Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutuerBear
Feb 22, 2006
Slippery Tilde

OrganGrinder posted:

The consensus is that I should keep reading, and I will. Are books 4/5 so chronologically bizzaire that there will be an actual need for the guide?

No, not at all really. For me at least the only really bizarre thing is that the author's note that explains how the books are split up is at the end of AFFC. With the knowledge that those two books are paired, you can just read them straight through and be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

whowhatwhere posted:

Around halfway through ADWD starts going beyond the timeline of AFFC.
Specifically in ADWD chapter 38, Areo Hotah's POV.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I can see how that might be confusing and upsetting to people. I'll just have to wait and see what kind of frustration emerges. GRRM has a tendency for long winded writing so I'm not surprised to discover he was forced to split books up. Thanks for the heads up, I look forward to getting to that point.

These books are a really enjoyable and well written series. But frustratingly painful because of how well written they are.

VVVV: I know, I know, Cornwind Evil. That's whats so frustrating. All of me just wants them to be super heroes of justice, and what makes the series so good so far is that everyone is an actual person, and good doesn't always win and good guys die, and for that matter, what is good. Maybe honorable men don't always win is more correct.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 17, 2012

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Just remember OrganGrinder, in most fantasy novels the main characters are as much archtypes as people. In ASOIAF, all of them are people to the core. For better or for worse.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

OrganGrinder posted:

good doesn't always win and good guys die, and for that matter, what is good. Maybe honorable men don't always win is more correct.

In GRRM's world, the more honor someone has, the more you can be assured of their gruesome death. This is a theme that even the characters comment on, more than once (Petyr Baelish)

walrusonthehill
Mar 18, 2008

yes durians

Maarak posted:

Finish book 3 at least, maybe consult a guide for reading 4 and 5 at once so that their chapters line up better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Dany and Cersai's chapters being much better when read one after the other to contrast their ruling styles.

This sounds fantastic and I'd love to revisit these books like that, especially reading those characters' chapters side by side. Does anyone have a recommended guide for doing this?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Halfway through the second book, can someone explain how Pycelle is a traitor, and how they figured it out?

Also is there a good site that can summarize events up to certain points, I'm kind of getting lost with the dearth of characters.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Halfway through the second book, can someone explain how Pycelle is a traitor, and how they figured it out?

Also is there a good site that can summarize events up to certain points, I'm kind of getting lost with the dearth of characters.

ACoK: Tyrion told three different stories to Littlefinger, Varys and Pycelle. Pycelle ratted out, to Cersei, Tyrion's "plan" to send Myrcella to Dorne.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
(More ACoK spoilers:) Obviously Myrcella does get sent to Dorne...was it because that was the "plan" that got discovered or was Tyrion planning on doing that no matter what? I don't know if that was explained and I missed it but I've always wondered.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
(Continued ACOK discussion) It was always going to be sending Myrcella to Dorne (because Dorne had the biggest reason to go against the Lannisters and the other two options were implausible), but Tyrion just used the opportunity to out Pycelle.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

walrusonthehill posted:

This sounds fantastic and I'd love to revisit these books like that, especially reading those characters' chapters side by side. Does anyone have a recommended guide for doing this?

I thought this one worked pretty well, but I skipped the bolded jump ahead parts. Those are recent updates and only serve to keep a plot point from late in AFFC from being spoiled early in ADWD.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm re-reading this series. In my paperback of book two, page 307 is completely blank. I can't find any book previews with this page. It's the start of a chapter from Tyrion's perspective where he is inspecting the wildfire in the alchemists' guild. The next page begins "it would fit comfortably in the grip of a normal man, he knew."

If any goon wants to save me a trip to the library I'd be very appreciative.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
Can you PM me your email?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Here you go.

quote:

They had warned him to dress warmly. Tyrion Lannister took them at their word. He was garbed in heavy quilted breeches and a woolen doublet, and over it all he had thrown the shadowskin cloak he had acquired in the Mountains of the Moon. The cloak was absurdly long, made for a man twice his height. When he was not ahorse, the only way to wear the thing was to wrap it around him several times, which made him look like a ball of striped fur.
Even so, he was glad he had listened. The chill in the long dank vault went bone deep. Timett had chosen to retreat back up to the cellar after a brief taste of the cold below. They were somewhere under the hill of Rhaenys, behind the Guildhall of the Alchemists. The damp stone walls were splotchy with nitre, and the only light came from the sealed iron-and-glass oil lamp that Hallyne the Pyromancer carried so gingerly.
Gingerly indeed . . . and these would be the ginger jars. Tyrion lifted one for inspection. It was round and ruddy, a fat clay grapefruit. A little big for his hand.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 31, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

might want to put that in spoiler tags.

