Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

navyjack posted:

I misted up a little. Over a stick-figure dwarf. I'd really like Rich to take a swing at some non-graphic fiction, he's got some chops for it, maybe.

Either that or get an artist that's as amazing at art as Rich is at writing and do a Kickstarter for a proper one-off graphic novel. I would buy the poo poo out of something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Rich has demonstrated many times that he's a skilled writer. If you dig around, you can find some of his non-stick art and he's skilled in that department as well (the sketches of Nale and Thog in the Cliffport arc are by him).

I'd genuinely like to see some of his prose or what he'd create in a one-off graphic novel.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I feel like Burlew has a strong and popular future ahead of him in whatever creative direction he chooses to go.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
How many strips in a row is that now?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mildly interesting trivia: #877 has the same title as #333 ("The Bright Side"). I think it's the first repeat title in the comic archive, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Mildly interesting trivia: #877 has the same title as #333 ("The Bright Side"). I think it's the first repeat title in the comic archive, too.

Oh christ, I just went back and read #333 and it's not a coincidence, either.

Rich is a bastard.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

NihilCredo posted:

No, the first repeat title was "Breakfast of Champions".

I have the best taste in this whole damn place

MikeJF posted:

Oh christ, I just went back and read #333 and it's not a coincidence, either.

Rich is a bastard.

Jesus, that strip is incredibly :3:

:(

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ursine Asylum posted:

The most recent kobold seemed aware of what was going on while dominated. More interesting would be "How much would Durkon need to bribe Belkar to keep it under wraps"?

The answer, imo, would be "nothing at all"; I think Belkar would be completely fine with having another "evil-RPing-good" person in the party. Roy would feel perfectly fine leaving Durkon with Belkar to "keep Belkar under control", and then they could go off and do whatever chaotic-evil things their hearts desire. The only question would be, how long would Durkon be able to fake clerical abilities as a vampire? Do they all just transfer to a new god and stay basically the same?

You are assuming new vampire Durkon won't eat Belkar. Durkon will be thirsty and he has Belkar held there under his power

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Carrasco posted:

By D&D rules, Thor is Chaotic Good.

He can't be CG since Durkon is (was :haw: ) LG and clerics can only be one step off from their deity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Effingham posted:

I've always maintained Varsuvius is a male because, being such a pedant and know-it-all, it would drive "her" insane to have a grammatically masculine Latin name.

That never bothered Venus.

inthesto posted:

Rich has demonstrated many times that he's a skilled writer. If you dig around, you can find some of his non-stick art and he's skilled in that department as well (the sketches of Nale and Thog in the Cliffport arc are by him).

Rich used to have a more traditional-looking webcomic on wizards.com. It had a short run. The URL was http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/hq/polyffs1 which of course no longer works. The pictures are still on the server and can be reached directly, from rpga_hq_polyffs1_picMain_en.gif to rpga_hq_polyffs5_picMain_en.gif.

Alternatively you can see the five strips rehosted on imgur:

peak debt posted:

He can't be CG since Durkon is (was :haw: ) LG and clerics can only be one step off from their deity.

The Forgotten Realms setting had some exceptions to that rule for certain deities ("this god is CG but has an order of LG paladins anyway; this god is CE but some clerics still worship him as if he were LN like his predecessor" etc.) so maybe similar house rules exist in the stickverse. After all, Thor wouldn't have many Dwarven followers otherwise.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
This may sound absurd, but I think there is a chance for Durkon to make it out of this merely dead. His comment of how he couldn't be counted on just demands for Belkar to save the day, specially since no one will ever see it. So I say he breaks domination and manages to do something that prevents Durkon from being raised as a vampire (like cutting of his head) before being beaten by Malack, who know has plenty of room in his Hit Dice for him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a myriad of ways to prevent his vampirification, going by most vampire lore and by various D&D rules.

I really don't like the way this ended. The code word to dispel his spell was really lame, and completely unnecessary since blood drain is not a negative energy effect. I think you could have skipped that and just had the grapple and blood drain. It just seemed like a bit of unnecessary deus ex machine.

If Durkon is vamped, I like that he actually might be more powerful than Malack.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 4, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It wasn't Deus Ex Machina, Malack thinking ahead enough to include a backdoor in the spell he helped research was a clever way to pull the carpet out from Durkon and cast their previous friendship in a different light. Just because on a technical rules level Death Ward might not actually be the right spell for blocking vampirification doesn't mean it wasn't an effective little bit of drama.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Malack referred to it as a 'blessing from Nergal'. It's possible it's a special variety of vampirism that counts as a death effect (coming from a death god and all), and so was blocked by the Death Ward.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Maybe Malack doesn't vamp him out of respect and honor for their friendship?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I doubt that these things are mutually exclusive for him.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

You are assuming new vampire Durkon won't eat Belkar. Durkon will be thirsty and he has Belkar held there under his power
Durkon will rise in 1d4 days, barring special spells / Nergal blessing to speed up the process.

Actually that's not necessarily true.

quote:

A humanoid or monstrous humanoid slain by a vampire’s energy drain rises as a vampire spawn 1d4 days after burial.

If the vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD.

(note: energy drain = claw attacks that cause negative levels. Con drain is what you get from bloodsucking.)

So as a DM I would rule that it takes 1d4 days like the energy drain version, since 'instead' seems to imply that the type of creation is the only difference, and it makes sense IMO; but I think a DM could potentially read it as "if you use Con drain they return immediately", particularly if they were just very quickly checking the rules before plotting down their comic.

