Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cross-posting from the MF/LF thread.

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a quick casual portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

Cross-posting from the MF/LF thread.

My friend bought some LED panels so I decided to try and shoot a quick casual portrait of another friend who came over to his house as well. One thing about using LED panels with my Hassy is that you don't need to bother with a flash sync cable anymore, and you can see how the light will be right in the viewfinder, instead of having to test with another camera or Polaroid.

Alva by alkanphel, on Flickr

Love, love, love this. There's just something about the color and texture of his skin, and the wonderful light falloff around him.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Paragon8 posted:

It can be tough because even great photographers are colored by their experience and style so their criticism might not be valuable to you, and it can be intimidating to disregard that. Like one of the best photographers I assist prefers the work I shoot that is more similar to theirs but I get booked for jobs on the style that they don't like so by virtue of that I focus more on what brings in work. One of the reasons I don't post in this thread is because my work probably goes against what the majority of people think is good but I know it gets me work so I choose to value that over what this thread might think.

Now that you've said that, I'd be interested in seeing some that work if your okay with posting something.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Someone stop me before I shoot again.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I had a photo booth set up at a wedding, and this guy wants his photo taken. His name is Johnny. He is awesome.

Johnny by francography, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Crosspost from the medium/large format thread. Made a paper negative exposure with my view camera and printed it today. The yellow color is from staining the paper with tea to age it.

Vintage Margarita by McMadCow, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

McMadCow posted:

Crosspost from the medium/large format thread. Made a paper negative exposure with my view camera and printed it today. The yellow color is from staining the paper with tea to age it.

Vintage Margarita by McMadCow, on Flickr

I really like this photo - though I wish there was a bit more "allure" in her expression. Still, very awesome

A new one:

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I posted it on PotD, but I seem to get much better feedback in here when it's people specific.

Steph on Green #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

sw1gger posted:

I really like this photo - though I wish there was a bit more "allure" in her expression. Still, very awesome

A new one:

Everything you shoot is awesome.

Cyberbob posted:

I posted it on PotD, but I seem to get much better feedback in here when it's people specific.

Steph on Green #2 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Pose feels awkward to me and doesn't really fit her expression. I think arms down would have looked better. I get what you were going for, but she just looks like somebody has tried to rob her in the middle of a hedgemaze.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

sw1gger posted:

A new one:

I love this, but the distortion on her face is a little jarring. :/ Still, looks great. Love the light.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

somnambulist posted:

I love this, but the distortion on her face is a little jarring. :/ Still, looks great. Love the light.

One of my first times ever really shooting with a wide angle lens(I need to do it more). That said, I was aware of the distortion, and even have an edit in here with it toned down, but after I compared the two the more distorted version added a cartoonish element to it which I kind of preferred. I appreciate the input!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Everything you shoot is awesome.

Wow, thanks!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

sw1gger posted:

One of my first times ever really shooting with a wide angle lens(I need to do it more). That said, I was aware of the distortion, and even have an edit in here with it toned down, but after I compared the two the more distorted version added a cartoonish element to it which I kind of preferred. I appreciate the input!

Wow, thanks!

I can see that point of view. It's not "bad" , but since ive been using my tilt shift lens 24/7 since i got it and ive been trying my hardest to remove distortions, it popped out at me like a punch in the face. Haha. Really neat photo though :)

To contribute, messing around with Tilt (i promise i wont overdo it! i'm just experimenting right now) He is a friend visiting from Hawaii that works at Hanauma Bay , he's a bit of a hippie so I saw the lights streaming down the tree and loved how organic it looked. Too bad I didnt notice the stupid trash can till after -_-

351B9245 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 28, 2013

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

sw1gger posted:

A new one:

This is awesome but it looks like her right foot is floating, the shadow seems a little off.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

sw1gger posted:

A new one:

I love the hell out of this.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
sw1gger, did you ever post any tutorials of your setups and/or post anywhere aside from that one on the 500px blog?

Pretty sure you promised us that at one point. :colbert:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Spedman posted:

Now that you've said that, I'd be interested in seeing some that work if your okay with posting something.

Sure

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

William T. Hornaday posted:

sw1gger, did you ever post any tutorials of your setups and/or post anywhere aside from that one on the 500px blog?

Pretty sure you promised us that at one point. :colbert:

Pick a photo and I'll get it done!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Awesome. Thanks. I always liked it when people posted tutorials in the post-processing thread.

Anything with floating people and/or objects would be cool. Or where there's like glowing stuff. Or even just where you're pushing sliders around would be informative too. Whatever you think is interesting and informative.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Um, is there anyone in the thread of the opinion that this is bad work?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Um, is there anyone in the thread of the opinion that this is bad work?

haha, I'm sure you'll find someone now. I think I might still be afraid of the post processing = bad mindset that used to be standard for the dorkroom. I remember a dude got run out of here a while ago who shot similar work to me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't call it super original, but you're deluded if you think it's bad.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I wouldn't call it super original, but you're deluded if you think it's bad.

I know it's not bad, but I'm not getting anything out of posting it here.

And thanks I think for the backhanded compliment?

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 1, 2013

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

It's clearly your professional, gig-getting portfolio, though, so that's fair enough.

Do you do any personal work outside of this? What was your route into shooting so much pretty lady content? I'm more curious than anything - I'm going down different roads to that. Besides, I'd just feel awkward and shy myself - I do hair and make up stuff but that's where I stop.

