Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Maybe Ghostlight will bring us that version in 2016! Or maybe never!

It's somewhat annoying this trend of making revised versions of your past games. Once in a while I'd say it's all right, but when you start doing it frequently you'll soon have buyers thinking "eh, maybe I'll skip this one and wait for the improved version".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

It's somewhat annoying this trend of making revised versions of your past games. Once in a while I'd say it's all right, but when you start doing it frequently you'll soon have buyers thinking "eh, maybe I'll skip this one and wait for the improved version".

It's one thing to do it with somewhat older games, like Disgaea on PSP/Vita, but Desu 2 isn't even that old.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Dehry posted:

I guess no one's brought the news over here, but Devil Survivor 2 : Break Code is a thing now.

I regularly got 2 or 3 street passes at my college, now I only get them when I go into gamestop. I guess that comes with living out in the country. Strangely enough I've gotten hits at the local Renasance Festival and Toys R Us when they had a sale.

I liked the first one up until the first major fight with Belder, where you fight through enemies to get to him, and when you finally do reach him, he respawns all your enemies. And you only get three types of enemies in the free battle to try and crack skills from, none of which are useful. I love the battle system, and I don't mind a challenge or grinding, but the grinding doesn't actually give me anything except a small amount of experience :/

Hopefully there's a demo and they make a few tweaks to it. That and I hate stories in my RPGs, which is why I can't put down EOIV :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention that the Bravery Default producer has been acknowledging the international audience on Twitter? Because he totally has.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I just wanted to chime in for anyone contemplating the XL vs the normal model - don't even ask just buy the XL. Like, I know that sounds counter productive and rude but hear me out.

I had a regular purple 3DS a few months ago. Didn't like it too much, felt like it was too small of a screen for what was going on (even with 20/20 vision), holding it felt weird, and just turned me off to the 3DS experience in general.

Figured I would try again for the hell of it a month or so again, this time with the XL; immediate difference! Obviously it's bigger, but it doesn't make me nauseous like the smaller one, actually feels nice to hold, the stylus is in a good place... Yeah. Seriously, get the XL if possible.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Pokemon gets away with it just fine.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

DKWildz posted:

Not only rural areas. Most cities that aren't on the east coast just never had the density or need to build up huge bus/subway systems. Even if they have them, they're so spread out that even if you used the bus/lightrail/subway, you'd likely never see a streetpass because you don't have the population density it requires. That's my situation in Phoenix. Basically, check facebook for '<city/state> Streetpass' groups. That and ComicCon type conventions are the only answer

Eh, on the west side of Phoenix myself and work even further west and everytime I take it out to the mall or something I usually will get 2 or so a trip. That said far less than you'd figure for such a populated city but we all built out not up so it's not THAT crazy a notion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Atlus have been doing this since the PS2 SMT games with Nocturne Maniax (which is the version released in US/PAL areas) and Persona 3 FES. I think at this point the only SMT games from the last decade that didn't get updates are Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Green Puddin posted:

I just wanted to chime in for anyone contemplating the XL vs the normal model - don't even ask just buy the XL. Like, I know that sounds counter productive and rude but hear me out.

I had a regular purple 3DS a few months ago. Didn't like it too much, felt like it was too small of a screen for what was going on (even with 20/20 vision), holding it felt weird, and just turned me off to the 3DS experience in general.

Figured I would try again for the hell of it a month or so again, this time with the XL; immediate difference! Obviously it's bigger, but it doesn't make me nauseous like the smaller one, actually feels nice to hold, the stylus is in a good place... Yeah. Seriously, get the XL if possible.

Nintendo 3DS General Discussion - Yes, buy the XL

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Atlus have been doing this since the PS2 SMT games with Nocturne Maniax (which is the version released in US/PAL areas) and Persona 3 FES. I think at this point the only SMT games from the last decade that didn't get updates are Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou games.

