Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think u mean standard def digital, not analog. analog is the channels your 20 year old tv can get plugged directly into the cable. I don't think many providers have much more than 60 analog channels. each of those channels is gigantic and static so they block off a huge amount of bandwidth on the coax. by switching everyone to digital they free up that space for switched digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ah, yeah, i meant digital sd, nevermind

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

I think u mean standard def digital, not analog. analog is the channels your 20 year old tv can get plugged directly into the cable. I don't think many providers have much more than 60 analog channels. each of those channels is gigantic and static so they block off a huge amount of bandwidth on the coax. by switching everyone to digital they free up that space for switched digital.

yeah pretty much. one standard analog cable channel's space could provide 2 or 3 high quality 720p or 1080i digital channels, or up to 8 SD resolution digital channels.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
is there still analog cable in canada? because ota is 100% digital now i think

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres probably lots. ota is totally separate and way way way way easier to switch from analog to digital cause you only need to do it at a few source broadcasters and let the consumers deal w/ switching their own gear. whereas w/ cable cos they are responsible for switching each individual customer from analog to digital. this is almost entirely about getting into old people's houses to install an adapter between the tv and the cable. its quite a struggle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

is there still analog cable in canada? because ota is 100% digital now i think

yes. lots of cable systems simply haven't carried out the conversions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
eventually cable cos will get to a point where they have a handful of holdouts who wont let them convert and the cable cos will just drop them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yeah cell companies did the same thing. my old roomate got an offer from ATT or us cellular or whoever offering him their most baller (at the time) phone for free just so they could get his 10 year old analog phone off the network. his options were take the baller phone, take any other phone he wanted, or be dropped.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yeah cell companies did the same thing. my old roomate got an offer from ATT or us cellular or whoever offering him their most baller (at the time) phone for free just so they could get his 10 year old analog phone off the network. his options were take the baller phone, take any other phone he wanted, or be dropped.

was he literally old, in this case?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

no just one of those technophobes who hated using a cell phone for anything but phone calls and his laughably huge old nokia was "good enough", he was like early 20s at the time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

eventually cable cos will get to a point where they have a handful of holdouts who wont let them convert and the cable cos will just drop them.

yeah thats what they did here. except instead of drop people they issued the absolute most basic digital cable box you can imagine for free to anyone with an analog only subscription and told them they could have a free install job from comcast, install the free device themselves, or just not ever watch cable again.

the cable box is like the size of an apple tv 3 and all it has on the remote is power, change channel and volume

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they give those to the ones that let them in to install them. theres a whole other category of olds who refuse to let them change anything.

my grandma has one of those little boxes which is for the best cause she really wouldn't understand how a digital box works. its actually pretty slick, imo, cause she really cant tell that its there

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

they give those to the ones that let them in to install them. theres a whole other category of olds who refuse to let them change anything.

my grandma has one of those little boxes which is for the best cause she really wouldn't understand how a digital box works. its actually pretty slick, imo, cause she really cant tell that its there

it turns out that when you inform them that "no really, you aren't getting anymore of your cable if you don't let us install this, because the signal is shutting off on may 1st" they change their minds p quick.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

When they announced ATSC standards for OTA broadcasts I was like "really? thats it?"

in 2013 it's the highest quality tv source you can get now in the home.

:((((((

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

-Every person over 50 ever

every person ever

i have to explain to people toat 720p and 1080p are just resolutions and that just because the number is bigger doesn't mean the video is magically better

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

When they announced ATSC standards for OTA broadcasts I was like "really? thats it?"

in 2013 it's the highest quality tv source you can get now in the home.

:((((((

Depends on the market-- here we negotiated a full QAM channel for our cable carriage, so OTA we have a 720p @ ~9 mbit plus 4 SD subs, but over cable we ship basically unmolested 1080i at close to 16. Some other locals did the same so OTA looks noticeably worse than what cox delivers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

• In .mp4 variable framerates that change

that's not a big deal, gifs have independent frame delays already.

speaking of video codecs that suck: webp, the image format that is based on webm, has animation support. at least there are tools that let you construct webp animations, but i don't know if any viewers support animated webp. apparently animated webp frame delays are expressed in ms instead of 1/100 of seconds, so you will be able to get closer to traditional frame rates than with gif.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

the ATSC standards are 18 years old

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it's weird here in aus cable is a premium tier service and just about everybody else watches poo poo OTA for free

