Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

cheapandugly posted:

Pop Market's pretty awful. They're usually selling something alright, but they sign you up for mailing lists for audiophile bullshit stereo equipment if you actually buy something from them.

The only emails I receive are the ones for their daily deal. Never got anything about stereo equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

It's difficult going into those Vinyl-Record-Impulsive-Buyer-Collector-Dump-Auction places where its just filled with a million copies of doowop records and unlabeled 7"s. I feel like I'm in the web of a black widow whenever the owner strikes up a conversation with me and I can't find a non-awkward way to leave the conversation and his vinyl lair without buying anything.

And I keep going back because its right by my bus stop. I go in thinking "there might be something new, I bet" but its always the same Talking Heads album for $40 and the one Yeah Yeah Yeahs album for $30. Oh and an extensive laser disc collection.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That makes more sense. I don't know if you'd be able to do that sort of thing with the thrift stores in New England. Anything worth trading you'd just want to keep for yourself so you'd only end up bringing armfuls of Herb Alpert, Barbara Streisand, and random polka covers to trade in. No decent record store on the planet would give you a dime of credit for those.
Nope, can't do it there really (I've tried) and that's the funny thing, nothing I bring in is every really worth much, at this point I'm trying to figure out what the critical mass of Nazareth 'Hair of the Dog' albums is before they collapse in on themselves and create a singularity.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Jesus Christ I hate flippers. Guess I should have preordered Amok when I had the chance.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WASDF posted:

It's difficult going into those Vinyl-Record-Impulsive-Buyer-Collector-Dump-Auction places where its just filled with a million copies of doowop records and unlabeled 7"s. I feel like I'm in the web of a black widow whenever the owner strikes up a conversation with me and I can't find a non-awkward way to leave the conversation and his vinyl lair without buying anything.

And I keep going back because its right by my bus stop. I go in thinking "there might be something new, I bet" but its always the same Talking Heads album for $40 and the one Yeah Yeah Yeahs album for $30. Oh and an extensive laser disc collection.

I hate stores like this and I always wonder how it is they stay around.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Jesus Christ I hate flippers. Guess I should have preordered Amok when I had the chance.

They're selling it on Acoustic Sounds. I don't know if it's the shiny cover version or not. But anyway, it's in stock.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/88702/Atoms_For_Peace-Amok-Vinyl_Record

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

If you read the last 2 pages, you'd know that it probably wouldn't have helped you. :)

The only reason I'm getting a deluxe version (presumably) on Monday is because I grabbed one from a record store's online shop within an hour of opening my inbox and seeing Amazon's "We're sorry about loving you over with our preorder biz. How about you buy the standard CD edition instead? We've got plenty of those in stock" email. And it was still marked up a couple of bucks (but that's fair).

^It's the standard version.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you read the last 2 pages, you'd know that it probably wouldn't have helped you. :)

The only reason I'm getting a deluxe version (presumably) on Monday is because I grabbed one from a record store's online shop within an hour of opening my inbox and seeing Amazon's "We're sorry about loving you over with our preorder biz. How about you buy the standard CD edition instead? We've got plenty of those in stock" email. And it was still marked up a couple of bucks (but that's fair).

Yeah, I got lucky with Amazon.co.uk because I had that thing pre-ordered at NormanRecords ever since it was announced and they still didn't get enough copies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I figured that, but I also assumed it would be nice to know for anyone who actually wants it to hear the music.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Thanks, everyone. I'll get the standard version, that's fine.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I did read the last two pages and what I got out of it was that some people were lucky and actually got it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I figured that, but I also assumed it would be nice to know for anyone who actually wants it to hear the music.

I wasn't referring to you, sorry. It was meant for the post above you.

Edit: I mean, that part was for you but I didn't mean it to sound as lovely as it did. I just figured he was referring to the deluxe version from the get-go since the standard's never been sold out- and, thus, had issues with flippers- as far as I know.

Double edit: ^And sorry I said it like such an rear end in a top hat.

(Jeez, I've got to be more careful with the iPhone app. I guess my bus posts are really curt.)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 2, 2013

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
Any good record stores in Nashville, TN? Ol' girl and myself are going to be in the area, and I would love to kill some time browsing some stores outside of my own.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Pookdaddy G posted:

Any good record stores in Nashville, TN? Ol' girl and myself are going to be in the area, and I would love to kill some time browsing some stores outside of my own.

