's Chaotic Good.

Which doesn't make much sense since a cleric's supposed to be no more than one alignment step away from his diety, and Durkon's Lawful Good is two. But I guess this Thor is NG or something? Or Rich doesn't much care about that caveat, I guess. Especially since it's pretty funny to have stick in the mud Dukon worshiping such a random god and all.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Can someone post it? My work has the sight blocked for some bizarre reason.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Can someone post it? My work has the sight blocked for some bizarre reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

W.T. Fits posted:

Because his name is Mr. Scruffy.
Never seen kids name cats before it was clear what equipment they had and the name stuck or things like that, I take it? :catstare:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zereth posted:

Never seen kids name cats before it was clear what equipment they had and the name stuck or things like that, I take it? :catstare:

They also call him 'him'.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The person who named it was an octogenarian who probably knows what bits things have.

Jesus, that's depressing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

You're the one who wanted an explanation for why people assumed the cat is male. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. :colbert:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I misted up a little. Over a stick-figure dwarf. I'd really like Rich to take a swing at some non-graphic fiction, he's got some chops for it, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I don't even know what the hell to expect from this comic any more.