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
Sharing with you guys my latest fanart:

Queen of Love and Beauty

Lyanna Stark with Ned.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Placenta_Souffle posted:

Sharing with you guys my latest fanart:

Queen of Love and Beauty

Lyanna Stark with Ned.

Amazing!!! Well done. I love the subtle freckles.

On a side note, has anybody else bought the Land of Ice and Fire map book yet? It's actually really awesome. I can't wait till the next book comes out (yeah right) so I can use them as references and follow along.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Thank you kindly.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Regarding the books in the series, I'm currently reading Feast For Crows, and feel that I can state with at least a little authority that Clash of Kings was the weakest in the series (thus far) and that FfC is sizing up to be incredible, and SoS is pretty great.

Also, I wanted to give a quick Thank You to those of you who told me not to give up when I got pissed off, I finished the rest of the book over Christmas and am pretty upset at my silly 'gonna stop reading' tantrum now.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

OrganGrinder posted:

Regarding the books in the series, I'm currently reading Feast For Crows, and feel that I can state with at least a little authority that Clash of Kings was the weakest in the series (thus far) and that FfC is sizing up to be incredible, and SoS is pretty great.

Also, I wanted to give a quick Thank You to those of you who told me not to give up when I got pissed off, I finished the rest of the book over Christmas and am pretty upset at my silly 'gonna stop reading' tantrum now.

I found AFFC a much better read the second time around - which was started over Christmas break at my parents. But I read it differently - not straight through, but instead in groups Jamie and Cersei's chapters, Arya's and Samwell, then The Iron Islands. I just started Briennes's and will finish with Dorne's. So far I've found it much more easy to read and follow what was going on, especially politically in KL.

gobboboy
Jun 5, 2006

The pride of PITR
King's Landing chapters are always the most fun for me. Watching established characters interact is the best part of the series. Watching new characters get established gets old 5 books in.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Random general question:

What if a noble bastard male gets a legitimate marriage to a high born girl?

For instance, say the events of the story never transpire and Jon Snow grows up a honorable but undistinguished knight, earns a little land and is betrothed to some younger daughter of a minor Northern lord. Do their kids have a bastard surname too?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 15, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

Amazing!!! Well done. I love the subtle freckles.

On a side note, has anybody else bought the Land of Ice and Fire map book yet? It's actually really awesome. I can't wait till the next book comes out (yeah right) so I can use them as references and follow along.
That's what HBO's Viewer's Guide is for:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/map/

Beware there are spoilers through season/book 2 there.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

Random general question:

What if a noble bastard male gets a legitimate marriage to a high born girl?

For instance, say the events of the story never transpire and Jon Snow grows up a honorable but undistinguished knight, earns a little land and is betrothed to some younger daughter of a minor Northern lord. Do their kids have a bastard surname too?

GRRM has this to say (note: there are ASOS spoilers in that link):

quote:

The highborn parent can bestow the usual name, a new one of his/her own devising, or none at all. Most legitimate sons of bastards keep the bastard name, but there are cases where a later generation fiddles with it to remove the taint. There's one such case that you will meet in the next book, a minor character descended from a Waters (a bastard name along the shores of Blackwater Bay) whose great grandfather changed the name to Longwaters for just that reason.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

In It For The Tank posted:

GRRM has this to say (note: there are ASOS spoilers in that link):

So say in my hypothetical case, Jon Snow could give his legitimate son the surname "Wintersnow" or whatever the hell he felt like. I had previously thought only a decree from the king could remove the bastard name and only for the original name, as with (minor post AFFC spoilers) the bastard of the Dreadfort

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Legitimization is more than simply changing a bastard's name. Legitimizing a bastard gives them the the privilege of bearing a noble house's arms and the right to inherit along with any trueborn children. As you say, Ramsay was always recognized as Roose's bastard, but only became his heir when Tommen legitimized him.

In your hypothetical, Jon can change his child's name to whatever he wants because his child isn't a bastard and because bastard names are customs, not law. Like GRRM says, meddling with the name of a bastard's legitimate child is often done just to remove the stigma of having a bastard's name, but since they're legitimate they're already entitled to inherit whatever their parents own.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

In It For The Tank posted:

Legitimization is more than simply changing a bastard's name. Legitimizing a bastard gives them the the privilege of bearing a noble house's arms and the right to inherit along with any trueborn children. As you say, Ramsay was always recognized as Roose's bastard, but only became his heir when Tommen legitimized him.

In your hypothetical, Jon can change his child's name to whatever he wants because his child isn't a bastard and because bastard names are customs, not law. Like GRRM says, meddling with the name of a bastard's legitimate child is often done just to remove the stigma of having a bastard's name, but since they're legitimate they're already entitled to inherit whatever their parents own.

Hmm, so Jon probably would remain a Snow and not a Stark, because legitimizing him would piss off Catelyn.