Go to Third Man Records.
Buy every ridiculous bullshit special edition there.
Sell it all on eBay.
Buy yourself a gold fish.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Go to Third Man Records.
Sell it all on eBay.
Buy yourself a gold fish.

The only time I ever really thought "I must have this" in relation to their whacky special editions is the new Gibby Haynes single. It's a flexi disc pressed on a medical X-ray. That is just too cool. And it really fits the artist it's for. If I recall correctly they're only being sold at the SXSW festival through the Rolling Record Store.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Go to Third Man Records.
Sell it all to us at cost

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And become king of The Vinyl Thread.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If I ever went there this is a thing I'd actually do. Also I saw Jack on tv talking about all the special editions and he outright said he's just messing with obsessive collectors.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
I'm gonna chime in on Popmarket and say that it entirely depends on what you order from them and when. If you buy something from the webstore, it's generally in the mail the next day and at your door by week's end. If you order the daily deal your gonna wait awhile for them to get the stock in before shipping it. You're saving money by waiting a little longer, so if you can't deal with that then buy somewhere else.

I ordered the Sloan Twice Removed deluxe box around Dec 1 but didn't see it until mid-January but they warned me of the wait (4-6 weeks) off the bat.

Also never any spam or bullshit emails from them.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I bought the Fleetwood Mac - Rumors reissue today, it's like vinyl magic. I listened to it when I came home. Had some people over later, one of the early arrivers dug it out and wanted to listen to it too, and then about two hours later it was on again.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Laser Cow posted:

I bought the Fleetwood Mac - Rumors reissue today, it's like vinyl magic. I listened to it when I came home. Had some people over later, one of the early arrivers dug it out and wanted to listen to it too, and then about two hours later it was on again.

Does the reissue sound good?/is it worth whatever the asking price is?

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008

my recent purchases, awaiting m b v in the mail. lost tracks and rare cuts is a bootleg but the clerk assured me it sounded great and worth it for a fan. and it is! so loving stellar, the back half especially is a treasure trove. evokes radiohead, portishead, fleetwood mac, lots of others. the vinyl can be easily found online too if interested.

and mark hollis concludes my mark hollis discography (all five talk talk records + solo).

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Pookdaddy G posted:

I live in Nashville and we have a few.

The most popular seems to be Grimey's (on Rolling Stone's top 10 record stores, for what it's worth). They have the largest selection of new vinyl in town and some used stuff.

Then there is The Groove, which has a good selection of new vinyl and a lot of used stuff. I go here most often as their close to my house and their new arrivals used section has a pretty good churn and I usually find something I like. Good prices on used stuff.

We also have The Great Escape which has two locations and only sells used vinyl. The location on Charlotte Ave has a larger selection. Prices are decent.

Lastly, there is Phonolux. They only sell used records and are on the expensive side, but has a lot of good stuff that doesn't show up often in the other stores. They are only open Friday through Sunday.

Also, as someone mentioned, Third Man Records is here and has a small shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I would think Third Man would be a required stop if you're fan of Jack White's music. Apparently he's actually in the shop fairly often. So you might even get to meet him.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 3, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I would thing Third Man would be a required stop if you're fan of Jack White's music. Apparently he's actually in the shop fairly often. So you might even get to meet him.

Well It's worth going to and is right between Grimey's and The Groove if you have want to make a run to all three stores.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

nomapple posted:

I purchased same deal from popmarket. $30 and it sounds really loving good.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

nomapple posted:

It sounds fantastic, and the extras are actually really cool. I paid too much for it (Norway) so you'll have to work out if it's worth it to you. My copy of m b v turned up yesterday as well, sleeve was a bit damaged because the box was far too big and it had been slamming around inside. Listening to it now, sounds good so far.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Don't wait until something is in my Cart to tell me it's Backordered. :argh: Insound :argh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is posting your :krad: setup still the cool thing to do in this thread? (pictures crossposted in the desktop threads, hence the laptop-view one)

My roomie and I are still in the process of putting up art and curtains all over the new apartment, but the dining/music/reading room is ready enough and the ladder was handy, so I snapped a few pics. It's not quite there yet- hopefully the mess will be gone by week's end. We've really put a lot of work into the place over the last 3 weeks. The blue on the walls used to be a gross hospital pink/beige.

The plan with the armchair/side table is to turn that spot into a little reading/listening nook complete with fancy headphones in the near future. There are actually about a good ~4 feet between them and the dining table, so the space isn't nearly as cramped as the angle in the photo makes it look.