EDIT: Who got run out of here? It's bullshit to consider one certain style of inherently greater value over another based on personal preference. Yes, there may be a certain level of fatigue over pretty lady in not many clothes photography, but you can't deny the quality, direction of the models and lighting employed in those shots.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 1, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

It's clearly your professional, gig-getting portfolio, though, so that's fair enough.

Do you do any personal work outside of this? What was your route into shooting so much pretty lady content? I'm more curious than anything - I'm going down different roads to that. Besides, I'd just feel awkward and shy myself - I do hair and make up stuff but that's where I stop.

I'd sort of consider most of what I shoot to be personal work in that my stuff on my site is mostly from testing. My published commercial work is super boring, and a little too small to really make a big deal out of. I do modelling portfolios as well but I don't really put those up anywhere. I primarily assist although that's been changing this year. I assisted mostly fashion and some glamour which is very oriented towards using female models. So just being around that has pushed me in this direction.

I remember a professional retoucher got run out of the processing thread or maybe the earlier iteration because the consensus was "hurr why spend more than five minutes retouching a picture when you can gaussian blur it" - I can't remember the portrait dude's username. He wasn't super high level, I think he got a custom title as well. But yeah ever since those two incidents I got the impression that the dorkroom didn't really appreciate that sort of content which is fine. It's cool to talk about gursky and street photography too.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 1, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Paragon8 posted:

I'd sort of consider most of what I shoot to be personal work in that my stuff on my site is mostly from testing. My published commercial work is super boring, and a little too small to really make a big deal out of. I do modelling portfolios as well but I don't really put those up anywhere. I primarily assist although that's been changing this year. I assisted mostly fashion and some glamour which is very oriented towards using female models. So just being around that has pushed me in this direction.

I remember a professional retoucher got run out of the processing thread or maybe the earlier iteration because the consensus was "hurr why spend more than five minutes retouching a picture when you can gaussian blur it" - I can't remember the portrait dude's username. He wasn't super high level, I think he got a custom title as well. But yeah ever since those two incidents I got the impression that the dorkroom didn't really appreciate that sort of content which is fine. It's cool to talk about gursky and street photography too.

I think you might be thinking of Zoowick, the guy who shoots a lot of "high end high school senior photography." I like your portfolio because it really showcases a consistent style, which is something I wish my own portfolio did.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

That behind the scenes is cool- I need to get more movement into stuff I think, remove some stiffness. I used the old "just doing a test shot to get the light right, hold on" on an editorial last week. It was the best shot of the guy from the selection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

And thanks I think for the backhanded compliment?
Sorry for the confusion I didn't mean you personally :smith:

I should have said "people who think it's straight up bad are deluded"

:glomp:

RangerScum posted:

I think you might be thinking of Zoowick, the guy who shoots a lot of "high end high school senior photography."
YES! Now that dude was pretty bad.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 1, 2013

LFK
Jan 5, 2013
It's not even that great, but I'm absolutely in love with this photo.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Yeah, Paragon, don't worry. Your stuff is pretty excellent.

The only 'complaint' I could see coming would be that it's geared towards editorial stuff you see splashed in magazines, and even then, that's a pretty good look to be accomplished at. And even so, your post is quite good.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Mike "Blue Tongue" Buzek by natebol, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Just as an FYI - even after asking a client what kind of retouching they would like for their photos ask again. Especially Asian (especially Indian) clients with dark skin. It'll save you time and a headache.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

sw1gger posted:

A new one:

The top two thirds of this is great, but the right leg (from our PoV) looks pretty strange and her feet seem really huge to me. Did you comp them in from elsewhere?

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

big scary monsters posted:

The top two thirds of this is great, but the right leg (from our PoV) looks pretty strange and her feet seem really huge to me. Did you comp them in from elsewhere?

Nope. That's the way they are.

Problem was I was too lazy to bring my parabolic softbox - so instead settled with my 3 footer one. I considered a crop but whatevs

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

also be careful with lining up the skirting board in the background, it looks a bit distorted from where you comped in the paper aeroplane

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Paragon8 posted:

also be careful with lining up the skirting board in the background, it looks a bit distorted from where you comped in the paper aeroplane

Fixed it in final version :) But thanks mang! I couldn't believe I had originally missed that but luckily, you're the first person to say anything aboot it

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

---_08051 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

_32_0252 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Check out some of these slick tips for shootin' portraits, you guys!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone with a Canon D-SLR can take a portrait...

e: is there a male equivalent to portraits like these? Sometimes the huge preponderance of pictures of pretty girls in attractive but unnatural poses gets a bit much for me and starts to seem really weird. I want to reshoot that portrait guide frame for frame with a man doing the same poses and expressions and see if anyone is able to take it seriously.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 4, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

If it helps nearly all those poses are terrible.

Shoot high and low is basically the worst advice for shooting anyone who isn't a supermodel.

The guide literally says shooting down makes your subject more submissive and innocent which is hilariously terrible.

Basically it's a pamphlet on how to model mayhem.

I made an effort thread about fashion photography if anyone wants to check it out.

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I understand that this particular guide is unusually bad, but beautiful woman in unnatural pose with no context is a pretty well represented archetype even in this very thread!

That's not to say it's always a bad thing, I've just been thinking recently how few similarly arranged photos of men appear and how strange some popular poses actually are if you stop to consider them at all.