Strange Journey, too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think everyone's aware that Atlus keeps iterating their SMT games at least once. My point is that, especially with the speed some of those remakes are coming along now, people will smarten up to it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I liked the first one up until the first major fight with Belder, where you fight through enemies to get to him, and when you finally do reach him, he respawns all your enemies. And you only get three types of enemies in the free battle to try and crack skills from, none of which are useful. I love the battle system, and I don't mind a challenge or grinding, but the grinding doesn't actually give me anything except a small amount of experience :/

It's been a long time since I played it, but I vaguely remember that he won't respawn the minor enemies unless you kill them all off, so just leave some alive or just keep the leader alive and defend so they can't cause any trouble. Only your main character can hurt him anyway, so you can just have the other parties take care of the minor enemies while you focus on him.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So a year ago I found the best spot to get street passes, and it's coming up again, PAX East. If you're in the Boston area I'm sure you could simply stop by and reap tons of street passes. I completed every puzzle swap by the end of day 1 last year.

I haven't been getting many passes at all, like 10 total since, so all my new puzzles are very empty.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there a way to get maps of other countries in your street pass listing instead of just getting the no map message?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WorldWarWonderful posted:

There's a trick to making that fight a fair bit easier - bring a Kishin demon with the MC, their passive ability lets you attack twice in one turn. Also loading up on passive physical buffs (Crit, etc) will help too.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I think everyone's aware that Atlus keeps iterating their SMT games at least once. My point is that, especially with the speed some of those remakes are coming along now, people will smarten up to it.

Considering the majority of the remakes come out on different consoles from their predecessors (P3FES -> P3P, P4 -> P4G, Devil Survivor-> DSOverclocked), I think that limits a lot of people's ability to "wait and see", unless you just buy every console as a matter of course.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I live in Taipei and I haven't gotten a single Taiwanese Streetpass. Every Streetpass I get is from a Japanese tourist.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yes, buy the XL.

I'm so excited for Animal Crossing. More than I have been for any other AC title. :allears:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Obligatory reminder to bring your 3DS with you if you go to a comic con or Pax event. I got over 300 spot passes in 3 days from comic con NY..and that's not even including the ones I most likely missed because of the queue being full.

Also, it's cool because you see the regions people come from. I had a few from Japan, about six or seven from Europe, and even a few from South America. Spotpass at conventions really an amazing thing to see.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Akileese posted:

Obligatory reminder to bring your 3DS with you if you go to a comic con or Pax event. I got over 300 spot passes in 3 days from comic con NY..and that's not even including the ones I most likely missed because of the queue being full.

100 hits today at Emerald City Comic Con (my phrase was 'Ave atque vale!' for anyone else present) and that was just being there for half a day. So yeah, nothing will set spotpass off quite like a nerd-centric convention.

edit: weirdest region I got was Venezuela.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I've gotten two Streetpasses in Western West Virginia. One was when my friend came over, the other was a day I visited my high school to catch up with some awesome teachers. It was thrilling to get one out in the wild! Wish it would happen more often.

Also, I live in the USA and I never got the Brain Age puzzle. Is there any "Check for new puzzles" feature I don't know about? I need more puzzles to never finish.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MykonosFan posted:

I've gotten two Streetpasses in Western West Virginia. One was when my friend came over, the other was a day I visited my high school to catch up with some awesome teachers. It was thrilling to get one out in the wild! Wish it would happen more often.

Also, I live in the USA and I never got the Brain Age puzzle. Is there any "Check for new puzzles" feature I don't know about? I need more puzzles to never finish.

You get new puzzles that you never received by getting a panel from a StreetPass. :v:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

deadwing posted:

You get new puzzles that you never received by getting a panel from a StreetPass. :v:

Oh, of course! :v: Well uhh...guess I best get traveling around then.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

Haraksha posted:

I live in Taipei and I haven't gotten a single Taiwanese Streetpass. Every Streetpass I get is from a Japanese tourist.