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

it's weird here in aus cable is a premium tier service and just about everybody else watches poo poo OTA for free

thats pretty much how it is in every country that had like only 2 channels up until the late 80s.

like in the us and canada cable systems started to get subscription over tv services by the mid 70s, and later satellite did too. but in australia there wasn't any regular broadcast tv at all until 1956 and they didn't get more than 5 channels nationwide til the 90s iirc

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Install Gentoo posted:

thats pretty much how it is in every country that had like only 2 channels up until the late 80s.

like in the us and canada cable systems started to get subscription over tv services by the mid 70s, and later satellite did too. but in australia there wasn't any regular broadcast tv at all until 1956 and they didn't get more than 5 channels nationwide til the 90s iirc

surprised they even had 5 channels what with all the thunderdomes and gas wars everywhere

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Are there really cable networks in first world countries which aren't on DOCSIS 3.0? Here modems were rolled out in 2008 starting at 100Mb/s, 200Mb/s in 2011, now its up to 350Mb/s, alongside a shitload of SD digital channels and a bunch of HD ones.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Some guys are working on a vector based video codec instead of a pixel based one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_f1ukhy2ZE

http://www.rawcomms.net/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F5-vector-based-video-and-death-of-the-pixel-within-5-years#.UTUGlDDFTTr

quote:

Digital pictures are built from a rectangular grid of coloured cells, or pixels. The smaller and closer the pixels are together, the better the quality of the image. Pixel-based movies need huge amounts of data and have to be compressed, losing quality. They are also difficult and time consuming to process.

The alternative, a vector-based format, presents the image using contoured colours. Until now there has not been a way to choose and fill between the contours at professional quality. The Bath team has finally solved these problems.

A codec is a computer programme capable of encoding or decoding a digital video stream. The researchers at Bath have developed a new, highly sophisticated codec which is able to create and fill between contours, overcoming the problems preventing their widespread use. The result is a resolution-independent form of movie or image, capable of the highest visual quality but without a pixel in sight.

~my computer programme~

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
It's gonna easily be like 20 years before cable companies switch to h.264.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

JumpinJackFlash posted:

It's gonna easily be like 20 years before cable companies switch to h.264.

yeah and like 50 before the telegraph companies switch to fiber optics

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bensa posted:

Are there really cable networks in first world countries which aren't on DOCSIS 3.0? Here modems were rolled out in 2008 starting at 100Mb/s, 200Mb/s in 2011, now its up to 350Mb/s, alongside a shitload of SD digital channels and a bunch of HD ones.

what tiny monoculture do you live in?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Our OTA is DVB-T, the raw bit rate is like 6-8 Mbps 720p H.264 with AAC audio at 50p.
Turns out it looks pretty good when it's not displayed on a POS TV with ~*post processing*~ that seems to consist of saturation to 150%, lovely noise reduction filter that blurs everything to poo poo followed by a sharpening filter to make up for the lovely noise reduction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
50p? grossss

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
IIRC they said they do internal processing at 720i50 and then deinterlace for output, it looks really good though, literally never seen a macroblock on digital TV.

Also works well for recording and watching on a PC with a USB dongle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
everything should be at least 60 imo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Install Gentoo posted:

everything should be at least 60 imo

I seriously doubt a normal person can tell the difference between a 50 Hz and a 60 Hz signal on an LCD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MY SPECIAL EYES

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
like I know 50 Hz CRTs are loving poo poo but I have never heard anyone say 50p is not enough for silky smooth video

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

longview posted:

I seriously doubt a normal person can tell the difference between a 50 Hz and a 60 Hz signal on an LCD.

more is better

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

MY SPECIAL EYES

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

longview posted:

like I know 50 Hz CRTs are loving poo poo but I have never heard anyone say 50p is not enough for silky smooth video
its more than double 24 so idk why people would complain really
i mean 48 is good enough for peter jackson

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

60P is best becuase 24P pulldown in it is p hard to see

50P sucks becuase you cant do 24P, you have to speed it up and do 25P.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

MY SPECIAL EYES

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can I be the first to say that framerates are gay?

also can't WE just make a standard for looping h264 with a header that defines framerates and 1 video stream alone and that's all

yos264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

60P is best becuase 24P pulldown in it is p hard to see

50P sucks becuase you cant do 24P, you have to speed it up and do 25P.

yeah 3:2 has problems and all but its better than having hosed up pitch and such

• Locked thread