Calaveron posted:

Maybe Malack doesn't vamp him out of respect and honor for their friendship?
I doubt he would have referred to just killing him as a "compromise".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
1d4 days after burial no less, which could be a while.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

greatn posted:

ok, how does that sound: both Malack and Belkar never get to explain to the OotS what happened to Durkon (in the former's case because he has no reason to, and in the latter's case because he dies. Or any other reason.) In grief and remembering the prophecy, Roy and co. bring Durkon's remains to their rightful resting place in his dwarven home, since they're on their way anyway to look for Kraagor's Gate. 1d4 days later, Durkon rises as a vampire, all hell breaks loose.

Obvious holes in the above plot: why wouldn't they manage to resurrect him, why wouldn't they notice the bite marks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

greatn posted:

I don't think that's a loophole any sane DM would let you get away with,

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

Obvious holes in the above plot: why wouldn't they manage to resurrect him, why wouldn't they notice the bite marks.

The first one's easy: he has to consent to the resurrection. If coming back means he can't go home, he might just refuse.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Niton posted:

The first one's easy: he has to consent to the resurrection. If coming back means he can't go home, he might just refuse.

Well, technically anything he'd do after resurrection would be posthumously!

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
Do 3.5 clerics have access to any teleportation or travel spells? Malack might be able to whisk himself to an undisclosed location with vamp Durkon (Durkula?) in tow?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Getting in late on domination chat, it's generally assumed that unless you give your target a command, they act as they normally would. One of the PCs in my game is a telepath psion, and he's currently using a dominated cardinal as a sort of Manchurian Candidate, since one of the huge benefits to the spell is that you get to know what the target is experiencing. Also, "By concentrating fully on the spell (a standard action), you can receive full sensory input as interpreted by the mind of the subject, though it still can’t communicate with you. You can’t actually see through the subject’s eyes, so it’s not as good as being there yourself, but you still get a good idea of what’s going on." So if nothing else, he might just keep Belkar dominated to keep tabs on the rest of the group for the next 2 weeks.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Simian_Prime posted:

Do 3.5 clerics have access to any teleportation or travel spells? Malack might be able to whisk himself to an undisclosed location with vamp Durkon (Durkula?) in tow?

Word of Recall could take them back to a designated safe location, probably Malack's study back in the palace. It'd mean he couldn't get back to the scene to help Tarquin out though so it seems a bit unlikely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Telling someone is dominated is a measly DC 15 sense motive check though. Even when doing normal things they seem out of it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

peak debt posted:

Clerics of Oghma in FR can be any alignment, as a counter example. Maybe Thor just allows "any good" or something else along those lines. Not a big deal.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

greatn posted:

They're already in a tomb, you could say he is buried already...

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Oxxidation posted:

Snake kills humble dwarf.

You magnificent, horrible, bastard.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Niton posted:

I can't imagine Durkon refusing to come back when he knows what's at stake (no vampire pun intended).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Effingham posted:

You magnificent, horrible, bastard.

Okay, I give up, can someone please explain this reference to me and why everyone loves it so much?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Rich used to have a more traditional-looking webcomic on wizards.com. It had a short run. The URL was http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/hq/polyffs1 which of course no longer works. The pictures are still on the server and can be reached directly, from rpga_hq_polyffs1_picMain_en.gif to rpga_hq_polyffs5_picMain_en.gif.

I really like the "you enter the town of greenhill" one. You know it actually happened multiple times to multiple gms across the world.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Okay, I give up, can someone please explain this reference to me and why everyone loves it so much?

Have you ever read the Harry Potter books?

EDIT:
bigpolar said it better.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 4, 2013

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

It is a near homonym for a spoiler for a series of popular children's books and movies revolving around wart-covered members of the suidae family and hairy ceramic craftsmen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I saw the first one, read the second one, played the videogame of the third one, saw the fourth one, read the fifth one, and saw part two of the seventh one, I don't get the reference.

Oh, ok it rhymes with Snape kills Dumbledore.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

bigpolar posted:

It is a near homonym for a spoiler for a series of popular children's books and movies revolving around wart-covered members of the suidae family and hairy ceramic craftsmen.

And now I need the pig joke explained :doh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

Having done a quick readthrough of most of the recent comics, I'd forgotten all about the "the rift is in Girard's buttcheeks" deal. Wonder how that'll shape up, seeing as we must be getting close to the actual gate at this point in the story.
Pretty sure that was just the corpse of Innocent Draketooth Clan Member creatively interpreting the definition of "rift", as per the unwritten rules of using "you get n questions" spells to gather actually useful information.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Cat Mattress posted:

That never bothered Venus.

The Forgotten Realms setting had some exceptions to that rule for certain deities ("this god is CG but has an order of LG paladins anyway; this god is CE but some clerics still worship him as if he were LN like his predecessor" etc.) so maybe similar house rules exist in the stickverse. After all, Thor wouldn't have many Dwarven followers otherwise.

Nice to know he's been always doing the :pwn: faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

pinegala posted:

And now I need the pig joke explained :doh:

Basic biology, specifically classification nomenclature : Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. All hogs (and pigs) are in the family suidae.

For instance, the complete nomenclature for the giant forest hog is: Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Class Mammalia, Order Artiodactyla, Family Suidae (subfamily Suinae) , Genus Hylochoerus, Species meinertzhageni.