That was exactly what happened when I was in Taipei last year! Especially when taking the MRT.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, I don't think the 3DS has penetrated the market very much here. I see them for sale, but I never see people playing them. I have to wonder if the inability to pirate games for it has hurt its sales. The DS Light is still pretty popular because of the R4.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Well I didn't buy Devil Survivor 2 because I knew an Overclocked version would come out so I guess kind of? In some cases the remakes are actually good though, I bought P3Portable and P4Golden even though I own the PS2 games and thought they were really worth it.

I don't think it's a bad thing, I actually would like a few more re-releases from them. I wouldn't mind an updated Nocturne/DDS for the Vita/3DS. They're a tiny company making niche games, they can't afford to constantly pump out AAA RPGs or anything.

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Atlus is so weird about reprints and such that I just went ahead and bought it, in case a 3DS version was never announced. Amazon had it for $20, so my logic was grab it, leave it unopened, and if it gets announced sell it (the first one on DS is still going for $40 or $50); if no announcement comes, open it and enjoy. No having to search high and low for it at a good price later.

However, with companies like Capcom, I just skip the first release and wait for Ultimate/Super/AE/Ver.20XX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Well this looks... okay? Maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y64shEpjWxY

Co-production between TOYBOX (Yasuhiro Wada's new company), Natsume and Rising Star Games, music by Nobuo Uematsu. Apparently it started life as a cellphone game? That'd explain the visuals.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Co-production between TOYBOX (Yasuhiro Wada's new company), Natsume and Rising Star Games, music by Nobuo Uematsu. Apparently it started life as a cellphone game? That'd explain the visuals.

Nice Pokemon font. But seriously that trailer was very :3:. No clue how to feel about the game itself. It's Harvest Moon but with pixie soccer and shop management? I could probably get into it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have never played a Harvest Moon game- is the 3DS game a good place to start?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Pope Guilty posted:

Kind of. Better off trying Rune Factory 3, honestly. It's farming + action RPG.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

As long as you're talking about A New Beginning and not A Tale of Two Towns, sure.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pope Guilty posted:

A New Beginning has a kind of slow start, but then gets crazy fun. If you're looking for something with a faster pace try out Rune Factory 3. It has insane characters that almost seem like a meta commentary of anime (because they are that crazy) and great gameplay. Definitely check out Rune Factory 4 when it comes out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That's some gorgeous-rear end music for such an unattractive (though admittedly pretty adorable) game. The idea is cute though, but I'm afraid it might be coming out close enough to Animal Crossing and lose out for my "relaxing game where you talk to people and sell stuff and just sorta hang out" summer gaming slot. Who knows though, maybe it'll wow me as more info comes out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Countblanc posted:

That's some gorgeous-rear end music for such an unattractive (though admittedly pretty adorable) game. The idea is cute though, but I'm afraid it might be coming out close enough to Animal Crossing and lose out for my "relaxing game where you talk to people and sell stuff and just sorta hang out" summer gaming slot. Who knows though, maybe it'll wow me as more info comes out.

There's also Fantasy Life, Level-5's Animal Crossing/Rune Factory-style game which may or may not be out in English at the end of the year. (Uematsu worked on it as well, funnily enough.)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Holy poo poo whoever is forcing all these 3DS games to use polygons needs to be found and stopped. That game is likely to cause injury when viewed in 3D.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

It's like someone smushed Harvest Moon and Recettear together.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Countblanc posted:

It says Nobuo Uuematsu is the composer. He basically composed the music from Final Fantasy 1-10.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

It says Nobuo Uuematsu is the composer. He basically composed the music from Final Fantasy 1-10.

I was at a philharmonic concert composed entirely of his music and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

quote:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked will finally make its way into the cartridge slots of British 3DS units on Friday, April 5, nearly a year and a half after the game originally debuted in North America and Japan in the fall of 2011.

The game will be available for pre-order directly from Ghostlight on March 8, and anyone that pre-orders from the publisher will also receive a double-sided poster and free shipping within the United Kingdom. Additionally, shipping charges on overseas pre-orders will be reduced by an equivalent amount.

Wow, a poster! that sure makes up for a year and a half of "porting" a game that was completely done and translated to begin with. Ghostlight better go broke over this.

• Locked thread