The Expedit "credenza" has a good portion of my vinyl in it, but a fair amount's boxed up in my bedroom. To be honest, I still don't know where I'm going to put it.

Click for big:

As far as equipment:

Table: Vector Research VT-250. I plan to replace it with a lime green Debut Carbon in the spring.

Receiver: Nakamichi Receiver-2. I love the hell out of this thing, but I've got this Yamaha CR-2040 with double the WPC waiting to take its place once I finish cleaning it up and slap some new veneer on it. Hopefully it'll look something like this when I'm done fixing it. I'm gonna put the Nak in my bedroom eventually.

Speakers: Technics SB-K14 and Bose 201 Series IV. Altogether, they cost me $16. Both pairs are pretty crappy on their own, but together they make a halfway decent stereo setup since the Technics have no real midrange to speak of and the Bose are basically nothing but midrange. They're also on my 'Replace' list for summer but I've got no idea what I'll put in their stead yet.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 4, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

that's a p sick set up, bro. I would love to live with a friend who is into music so we could just have an awesome chill space like that. I'm pretty jealous, I gotta say.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WASDF posted:

that's a p sick set up, bro. I would love to live with a friend who is into music so we could just have an awesome chill space like that. I'm pretty jealous, I gotta say.

Yeah. He's family (a cousin) so we go waaaay back. There's also a proper living room a few feet away that's basically his Xbox-and-movie domain so it's fair. Also, he's got free-reign to put Doors and Santana records on whenever he wants.

On a somewhat related note, I've been thinking about doing a Boston-area vinyl goon meet 'n greet at some point in the future. The real Boston goon meet crew seems to be perennially busy and I'm still in "just moved here" mode. Would anyone be interested?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah. He's family (a cousin) so we go waaaay back. There's also a proper living room a few feet away that's basically his Xbox-and-movie domain so it's fair. Also, he's got free-reign to put Doors and Santana records on whenever he wants.

On a somewhat related note, I've been thinking about doing a Boston-area vinyl goon meet 'n greet at some point in the future. The real Boston goon meet crew seems to be perennially busy and I'm still in "just moved here" mode. Would anyone be interested?

I live about an hour from Boston and occasionally go there to buy records. So maybe. Not for a while though. That lot I posted earlier was from my most recent trip to Harvard Square. I'm going to try to not buy any more records for a while.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would, but it'll be a couple of months or so before I'm back up there (excepting the Sigur Ros concert later this month).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I live about an hour from Boston and occasionally go there to buy records. So maybe. Not for a while though. That lot I posted earlier was from my most recent trip to Harvard Square. I'm going to try to not buy any more records for a while.

iostream.h posted:

I would, but it'll be a couple of months or so before I'm back up there (excepting the Sigur Ros concert later this month).

That works. I just figured I'd float the idea out there since I'm always down to share the hobby and be social about it and whatnot. Let me know when you guys are in the area next, I guess?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That works. I just figured I'd float the idea out there since I'm always down to share the hobby and be social about it and whatnot. Let me know when you guys are in the area next, I guess?

On a related note, have you been to Planet Records? It's on Mt Auburn Street on the edge of Harvard Square. Aside from it being a cool place, they print and give out a list of all the Boston record shops. I thought that was a pretty cool thing. Plus I learned about some places I didn't know about.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just bought a thing.

Man Man - Six Demon Bag 2x10" /1000

:3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

On a related note, have you been to Planet Records? It's on Mt Auburn Street on the edge of Harvard Square. Aside from it being a cool place, they print and give out a list of all the Boston record shops. I thought that was a pretty cool thing. Plus I learned about some places I didn't know about.

No I haven't, and I must now. Thanks for letting me know. I'll check them out this week.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So I just found out that this is a thing.

Too bad finding one under $100 is impossible :( It came out around the same time I started collecting records. Back then I never would have expected being able to find game soundtracks on vinyl.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 4, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have been fiending one of those for a long time, I think the cheapest I saw one go for was about $60.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That soundtrack is really good, too. Man I want that now.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dr. Lenin posted:

So I just found out that this is a thing.

Too bad finding one under $100 is impossible :( It came out around the same time I started collecting records. Back then I never would have expected being able to find game soundtracks on vinyl.
Never got around to playing the game but the soundtrack is done by two members of Friends of Dean Martinez so I still want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

this guy has that record and you don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7MvuLy8MYE