In that link you mentioned,

quote:

=Bastard names are given only to bastards with at least one parent of high birth. So the bastard child of two peasants would have no surname at all.

What about the numerous secret bastards of (AFFC spoiler) Robert. For instance Mya Stone, is his daughter, but is she acknowledged? Did someone just say to the Arryns "this bastard girl has a highborn father, take care of her and put her in your service"?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

Robert's bastards.

Only two are acknowledged.

Mya Stone was Robert's first bastard and he fathered her when he was still a ward, and enough people knew about Mya for it to get back to Lyanna. Jon Arryn (As High as Honor!) probably insisted that Robert recognize her. Mya doesn't appear to know who her father is though.

The other is Edric Storm, who Robert fathered during Stannis' wedding. Since Edric's mother was also highborn (a Florent), Robert had no choice but to acknowledge him.

But they're the only two. Robert's fourteen other bastards are(/were) unaware that they have a highborn parent, and thus don't have a last name. Gendry isn't Gendry Waters, he's just Gendry (well, now he's Ser Gendry of the Hollow Hill.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just finished Clash of Kings, and started A Storm of Swords. Also, the Tower of the Hand is great - I didn't even notice (AGOT spoilers) that Varys and Ilyrio were the individuals Arya met while chasing cats. Also, according to the description of his "little birds", I can't help but think that (speculation) Podrick Payne is one of them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Please continue to post as you read. :)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Please continue to post as you read. :)

All kinds of spoilers below and I can't remember from where so...

Yeah, it's always fun to see the details fill in as people figure things out. Just browsing the HBO Viewer's Guide I was reminded of so many things I'd forgotten

like Martell's beef against the Lannisters?

Azran posted:

Also, according to the description of his "little birds", I can't help but think that (speculation) Podrick Payne is one of them.

I'd be interested to go back and re-read some of the books where he and Tyrion interact and see what the ramifications might be; also, (whole bunch of spoilers from later in the series here)

I wonder if he'd have any way to communicate with Varys from places he visits with Brienne. He is spared in the end of AFFC, right?

I've just started watching Season 2 of Game of Thrones and trying to figure out how they're going to fit everything in is frustrating to my brain. Also explaining things to my wife that she asks about is so loving difficult because I can't always remember if she just missed something or if it's something revealed later.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 25, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just finished reading Book 1 the other day (a gift from my brother). It was okay, but I don't think I'll be continuing with the series. It's overly gloomy for my tastes. I don't mind darkness, but I need it tempered with bits of light, and I didn't find enough of those in book 1 to make me want to continue.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Haha, yeah you should stop.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

Hmm, so Jon probably would remain a Snow and not a Stark, because legitimizing him would piss off Catelyn.

In that link you mentioned,

What about the numerous secret bastards of (AFFC spoiler) Robert. For instance Mya Stone, is his daughter, but is she acknowledged? Did someone just say to the Arryns "this bastard girl has a highborn father, take care of her and put her in your service"?

(AFFC spoiler) She does have vague memories of her father , so yeah probably something like that.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 25, 2013

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So I went on holidays, and I read the remaining thousand pages of ASOS while I was there. :stare: Page 700 is like the point where you buy a ticket into a magical ride which seems to never end. It was amazing, and I'm going to get AFFC next.

Also, I realized ADWD is out. :v:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Azran posted:

a magical ride

Well, that's one way to describe it. Another way would be a madhouse of despair and horror, but w/e :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So I'm almost finished with AFFC and man, I really feel sorry for Brienne. For almost three entire books she's tried to do the right thing, and every time she's been shat on (Renly, Catelyn, Jaime). GRRM must really hate her as well, given that he gave her not one, but two painful death scenes.

On another note, (still AFFC) splitting up the Dorne chapters so much was really stupid. There's almost literally half the book between the story of Arianne's capture and her imprisonment, and by the time it came back I'd completely forgotten everything that had happened.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

webmeister posted:

So I'm almost finished with AFFC and man, I really feel sorry for Brienne. For almost three entire books she's tried to do the right thing, and every time she's been shat on (Renly, Catelyn, Jaime). GRRM must really hate her as well, given that he gave her not one, but two painful death scenes.

On another note, (still AFFC) splitting up the Dorne chapters so much was really stupid. There's almost literally half the book between the story of Arianne's capture and her imprisonment, and by the time it came back I'd completely forgotten everything that had happened.

ADWD will help you with that second part, especially if you go back and read their chapters chronologically together.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I've been reading up on the states of ancient Africa (out of a personal fascination with that area and era) and just found out that the original name of Carthage was Qart-ḥadašt, meaning New City in the ancient Phoenician language. I think it's safe to assume that that's where GRRM got the inspiration and name for the city of Qarth from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

oops!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 5, 2013

• Locked thread